• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karl Urban to star in JJ Abrams' new buddy comedy show about robot cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

If you're wondering, this is the robot:

michael_ealy_a_p.jpg

HYLSHUp.png

Chichikov

Reminds me a bit of this, too:

Gj6Tixi.jpg
Ahhh yes, the 80s.
I often wonder how much cocaine was involved so when someone came and pitched "hey, let's make a show about space Mexicans!" they went, yeah, fuck yeah, let's get Mandy Patinkin on the job!

p.s.
Fun fact, I once persuaded one of the less bright kids in high school that you can actually get drunk from spoiled milk.
As he had later found out, it's merely bypass the whole drunk thing and go straight to puking.
Good times.

This.....has got potential. Brad Anderson involvement(even if it may only be the first episode) is promising, as if I remember correctly he directed some of the better if not best episodes of Fringe. Also directed The Machinist.

Urban Karl is a badass.

Saty

Yes, because TV shows that had in some way Abram's name attached to them turned out to be so, so good.

Chichikov

What did Urban bring to the role? He delivered monotone lines and did not emote. The director is responsible for it not being a Stallone retread.
I tell you what he didn't bring, depth and complexity, and that's a very very good thing in a movie like Dredd.
Also, he looked like grumpy cat the entire run of the film and kept his fucking helmet on, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Sounds fantastic.

And yes, Urban was perfect for Dredd. I realize that's hard to understand for people who didn't read the comic but Urban fucking nailed it.

I tell you what he didn't bring, depth and complexity, and that's a very very good thing in a movie like Dredd.
Also, he looked like grumpy cat the entire run of the film and kept his fucking helmet on, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

That was my point. Anyone could play Dredd.

Burger

Oh right, the 'robot' is a person pretending to be a robot (aka Couldn't Afford the CGI). I wonder if there is a wisecrack about how good he is at dancing the robot.

Hilarious.

G-Fex

Oh right, the 'robot' is a person pretending to be a robot (aka Couldn't Afford the CGI). I wonder if there is a wisecrack about how good he is at dancing the robot.

Hilarious.

You know I always hated that. I really fucking kinda hate that. I don't know if it counts as a trope or whatever but the cop out of making the robot a person just kinda ticks me off.

Burger

You know I always hated that. I really fucking kinda hate that. I don't know if it counts as a trope or whatever but the cop out of making the robot a person just kinda ticks me off.

Obviously you can't have a robot, you need an android. An android that looks remarkably human except for skin colour that's slightly off or glowy eyes. Just write all the lines extremely literally and bang, robot cop sidekick. That way you can have the audience relate to the android, anthropomorphise the shit out of it. Have stories where he doesn't quite cry but secretly you think he did.

Two of the best 'sidekick robots' I've seen lately were Gerty from "Moon" and the robot from "Robot and Frank". Making it just a 'weird guy' defeats the purpose of the robot bit.

G-Fex

Obviously you can't have a robot, you need an android. An android that looks remarkably human except for skin colour that's slightly off or glowy eyes. Just write all the lines extremely literally and bang, robot cop sidekick. That way you can have the audience relate to the android, anthropomorphise the shit out of it. Have stories where he doesn't quite cry but secretly you think he did.

Two of the best 'sidekick robots' I've seen lately were Gerty from "Moon" and the robot from "Robot and Frank". Making it just a 'weird guy' defeats the purpose of the robot bit.

god forbid you have a robot that actually looks like a robot on tv or anything.

Chichikov

I refused to watch the new Battlestar Galactica for that very reason.
That and the fact they replaced face with a chick.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This makes me want an alien nation remake. It could be so damn awesome

It was floating around not so long ago. It's a damn shame the project seems MIA.

p.s.
Fun fact, I once persuaded one of the less bright kids in high school that you can actually get drunk from spoiled milk.
As he had later found out, it's merely bypass the whole drunk thing and go straight to puking.
Good times.

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

pestul

Karl Urban is quickly replacing Christian Bale as GAF's crush. That's alright though, love me some Urban too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom