• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

OFLOj.png

Secret best girl.
Who?
Very tempted to change avy now....
You should. Anything would be better than what you got now.

Who?

You should. Anything would be better than what you got now.

How dare you insult me
High-five.

I was discussing with my friend..Rin's path is less about having waifu material, and more about seeing yourself and your weirdness, in her, and being able to relate to her so hard it's weird.
Yeah...my god were there times when I just wanted to hurl my lappy out the window playing her route, but man was it worth it. Also looking at her intro again is very saddening to me as it is filled with spoilers of what the route will be about, but done so to the point where you have no idea until you actually play the whole route and watch the intro movie again..

Just finished 100% Lilly path.
I've got 3/5 done now! (Emi, Hanako, Lilly)

Lilly's path has easily been my favorite so far. The relationship and interaction felt the most believable of the three I've played. Also, I think I liked Hanako more in Lilly's path than in her own path. : (
The set piece stuff was pretty solid, and I liked that the heart condition was actually part of the story again. I had kind of forgotten that it could be, since Hanako's was rather devoid of it.

The more I play the paths, the more I'm getting a 999 vibe from it. Not in so much the way it's written or anything, but I'm just gaining the perspectives that help fill in the holes of why people behave and do the things they are in the story. Rin has been the most mysterious of the lot, and I'm thinking I'll go for my Shizune route next. Want to save the mysterious one for last.

Kenji is getting more and more complex the longer I play this. Pretty cool dude.

XeroSauce

Just finished 100% Lilly path.
I've got 3/5 done now! (Emi, Hanako, Lilly)

Lilly's path has easily been my favorite so far. The relationship and interaction felt the most believable of the three I've played. Also, I think I liked Hanako more in Lilly's path than in her own path. : (
The set piece stuff was pretty solid, and I liked that the heart condition was actually part of the story again. I had kind of forgotten that it could be, since Hanako's was rather devoid of it.

The more I play the paths, the more I'm getting a 999 vibe from it. Not in so much the way it's written or anything, but I'm just gaining the perspectives that help fill in the holes of why people behave and do the things they are in the story. Rin has been the most mysterious of the lot, and I'm thinking I'll go for my Shizune route next. Want to save the mysterious one for last.

Kenji is getting more and more complex the longer I play this. Pretty cool dude.

You're pretty much saying the exact same stuff I did a few months back lol.

High-five.

I was discussing with my friend..Rin's path is less about having waifu material, and more about seeing yourself and your weirdness, in her, and being able to relate to her so hard it's weird.
Yeah, you don't really
start the relationship until the very end
with both her and Hanako, and if any of them were to get a sequel, those two would be the ones I'd be most interested in.
How dare you insult me
image.php

much better

Feel like my eyes are about to fall out of my head, but I finished up Shizune's path and 100% Rin's path today.

100% Katawa Shoujo, finally...

Shizune Path
Shizune's path kind of disappointed me. It felt much more like it should have been Misha's path than it should have been Shizune's. I suppose I wouldn't have minded as much if the more relationship building parts between Shizune and Hisao weren't mentioned as "remember that time?" stuff. I do appreciate they at least took an interesting twist on the formula of the game by spinning it more towards Shizune and Misha's relationship, but it felt weighed down with a lot of fillery feeling writing. Honestly, a lot of the entire path felt that way. In the end, I liked it okay, but it lost steam the longer it went on.

If there is one thing I would complain about without qualifying, it would be the writing for Kenji and Yuuko in this path. Kenji's got better as it went on, but both of the characters felt like they became parodies of themselves in Shizune's story. They were too over the top in their quirks/behaviors, and it felt really forced. Just didn't work well. Well, except for Kenji, who had a good moment or two and got better in time. The glasses scene was surprisingly touching, haha.

Rin Path
Rin's path has me feeling kind of mixed. On one hand, it did a decent job exploring Rin and her insecurities/inability to express herself and her thoughts, but I didn't find myself liking the methods they did it. I can both appreciate and dislike how sequestered her entire path felt from any other characters. It helped achieve that floating out in an ocean by yourself feeling, but it left me really devoid of any of the interactions with other characters that really boosted the storytelling in the other paths.

Maybe it was more my dislike of the teacher and the art gallery lady, but I found myself struggling to stay engaged with Rin's ever-growing distance and unlikeable side characters. Once again, I'm sure that was intentional, but it really wore me down. I had to start and stop the path multiple times this evening, haha.

I guess I'm just really torn over this path in general. There were some really great moments where they nailed the interaction and atmosphere, and there were times that just felt like I wanted to hit the fast forward button on the tape to get to the things that I cared about. The good ending left me on a positive note on the entire experience, though, and felt like a great final ending to the entire game itself.

Rin was my last choice, since she appeared to be such an enigma, and I got what I wished for.

What began as purely an interest to see what the fruits of a renegade group's efforts could be turned into a genuine interest and overall enjoyment of a genre I had very, very little experience with. It wasn't a perfect experience by any means, but I feel like I've found a new appreciation for what enthusiasts can find personally captivating to revisit the format again and again.
In a way, I'm a little disappointed that it took a free project to finally give it a serious chance, but I'm grateful for the hard work the team put into making such a well-rounded and memorable game.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go put tape over my eyes and pray they stay in my eye-sockets.

Noi

Shizune's route kinda suffered from being half-mixed with Misha. I still liked it because Shizune rocks, but it would have been nice to have more of
Hisao learning sign language to talk to Shizune instead of him picking it up fairly quickly
and... maybe mellowing out on Jigoro a bit. Was nice that they start their relationship fairly early, at least.

One thing I liked about KS in general that not many other VNs do, is that it doesn't always feel like Hisao needs to become a central part of the girl's lives for them to get their shit together. Like how during Lilly's route,
Hanako arguably ends up with a "happier" ending/better development than what she gets during her own route, though this is partially because the issues in her route don't end up resolved until the very end.
With other games, I can't help but wonder about some of the heroines during other girl's routes, partially because it was the lead getting together with them that triggered X event to fix whatever issues they had, and they'd otherwise be screwed.

One thing I liked about KS in general that not many other VNs do, is that it doesn't always feel like Hisao needs to become a central part of the girl's lives for them to get their shit together.
I don't have any other frame of reference to compare this to, but I do agree.
I thought it was good that Hisao wasn't really the knight in shining armor, as he seemed to often cause more harm than help. It felt appropriate that, in most cases, the other characters would come to a realization/point on their own that shifted towards the conclusion of a path.

In all my dramatics last night, I totally forgot to address the aspect of the disabilities.
I think overall, it was handled quite well. There wasn't the fetishistic tone to it that most people complained about it likely taking around release. In fact, it often felt more like the writers were eager to share some perspective they too had gained in either researching for their writing or had from an earlier time in life. I wouldn't go so far as to say there was anything that was truly eye opening in the entire game, but there were definitely moments in the writing that would kind of sting because of how much I took smaller actions and events for granted. Heck, even Hisao did a good job of that.

It's been the longest since I went through Emi's route, but my recollections seem to suggest that her path probably handled the issue of living with disabilities the best in my mind. Or perhaps it was simply more pronounced? Either way, I thought Emi, Lilly, and Shizune probably had the most interesting and explored of the disabilities of the students.

Hisao's felt like the worst, only if because it was so inconsistent. The writing for Lilly and Emi did a great job in making his condition mean something in the story, while the other paths seemed to remember it very rarely or forget it all together.
I think I do feel as though I've come away with a better understanding and appreciation for the potential mindset and difficulties that one might face with such conditions. KS did at least give me a bit of poking and prodding in looking at how I would adjust to a situation such as any of the characters in the game or how I would be inclined to behave towards someone in their position.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
^^^Exactly what I was thinking. Kill Bill style.

- - -

I feel like a change. Been toying with the possibility of changing my avatar.

What do you guys think? Stick with what I've got OR:

Solaire.png

Sunbro Solaire from Dark Souls

brakenwoodidle.gif

Bitey of Brakenwood

or maybe even something else. What do you think?

Also I made a bunch of quick avatars from the those watercolor images if anyone wants one feel free to grab:

1-1.jpg
2-1.jpg
3-1.jpg
4-1.jpg
5-1.jpg
6-1.jpg
7-1.jpg
8-1.jpg

EDIT: Thinking about avatars got me remembering when people used to have those static avatars that cycled through a set of images or even just random images upon each loading. You guys remember that? There were some pretty creative ones about as well. Overall don't miss the animated avatars though aside from the occasional funny classic.

You can't use animated gifs for avatars here no more, and the max size for avatars is 100x120, so you can go a bit bigger on those avatars.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You can't use animated gifs for avatars here no more, and the max size for avatars is 100x120, so you can go a bit bigger on those avatars.
Yeah I would be converting the Bitey image to static.

And shoot, I forgot we have some extra space to work with. Cheers.

XeroSauce

- - -

Solaire.png

brakenwoodidle.gif

Bitey of Brakenwood

Also I made a bunch of quick avatars from the those watercolor images if anyone wants one feel free to grab:

1-1.jpg
2-1.jpg
3-1.jpg
4-1.jpg
5-1.jpg
6-1.jpg
7-1.jpg
8-1.jpg

EDIT: Thinking about avatars got me remembering when people used to have those static avatars that cycled through a set of images or even just random images upon each loading. You guys remember that? There were some pretty creative ones about as well. Overall don't miss the animated avatars though aside from the occasional funny classic.

I like your current avatar, I recognize it in threads cause it pops out. If you insist, Sunbro.

Starring Hisao as "The Bride"

Bwaaahh, what happened to your avy? For a moment I thought you were BGBW

- - -

Solaire.png

brakenwoodidle.gif

Bitey of Brakenwood

1-1.jpg
2-1.jpg
3-1.jpg
4-1.jpg
5-1.jpg
6-1.jpg
7-1.jpg
8-1.jpg

I'd go Sunbro, but I like your current one.
I will also be taking that Yuuko and Hanako avy's Thank you

Owly!!! I missed you....you and Jinty

*throws a smoke bomb, disappears*

ok so i got this idea for a VN.

The smoke bomb is actually filled with billons of sex cells. And they all have sex with each one of jintor's cells. one by one they all have families and grow old together and have a life of their own, moving their seperate ways from the other cells. Hence why Jintor disappears. so people like having different routes and stories? well this one will have billions! trillioins! heart artery is mai waifu. left pinky fingernail made me cry manly tears! etc etc

ORIGINAL CONTENT. DO NOT STEAL.

The smoke bomb is actually filled with billons of sex cells. And they all have sex with each one of jintor's cells. one by one they all have families and grow old together and have a life of their own, moving their seperate ways from the other cells. Hence why Jintor disappears. so people like having different routes and stories? well this one will have billions! trillioins! heart artery is mai waifu. left pinky fingernail made me cry manly tears! etc etc

o_O

I'm creating the sprites as we speak!

Chrom

Ahoy, fellow members. I just started playing this game the other day, and I've been pretty hooked on it ever since. Right now, I think I'm just about done with Lilly's route.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to how I should continue playing the rest of it? I'm personally a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choices.

Ahoy, fellow members. I just started playing this game the other day, and I've been pretty hooked on it ever since. Right now, I think I'm just about done with Lilly's route.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations as to how I should continue playing the rest of it? I'm personally a bit overwhelmed by the amount of choices.

Save Rin for last. You'll thank me later
Hanako. *Manly tear

Best Waifu. Best Route.
Welcome to the club good Sir/Madam

XeroSauce

If you just did Lilly I'd avoid Hanako for a bit, they overlap.

Go Emi, Shizune, Hanako, Rin.
Always end on Rin. Makes you question life.

abusori

Well, I managed to go 4 years without changing the avatar I use everywhere...but.

Now I'm also justified in going WAHAHAHAHA~ occasionally, right?

Top Bottom