• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

I started up Rin's route again, I just finished chapter two. I'm starting to like it more as I appreciate Rin's character. I'm looking forward to completing the rest of Rin's route, let's check out this sadness everyone is speaking about!

Stuck between which route was better: Lilly or Rin. ;_;

Lilly's path.
Hanako's route

Stuck between which route was better: Lilly or Rin. ;_;

Lilly and Rin are like* Ying and Yang. They compliment each other perfectly.

*Oh fuck. Just realized something while thinking about similes(Rin spoiler):
Iwanako feeds Hisao apples and Hisao feeds Rin oranges. Apples and oranges.

McNum

So apparently I'm stuck with Emi cause I wanted to see if my heart would explode or not

laaaaaaaaaaaaaame
Well, yes, unless you've been nice to Shizune, then you still haven't locked your route. But that scene is somewhat tricky to get.

Boney

Banned
Well, yes, unless you've been nice to Shizune, then you still haven't locked your route. But that scene is somewhat tricky to get.

Can't say I have, which is a bummer cause seeing Hanako is apparently what everybody's been raving about, I wanted to see her route, seeing it's my first VN and wanted to get a good first impression.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the character art, and the music kinda feels generic I guess, but writing isn't bad, it's pretty believable and that's a strong suit. Been enjoying myself, but kinda bummed I was kinda forced to this route by just one choice it seems.

McNum

Emi's route is nice, too, but if you want another, just restart the game and use Skip Mode (in the right click menu) to rush through the text you already read. Skip Mode is crazy fast, I think you can complete the game in 5-10 minutes if you pick choices you already picked. That's full from act 1 to a good ending, by the way. To get back to the scene you were at should be no more than a few minutes. (Act 1 spoiler)
Or you can sidestep it by choosing "Maybe" when the nurse asks you to get more exercise.

Boney

Banned
Emi's route is nice, too, but if you want another, just restart the game and use Skip Mode (in the right click menu) to rush through the text you already read. Skip Mode is crazy fast, I think you can complete the game in 5-10 minutes if you pick choices you already picked. That's full from act 1 to a good ending, by the way. To get back to the scene you were at should be no more than a few minutes. (Act 1 spoiler)
Or you can sidestep it by choosing "Maybe" when the nurse asks you to get more exercise.

Decisions decisions.

btw what's wrong with pinky?

Can't say I have, which is a bummer cause seeing Hanako is apparently what everybody's been raving about, I wanted to see her route, seeing it's my first VN and wanted to get a good first impression.

Can't say I'm a big fan of the character art, and the music kinda feels generic I guess, but writing isn't bad, it's pretty believable and that's a strong suit. Been enjoying myself, but kinda bummed I was kinda forced to this route by just one choice it seems.

I don't think you'd enjoy Hanako's route if you don't like Emi's. Hanako's route is pretty glacial in terms of character development. Everyone's just HNNNGGGing over her cause she's kawaii ~uguu~ shy desu and rocks a nice casual outfit. There is a nice emotional payoff at the very end, but the road there can be taxing on your patience. Emi's route is actually a really good one to start off with. She's written like an actual teenaged girl, and there's a fair share of hilarity peppered amidst the heartbreak and drama. It's not a bad route at all.

McNum

Decisions decisions.

btw what's wrong with pinky?
Misha? Misha is Misha. She has a reason to be at the school, too, but it's pretty spoilerish to just say it out loud here as that is a fairly major point in one of the arcs.

And no, her lack of volume control and no sense of personal space is not why she's there.

Emi and Lilly are the best starter routes imo. The former takes itself lightly(for the most part) and has some really good funny bits that'll help with the "oh my god I'm playing an erotic weeaboo romance game" shock, while the latter is sort of cinematic and strong on all fronts.

If you really want to go through Hanako's story first, then by all means go for it, but imo it's not quite as newb-friendly.

Jintor

Re: bad ends
I was a little surprised there were no bad ends involving having a heart attack. Lilly's scene freaked me the fuck out. Especially because it was right after what was probably the hottest scene in the game.

TCKaos

Re: bad ends
I was a little surprised there were no bad ends involving having a heart attack. Lilly's scene freaked me the fuck out. Especially because it was right after what was probably the hottest scene in the game.

From what I've read
there were supposed to be more bad ends earlier on in each route, most of them involving Hisao's death, but the writers couldn't think of convenient accidents that didn't seem like total ass pulls to get him to die.

XeroSauce

egNoA.jpg

Dailies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I too thought (Lily route) that
Lily's true ending was a bad end, and was so upset I stopped playing for a few days, only to come back later and realize it wasn't over yet.

I really feel like her and Rin were the most well-written, though I'm not sure why.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Kenji is the best. When I first started he annoyed me to no end. Then I played the game some more and I changed my mind. His comic relief is actually pretty funny, and filled with references. In act one he comes off as an insane rambler but as you go through it you realize that in spite of his ranting he is a real bro. He does care and is actually a good guy.

kenji_dedicated_to_me_by_lonelyspark-d3j1mxj.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
From what I've read
there were supposed to be more bad ends earlier on in each route, most of them involving Hisao's death, but the writers couldn't think of convenient accidents that didn't seem like total ass pulls to get him to die.

Well I, for one, appreciate that they didn't resort to stupid BS to accommodate bad ends. I don't want to have the characters jump into a swimming pool and suddenly SHARKS! >;D

Well I, for one, appreciate that they didn't resort to stupid BS to accommodate bad ends. I don't want to have the characters jump into a swimming pool and suddenly SHARKS! >;D

Ha. As if one needed to be in a swimming pool (or anywhere near water, for the matter), to suffer death by shark.

Now that I hit 50 on swtor, been bum rushing this game.

Just finished lilly's arc.

Act 4 was pretty much me going...

bad end.
bad end.
bad end?
dead end???
Oh.

Awwwwwwwwww.

OMG Aero

What it definitely needs is a Harem End, if only to see if they can maintain the relatively realistic tone that's prevalent through most of the game.
There needs to be a Kenji ending where it turns out he is right about the feminist conspiracy and you both ride out the end of the world in a bomb shelter.

vall03

There needs to be a Kenji ending where it turns out he is right about the feminist conspiracy and you both ride out the end of the world in a bomb shelter.

and here I thought I was fine with the
manly picnic ending....
Now we have more ideas on what stuff we could possibly expand in the game. haha

At the end, Hisao and Kenji open the shelter's hatch as tears of joy well in their eyes, only to see a figure standing over them. Silhouetted by the blinding daylight, the figure triumphantly places one hand on its hip before aiming a gun at the duo.

"Wahaha~!"

Roll credits.

Damn straight. And Boney, I don't blame you getting Emi's route while going for Hanako's. I did the same thing, but luckily saved at the decision point and got back on track.
Why would you go back on track if you want to avoid getting Emi's route?

At the end, Hisao and Kenji open the shelter's hatch as tears of joy well in their eyes only to see a figure standing over them, silhouetted by the blinding daylight. One hand is on its hip, the other aiming a handgun at the duo.

"Wahaha~!"

Roll credits.

Why would you go back on track if you want to avoid getting Emi's route?

I.....see what you did there lol.

Boney

Banned
Ahem, it's pretty late, but I finally managed to get Hanako's good ending, and I thought I'd share my impressions.

It definately brought a lot of enjoyment to me and in a way, made me feel nostalgic about my high school years. While the writing could be a bit spotty at times, it definately made it's point come across, and it's pretty believable, which I think is the most important element it manages to retain.

Hanako was definately a surprise on how well she was developed, mostly. Everytime I felt the character was reaching a dead end development wise, she sprang with to new life with a new appreciation of the character, making it deeper and deeper. I say mostly because sometimes the lingering feeling of, is this all of who she is and how's she's gonna be was too prolonged at times, without giving any glimpse to future development for her. I guess this comes hand in with disdain to the lead character. He was pretty safe and predictable throughout, so I think those elements kinda projected into the Hanako. I guess this is the problem of having to write a relatively generic character everybody can relate too and differently for every girl you choose. I guess this is how they're supposed to be? I don't know, maybe. Lilly was also pretty nice, because seeing she wasn't the center of attention, it's development was a lot less expository and a lot more subtle. I guess this is a crux of the genre so I won't berate it much though.

Character artwork kinda grew on me, but I still think it's one of the low points of the game, which was especially frustrating because the new chapter screen and the special artwork was quite nice, especially the pool scene and the ending. Music picked up as well, or maybe it was that I just got used to it, but it was definately a non issue and helped establish the mood pretty well.

I did went to see a bad ending before I finished it because I was curious and went back to it after I had gone far along the right path
Lilly's phone call and choosing to go and visit her
. I was really satisfied with that ending cause it presented itself with a lot of powerful contradictiing emotions coming from this socially inadequate girl. Good ending was pretty good as well, so sweet you can't help but smile and congratulate them for going over the adversing obstacles.

So as far as closing thoughts, I gotta I'm not overly impressed by what I played because of the extremely positive impressions this was getting, but it was not a let down or a sour experience at all though. It connects with you emotionally, but not in a level I was led to believe it could, but of course, everyone will find this different so don't take it as judgemental of my part. I'm extremely glad I played this, and a great change of pace to what I usually play, so congratulations to the team and best of luck with any future endeavors.

Glad you liked it. If you get a chance, you should go for the other girls routes. It explains different stuff that wasn't explained and introduces other characters. I think someone here said that each girl had a different writer, soo that might be another plus to keep going.

Top Bottom