• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig to start using DRM in it's coffee makers to stop coffee pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLH0

Banned
I always laugh when people shit all over capsule coffee in these threads but then advocate for letting a brewed pot sit around all morning.

Espresso or bust.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People still do mod chips? I softmodded mine. There's nothing to it: you just slap a TIFF file onto a Newman's Own special blend pod and hit the brew button then wait five minutes.

You need the 1.0 version of the k-cup, though. They patched the exploit out on the sly sometime around July of last year. You can find unpatched pods on eBay if you know what you're looking for, but you'll have to pay a premium. Still cheaper than a hardware mod.
It's a lot of hoops to jump through though. I'd recommend a newbie just get a beefy enough Tassimo, and you can emulate the Keurig no problem.

(I am talking about using filling them with actual Keurig cups! Not piracy!)

Forget all that and get the best coffee maker ever!
wb9j5Wt.jpg

Seriously. The AeroPress rules.

And they absolutely will work in an "I'm busy/office" setting too, which seems to be the big draw for the pod systems. I know from experience. In my old studio in Dallas, we ditched the coffee machine, got three Aeropresses, installed an "instant-on" point-of-use hot water spigot on the counter set at 190 deg. Then we got a bunch of coffee varieties and creamers and such, and were done. It was cheaper, more green, and even faster for people to get their coffee in the morning than the old pod system, since three people could be served at once.

If I ever open another studio, I'll do the same again. Clients and crew loved it. It takes one time to get someone up-to-speed, and people love teaching other people how to do it. And there's something really awesome about that hiss of air, and something really satisfying about popping that hockey puck of used coffee out.

I installed a mod chip in my coffee maker, so I'm good.

EDIT: Wait, are we allowed to talk about this on GAF? Sorry mods, I'll edit this out if it's against the rules....

Dude make sure to remember you can't hook that coffee maker up to the internet or they'll lock you out

itsgreen

So what they are doing is hindering consumers and upping the price to battle cheaper coffee.

Sounds like a solid plan.

So what they are doing is hindering consumers and upping the price to battle cheaper coffee.

Sounds like a solid plan.

And they're making consumers pay for the hindrance, since whatever system they're going to use to lock you into the system isn't going to be free to implement.

Anyone who buys into this is a sucker.

And they absolutely will work in an "I'm busy/office" setting too, which seems to be the big draw for the pod systems. I know from experience. In my old studio in Dallas, we ditched the coffee machine, got three Aeropresses, installed an "instant-on" point-of-use hot water spigot on the counter set at 190 deg. Then we got a bunch of coffee varieties and creamers and such, and were done. It was cheaper, more green, and even faster for people to get their coffee in the morning than the old pod system, since three people could be served at once.

If I ever open another studio, I'll do the same again. Clients and crew loved it. It takes one time to get someone up-to-speed, and people love teaching other people how to do it. And there's something really awesome about that hiss of air, and something really satisfying about popping that hockey puck of used coffee out.

This is brilliant. :)

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
But third parties could just duplicate the weird indent, unless they get to copyright it again?

That last part is what they're planning to do. Patent the indention. Because the VUE went absolutely no where, they're going back the well with K-Cup 2: Electric Boogaloo.

ElRenoRaven

I never thought I'd see the day when Coffee had DRM. Seriously how fucked can we get that we have DRM for fucking coffee?

Liberty4all

Banned
Yeah, screw this. They'll pry my San Francisco Bay cups and metal refillable basket from my cold, dead hands.

I imagine the new cups will be backwards compatible, but old cups not forward compatible.

if that's the case why would any current owner buy this new technology that locks out generic k-cups?

Sounds like paying for a downgrade!

I think green mountain is seriously miscalculating the idea that people will pay to upgrade.

mcteapot

Neo Member

Got to read about the guy who invented the AeroPress, so boss. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Adler

dhlt25

I guess this is where ny inability to enjoy hot coffee come in handy. Usually i just brew a giant pod. Pop that shit in the office fridge and be set for a few days.

Eusis

So it's instantaneus coffe tht has been in the market for decades, flavored and packed in a special cup for a special machine? got it.

Man what a world we live in :(
No, it's basically just enough coffee in a capsule that already has a filter in place that you can just pop in a machine to brew coffee quickly.

Though I haven't checked into the age of Keurig, if the patents ran out then I guess it is decades old...

EDIT: Actually, wouldn't the patents have also run out on making the machines themselves, meaning keurig compatible imitations should be coming out? Guess that's only fair, and how the patent system is SUPPOSED to work rather than some monopoly on a machine forever and ever.

Dryk

I think green mountain is seriously miscalculating the idea that people will pay to upgrade.
The CEO stated that people will pay due to upgrades and brand loyalty... in response to people jumping ship as soon as a cheaper off-brand version was available...

Eusis

The CEO stated that people will pay due to upgrades and brand loyalty... in response to people jumping ship as soon as a cheaper off-brand version was available...
I imagine they can still keep a comfortable niche for themselves, but I don't see attempts at locking down doing any good. If the patents are out on both machine and pod then it's pretty much fair game for anyone to make a machine that works the same way unless I'm missing something.

ramuh

1. Hoard K-Cup machines.
2. Sell them in 2 years.
3. Profit.

Lol. Reminds me of that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode, "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis" (2008). They thought it would be a good idea to buy barrels of gas and store it in a basement. Funny!

BPoole

Can't wait for people to jailbreak their Keurigs and watch a sub culture form of people peddling generic K Cups.

I imagine they can still keep a comfortable niche for themselves, but I don't see attempts at locking down doing any good. If the patents are out on both machine and pod then it's pretty much fair game for anyone to make a machine that works the same way unless I'm missing something.

The Keurig patents expiring was one big reason I bought one, indirectly.

Valnen

Incoming always online DRM. Can't brew your coffee without an internet connection.

Actually internet connected appliances aren't that far off from being non-niche. We already have things like Nest. I imagine internet requires ones will follow.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
French press coffee is what peasants drink while they dream of real coffee.

I get coffee from civet-shat blue mountain special reserve. I hand grind it in a ceramic burr grinder I bought from a Colombian poet.

after I make the coffee, I smell the bouquet from a 300 year old brandy snifter, and then I smash it on the floor of my chateau because it will NEVER be fucking good enough. NEVER.

Anyone who says they enjoy a coffee is a fucking LIAR because however they made it, it wasn't good enough.

Ahasverus

No, it's basically just enough coffee in a capsule that already has a filter in place that you can just pop in a machine to brew coffee quickly.

Though I haven't checked into the age of Keurig, if the patents ran out then I guess it is decades old...

EDIT: Actually, wouldn't the patents have also run out on making the machines themselves, meaning keurig compatible imitations should be coming out? Guess that's only fair, and how the patent system is SUPPOSED to work rather than some monopoly on a machine forever and ever.

That's not exactly rocket science. I find funny all of this for.. coffee. I live in the coffee region of Colombia so it amuses me greatly heh.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Lol coffee drinkers
Tea is where it's at.

Seriously though, I would imagine it won't be that hard to somehow bypass. I don't really care one way or another for physical mods, but if there's a will there's a way.
Kind of pointless as a tea machine unless you can make your own k-cups from loose leaf. Which is apparently something Keurig doesn't want.

if that's the case why would any current owner buy this new technology that locks out generic k-cups?

Sounds like paying for a downgrade!

I imagine they'll follow the printer industry - sell their machines for pennies on the dollar, then nail people on the refills. I expect these "next-gen" Keurigs to be cheap as hell, and come with a massive ad campaign. Then once people own the hardware, they'll realize they can't use a refillable cup & be stuck in the monopoly.

vikki

I prefer making coffee myself. I've always done it this way and I see no need to change. It's also much cheaper than Keurig mainly because the refills. Three people in my house drink coffee on the morning. I can make enough for 6 cups, but I usually make 4 or 5 cups. That way I can have another later if I feel like it. My parents own a Keurig. It tastes fine and the variety is nice, but first thing on the morning I prefer just a regular cup of plain coffee.

Regiruler

Kind of pointless as a tea machine unless you can make your own k-cups from loose leaf. Which is apparently something Keurig doesn't want.

I never said I used the machine. It was a completely tangental shot at coffee in general.

Anyways, the amount of time that would take would hardly be an improvement over my current setup.

Cyan

Banned
Even when I'm at some place and they have K-cups I won't drink because I feel guilty about all that waste.

Don't feel bad, it all gets recycled.

You use the K-cup -> you throw it away -> it gets hauled to the garbage dump -> it gets ground into a new batch of Keurig coffee.

MilkBeard

I look forward to needing licensed tyres for my car.

These jokes could literally go on forever.

I've never heard of a coffee machine that only brews the licensed brand of coffee until now. But I guess there are people who will buy into that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom