• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keurig to start using DRM in it's coffee makers to stop coffee pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean your jump stating that it still requires grinding beans when we never have. Hey, if you like using your french press, feel free. I'm sure if we had one, we'd like it too. But that doesn't mean that the Keurig machines are worse or better, just that they are more convenient at the cost of something more personal or better tasting, if that's true. I've never owned one. Used one, but never owned one.

That's exactly what I originally said. I said I like the convenience of the K-cups but hate throwing out all that plastic. And then I said using a reusable k-cup takes away the only benefit of using a Kuerig, which is the convenience, so I may as well use my press. I like having both. When I just want one cup I go for the keurig, when I want more than one I go for the press.

I use a Nespresso machine and they do a similar thing, changing the pod shape every now and again to make sure competitors can't make pods for their system.

It's idiotic.

mcteapot

Neo Member
Forget all that and get the best coffee maker ever!
wb9j5Wt.jpg

Einbroch

Banned
That's exactly what I originally said. I said I like the convenience of the K-cups but hate throwing out all that plastic. And then I said using a reusable k-cup takes away the only benefit of using a Kuerig, which is the convenience, so I may as well use my press. I like having both. When I just want one cup I go for the keurig, when I want more than one I go for the press.

I misunderstood, then. Apologies.

Thanks to this thread I'm sipping on a delicious chocolate peppermint coffee from a local shop. It hit the spot. Yummy.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I got my Miller Lite Beer Pod. I'm telling you it is delicious!

It is seriously the best beer out there.

If you aren't fermenting your own hops in an oaken barrel you carved from a tree you felled by hand, then what the fuck is the point.

Acerac

Banned
This thread has done nothing but show me how big of a jackass WanderingWind is. Good lord. You can make your point in a way that won't make you look like such a complete twat.

I get the sarcasm and whatnot, but seriously...

WanderingWind

This thread has done nothing but show me how big of a jackass WanderingWind is. Good lord. You can make your point in a way that won't make you look like such a complete twat.

Jesus, dude. It's not even sarcasm. Do you honestly, truly believe anybody gives a fuck how you brew your coffee? Nobody cares. It couldn't have been more in jest if had posted links to Yakity Sax before every post.

Lighten up, Francis.

lenovox1

If you're making coffee with a Keurig or a Nespresso or whatever other instant "pod" machines are out there, then you deserve this absurdity.

Beans + grinder + [cup drip/French Press/Aeropress/Siphon/Mocha Pot/Whatever Else] is the only way to go.

Nespresso makes a really good espresso for a pretty inexpensive price. That's found its place.

Keurig is for people that can't be bothered with the minute and a half it takes to make instant coffee for whatever reason.

KHarvey16

Nespresso makes a really good espresso for a pretty inexpensive price. That's found its place.

Keurig is for people that can't be bothered with the minute and a half it takes to make instant coffee for whatever reason.

Keurig isn't instant coffee.

Weird. I read the entire thread and this post was way more "twatty" than anything WanderingWind posted. Everyone just needs to relax. People find different reasons to enjoy coffee. can't we all just agree that adding DRM to coffee is a really terrible idea?

WanderingWind

I'm willing to go to war for this.

Hm. One one hand, your coffee is faster, allowing you to get to the battlefield early. On the other hand, my faction will be way, way more caffeinated. We will feel no pain. We will never sleep.

Bring it on. I got this whole pot of whup ass brewing.

AlexMogil

I was there for the Coffee Wars, son. The Instants vs. the Pressers.

Many beans were spilled that day. All I remember is the sounds of percolation and at 5 PM I was tired. So fucking tired.

Edit: I think we lost a warrior.

maxcriden

Huh, really? I remember occasionally driving by the Foldgers plant in Jacksonville and it smelled awful. Dunno, maybe they weren't actually brewing coffee in there.

Might just be the quality of the coffee itself, from the little I know GMC is supposedly much higher quality coffee. But yeah, the beans being grinded or brewed or whatever's happening in there smells amazing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I installed a mod chip in my coffee maker, so I'm good.

EDIT: Wait, are we allowed to talk about this on GAF? Sorry mods, I'll edit this out if it's against the rules....

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I installed a mod chip in my coffee maker, so I'm good.

EDIT: Wait, are we allowed to talk about this on GAF? Sorry mods, I'll edit this out if it's against the rules....

People still do mod chips? I softmodded mine. There's nothing to it: you just slap a TIFF file onto a Newman's Own special blend pod and hit the brew button then wait five minutes.

You need the 1.0 version of the k-cup, though. They patched the exploit out on the sly sometime around July of last year. You can find unpatched pods on eBay if you know what you're looking for, but you'll have to pay a premium. Still cheaper than a hardware mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom