• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

LordCanti

Kill la Kill 02

Loveeee ittttttt. It's like they heard all the PC bullshit about how revealing the suit was and dialed it up to eleven as a big middle finger. I liked the color scheme of the first episode, but I also like that they changed it up here to represent the difference in the time of day (I assume). I also really liked the OP/ED and the ridiculous sexy time with sensei.

The one and only thing I'd like to see change just slightly is family time with Mako; Everything else is at 11, so it's okay if just that bit is dialed back down to maybe a 9 or a 10. Just a suggestion.

Gazoinks

Kill La Kill 2

Hahaha, the episode title is a reference to the homeroom teacher apparently!

Anyway, great episode. I'd call it an improvement over the pilot, and probably more representative of how the series will be paced going forwards. Legitimately cracked up at Mako "defending" Ryuuko, as well as the antics with her family. Good fight/tennis scene, and some plot development. Next episode looks like we'll learn about Satsuki, looking forward to that.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I love this show. So much visual wit.
The one and only thing I'd like to see change just slightly is family time with Mako; Everything else is at 11, so it's okay if just that bit is dialed back down to maybe a 9 or a 10. Just a suggestion.
I know what you mean and I kind of agree, but the really overblown score behind that scene was hysterical.

LordCanti

Was anyone waiting for the KLK stream at Daisuki? If so, it's up (free, which CR isn't). If anyone happens to know exactly when they posted it I'd be thankful for that information (debating whether or not to pay for Crunchyroll even though there's only one show I care to watch simulcast).

I love this show. So much visual wit.

I know what you mean and I kind of agree, but the really overblown score behind that scene was hysterical.

I was definitely laughing the whole time.

Gazoinks

Was anyone waiting for the KLK stream at Daisuki? If so, it's up (free, which CR isn't). If anyone happens to know exactly when they posted it I'd be thankful for that information (debating whether or not to pay for Crunchyroll even though there's only one show I care to watch simulcast).

Speaking of which, if anyone does watch the Daisuki stream, I'd appreciate them mentioning whether there's still audio delay problems or whether it was just with the first episode.

Beats

Kill la Kill - 2

Wonderful. I liked the fight this episode. I hope they're able to maintain this pacing, but I wouldn't mind a few more scenes that are dialed back a little bit. I'm liking the little things they do with the visuals and Mako's silliness along with that scene with the teacher were very amusing. I can't wait for the next episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill Episode 2:

Well, this show is going mostly all-in on the manic energy, though I noticed it slowed down when it was time to focus on Satsuki and her machinations to conquer Northern Japan. The biggest addition to the show is Mako's family and, as expected, they are all about as insane as she is and clearly there for more comic relief. About the only other time a breath is taken is when we get more backstory on the uniform from expounded by the Samurai Flamenco reject. To its credit Kill La Kill has found a way to make Tennis entertaining and watchable. Indeed, we have a sorting algorithm of evil as there is no telling how many club flunkies Satsuki is going to throw at Ryūko before she earns her shot at the four devas. I did like the fact that Satsuki was perfectly willing to throw down and show her power and skill. Next week looks like to promise us more revelations
as we learn Satsuki wears a special uniform of her own.
Anyway, another good episode, but yea, I can see how this is going to tire out a lot of people.

Silky

Banned
Holy shit this episode was great. I don't feel particularly bothered by the fanservice if they're going to do both sides of the spectrum (like that fine as hell teacher posing his ass off.)

tumblr_mugrwkBghx1qdvc0mo1_500.jpg

HOOOOOOOOOO DAMN

Kill La Kill 2

And it continues with lewd, over the top action, mixed in with limited animation and cuts which really gives it personality, and I was actually laughing my ass off as it goes on.

THERE WAS CAT SEX IN THIS EPISODE! ACTUAL CAT FUCKING (in the background) ! It literally has no shame in its lewdness, even with a showmanship of Matoi the StretchTits. There was some more information provided based on the design of the Goku Uniforms, more about how the uniforms dictate the class of a person (I think this was covered in the first episode).

Holy shit that teacher though. I felt so fabulous during that, and it's even more lewd considering the circumstances in that scene.

7Th

Episode 2 was lots of fun and Ryuuko and Mako are lovable as hell but DAT PREVIEW, GODDAMN. I can already feel the climax coming.

Episode 2
The pacing was more tolerable this time around. Don't get me wrong, it's still fast but much more easy to follow. The introduction to Mako's family even seemed self-aware about the chaotic pacing during the dinner scene when it showed Ryuko's stunned expression coupled with that specific Sawano track. Speaking of which, the comedy really worked for me this episode as well. I loved all of the gags with Mako and the fabulous teacher. Good stuff.

TheOGB

Banned
So this show is definitively PSG's ridiculous sexual humor mixed with TTGL's ridiculous action. Personally, I can live with it, so long as they keep playing the fanservice for laughs. And more stupid sexy sensei.

Episode 2

With no concern for the stamina of the audience, this show doubles down entirely. Imaishi has kept his foot steady on the pedal for this episode. It's still working though, so why not?

The action is still exciting and on point. Satsuki's confidence is on display when she steps in with a couple of executive decisions that aid Ryuko and bring her closer to her goal. I believe Rafael Nadal began his tennis career playing with a makeshift racket, fashioned out of some thread and half a giant pair of scissors, so Ryuko is surely headed for great things. We also see Satsuki flex her muscle, and claim that she doesn't need a Goku uniform because her sword is so gangster. I assume this is a half-truth and she's rocking a uniform like Ryuko's.

The comedy was good as well. I laughed at the home room teacher's exhibitionism. I'm straight as an arrow and I felt a little something downstairs. Sexy and helpful. Ryuko's reaction to Mako's family was amusing, as was Mako's friendship speech. The fleeing from the academy when in danger works as a kind of running joke, as well as helping the pacing.

Can't wait to see who the next obstacle is, and how useful sexy sensei will continue to be.

Slowdive

Banned
Another great episode. The teacher scene, Mako standing up for Ryuko and the introduction of her family was especially funny.

duckroll

Episode 2

Not bad, but pretty exhausting. I really like how the show totally doesn't give a fuck about traditional narrative at all and just runs with it like it's a cartoon from the 70s. Everything is energetic, wacky, and just keeps moving forward for better or for worse. It's definitely one of the dumbest things airing this season, but that's probably a plus in this case. Next week's episode looks good.

Another dope episode. More introductions (Mako's family is so lovable!) and understanding about Ryuko's kamui.

Turning the battle into a tennis match was great and leaves some interesting possibilities for what fights could be like in future episodes.

yami4ct

Guess I'll repost form the Anime OT

Kill la Kill 02

Man, I'm getting more and more split on this show. On the one hand, the style is undeniable. Great action. The tennis match fight was way more exciting than the boxing match last week. I also really like the over the top nature of the fascist themes. I think there's a genuinely interesting world at work here.

On the other hand, the humor in this episode managed to get even worse. The ADD and perverted jokes didn't make me crack a smile. The only thing I thought was funny the entire episode was when the tennis girl got smacked in the face. Everything else was a miserable flop. The show really needs to tone it down, especially with the pervert jokes. Mako continues to be a worthless trope. The one thing I'll give them is that they didn't turn Sanketsu into a perverted character. Given the nature of him, it would have been really easy/boring to do that.

So, yeah. Overall, not sure how to feel about this show. Great world, great style, some interesting overarching story going on ultimately undermined by an over reliance on sex and a terrible sense of humor. I'll keep watching, but if it keeps up like this the chances of it living up to it's anime of the year hype are slim to none.

Gazoinks

Another dope episode. More introductions (Mako's family is so lovable!) and understanding about Ryuko's kamui.

Turning the battle into a tennis match was great and leaves some interesting possibilities for what fights could be like in future episodes.

Seeing some more themed battles would definitely be cool. Although I hope we some straight-up normal awesome battles too, we haven't really got one yet (the Boxer fight was so one-sided it doesn't really count).

Soma

Good lord.

It's like this show doesn't know the meaning of restraint. I love it.

So fucking hyped for Satsuki's senketsu next week!

Dresden

On the other hand, the humor in this episode managed to get even worse. The ADD and perverted jokes didn't make me crack a smile. The only thing I thought was funny the entire episode was when the tennis girl got smacked in the face. Everything else was a miserable flop. The show really needs to tone it down, especially with the pervert jokes. Mako continues to be a worthless trope. The one thing I'll give them is that they didn't turn Sanketsu into a perverted character. Given the nature of him, it would have been really easy/boring to do that.

I think there's quite a bit of humor in just how the show presents itself. Even when it's just saving budget or not animated at all, it cracks me up - Ryuko floating down the stream, or leaving hurriedly at the beginning, come to mind as some good examples. It's very playful stuff.

I have to disagree heavily about Mako. She's amazing.

Episode Dos

First few minutes of the episode didn't do too much for me, went by a bit too fast for my liking. Every part after and including that sexy specimen of a sensei was great though, that tennis match was incredible and lots of great leg and midriff shots, so goooooood. Now that introductions to the supporting cast are done AFAIK, I hope next week's episode has a better first half.

7Th

Next week should have a pretty different atmosphere as it's
Ryuuko versus Satsuki herself.

That was awesome.

What does "Kamui" mean here? My dictionary says "god, deity", is that it?

It's written with the Kanji for God and Uniform.

yami4ct

I think there's quite a bit of humor in just how the show presents itself. Even when it's just saving budget or not animated at all, it cracks me up - Ryuko floating down the stream, or leaving hurriedly at the beginning, come to mind as some good examples. It's very playful stuff.

I recognize the attempts at humor, but I don't know. None of it does anything for me. Most of it is way too random. As for Mako, she just reminds me of better characters and it destroys her humor for me.

Gazoinks

Yeah, I definitely have to agree with the presentation, there. I like that even when it's obvious they're cutting corners a bit, they play it for laughs so it feels like it has a purpose beyond just saving money.

As far as humor goes, it'll work for some people and not for others. Humor's one of those things that's really subjective.

yami4ct

Credit where credit's due, just to make sure I'm not ignoring the good to focus on the bad, I have to actually praise the way they save budget on this show. The use of the limited animation or still frame scenes is really clever and doesn't detract like it does for most shows. They're really getting the most out of their money. That's definitely praise worthy.

Credit where credit's due, just to make sure I'm not ignoring the good to focus on the bad, I have to actually praise the way they save budget on this show. The use of the limited animation or still frame scenes is really clever and doesn't detract like it does for most shows. They're really getting the most out of their money. That's definitely praise worthy.

Ryuuko going down the waterfall as if it was still part of the stream gave me a really good laugh.

Nothing at all
Nothing at all
Stupid sexy sensei

How long is series suppose to be, I feel like we're already in end game mode after 2 episodes. Also is it safe to assume Ryuko and Satsuki are possibly (half) sisters and that Satsuki;s mom is the real boss?

Yonafunu

Episode 2

Like I thought, the pacing was dialed down a bit, which made the entire episode feel more cohesive than the pilot. Highlight so far is Mako (and her family). Hilarious.
Looks like next episode is going to be action-packed, looking forward to some great animation.

I really liked the moment right after the OP when Ryuko arrives back in town on the train and she begins to fall over but the frame count gets cut short. I love gags like that.

so1337

Episode 2

Didn't seem quite as funny or exciting as the first episode but I still enjoyed it. Playing up the embarassing nature of the suit was effective in the first episode but I feel like I'm already growing tired of that joke. Meanwhile Mako's reign as the show's best character continues unabated.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
mmmm dat sensei

Some of the music almost sounded good this time, though I fear that may just be stockholm syndrome setting in

next episode hyypppeee

Dave1988

If there's an idiot of the year award then Mako has this in the bag.

Stupid sexy sensei

Next week's episode is gonna be dooooope!

Great episode. I actually thought both episodes were really funny, and I'm sorry to see some of you guys don't really get it.

On the subject of the music, it's definitely not bad. I found myself digging some of the tunes. Really, it's just the kind of show that you get or you don't, I suppose. So far, it's easily my favorite anime of the season and possibly the year if it keeps being this enjoyable.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kill La Kill episode 2
like everyone else said, great episode.
stupid sexy sensei
Maxo X Ryūko shipper is born.

Top Bottom