• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

joe2187

Banned
You can watch KLK free on Hulu and Daisuki, so I wouldn't bother if it's the only show you're interested in.

Sweet, I have Hulu +. I wasnt aware it was on Hulu.

I first watched Gurren Lagann on Hulu + and by the end of the day I finished the entire series

Gazoinks

Sweet, I have Hulu +. I wasnt aware it was on Hulu.

I first watched Gurren Lagann on Hulu + and by the end of the day I finished the entire series

Yeah, Hulu actually has a surprising amount of anime on it, but I don't really hear it mentioned much as an option.

Jex

So we've moved on from referencing Cutie Honey and Kekko Kamen to paying homage to Aim for the Ace and it's ilk. The 70's love-fest continues unabashed.

Wilsongt

Episode 2

Mako owns

Her family owns

But nothing compares to the greatness of the utterly fabulous mix of Akio and Hosaka that is SENSEI

killlakill2.jpg

That part made no sense, but I loved it. Especially quick transformation back into dork teacher.

Mako <3

joe2187

Banned
Just finished watching episode 2.

This shit is so stupid and rediculous, I fucking love every moment of it.

I lost my shit at Mako's house, the music, the family and then I nearly fucking choked when that fucking dog just bust through the door in the hoodie looking like some funky ass butt.

Only 2 episodes and it's already surpassed my expectations.

I need a gif of that dog.

Ultimadrago

Boy, this music is dreadful. 2nd episode was still a bit amusing though.

So we've moved on from referencing Cutie Honey and Kekko Kamen to paying homage to Aim for the Ace and it's ilk. The 70's love-fest continues unabashed.

Indeed. It reminds me again how it's too bad there will never be another true Coachie.

Mesoian

Boy, this music is dreadful. 2nd episode was still a bit amusing though.

The score is great. The themes are pretty bad though, yeah.

One of the side effects of this show is making me want to marathon all of gunbuster and daibuster again. But Daibuster is my favorite mech anime, so that's not saying much.

Kill la Kill 02

I cannot keep myself from beaming the entire time I'm watching this show.

I know style and subversion aren't really a substitute for substance, but this show makes me believe it can be.

As a fan giant fan of TTGL (probably my favorite anime) should I watch any more of this guy's work?

Gazoinks

Kill la Kill 02

I cannot keep myself from beaming the entire time I'm watching this show.

I know style and subversion aren't really a substitute for substance, but this show makes me believe it can be.

As a fan giant fan of TTGL (probably my favorite anime) should I watch any more of this guy's work?

I'm not sure if Imaishi had anything to do with it, but FLCL is pretty great and shares some themes with TTGL (wacky mech-related coming of age with phallic symbols everywhere). The other Imaishi shows I know of are Dead Leaves and Panty & Stocking. Haven't watched Dead Leaves, I like P&S, but it's reeeeeally polarizing.

Herla

So, the red thread that powers the suits is actually Ryuko's hair, right?
It's not going to make the suit less revealing, but she'll turn into a full redhead.

Kill la Kill 02

The tennis gags left me in fucking stitches. Mako's family is also amazing.

But the winner here is sexy teacher. Come on TRIGGER. Put him in a car and call it a day.

<3

That tennis match was all sorts of amazing.

TheRancor

Kill la Kill 2

The Sawano music is still preventing me from properly enjoying the show.

Anyone else notice how quite a bit of animation involves them dragging static drawings through the screen? I bet they had practice during Inferno Cop. lol

Hrothgar

Kotaku did just a write up on this not because of the outfit or fanservice but because of the few seconds that she pulls the thing on her wrist in order to activate the outfit, because it's considered wrist slitting.

This comment sums it up nicely:

Brian Mardiney said:
Um...this is Kotaku, right? This is, among other things, a video game fan site. This is a site that, I imagine, would come down on any media outlet HARD if they blamed violent video games as a direct cause of school shootings and other savageries, right? So then why on earth is this being reported in a way that implies that this show might be morally responsible for someone killing them self? Do you all not see the pretty obvious parallel here? People either have free will or they don't. Art either makes people do what they do or it doesn't. If games don't make people kill others, cartoons don't make people kill themselves.

sonicmj1

If that's another article by Richard "Kamiya Doesn't Know Steam" Eisenbeis, it won't change anything, because I already can't be more disappointed in him.

sikma42

Banned
I'll admit GL didn't grab me from the start and by the time I got episode 5-7, some asshole spoiled a major moment that stopped me from finishing it....

then Netflix took it off their site.

so

I haven't been able to get past episode 2 after 3 or 4 tries. Maybe I should just push through. I didn't like the fan service stuff.

harSon

Banned
I can see this show getting repetitive if they maintain the same formula episode after episode. Hopefully that's not the case.

Dachande

I really want to enjoy this - I love the character design and the crazy pace and style - but the fanservice and perversion goes way too far and is ruining my enjoyment of the series.

The 'battle uniform' is terrible and the lewdness is just crass and not funny at all. The first episode was a bit bad for it, but the entire second episode is ten times worse, and if it carries on I don't think I'll carry on watching. Really disappointing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If that's another article by Richard "Kamiya Doesn't Know Steam" Eisenbeis, it won't change anything, because I already can't be more disappointed in him.

Yep, it is from the guy who called Sword Art Online the smartest anime in years, and it was only half over. The Universe could not have set up a better punchline then that.

duckroll

Yep, it is from the guy who called Sword Art Online the smartest anime in years, and it was only half over. The Universe could not have set up a better punchline then that.

The real punchline is that each time 4chan, MAL, and every other place links his articles to mock them, Kotaku probably gets more page clicks than any article they actually put proper journalistic effort into. With ad-driven internet business being what it is, it is people like him who really know how to keep a site going.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The real punchline is that each time 4chan, MAL, and every other place links his articles to mock them, Kotaku probably gets more page clicks than any article they actually put proper journalistic effort into. With ad-driven internet business being what it is, it is people like him who really know how to keep a site going.

Life does like its irony.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to enjoy this - I love the character design and the crazy pace and style - but the fanservice and perversion goes way too far and is ruining my enjoyment of the series.

The 'battle uniform' is terrible and the lewdness is just crass and not funny at all. The first episode was a bit bad for it, but the entire second episode is ten times worse, and if it carries on I don't think I'll carry on watching. Really disappointing.

I sort of had an issue with the pandering in the first episode, but now I'm totally fine with it because it's SO over the top and, more importantly, equal opportunity. It's clearly meant to be ridiculous, so I'm completely on board with that.

daveo42

Banned
Another fantastic episode, keeping up the pace and humor of the first. I really hope it doesn't burn itself out if this pace keeps up for the entire season.

As good as the episode was, I still felt that the sensei scene was pretty much unneeded outside of the info about the kamui he gave Ryuuko. I get the reference and enjoy the humor and parody of it, but I'm hoping that all of this ridiculousness somehow fits into the overall world and story.

Episode 2 brings about an interesting theory, in that shameless pandering may be an actual theme of the show.

You are probably on to something here.

1upmuffin

I haven't been able to get past episode 2 after 3 or 4 tries. Maybe I should just push through. I didn't like the fan service stuff.

Might be just me, but I think the first handful of episodes of that show are some of the best in the series, so if you didn't like those I don't think you'd like the rest of the show.

[URL=" did just a write up on this[/URL] not because of the outfit or fanservice but because of the few seconds that she pulls the thing on her wrist in order to activate the outfit, because it's considered wrist slitting.

Kotaku also thought SAO was the most intelligently written anime in a decade.

You know that simpson episode in which homer a a little card that says "Always do the opposite of what Bart says"? You'll get pretty far if you apply that to Kotaku.

LordCanti

Kotaku did just a write up on this not because of the outfit or fanservice but because of the few seconds that she pulls the thing on her wrist in order to activate the outfit, because it's considered wrist slitting.

Kotaku is a click baiting rag, but I have to admit, that's a hilarious complaint that I never would have thought someone could make in a million years. I expected the inevitable "Why is this so fanservicey; How dare they" article, but complaining about blood being the source of power for the outfit and comparing that to slitting ones wrists? Wowwww.

Mesoian

I...cannot facepalm harder than I just did.

Kotaku is a click baiting rag, but I have to admit, that's a hilarious complaint that I never would have thought someone could make in a million years. I expected the inevitable "Why is this so fanservicey; How dare they" article, but complaining about blood being the source of power for the outfit and comparing that to slitting ones wrists? Wowwww.

Gotta say, they have a fox news level of originality when it comes to getting upset about things that don't matter and were never issues before they made it one.

Episode 2 was pretty "meh" to me. I wasn't bored or anything like that, but it failed to suck me in. I was really hoping the fanservice would be toned down a bit from the first episode...instead it got ratcheted up a notch; I guess this is something I'm going to have to get used to unfortunately. I can see KLK getting extremely stale if they follow the "bad guy of the week" formula the series seems to be setting itself up for, hopefully they switch things up.

/XX/

What's up with Guts (the dog)'s voice actor's "?" credit?
http://www.img42.com/4vzsZ+
Are we meant to guess/make bets
Wishing for Hideaki Anno! He needs to widen his register and also interpret dogs to improve on those voice-over skills, but I suppose that after voicing Mr. Horikoshi his cache has also went up ever since he did Miyu-Miyu long time ago. :-D

Top Bottom