• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

yami4ct

I've not watched TTGL, though I plan on getting around to it soonish, so I don't have that frame of reference. I'm not saying that the show will be subversive because of the depth. I'm just saying that the way I read the first episode (taking the piss out of the tropes it is using) tells me the direction the show is going to go isn't going to be quite as straight forward as it appears at first blush. But I don't know for sure obviously. Lots more show to watch.

I'm sorry, but this screams reading something into the material you want to be there rather than it actually being there. Also, defying expectations is not the same as being subversive. Subversion requires a sense of subtlety, which no offense to Imaishi, is the one thing that he has a director definitely does not have.

Not to belabor the point, but how does it make sense?

Someone who likes fanservice and sexy cosplay has no issue with the fanservice in this show. Nothing to be surprised by there.

Flai

Someone who likes fanservice and sexy cosplay has no issue with the fanservice in this show. Nothing to be surprised by there.

I've always hated fanservice in pretty much every anime I've seen, but I don't have any problems with the outfit. Somehow I feel that it fits to the show.

Dresden

ISubversion requires a sense of subtlety, which no offense to Imaishi, is the one thing that he has a director definitely does not have.

No, not really. Considering that the very premise of the show is built around the political concept of subversion, the idea of the outfit fitting in as the critical sense of the word isn't all that out there. I think you're assigning to the idea of doing so the kind of complexity that's not required. It can be direct, and on-the-nose, and still work.

Atilac

I think it's a bit early to make this sort of judgement. The show is 24 episodes. I mean it's possible that it may not have much to say or that it might be garbage. But I don't think it has really shown what's it's trying to convey yet or where it's taking itself..
Fair Enough, I'll give it a couple of more episodes to improve it's self.

Lol I'm glad you're such an expert on the entire thing after one episode. Here, let me pull a theme out of my ass really quick so that you can accept its deeper meaning: dealing with death and the loss of someone close to you. BOOM THERE YOU GO, DEEP AS HELL.
It's depth should have been laid bare in the first episode, what you pulled out of your ass is clearly not the major theme.

You have a TTGL avatar, got any criticisms of Yoko's various outfits throughout the series? Sure they're less revealing(barely) but there are plenty of super close ups of her ass and tons of boob jiggle.
Why would I have criticism for the way Yoko dressed? It's not like this show - WHERE IT IS THE VOCAL POINT OF THE WHOLE GODDAMN SHOW!!! If you honestly can't tell the difference between a secondary character dressing sexy, and a primary character who's outfit is the main reason for the show - then it's pointless talking to you.

lol ya it was! Regardless of the intent they created PS&G with, it ended up being a critique of anime and otaku culture as a whole. Plus the notion it was modeled after southpark or drawn together doesn't exist at odds with the larger themes it posses.

Thematically, the show is set up very similarly to TTGL. One we have a young boy and his friends fighting their way up and through an oppressive Beastmen regime intent to keep the human race down and beaten. In another, a young girl comes to a new locale to fight her way through an oppressive, fascist regime with a strong caste system in hopes of learning the mysteries behind her father's murder. They both have a VERY strong "RAW, RAW FIGHT THE POWA" current running through them.

Lord Genome = Satsuki
4 Generals = Three-Star Student Council members

Same antagonist setup as well.
Just like TTGL, I'm expecting plot twists and a midseason locale change as well.

Compared to the first episodes of TTGL and P&S, this show articulates it themes just as well. We'll see how it develops as time moves on though. As for the comparison to Queen's Blade, I've only had the displease (bleck) of watching one episode of that out of morbid curiosity but if you can't see the clear differences in what this show is doing and what that show is doing then you've got to be trolling. (This is independent if you like this show or not)
It's a stretch to compare this to Gurren Lagann, that was able to stand without sexually exploiting the main character. If you can't realize the tits and sexual exploitation in this show are down in the same vein as Queens Blade, then you must be trolling.

This show might become something of worth, but for now it is merely a convoluted lazy excuse to sexual exploit and gawk at an underage girl, in which the entire show appears to be entirely constructed towards. But enough of this non-zealot speaking, I won't interfere with the circle jerk in this thread anymore.

Kinyou

I feel li fan service might be used too liberally .

When I thinking fan service I think high school of the dead . This was just a Costume that did intend to titalate.

In fact the the character were More offended by her having a goku suit than it being sexy
Is it even real fan service when it's ware of itself? I thought the scene with the side character put upside down on the cross for no reason at all (i guess it was a reference to another anime?) was actually more problematic than the outfit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This show might become something of worth, but for now it is merely a convoluted lazy excuse to sexual exploit and gawk at an underage girl, in which the entire show appears to be entirely constructed towards. But enough of this non-zealot speaking, I won't interfere with the circle jerk in this thread anymore.
yes, the entire show is constructed around an outfit that the main character wears

this conversation is so embarrassing

Saw the first episode over the weekend and thought it was amazing. It was exciting from start to finish and loved the animation style. Ryuuko quickly became one of the most likable female protagonists I've come across in some time.

Also, I don't have a problem with the fan service. Then again I have never had problems with fan service in my history of anime/manga/etc.

Mesoian

Is it even real fan service when it's ware of itself? I thought the scene with the side character put upside down on the cross for no reason at all (i guess it was a reference to another anime?) was actually more problematic than the outfit.

Yes. Most fanservice shows a completely self aware of what they're doing. The ones that aren't are usually the ones that end up being the most terrible because they try to take their plot seriously, which is impossible when you have to bake girls, for example, coming to orgasm from being put in submission holds as a serious, real plot device.

Stuff like Maken Ki, which started serious but then just went, "eh fuck it, we know why people watch this" throwing out the majority of the plot to just have all the women be in bikinis or go to onsens and fondle each other seem to be where most anime is going now a days, which is why I'm hoping this show will be different.

/XX/

To make a similar premature assessment, I think much of the focus on that suit and its embarrassing initial attributes will be diluted for the time being as the series progresses. There was emphasis on this uniform capabilities' presentation for a shocking development to make this episode a more rounded, unexpectedly fun climax (due to the clashing exhibitionism), and grandiose event on its own for a good beginning.

Because of that it won't probably be usual enough for that much worry, as this uniform's shape is a finisher move under extreme circumstances, making this a not so evident issue and just a first shake-up or call for attention of this series.

JCG

It is fanservice. Which may or may not serve some other purpose, even just humor, but that's still what it is. Fanservice.

Admittedly, it doesn't really bother me a whole lot since that's not the only reason to watch the show.

Like how you could potentially watch, say, Gunbuster exclusively for the bouncing tits but that would be doing yourself -and the show- a disservice.

Thematically, the show is set up very similarly to TTGL. One we have a young boy and his friends fighting their way up and through an oppressive Beastmen regime intent to keep the human race down and beaten. In another, a young girl comes to a new locale to fight her way through an oppressive, fascist regime with a strong caste system in hopes of learning the mysteries behind her father's murder. They both have a VERY strong "RAW, RAW FIGHT THE POWA" current running through them.

Lord Genome = Satsuki
4 Generals = Three-Star Student Council members

Same antagonist setup as well.
Just like TTGL, I'm expecting plot twists and a midseason locale change as well.

Compared to the first episodes of TTGL and P&S, this show articulates it themes just as well. We'll see how it develops as time moves on though. As for the comparison to Queen's Blade, I've only had the displease (bleck) of watching one episode of that out of morbid curiosity but if you can't see the clear differences in what this show is doing and what that show is doing then you've got to be trolling. (This is independent if you like this show or not)

Yeah, so much freaking potential in this show, can't wait for more.

Saw the first episode over the weekend and thought it was amazing. It was exciting from start to finish and loved the animation style. Ryuuko quickly became one of the most likable female protagonists I've come across in some time.

Also, I don't have a problem with the fan service. Then again I have never had problems with fan service in my history of anime/manga/etc.

Totally agree, and especially with this, Ryuuko was awesome.

Superflat

I don't get how the outfit is such a wet blanket for some. I don't particularly like the outfit and I think it'd be cooler if it covered the body more, but the design itself is such a small part of the show. If anything, I expect the suit to grow and upgrade throughout the series.

xanavi

For everyone not at all bothered by her power-up uniform; does it add anything to the show for you, would you be less interested in the show if Ryuko had been more covered up after her transformation?

I went through this whole thing not too long ago when I watched Gurren Lagann for the first time; you know, how Yoko's boobs and stuff take up half the screen every time she's on, at least for the first few episodes. It turned me off from the show for a while, but people encouraged me to power through it and eventually it just became a non-issue in the show. I expect the same here.

For everyone not at all bothered by her power-up uniform; does it add anything to the show for you, would you be less interested in the show if Ryuko had been more covered up after her transformation?

Well I guess the two jokes about it were amusing. If the show is going to keep making fun of itself then I hoe the visual matches what they are saying.

Acid08

Banned
It neither adds nor subtracts any interest for me, it just is what it is.

Acid08

Banned
Why would I have criticism for the way Yoko dressed? It's not like this show - WHERE IT IS THE VOCAL POINT OF THE WHOLE GODDAMN SHOW!!! If you honestly can't tell the difference between a secondary character dressing sexy, and a primary character who's outfit is the main reason for the show - then it's pointless talking to you.
Dude, how can you possibly pretend to know what the focal point of the entire show is from a single episode????

And it's absolutely HILARIOUS to me that you excuse all the overblown Yoko fan service just because she's not the main character of the show. She only existed to be tits and ass when she's first introduced. I bet you have some kind of excuse as to why the ogling/fan service of underage Nia is acceptable too.

Doesn't add or detract. It just is. Fan service is something I notice and go "hey, that shouldn't be there". It breaks the flow by negatively standing out. The outfit in this show doesn't do that. The occasional boob jiggle from Yoko in TTGL doesn't do that. The previously-mentioned jiggles and panty shots in HSotD totally do that. When it borders on becoming the entire focus of the show, rather than whatever the main plot is supposed to be, it's a problem. It is not a problem in KLK.

1upmuffin

Watched the first episode, seems to have promise. I don't get why some people are making rash judgments based one one episode.

The first episode was a lot of fun. I can't wait to see where it goes from here. It def has a GL/FLCL feel to it. I was hoping for a little more Diebuster seriousness (which is not much), but this will do!

Gbraga

Holy shit that was AWESOME, so fucking cool, can't wait for the next episode!

I don't like the outfit either, but not because of fanservice, it's just awful. They can keep it sexy if they want, but make it cooler, more badass.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
When I think "show-ruining fan service" I think of Highschool of the Dead with its boob jiggles and panty shots galore. A living suit that reveals underboob does not strike me as the same thing, or even similar, really. Think a lot of people are being overly-dramatic.

I mean, it was pretty bad. But Matoi is at least appropriately embarrassed, unlike Yoko. If it becomes like the image in the OP, that'd be just right.

PhJlPZu.png

I expect the suit to grow over the course of the show. Would seem a bit strange when Ryuko and Satsuki have their showdown to have Ryuko with the same outfit in the first episode versus Satsuki having her full one.

TTGL had that kind of progression so I don't see why they wouldn't do it here. What kind of over the top show doesn't have mid season upgrades anyway?

I compare Ryuko finding Senketsu to Simon finding Lagann. I wonder when she will get her Gurren.

Gbraga

I expect the suit to grow over the course of the show. Would seem a bit strange when Ryuko and Satsuki have their showdown to have Ryuko with the same outfit in the first episode versus Satsuki having her full one.

TTGL had that kind of progression so I don't see why they wouldn't do it here. What kind of over the top show doesn't have mid season upgrades anyway?

I compare Ryuko finding Senketsu to Simon finding Lagann. I wonder when she will get her Gurren.

You make me wet

Soriku

Fanservice is only an issue if its the focus of the show. I don't think that's the case here. By the next few episodes the blushing will probably be minimized and the outfit will just be something that's accepted. As the show goes on she'll cover up more and that makes her stronger. We'll see.

I think that's almost guaranteed to happen. All throughout TTGL they kept combining with other things and getting stronger. The absorbing of the string after beating the boxer is a strong hint at that.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I assume this is the non-battle mode. But yeah, it would be cool as hell if that was it.

hmm, yeah her clothes will probably explode off at the start of each fight :\

Fanservice is only an issue if its the focus of the show. I don't think that's the case here. By the next few episodes the blushing will probably be minimized and the outfit will just be something that's accepted. As the show goes on she'll cover up more and that makes her stronger. We'll see.

That actually sounds right on, considering how much emphasis they've put on "uniforms". It would be pretty cool if she were eventually in a bad-ass, universe-encompassing, god-destroying outfit. Or something like that.

If Ryuko's outfit doesn't change for the rest of the show then the creators have completely gone against the nature of over the top action.

This doesn't have anything to do with fan-service. Coming from SRW and TTGL, mid game/show upgrades are a big deal and always lead to crowning moments of awesome. I don't see why they would omit such a thing from a show that has the same kind of presentation.

So I am completely confident that Senketsu (assuming Ryuko will get the other half of the scissors back which will be another upgrade) will change over the course of the show. I don't know what forms it will take but considering the pedigrees of the people working on this show I'm sure it will be very satisfying.

The outfit can be two things at the same time. I picked up on the stuff Lambtron and others were talking about but on the other hand some of the shots felt like they knew exactly what audience they wanted to (needed to?) appeal too. The show wants to have their cake and eat it to

Personally it didn't bother me, I watch anime, I'm numb to this stuff by now. But it does prevent me from sharing the show with people who might dig it outside some minor stuff. Its not fair to take it out on Kill but it is annoying to want to share a show but know some of the more prevy stuff will turn others off. Anyway I'll be watching this on my tablet and not the TV

On the show - I thought the first episode was fine but it didn't really grab me like others. I expected something to make Ryuko appealing/relatable but right now she feels like nothing more than a quest (one that we've seen dozens of times already). Hopefully something unique comes across in the next episode

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

I think it adds to the craziness/absurdity of the show. Personally I like it, and it gives me something to laugh about when people get so uppity about its design.

Narag

I think it adds to the craziness/absurdity of the show. Personally I like it, and it gives me something to laugh about when people get so uppity about its design.

Ambivalent about the design now but I'm amused at how it keeps people talking about the show.

Dead

well not really...yet
Its not even titillating.

Its just crazy, over the top, ridiculous. It suits the show, it suits Imaishi. There's nothing disturbing or lewd about it. Its just...completely over the top. Has tons of personality too.

I feel like complaints about the suit are a few steps away from kotaku article levels.

Imaishi gonna Imaishi.

Top Bottom