• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Syrinx

Kill la Kill 2

Man, Mako's family is just as crazy as she is. Got a laugh when her back-alley-doctor father said "the dead ones don't sue you". And how Mako almost seemed proud that her father butchers his patients more than he cures them. Would like for this show to continue to delve into the contrast between the upper society where the higher-ups reside and life in the slums like it was illustrated a bit here.

Not too much new information on the uniform. Well except for
it being created by Ryuko's father.
The flashback to her talking to it the first time definitely hints that we'll get more backstory on the thing.

Tennis fight was fucking amazing. Girl's face when Ryuko pelted that ball in her face was classic. Also Ryuko using the handle of her blade as the racket and actually wielding the sword by the blade! Shit! And the ending was great as well; it's exactly how you'd think this show would end a contest like that and it's perfect.

Lady Satsuki is intriguing. Can't wait for her inevitable battle with Ryuko.

Next week looks like it isn't gonna be following the "evil club leader of the week" format the show seemed to set up in the premiere. So that's pretty cool.

Loved this episode. I really like the music in this show.

Soriku

lmao at Aikuro. The way he slicks back his hair rivals Aizen.

Also this show is 24-26 eps long. We're not even close to the endgame lol.

Metrotab

Banned
Repost from AnimeGAF:

Kill la Kill - 2

Something about the pacing really bothers me. The show feels like it's rushing everything. The dialogue, the fights, the developments, the exposition, everything is done lightning fast.

I don't like it.

JKTrix

What's up with Guts (the dog)'s voice actor's "?" credit?
4vzsZ+

Are we meant to guess/make bets

wonzo

Banned
Episode 2

Mako owns

Her family owns

But nothing compares to the greatness of the utterly fabulous mix of Akio and Hosaka that is SENSEI

killlakill2.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kill La Kill episode 2

Mako X Ryūko shipper is born.

I'm still holding out for Satsuki x Ryuuko myself.

==============================================

Kill la Kill - 02

Another awesome episode. The friendship bit with Mako was absolutely amazing and her family are a riot. Her little brother has no shame!

Tennis match was so legit. Giant ass rackets and power serves that made the concrete break upon impact was so damn fun to watch.

But goddamn at that preview for next week. SO. FUCKING. HYPED.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, Episode 2 was pretty awesome. Some of the facial expressions were great and I'm getting a bunch of laughs of hilarity and awesomeness.

jgminto

Kill la Kill 2

I'm loving the art, characters and story but the animation is kinda jarring. A bit too Inferno Cop and not enough TTGL/LWA. It still looks pretty stylish thanks to the art, but just flipping the art instead of animating a turn still feels cheap.

Also Sensei HNNG!

Kill la Kill 02

While I really am enjoying the series so far, it's no Gurren Lagann. Granted, I haven't watched Lagann since it came out on DVD [in America], but KLK seems almost like it's trying to be Gurren Lagann. But the insanity in la Kill seems forced, and somehow more ridiculous than GL. Yes, more ridiculous than giant mechs and people obsessed with drills. And the characters... Ryuku, Satsuki and Mako are the only ones I give a shit about. The rest of them are just fodder.

Still, I'm on board until the end.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just watched the second episode. Absolutely loving the series. Everything about it is pushing all the right buttons for me. <3 imaishit.
Kill la Kill 02

While I really am enjoying the series so far, it's no Gurren Lagann. Granted, I haven't watched Lagann since it came out on DVD [in America], but KLK seems almost like it's trying to be Gurren Lagann. But the insanity in la Kill seems forced, and somehow more ridiculous than GL. Yes, more ridiculous than giant mechs and people obsessed with drills. And the characters... Ryuku, Satsuki and Mako are the only ones I give a shit about. The rest of them are just fodder.

I don't think it's trying to be Gurren Lagann at all. But I certainly miss the narrative drive of the former, this doesn't really have a strong narrative "hook" in a sense, and the appeal of this series to me is more akin to Panty and Stocking with a actual serialized plot driving it.

The pacing slowed down after the part with Mako's family in the beginning which I appreciated.

The part with the teacher was pretty funny because of how in your face it was.

I'm honestly at a loss as to how many antagonists we're going to have in this show based on the pacing and based on how it's 24 episodes long. I feel like the whole thing between Ryuko and Satsuki is going to be wrapped up soon, and not like till around half way through the show like I was expecting.

Kinyou

After the opening I expected some super long and elaborate transformation scene ala sailor moon and then came this:

wsa6gjrq.gif

lol, I'm in love with this show.

Katsuragi

I really enjoyed the first two episodes! This show is so refreshingly crazy, fast paced and over the top. Can't wait to see more! Kill la Kill is also perfectly suited for awesome GIFs, which this thread has already proved a couple of times. :D

Mesoian

They're slowing down, which is good.

Episode 2 brings about an interesting theory, in that shameless pandering may be an actual theme of the show.

tumblr_muhb9l3s8m1rwd9n1o1_250.gif

This serves no purpose. Yet. I just hope all of this pays off for something big rather than being a bone tossed to the fujoshi crowd but...we'll see. For now, I'm going to throw out the idea of Matoi's outfit being so extreme is' grotesque, especially when almost every shot is framed in such a way that intentionally sexy rather than super odd (except when they're stretching the body to odd proportions like the recap of her first putting on the suit).

We'll have to see where it goes, and it was fairly tolerable, but I'm still not a fan of Matoi's suit, and given the way it's being used paired with the fact that it's design has nothing to do with the output of strength, I probably never will.

But man, episode 2 was fun to watch, just like episode 1, so I'm still in it.

PhiLonius

Episode 2

This show is great.

Mako skirting around the tennis team and the Sensei flexing were hilarious and the tennis match was good fun.

Satsuki is cool too. Kind of reminds of Selvaria from VC.

Between makos family, sexy homeroom tacher, super tennis match and that tease of battle. great episode.

nice mix of mumor and seriousness.

also like that mako has a limt to her powers. reminds me of Wild Tiger

next week looks aweomse

This series continues to be extremely fun, unsurprisingly.

I really like how cartoony it is (especially the cartoon physics and the sight gags), and also the blatant influence Go Nagai had on it. The fact that it's so unabashedly ridiculous (yet still self-aware) is what makes it so much fun.

Also, Sensei is absolutely fabulous.

CorvoSol

They're slowing down, which is good.

Episode 2 brings about an interesting theory, in that shameless pandering may be an actual theme of the show.

tumblr_muhb9l3s8m1rwd9n1o1_250.gif

This serves no purpose.

It serves as a visual cue to tell you who Akio is in this dynamic retelling of Gurren Lagann/Revolutionary Girl Utena.

rexor0717

Oh fuck that episode was good. This show just knows how to make things hype, and it seems that the pace has been toned back a bit ( a good thing). I'm not sold on the OP like the way TTGL's had me from the start. The next episode looks like its going to be pretty sick too. I think either Satsuki will become allies with Ryuko or they are sisters.

Kill la Kill 02

Gurren Lagann right off the bat teased that it was going to get epic, then immediately went to its humble beginning. This show started at 100mph, went up to 150mph, and is now slowing down to a safe speed.

Episode 2

Someone's gonna need to tell me what Ryuko's final attack music is.

And Mako's the bomb. So is her family. I will not accept hearing otherwise though I can totally see how she's going to be someone you love or hate.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow, this show really is bug fuck crazy. The first 5 minutes at the family's house...wowowow.

A few reservations though. The OP song is REALLY bad, a total downgrade from the Gurren Lagann OP. Also a lot of the writing in this episode was dismal, complete exposition overkill.

But...dat Transformation...amazing, lol.

Crocodile

I'm sorry but I could watch those gifs for days. Every time it pans to his pants unzipping themselves I just lose it. I'm actually glad that they bothered to draw his nipples. Way too many pec scenes come off as awkward sans nipples.
<3 Sensei-dude

I can't say I was super keen on some of the pervy jokes but I had a big smile on my face for the vast majority of the episode so I suppose I can't complain too much. Another strong episode. I gotta say I appreciate the pacing, too many shows spend so much time getting nothing done but this just hits the ground running. Considering it will only be episode 3 before Ryuko and Satsuki have their first fight I'm super curious as to this show's end game. I feel the OP & ED have a lot of foreshadowed elements to them that will become super obvious once we hit the midpoint of the series.

I'm sorry but I could watch those gifs for days. Every time it pans to his pants unzipping themselves I just lose it. I'm actually glad that they bothered to draw his nipples. Way too many pec scenes come off as awkward sans nipples.
<3 Sensei-dude

I can't say I was super keen on some of the pervy jokes but I had a big smile on my face for the vast majority of the episode so I suppose I can't complain too much. Another strong episode. I gotta say I appreciate the pacing, too many shows spend so much time getting nothing done but this just hits the ground running. Considering it will only be episode 3 before Ryuko and Satsuki have their first fight I'm super curious as to this show's end game. I feel the OP & ED have a lot of foreshadowed elements to them that will become super obvious once we hit the midpoint of the series.

One thing I noticed from the OP is
after the transformation you can see silhouettes of people linking their hands together to form the threads of what I presume is Senketsu.

cntr

Banned
After the opening I expected some super long and elaborate transformation scene ala sailor moon and then came this:

wsa6gjrq.gif

lol, I'm in love with this show.

Heh, yeah. I was anticipating a lengthy transformation, and we got that.

Mik317

I'm i the only one who didn't like GL but love this?

I'll admit GL didn't grab me from the start and by the time I got episode 5-7, some asshole spoiled a major moment that stopped me from finishing it....

then Netflix took it off their site.

so

Squishy3

We're also probably going to see the sumo wrestler make his appearance next episode too, since Satsuki said he's taking over for the inter-school match or whatever because the tennis club lady got her ass kicked.

We're also probably going to see the sumo wrestler make his appearance next episode too, since Satsuki said he's taking over for the inter-school match or whatever because the tennis club lady got her ass kicked.

Is that the guy who beat the crap out of the student who stole the uniform in the first episode?

joe2187

Banned
I'm only really interested in this and Space brothers

is crunchyroll worth the sub? I'm tired of looking at low quality bootlegs.

rexor0717

I'm only really interested in this and Space brothers

is crunchyroll worth the sub? I'm tired of looking at low quality bootlegs.

Haha, same here! I canceled my crunchyroll subscription though. I guess its worth it if you can find more than a few shows worth your time. With Attack on Titan's conclusion, I'm not super drawn to their service anymore.

I'll admit GL didn't grab me from the start and by the time I got episode 5-7, some asshole spoiled a major moment that stopped me from finishing it....

then Netflix took it off their site.

so

The first time I watched TTGL I only got to around the same point, then decided I wasn't too interested. A few years later a friend made me watch it. Fuck, I was dumb to not have watched it earlier.

Top Bottom