• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

NEO0MJ

I watched the show, but that was just a random plot twist that happened out of nowhere at the very end of the series for dramatic effect and that had no bearing on the overall story, which will probably also never be followed up on.

I don't know about that, there were plans for another season but it got canned, I think. I really wanted another season based on this art, would have been killer.

10215887986_55b1a2d68b_o.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I don't know about that, there were plans for another season but it got canned, I think. I really wanted another season based on this art, would have been killer.

Oh wow, never saw that art before. I had heard some people talking about how
Scanty and Kneesocks were going to be the main protagonists of a potential second season.
Still, unresolved cliffhangers are the worst and don't make me feel any better about it.

Unfortunate that a second season's most likely not going to happen; I did enjoy P&S. The extreme vulgarity and the art's general crudeness made me not mind what fanservice was in that show as much as how it's handled in Kill la Kill (and I don't think there was actually very much of it in P&S outside of the transformation scenes).

I'm sticking with Kill la Kill for now, but I don't have high hopes that the story will turn out to be anything special.

NEO0MJ

Unfortunate that a second season's most likely not going to happen; I did enjoy P&S. The extreme vulgarity and the art's general crudeness made me not mind what fanservice was in that show as much as how it's handled in Kill la Kill (and I don't think there was actually very much of it in P&S outside of the transformation scenes).

A second season isn't happening anymore, I know that much for sure. And yeah, in that show it was very hard to really call any of what was going on fan service. This show does toy around with that idea, even though it's not as well presented as in P&S.

Risette

A Good Citizen
My favorite part of the episode was probably Mako's friendship speech.
Next to Stupid Sexy Sensei, of course.
this part was super fucking adorable, made me smile
Agreed, ugh. I honestly found it annoying. It reduced the awesomeness of the first fight (only watched the first episode so far, debating whether I want to suffer through some more cringe worthy shit). Seriously though, I really think the main character seems pretty cool, just has a ton of attitude never present in most anime. I especially like that she has a very mature voice, not squeaky like every other single seiyuu of girl characters in anime. I just hate that the show is undermining her character by having this pandering bullcrap. It's just so stupid.
this series isn't for you

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Why not? Is fanservice the only thing this series has going for it?

Certainly not, but I can't imagine it'll be going anywhere, considering its prevalence in the first two episodes. If it bugs you pretty bad, chances are it'll affect your enjoyment the whole way through.

FluxWaveZ

Certainly not, but I can't imagine it'll be going anywhere, considering its prevalence in the first two episodes. If it bugs you pretty bad, chances are it'll affect your enjoyment the whole way through.

Sure, but it's not like one can't enjoy a series despite certain shortcomings they might have with it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Why not? Is fanservice the only thing this series has going for it?
a) no

b) the series is fairly clear about what it is/wants to be, and the "fan service" is going nowhere. if it bothers you, then it's gonna keep bothering you. probably more as the series goes on.

Sure, but it's not like one can't enjoy a series despite certain shortcomings they might have with it.

c) poster I quoted said:

Agreed, ugh. I honestly found it annoying. It reduced the awesomeness of the first fight (only watched the first episode so far, debating whether I want to suffer through some more cringe worthy shit). Seriously though, I really think the main character seems pretty cool, just has a ton of attitude never present in most anime. I especially like that she has a very mature voice, not squeaky like every other single seiyuu of girl characters in anime. I just hate that the show is undermining her character by having this pandering bullcrap. It's just so stupid.
if it bothers them to the degree that they have to consider whether or not they want to watch more episodes, then they shouldn't go on.

I can understand why someone would have complaints about the fanservice but the show is what it is.

You're going to have to decide whether or not the faults you find in the show are enough to dissuade you from watching it.

Personally I think I can appreciate the direction they are trying to go in, and hopefully whatever turns they decide to take as well.

The problem is overall, I really liked everything else. I just do not like this particular level of pandering. I do not have issue with reasonable levels of fan-service. It's just when it is used so blatantly and unrealistically it annoys me.

I like the attitude of the show and main character.
I like the crazy action and eccentric style.
I do not like fanservice that so defies realty that it makes me feel like I'm watching "High School of the Dead".

Ghost in the Shell almost had the same problem, but at least Motoko has a crazy cyborg body. I just dislike how the mc gets a stripperiffic outfit to fight in, when the other "Goku uniforms" clearly display their power with sheer size and strength. The boxer got huge ass gloves he could block attacks with as well as dishing some out himself. Ryuko got what? Basically nothing besides "the power of sexy".

I liked how she had the guts to fight them without the "cheat" of special uniform powers, but once she used it, it felt just too weird.

TL:DR, I want to like it, and I do like pretty much everything, but why can't they just keep Ryuko cool?

Pachinko

I finally watched both episodes of this , seeing as it's free to watch on that aniplex channel. Is there anywhere I can watch it in HD though ? the stream is in SD and the art in this show is amazing just like every other Imaishi show.

RE: Cutey Honey, Gurren Lagan and most recently Panty &stocking are some of the only animes in the last decade I've genuinely loved and Kill La Kill seems to continue that trend so far.

Don't know what else to say about this besides that. I liked it. I will continue to watch it.

Dresden

I finally watched both episodes of this , seeing as it's free to watch on that aniplex channel. Is there anywhere I can watch it in HD though ? the stream is in SD and the art in this show is amazing just like every other Imaishi show.

RE: Cutey Honey, Gurren Lagan and most recently Panty &stocking are some of the only animes in the last decade I've genuinely loved and Kill La Kill seems to continue that trend so far.

Don't know what else to say about this besides that. I liked it. I will continue to watch it.

Crunchyroll is probably your best option.

LordCanti

is it me or where there some flash animation level visuals mixed in?

When sensei is disrobing mostly? I think that choice was intentional. Everything else is so high quality that it's hard to believe they couldn't have carried it through to scenes like that if they had wanted.

Daisuki has a pretty good stream, not sure it's HD,

It is for Monogatari, so I'd hope it would be for KLK. Both streams are pretty compressed though, even if you're paying for crunchy (which kind of bummed me out. KLK looked great, but some other shows were macroblock city. I won't pay for this when the trial is up as long as Daisuki's stream is fine).

Silky

Banned

Hulu and Crunchyroll have it.

Gazoinks

When sensei is disrobing mostly? I think that choice was intentional. Everything else is so high quality that it's hard to believe they couldn't have carried it through to scenes like that if they had wanted.

It is for Monogatari, so I'd hope it would be for KLK. Both streams are pretty compressed though, even if you're paying for crunchy (which kind of bummed me out. KLK looked great, but some other shows were macroblock city. I won't pay for this when the trial is up as long as Daisuki's stream is fine).

The way I see it it's basically a case of them playing their limited budget for laughs. i.e. they could just cut corners and hope no one notices, but instead they elected to point it out and turn it into a joke, which I like.

Has anyone watched KLK 2 on Daisuki? Ep 1 had sound problems, and I'm hoping 2 is fixeded.

ZoddGutts

Ep 2 was good. Laughed at the fat dad on top of the female lead heavily breathing on her in a perverted way, quite obvious who the fanservice in this series is intended towards too....

LordCanti

Oh, good to hear. Must've just been a temporary problem, then.

Yeah, I think I saw on their twitter that they had reuploaded E1. They're prone to some problems (audio, subs missing, etc) but they're completely free and pretty much as fast as CR (I still need to find out exactly how far off they are).

Also, they sent me a prize from one of their raffles. That makes them good people in my book. Not good enough that I won't point out the growing pains they've had of course, but still.

Gazoinks

Yeah, I think I saw on their twitter that they had reuploaded E1. They're prone to some problems (audio, subs missing, etc) but they're completely free and pretty much as fast as CR (I still need to find out exactly how far off they are).

Also, they sent me a prize from one of their raffles. That makes them good people in my book. Not good enough that I won't point out the growing pains they've had of course, but still.

With Kill La Kill at least, they were pretty much simultaneous with Crunchy. As long as the problems are acknowledged and fixed, it's all good.

In terms of the OP and ED I find it's the same as it was like with Gurren Lagann. By that I mean I really like the OP for Kill la Kill but I feel lukewarm towards the ED.

LordCanti

With Kill La Kill at least, they were pretty much simultaneous with Crunchy. As long as the problems are acknowledged and fixed, it's all good.

Pretty much simultaneous is good enough for me. They always do acknowledge their mistakes, although one particular one (subs not being on an episode of Monogatari) took a bit longer than I'd have liked. They're all based in Japan though, so it may have been the middle of the night when it went up or something, which would explain the delay.

If only they could hire an American who was willing to check their streams in real time and interface with the community. If only...if only....

I accept all job offers in my PM box

Someone on my twitter noticed this small detail of a character playing with Marvel figures in the bottom right:

LOL, nice catch! With everything going on in most of the scenes I did not see it till now.

I really liked the moment right after the OP when Ryuko arrives back in town on the train and she begins to fall over but the frame count gets cut short. I love gags like that.

Same here. I love when they make stuff like that part of the moment.

After the opening I expected some super long and elaborate transformation scene ala sailor moon and then came this:

wsa6gjrq.gif

lol, I'm in love with this show.

LOL yeah. Like someone else said earlier, it's fantastic how expressive and dynamic the visuals are in Imaishi shows, the expressions, stuff like this etc, love it.

lmao at Aikuro. The way he slicks back his hair rivals Aizen.

Also this show is 24-26 eps long. We're not even close to the endgame lol.

Everytime I see this, YES! It's awesome that this show is getting 20+ eps and not just 12-13.

Gotta say, they have a fox news level of originality when it comes to getting upset about things that don't matter and were never issues before they made it one.

I consider Kotaku like a Fox news fan blog of video games and stuff. Think about this closely for a second folks. As if Fox news isn't bad enough, just imagine a fan blog of it. On top of that, think about the caste system in india. Got it? Incorporate that into the blog. You got Kotaku

Raytow

The fuck... P&S second season got canned? I'm gonna cry myself to sleep now.

I know I probably am not the only one getting these vibes, but does anyone else think that
Ryuko Matoi and Satsuki Kiryuin are quite possibly half sisters?

Spoiler just in case

I know I probably am not the only one getting these vibes, but does anyone else think that
Ryuko Matoi and Satsuki Kiryuin are quite possibly half sisters?

Spoiler just in case

I'm going for Satsuki is actually a boy, and will be the main love interest later in the series.:D

EDIT: Fuck she has boobies :( Ah well. I hope that's a Kamina level twist somewhere in the future.

Link Man

Banned
I'm going for Satsuki is actually a boy, and will be the main love interest later in the series.:D

EDIT: Fuck she has boobies :( Ah well. I hope that's a Kamina level twist somewhere in the future.

Who's to say she still won't be the love interest? They haven't touched on sexuality at all.

Brutalx2

Just watched the 1+2 episodes of this anime and let me tell you something.
In the beginning i was thinking to myself :"WTF AM I WATCHING ?!" but the moment i got the track of things i got mind explosions! The order of events are so fast so you can't take your eyes off the screen !

Good anime! Can't see what they are going to do with that :D

7Th

Episode 3 was screened today in Japan; people were asked to not post spoilers online, but they are hyping it a lot. Animation is supposedly insane, the story goes to places people weren't expecting before the final episode and
it was pretty much confirmed that the show won't be episodic or "monster of the week-ish" at all.

Gazoinks

Episode 3 was screened today in Japan; people were asked to not post spoilers online, but they are hyping it a lot. Animation is supposedly insane, the story goes to places people weren't expecting before the final episode and
it was pretty much confirmed that the show won't be episodic or "monster of the week-ish" at all.

Yes yes good hype. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes. Hopefully they'll bring out more of the supposed character development focus.

cntr

Banned

Oh man, Hype la Hype indeed.

Top Bottom