• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Zeppeli

Banned
It looks like Junketsu though is really Ragyou's outfit moreso than Satsuki's.

Nah, I'm feeling that it's probably been intertwined to work properly with Satsuki's DNA. Either that, or she'll join NUDISTO BEACH

Also, I just realized that
REVOC
is
COVER
backwards.

Evilisk

So I wonder if Satsuki is going to get a new outfit.

No need for new outfit, let's go back to the superior pants Satsuki (Pants-uki?)

1390712140879.png

(Also Makotaro while we're at it, if it's not impossible that is :/)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh my Gooooooood.

And the teaser for next episode...I want it now, not next week ;_;

Verelios

Am I a bad person for feeling more regret towards Satsuki than for Ryuko this episode?

I just can't bring myself to like Ryuko as the lead.

And IraXMako confirmed OTP.

NotLiquid

Believe it or not I'm... actually really disappointed with this episode. At the very least it's resolution.

The problem I have with the "I'm your mother Ryuko" twist is that it makes little to no sense in the context of the plot. The show just conveniently pulled out a new set of circumstances right out of it's ass to justify a twist for twist's sake that only explains itself under the course of 30 seconds. Maybe I ought to appreciate that the predictable theory wasn't what prevailed but predictable theories don't have to be bad if there's cause enough to build something up, and wasting the foreshadowing of a Kinue twist really has me disappointed and proves that Kill La Kill likes to think it's audience has an attention span of a fly.

For that matter it needlessly changes Ryuko's motivations yet again and leaves a lot of circumstances changed for characters that didn't need them. Nui at this point is literally a space occupier and I'm getting the sense that the rest of the plot is going to be way too laid out in a predictable matter. The fact that everyone "important" to the plot has to be connected to one another reeks of the same cheap stake-raising methods that influences a lot of crap media these days like the Spider-Man reboot.

Anyway I'm done ranting. The episode itself was definitely a lot better managed than most others and in terms of action scenes it was mad hype. But urgh, I'm honestly not stoked on what's in store.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm sorry bros but anyone who didn't see the
Ryuko is Ragyo's daughter and she and Satsuki are sisters
twist coming from ten miles away and thought
Ryuko and Tsumugu being related was a more plausible theory
severely lacks any genre-savvy with this sort of anime.

NotLiquid

I only really started to see that coming
once the show conveniently mentioned Ragyo had a second child for the purpose of life fiber infusion, which was really the only explicit implication compared to the previous theories that had a series of explicit implications across multiple episodes.

Genre savvy or not I still can't say I'm too fond of the amount of convenience. I don't think there had to be anything wrong with the outcome but the way it was managed to me feels really lazy.

Thoraxes

I only really started to see that coming
once the show conveniently mentioned Ragyo had a second child for the purpose of life fiber infusion, which was really the only explicit implication compared to the previous theories that had a series of explicit implications across multiple episodes.

Genre savvy or not I still can't say I'm too fond of the amount of convenience. I don't think there had to be anything wrong with the outcome but the way it was managed to me feels really lazy.

I think you're crazy, and that even though we all knew it was gonna happen, they delivered it in a method none of us saw coming.

To me it doesn't really feel like a contrivance. The show has done a good job of making it worth it and building it properly for a long time coming. I've been satisfied by the events that took place and felt like they were earned properly.

I do understand you got a different feeling than I did, which is fine. We're two different people and aren't going to have the same reactions.

Evilisk

I think you're crazy, and that even though we all knew it was gonna happen, they delivered it in a method none of us saw coming.

To me it doesn't really feel like a contrivance. The show has done a good job of making it worth it and building it properly.

I cannot agree on them building it up properly.

Ryuuko and Satsuki being sisters
was essentially a throwaway day-1 theory until this episode.

"Oh hey btw we just thought we would let you know that Ragyo actually did have a second child and we're not telling you this because it's going to be important in the next couple of minutes or anything, no we just wanted to let you know because you're all cool, ciao!"

And this isn't even the first time they've done it, see Inu's conveniently relevant flashback in episode 10 just as we're getting into Revocs, or Takarada's convenient exposition that reveals the Takarada Conglomerate is actually important back in episode 14/15

It's a load of crap and it's just like Nui actually being Isshin's killer; it's dumb, it relies on past hints actually being red herrings (like that stupid Blue Scissor Blade and Satsuki's silhouette and in this case, Tsumugu being related as Senketsu needs Matoi DNA and Tsumugu heard Senketsu) and it's by far less interesting than the theories that were wrong (Nui not actually being the killer and
Ryuuko, Tsumugu and Kinue all being related by blood/DNA
).

kazebyaka

Banned
Good episode, but I think Samurai Flamenco does twists a lot better. In the latest ep of SF I was like "holy shit,wtf", and here it was "I knew all along".

Thoraxes

I cannot agree on them building it up properly.

Ryuuko and Satsuki being sisters
was essentially a throwaway day-1 theory until this episode.

"Oh hey btw we just thought we would let you know that Ragyo actually did have a second child and we're not telling you this because it's going to be important in the next couple of minutes or anything, no we just wanted to let you know because you're all cool, ciao!"

And this isn't even the first time they've done it, see Inu's conveniently relevant flashback in episode 10 just as we're getting into Revocs, or Takarada's convenient exposition that reveals the Takarada Conglomerate is actually important back in episode 14/15

It's a load of crap and it's just like Nui actually being Isshin's killer; it's dumb, it relies on past hints actually being red herrings (like that stupid Blue Scissor Blade and Satsuki's silhouette and in this case, Tsumugu being related as Senketsu needs Matoi DNA and Tsumugu heard Senketsu) and it's by far less interesting than the theories that were wrong (Nui not actually being the killer and
Ryuuko, Tsumugu and Kinue all being related by blood/DNA
).
I disagree. But I do think the speculation is part of the fun, too. And I wouldn't call it throwaway; it's been pretty legit since day 1 and a lot of people have tried to elaborate on the hints dropped throughout the series by using lots of context clues from the stuff i've read.

Chariot

Good episode, but I think Samurai Flamenco does twists a lot better. In the latest ep of SF I was like "holy shit,wtf", and here it was "I knew all along".
I dunno, I like twists with foreshadowing better than out of nowwhere stuff. SF just throughs twists around like their bread, without any foreshadowing.

sonicmj1

We were wandering in the wilderness there for a while, but the last four episodes have been totally on point. The action and sense of constant escalation are awesome.

I'm 100% on board.

Cybran

Neo Member
Someone in this thread totally called it.
Ragyo is a Sirene homage from Devilman.

The episode was sick as always!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kill La Kill episode 18
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

rexor0717

That episode tho.
I was getting hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype.

Yeah, the OP kinda suggests such things. It was my main theory from the start.

Dat episode 18...amaze-balls.
Totally did not see that twist where Matoi is really Satsuki's half-sister coming (until they revealed that there was another baby), where as I've been able to predict the others parts of the series easily O_O

JoeFu

Banned
dang... this episode

holy crap good stuff. Really happy with how the shows turning out the past few episodes. The middle was kind of a drag, but everything past the school raid trip has been really good.

From the PV it seems we finally get some elite four action, maybe they'll actually get to do something...

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and the ending of this episode completely invalidates the first half of this series. So Ryuuko was seeking to avenge some guy who she barely knew and wasn't even her dad.

dan2026

I would tell you to fuck off, but that wouldnt be neogaf appropriate... but apparently asking someone if they got a "chubby" because some fucked up show sexualizes rape of a minor is

If sexualisation of teenage characters bothers you, its time to find a new show to watch.
It's been exactly the same from episode 1.

Astarte

Oh and the ending of this episode completely invalidates the first half of this series. So Ryuuko was seeking to avenge some guy who she barely knew and wasn't even her dad.

Not really, you can still see someone as a father/father figure regardless of blood relation.

Kyuur

I would tell you to fuck off, but that wouldnt be neogaf appropriate... but apparently asking someone if they got a "chubby" because some fucked up show sexualizes rape of a minor is

I'm sorry but what? Rape is sexual by nature. It cannot be 'sexualized' when it is already a sexual act. It sounds like you're just angry that there are rape scenes in general (which I do not think is right, I thought they did a good job of showing how fucked up and inhumane Ragyo is).

And frankly, the attempted murder of an infant ranks higher on disgust level than that.

Top Bottom