• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I can remember the local anime freakout that turned everyone in the area against anime forever. The local news learned that our blockbuster was carrying something called "Naked Mission" (which I now assume was Agent Aika) and learned there were sex scenes. I guess BB had rented it to a kid or something, but anyway, the whole "anime is for perverts" thing stuck real hard.
Lies, old anime is absolutely perfect and pristine!

daveo42

Banned
Well, I'm disappointed in myself for reading those episode 3 spoilers, but glad that's the direction this thing is going in.

Gah, it can't be Thursday fast enough!

I'm really enjoying this. I admit, I'm a sucker for over the top, hyper stylized, nonsensical action comedy shows. It's been a while since I've seen one with this level of quality though. Her battle suit is pretty damn egregious but at least they acknowledge it lol.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how this show will hold up for people marathoning it in the future. This much concentrated cartoon energy is probably best experienced in small weekly doses.

I shouldn't have watched that preview.
ibqowjFRIMksfy.gif

So is the general consensus that the fanservice isn't going to be toned down? I have a problem with it but not to the point where I'd stop watching KLK.

sn00zer

Yeah, except for the fact that fictional characters drawn for your entertainment aren't "minors". Hell, they aren't even real people or even depict reality in even the slightest way.

this train of thought could be used to justify some very strange things

Jarate

Banned
Also, Im enjoying this show because, while the character is naked and shit, and those scenes are there for fan service, none of the characters act in a manner in which they're personality are fan service. It was the reason why i didn't like Pant and Stocking as i thought the characters acted way to fanservicey, as opposed to being just sexy females. In Kill La Kill, the main character is an actual character, and isn't doing things just to be a waifu. She feels like a person of the universe.

Also, to the people complaining about fanservice, what's the difference between it now and between it in like Gurren Lagann with Yoko.

ReiGun

Also, to the people complaining about fanservice, what's the difference between it now and between it in like Gurren Lagann with Yoko.
For one, Yoko's design is actually aesthetically pleasing.

As much as some would like to paint everyone who dislikes the suit as prudish, "won't someone think of the children?!"-types, I don't actually have that big a deal with sexualization. At least, in the sense that I'm willing to just roll my eyes and go with it. All I ask is that the design at least cool or interesting; bonus points if it actually makes some sense for the character.

The Kamui looks like shit, even without taking the sexualization into account. I've said before that the off mode is a much better design: it's a better fit for the character and is more pleasing to look at. Yoko's design, while sexual in nature, was similarly fitting for the character, fun, memorable, and looked cool. I could get over the sexualization because I liked the design. Plus, GL doesn't ask me to buy the idea that Yoko's outfit is supposed to be battle armor, unlike KlK. (Sidenote: if that thing needs her blood to work, thus limiting the amount of time she can fight, why does it leave so much of her exposed? She takes any real damage or cut and she's dead.)

Long story short, make sexy costumes if you so desire, but make them cool

Yonafunu

From sushiobunny's Tumblr (which I'm sure some of you are familiar with in some way or another):

As you could probably tell from the preview, episode 3 of Kill la Kill is a super-important, super-animated super-episode. It got screened in Japan a few hours ago in UfotableCinema and thankfully CEO Otsuka asked people people were asked to please don’t spoil it. They posted their impressions (without spoiling, of course) and they’re basically “it’s a final episode at the start of a new show, amazing”, “greatest final battle”, “Yoshinari got top KA credit” and “the show got compeltely turned in its head, I don’t know what to expect any more!” and so; it’s also the first properly serious episode of the show. But the events in the episode are HUGE so if you don’t want to get spoiled you should probably avoid Tumblr this Thursday.

As expected next episode is going to be some sort of turning point in the story or direction this seems to be taking.

HYPE

edit: just noticed I'm late with this, sorry 7th!

Jarate

Banned
nIuJSDw.jpg

this is such a great design for a sniper, long hair that isn't held back at all, perfect for sniping, not only that, we also see her use the sniper rifle as almost a regular rifle, so nothing says awesome battle armor like a fire red bikini and a tight pair of short shorts!

also, it's heavily implied that the armor she gets, while not technically covering her body, in some way protects her entire body from these things. Think of it as some type of bullshit anime aura that protects the body, or maybe the suit just makes her body super solid.

7Th

All I ask is that the design at least cool or interesting; bonus points if it actually makes some sense for the character.

How isn't it interesting?

The Kamui looks like shit, even without taking the sexualization into account. I've said before that the off mode is a much better design: it's a better fit for the character and is more pleasing to look at./QUOTE]

In what way does it look like shit?

Yoko's design, while sexual in nature, was similarly fitting for the character, fun, memorable, and looked cool.

How isn't it memorable? It's prettly unique and there is little like it.

Plus, GL doesn't ask me to buy the idea that Yoko's outfit is supposed to be battle armor, unlike KlK. (Sidenote: if that thing needs her blood to work, thus limiting the amount of time she can fight, why does it leave so much of her exposed? She takes any real damage or cut and she's dead.)

It's not a battle armor; it's not meant to protect her: Senketsu turns Ryuuko into a Superman-like character. She has super-strength, super-speed and super-resistance. If it isn't by Satsuki's sword or something similarly strong, she can't be harmed... even if they try to hit her in the uncovered parts.

ReiGun

nIuJSDw.jpg

this is such a great design for a sniper, long hair that isn't held back at all, perfect for sniping, not only that, we also see her use the sniper rifle as almost a regular rifle, so nothing says awesome battle armor like a fire red bikini and a tight pair of short shorts!

also, it's heavily implied that the armor she gets, while not technically covering her body, in some way protects her entire body from these things. Think of it as some type of bullshit anime aura that protects the body, or maybe the suit just makes her body super solid.
GL doesn't treat Yoko's clothing like battle armor, it's just her regular clothing. Same way that Kamina and Simon walk around shirtless in jackets. It's just their regular clothes. The kamui, however, is clearly meant to be some kind of battle armor.

How isn't it interesting?
The most interesting thing about it is the sexualization (evidenced by the fact that that's all anyone talks about), but I don't find that particularly interesting on its own. At least, not enough to endear me to the design.

In what way does it look like shit?
The best thing about it, the color scheme, works better in the off most. The breast plate looks gaudy given that there really isn't anything under it; actually it kind of clashes with the stockings and skirt that make up the bottom half.

How isn't it memorable? It's prettly unique and there is little like it.
I was saying that Yoko's costume was memorable, not that the Kamui wasn't.

It's not a battle armor; it's not meant to protect her: Senketsu turns Ryuuko into a Superman-like character. She has super-strength, super-speed and super-resistance. If it isn't by Satsuki's sword or something similarly strong, she can't be harmed... even if they try to hit her in the uncovered parts.
Well I stand corrected.

Jarate

Banned
GL doesn't treat Yoko's clothing like battle armor, it's just her regular clothing. Same way that Kamina and Simon walk around shirtless in jackets. It's just their regular clothes. The kamui, however, is clearly meant to be some kind of battle armor.

No, the clothes are more or less meant to transform, we already know this just be watching the damn show

It's a fucking cartoon too, it's supposed to be stylized. Not everything needs to look 100% practical because it's a fucking cartoon.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Did you guys not watch the first episode? It shows an Ultima Uniform turning an overweight dude into a muscular guy. It's explicitly shown that wearing the suit affects the user's own internal condition, rather than being like a powered suit where it's simply providing a shell.

Crocodile

For one, Yoko's design is actually aesthetically pleasing.

As much as some would like to paint everyone who dislikes the suit as prudish, "won't someone think of the children?!"-types, I don't actually have that big a deal with sexualization. At least, in the sense that I'm willing to just roll my eyes and go with it. All I ask is that the design at least cool or interesting; bonus points if it actually makes some sense for the character.

The Kamui looks like shit, even without taking the sexualization into account. I've said before that the off mode is a much better design: it's a better fit for the character and is more pleasing to look at. Yoko's design, while sexual in nature, was similarly fitting for the character, fun, memorable, and looked cool. I could get over the sexualization because I liked the design. Plus, GL doesn't ask me to buy the idea that Yoko's outfit is supposed to be battle armor, unlike KlK. (Sidenote: if that thing needs her blood to work, thus limiting the amount of time she can fight, why does it leave so much of her exposed? She takes any real damage or cut and she's dead.)

Long story short, make sexy costumes if you so desire, but make them cool

A) I agree, that isn't a particularly helpful counter-arguement. I'm sure it applies to some individuals but it doesn't apply to all, is accusatory and tends to stifle conversation if it isn't obvious that it can be used to describe an individual.

B) I may need to rewatch the begging of episode 2 but its pretty clear from the fights in episodes 1 & 2 that it does protect the parts of her that are uncovered. It's less "armor" and more a full-scale body transformation.

P.S. I miss your chibi-Superman avatar. It was adorable :)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
A) I agree, that isn't a particularly helpful counter-arguement. I'm sure it applies to some individuals but it doesn't apply to all, is accusatory and tends to stifle conversation if it isn't obvious that it can be used to describe an individual.
It's hardly surprising given the vast majority of complaints these days are along those lines. Actually talking about the aesthetics instead of beating anime fans with a club is what's unexpected.

Mesoian

People talking about sexualizatim in anime should watch freezing.

That is sexualized anime. Bare boobs everywhere

Freezing is also terrible. There are dozens of terrible shows who's focus is nothing but showing off tits. The current Maken-Ki is way more guilty of it than Freezing is.

People are upset, or at the very least nervious, because this show looked like so much more than just another stupid fanservice show before the reveal of the suit, and it's JUST that suit that seemingly doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

It's growing on people now, but that doesn't change the fact that, after 2 episode, Senketsu's design is still dramatically out of place within the rest of the world, so much so that the focus of the narrative often shifts to Senketsu's presense rather than Matoi's revenge.

Crocodile

It's hardly surprising given the vast majority of complaints these days are along those lines. Actually talking about the aesthetics instead of beating anime fans with a club is what's unexpected.

Yeah I can see how one can become frustrated and have it spill into other conversations :( When it comes to anime, I feel the nostalgia goggles can be THICK around these parts.

Freezing is also terrible. There are dozens of terrible shows who's focus is nothing but showing off tits. The current Maken-Ki is way more guilty of it than Freezing is.

People are upset, or at the very least nervious, because this show looked like so much more than just another stupid fanservice show before the reveal of the suit, and it's JUST that suit that seemingly doesn't fit with the rest of the show.

It's growing on people now, but that doesn't change the fact that, after 2 episode, Senketsu's design is still dramatically out of place within the rest of the world, so much so that the focus of the narrative often shifts to Senketsu's presense rather than Matoi's revenge.

Let's be fair: from what we've seen so far it's pretty obvious that this show isn't "just another fanservice show". Like I totally understand not liking the fanservice but it's pretty damn obvious that this is a show that HAS fanservice (like nearly all the works by this director) rather than a show that IS/ABOUT fanservice. Just because it has tits doesn't make it any less of a show.

ReiGun

No, the clothes are more or less meant to transform, we already know this just be watching the damn show

It's a fucking cartoon too, it's supposed to be stylized. Not everything needs to look 100% practical because it's a fucking cartoon.
I understand that, hence why I said making sense was "bonus points." The main thrust of my argument was that the Kamui isn't a very aesthetically pleasing costume, whereas Yoko's is. However, I felt it worth noting since the question was about why I like Yoko's suit but not Ryuko's and thought that was an near point.

I thought the thing was armor; blame my misunderstanding the explanation of how the uniforms work. *shrug*

A)

B) I may need to rewatch the begging of episode 2 but its pretty clear from the fights in episodes 1 & 2 that it does protect the parts of her that are uncovered. It's less "armor" and more a full-scale body transformation.

P.S. I miss your chibi-Superman avatar. It was adorable :)
Yeah, I clearly didn't get how the uniforms work. My bad. lol

And I miss it, too. I reckon I should change back.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Let's be fair: from what we've seen so far it's pretty obvious that this show isn't "just another fanservice show". Like I totally understand not liking the fanservice but it's pretty damn obvious that this is a show that HAS fanservice (like nearly all the works by this director) rather than a show that IS/ABOUT fanservice. Just because it has tits doesn't make it any less of a show.
Also considering the revealing poses made by the male teacher, the show is just sexually charged in general!

KmA

Also considering the revealing poses made by the male teacher, the show is just sexually charged in general!

Seriously, anyone who is solely pointing out the battle armor has not been paying attention. The show itself points out how ridiculous it looks and the universe in general is oddly sexually charged.

Moaradin

The fanservice was never an issue to me since this show just seems super sexualized in general. I mean, look at the fucking teacher in episode two and how every enemy Matoi has beat so far gets stripped naked. It feels like a theme of the show rather than just random fanservice.

Mesoian

Well the main theme is about a sailor outfit that transforms into a sling that the heroine then has to do battle in, whether she's embarressed or not. The show IS about fanservice, it's just not leaning into it as heavily as other shows in similar situations tend to do. And yes, the show is clearly about more than the how the suit looks, the problem is that, at least in the first two episodes, the plot of the show seems to be taking a backseat to to the suit itself. Now, it's not fair to judge the entire thing based on that one aspect, especially when, almost universally, people like everything else about the show except that outfit (or don't care); But the show increasingly makes it difficult to wave off as being "just another bit of anime fanservice" when it shines the spotlight so brightly on it.

I mean...I get it, I do. But...this show (NSFW)

Is often
Difficult
To
Defend.

TL:DR - I'm tired of having to be embarrassed by shows that look interesting, and Kill la Kill is making it damn hard to endorse.

Klyka

Banned

When the actual characters INSIDE THE SHOW comment on how inappropriate her outfit is, I think taking it in any way serious and not as a parody is just dumb.

Mesoian

When the actual characters INSIDE THE SHOW comment on how inappropriate her outfit is, I think taking it in any way serious and not as a parody is just dumb.

When they do so while drooling and making fondling motions with their hands...not really.

Look, I get it, it's supposed to be so over the top that you don't see it as sexy, you see it as...almost utilitarian for the weird oppressive world they live in. That doesn't make it any less pandering for the audience.

I mean, you can't just play it off by saying the people in the show think it's weird too, which makes it okay. There are plenty of self aware fanservice based animes who do the same thing that are WAAAAAAAY more pandering than Kill la Kill, but they don't suddenly get a pass because "the nudity is the joke, right guys? Right? ::elbow nudge::"

Dresden

TL:DR - I'm tired of having to be embarrassed by shows that look interesting, and Kill la Kill is making it damn hard to endorse.

Isn't being caught reading a rag like Sankaku embarrassing as well? :p

---

What I noticed is that Senketsu doesn't look so lewd on real human beings; seems like rather standard fare once you remove it from the context of the show. I think people get caught up in KLK's brand of hyper-exaggeration without realizing that it applies to the lewd stuff, too, the way it distorts and focuses on Ryuko's sexuality.

The sexy teacher stuff is a good reflection of that: while its presence doesn't do much to balance out the disproportionate level of attention leveled at her sexuality compared to the male, the way it's presented should be taken as a mirror of what happens with Ryuko. The kind of cheek with which they handle it should key people in, I think, on just what's happening with the heroine.

I've said this before, and I agree with ReiGun - the battle outfit looks bad - but even that has grown on me these past two episodes. And I'm not sure if using Yoko as a contrast works so well, given that she as a character is far more problematic than Ryuko's exposed abs.

Mesoian

Isn't being caught reading a rag like Sankaku embarrassing as well? :p

EXTREMELY. But it has it's uses. Sankaku is usually pretty good to tell whether or not I'm going to like an anime or just get turned off by what the japanese ideal of sexy is. But I've been tricked before (season 2 of Bakemonogatari was so bad, but they loved it because it turned into an incest RomCom).

The sexy teacher stuff is a good reflection of that: while its presence doesn't do much to balance out the disproportionate level of attention leveled at her sexuality compared to the male, the way it's presented should be taken as a mirror of what happens with Ryuko. The kind of cheek with which they handle it should key people in, I think, on just what's happening with the heroine.

This isn't a bad way to think about it, but they haven't spent enough time on really driving home the point that the pandering nature of the sexualized stuff has within the story; because it feels like the needlessness of the more brazen sexuality that gets casually tossed around by characters who seem to be against the establishment will have a purpose. But the show thus far has spent so much time sort of following the usual shonen path that they haven't been able to expand upon it yet. Something tells me we're going to get to episode 6 or 7 and we'll get our "AAAAAAAAAAAH" moment, we're all of this stuff stops being outrageous eyecandy and gains meaning.

But again, I don't want that to mean that all the characters in the show are going to be slings, thongs and booty shorts going up against KLK's version of the PTA, gurren lagann style.

If the point is that the fanservice can make the show difficult to recommend to people, I can agree with that. I don't think fanservice in and of itself is bad though.

Keep in mind that we're only getting episode 3 out of 24 which
apparently already looks like a finale
. I wouldn't lay opinions down in concrete just yet.

Superflat

I can't find the suit to be titillating at all. It's a "sexy" suit on a girl who isn't represented in a typical feminine way. In many ways it's tongue in cheek and making fun of the trope. Fighting fire with fire might not be one's cup of tea but that's how I see it. The show isn't trying to be coy and draw me in with fanservice.

The worst kind of fanservice to me is when they sneak in peeps of underwear shots because that's more of a *nudge nudge* *wink wink* "Hey, we know what you guys REALLY want" kind of skeevy shit that I don't want in anime.

This season's Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta is guilty of that. It's a perfectly cool family-friendly kind of show from the look of things, but then out of nowhere these really "unfortunate" camera angles bust out of nowhere. Those are truly out of place. I'm willing to look over it so far because it does everything else so well, but still >:l

Crocodile

Well the main theme is about a sailor outfit that transforms into a sling that the heroine then has to do battle in, whether she's embarressed or not. The show IS about fanservice, it's just not leaning into it as heavily as other shows in similar situations tend to do. And yes, the show is clearly about more than the how the suit looks, the problem is that, at least in the first two episodes, the plot of the show seems to be taking a backseat to to the suit itself. Now, it's not fair to judge the entire thing based on that one aspect, especially when, almost universally, people like everything else about the show except that outfit (or don't care); But the show increasingly makes it difficult to wave off as being "just another bit of anime fanservice" when it shines the spotlight so brightly on it.

I mean...I get it, I do. But...this show (NSFW)

Is often
Difficult
To
Defend.

No the main theme of the show is about a girl who follows a lead about the death of her father to a school where people have clothes that give them super powers. She's been fighting her way through the fascist regime that is the administration to try to find answers. I think it's obvious from the posts in this thread like "I loved everything about this save the fanservice" that the show has a ton more to offer be it world setting, action, comedy, energy, animation, cool & interesting characters, etc.

I'll be honest in that I've never seen an episode of Maken-ki or Freezing but your descriptions of the show pretty much match my research (i.e. reading plot synopsis and some forum posts talking about them) and are the reason I never bothered with them: if you aren't interested in the fanservice, they have absolutely nothing to offer you.

Like many shows that ARE fanservice, those series seem to have milquetoast, self insertion main characters, women with the personalities of bricks who want the main character's D for no explicit reason, forgettable action, super-shitty "comedy" (On noes you touched by boob, Oh noes you saw my panties, etc.), uninteresting worlds, consistently mediocre to shit animation, etc. The fact that KLK has plenty to offer to those who dislike/don't care about the fanservice disproves your point.

As for embarrassing? Who are you afraid of being embarrassed to? It can't be random people on the internet because who gives a fuck what random people on the internet think. I don't know anything about your family, significant other or coworkers but I feel pretty confident that you're a swell enough dude that they all like you enough to not give two shits about what kind of cartoons you watch :p

Mesoian

As for embarrassing? Who are you afraid of being embarrassed to? It can't be random people on the internet because who gives a fuck what random people on the internet think. I don't know anything about your family, significant other or coworkers but I feel pretty confident that you're a swell enough dude that they all like you enough to not give two shits about what kind of cartoons you watch :p

Let's put it this way, the only anime I've been able to recommend to people who aren't already nose deep into it has been Attack on Titan, because it's one of the few shows that feels like it's geared to both young adults and adults alike. Most of the stuff that comes out now a days doesn't treat fanservice as a thing to be splashed around here and there to add to a scene, it gratuitous and sloppy and dumb. It's like preparing to eat a steak, only wanting a splash of salt on the top, but the lid to the shaker comes off and it get buried in it. I used to recommend Bakemonogatari to people because the first season was a beautifully animated, genuinely funny series about dating, sex, relationships and supernatural creatures in a high school setting, but I had to stop when the second season was almost 100% about the MC wanting or getting extremely close to, fucking his sisters. And stuff that I liked that doesn't have any of that nonsense is geared so young, like Tsuritama...it's hard to find an anime that treats you like you have half a brain, because clearly, "this is anime and you're an adolescent boy, so here's some tits in your face because you like that right?"

Shit's embarrassing, especially if you have to explain away something like Or-i-moe being popular enough where people who aren't into anime know what it is, and you have to explain it to them. Literally, this happened about 3 months ago, my aunt asked me what Or-i-Moe was. My niece ran out of the room full tilt. I wish I had done the same.

Dresden

This isn't a bad way to think about it, but they haven't spent enough time on really driving home the point that the pandering nature of the sexualized stuff has within the story; because it feels like the needlessness of the more brazen sexuality that gets casually tossed around by characters who seem to be against the establishment will have a purpose . . . Something tells me we're going to get to episode 6 or 7 and we'll get our "AAAAAAAAAAAH" moment, we're all of this stuff stops being outrageous eyecandy and gains meaning.

I doubt it'll have any more in-story purpose than the thematic contrast between the transfer student and the school. You're looking for the kind of justification that will never be there. And . . . that's fine.

Shit's embarrassing

Your embarrassment isn't the show's concern, though. And projecting your dislike of shit like Oreimo onto this isn't the best way to go about things.

Top Bottom