• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Guess Who

Banned
Man, can we just talk for a minute about how fucking great the second OP is? The first one was pretty generic and forgettable but the second one is god damned perfect. Lyrics fit the show, animation fits the music, that battle between Ryuko and Satsuki and the blood splattering on the debris to form the title of the show is wonderful.
Also I noticed they added the Elite Four's Nudist Beach uniforms to their outfit rotations in the OP

TUSR

Banned
Man, can we just talk for a minute about how fucking great the second OP is? The first one was pretty generic and forgettable but the second one is god damned perfect. Lyrics fit the show, animation fits the music, that battle between Ryuko and Satsuki and the blood splattering on the debris to form the title of the show is wonderful.
Also I noticed they added the Elite Four's Nudist Beach uniforms to their outfit rotations in the OP

yeah OP2 is so fucking good

Evilisk

The song is great (I wasn't expecting it to be any good), but I don't like the CG and I don't like how little 2D animation there is in it. Even Fairy Tail of all anime has more animation in their openings than this...

duckroll

The song is great (I wasn't expecting it to be any good), but I don't like the CG and I don't like how little 2D animation there is in it. Even Fairy Tail of all anime has more animation in their openings than this...

Sounds like it's representative of the show itself. Isn't that what good opening sequences do? Represent the show? :)

Cybran

Neo Member
Not that I have a problem with people expressing that they like Ryuko, it's just a little odd that people say "I don't get why other people don't like" when I feel people have explained themselves quite clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyaVC8rHbp4#t=217

From the start of the show Ryuko has had no direction. She doesn't have ambitions, aspirations or a grand purpose. Her father didn't want her to get involved into the whole war which is why he send her away.

When she heard that Senketsu was a weapon created to fight Life Fibers she got angry and took him off. She doesn't believe in the threads of fate garbage and all she ever wanted was a family shown in her interactions with the Mankanshoku family.

Everything happening to her has been straining her and she eventually caved in. She started as the nobody "transfer student" that always gets looked down upon to become a life fiber monster more powerful than the "disappointing" first born daughter Satsuki and Ragyo's favourite.

Her meltdown is the most interesting thing in the show. She has managed to snap out her rage by herself and with Mako's help twice now. And even if she completely loses her mind and becomes the main villain, the show and her character will still be great.

Damnit, she looks like a bleach character.

dialandu01.jpg

She looks like Dilandau from Escaflowne.

jman2050

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyaVC8rHbp4#t=217

From the start of the show Ryuko has had no direction. She doesn't have ambitions, aspirations or a grand purpose. Her father didn't want her to get involved into the whole war which is why he send her away.

When she heard that Senketsu was a weapon created to fight Life Fibers she got angry and took him off. She doesn't believe in the threads of fate garbage and all she ever wanted was a family shown in her interactions with the Mankanshoku family.

Everything happening to her has been straining her and she eventually caved in. She started as the nobody "transfer student" that always gets looked down upon to become a life fiber monster more powerful than the "disappointing" first born daughter Satsuki and Ragyo's favourite.

Her meltdown is the most interesting thing in the show. She has managed to snap out her rage by herself and with Mako's help twice now. And even if she completely loses her mind and becomes the main villain, the show and her character will still be great.

Ryuko certainly isn't my favorite character but I think her role and development is necessary for how this story as progressed. As I said before, it's a classic but well-executed implementation of the Role Reversal. At the start, Ryuko is the nobody with nothing to her name who has to work her way up by her own sweat and tears up the ladder while Satsuki was born into a rich and affluent family and was evidently given power and authority by default. Except that things didn't quite work out that way.

Ryuko was presented as the nobody with nothing to work with, but the reality is that she was given every advantage possible to succeed, from having the scissor blade to fight with, to being given Senketsu and the opportunity to utilize its power, to literally being born as a life fiber being. She was the true heir to Ragyo's power, she just didn't know it yet. On the other hand, Satsuki was the failed child. She had no additional power of her own, she was essentially cast off by her remaining family, possibly abused the entire time. She was from a rich family yes, but as the narrative has demonstrated that actually meant very little in the context of what Ragyo and the life fibers were trying to do and what Satsuki was capable of.

It's not known how much power over Honnouji Academy she started with, but as the events of the show and flashbacks have shown, she had to build most of her power and influence from the ground up, imposing her own will without any of the natural advantages Ryuko or her mother have. And in the end she became the de facto ruler of Japan's school system and used her influence to fight an oppressive and powerful enemy far beyond herself. The end of this episode brings it home, as you now have a super-powered perfect life fiber being wearing Junketsu being opposed by a relatively normal human who can only rely on Senketsu's power to resist.

My point is, Ryuko is a stubborn idiot who refuses to learn from her mistakes and constantly makes the wrong decision, but that's perfectly okay with me. She was never presented at any point as a model of competency and her character does a much greater service to the greater narrative in her current form. That matters a lot more to me than any internal issues with the way her character was written, and there are a few as many in this thread have been quick to point out.

Ryuko might be a life fiber monster, but Satsuki is a resolve monster. She has been working toward her goal since she was 5-year-old (5-year-old!). The flashbacks show that she had already reached maturity in the kindergarten, and her personality apparently hasn't moved by an inch since then. Aside from the scenes with her butler, which show her nicer side, the only time she has ever seemed psychologically vulnerable is in episode 16. And despite all she has endured in the series, her resolve is intact.

She has withstood the pain of wearing Junketsu,
has been molested by her mother,
has witnessed the failure of the plan she had been working on since she was 5-year-old,
has been subsequently beaten within an inch of her life by her mother,
survived the explosion she triggered,
has been held captive for a month in an rather uncomfortable posture (with some more molestation / humiliation by her mother)

... yet none of this seems to have put a dent in her resolve. She just calmly sharpened her toenails while waiting for the arrival of her Elite Four (all according to keikaku).

And seeing how she was kicking ass during her escape after having been hanged by her arms during a month... Seriously, the shocking reveal of episode 19 was not that Ryuko is full of life fibers, but that Satsuki isn't!

wsippel

Banned
It's been a few day, but I really don't feel like watching the latest episode. So weird. I love the show, it was really inspiring and all, but I think it already culminated and reached a point where it can only go downhill - I believe whatever happens beyond episode 19 will only make me angry. It's like "yep, it's been an awesome ride, but I'm good".

Gestahl

I stopped watching 6 or 7 episodes ago and apparently Ryuko is still shit and everything got even more rapey for some reason? Maybe I should rethink what I use that free Crunchyroll month on

DarkKyo

Ryuko why you gotta be like dat

I'm in the minority here I guess, I still think Ryuko is the best character.

I feel this way too.. or one of the best characters.
I like the fact that she can't get her shit together and is an abominable alien hybrid monster spawned by super science.

Spoiler SNAP!!

Well put and I agree.
Satsuki has been shown to go through some true work to get where she is where as Ry-emo has just been wild dogging it up. :/

Aside from the scenes with her butler, which show her nicer side

All her interactions with the E4 have showed different sides to her and for the most part they seemed nice. I mean, she has complete trust in them and they have complete faith/ trust in her ... you don't get that from being some cruel dick to people and I feel like that's her "thing". She can bring out the best in those around her.

And lets be real ... NO ONE in the show has changed from when they were a kid. The E4 just grew into more structured versions of who they were with a much tighter grasp their "resolve" (We keep tossing this word around so much it feels like it's losing it's meaning. It just means "firm determination to do something". Don't see how someone can be a "resolve monster") . Ryuuko was just an angry wild dog back then and she's still that way now for the most part.

Thinking about it Souichiro is a pretty poor father and Nudist Beach is pretty bad at their job. Souichiro told Satsuki when she was little to work toward beating her mom and what stakes were on the line. So basically she had no choice but to work for it her whole life, or else everyone is doomed. Ryuko on the other hand didn't even have an idea of what Revocs was. Sure you want to keep the hybrid away from the enemy, but you would think a man who created an organization to oppose them would at the very least tell her, you should at least train your body. Satsuki and her whole school had years of experience and the Devas also were in the know, while Ryuko had to start from 0 at the start of the show. When it comes to Nudist Beach they were associated with Isshin, so you would expect them to make more efforts with Ryuko, especially since Aikuro knew she existed from the beginning (even if he didn't know she was a hybrid).

It would be hard for Ryuko to work toward anything like Satsuki if no one gave her a clue of what the hell is going on. If Ryuko was told at a very young developing age like Satsuki, "You better get something put together or else humanity is doomed", she would probably get more in gear from the start.

Thinking about it Souichiro is a pretty poor father and Nudist Beach is pretty bad at their job. Souichiro told Satsuki when she was little to work toward beating her mom and what stakes were on the line. So basically she had no choice but to work for it her whole life, or else everyone is doomed. Ryuko on the other hand didn't even have an idea of what Revocs was. Sure you want to keep the hybrid away from the enemy, but you would think a man who created an organization to oppose them would at the very least tell her, you should at least train your body. Satsuki and her whole school had years of experience and the Devas also were in the know, while Ryuko had to start from 0 at the start of the show. When it comes to Nudist Beach they were associated with Isshin, so you would expect them to make more efforts with Ryuko, especially since Aikuro knew she existed from the beginning (even if he didn't know she was a hybrid).

It would be hard for Ryuko to work toward anything like Satsuki if no one gave her a clue of what the hell is going on. If Ryuko was told at a very young developing age like Satsuki, "You better get something put together or else humanity is doomed", she would probably get more in gear from the start.

That's the whole point though. You want that contrast between Ryuko and Satsuki.

RoyalFool

Banned
Just rewatched the last episode, the music is so awesome when used in the context of the show, which is odd considering the OST when listened to in isolation is one of the worst.

My prediction for the next episode
2nd daughter can unlock the 2nd eye!

Ryuko losing her way is annoying, but if you were not team Satsuki from the start it's your own fault ;)

That's the whole point though. You want that contrast between Ryuko and Satsuki.

Yea I know that they are suppose to juxtapose each other. I just like randomly pointing out problems such as, "IF YOU WERE PLAYING TO WIN WHY DIDN'T YOU DO THIS!?!?". But everyone knows not everything needs to be practical or sound to make something enjoyable.

All her interactions with the E4 have showed different sides to her and for the most part they seemed nice. I mean, she has complete trust in them and they have complete faith/ trust in her ... you don't get that from being some cruel dick to people and I feel like that's her "thing". She can bring out the best in those around her.
You're right about that. Maybe "nicer" wasn't the word I was looking for. But don't you think she somehow seems... "softer", or more relaxed, when she's alone with her butler?

And lets be real ... NO ONE in the show has changed from when they were a kid.
Fair point, no one has changed much.

The E4 just grew into more structured versions of who they were with a much tighter grasp their "resolve" (We keep tossing this word around so much it feels like it's losing it's meaning. It just means "firm determination to do something". Don't see how someone can be a "resolve monster") .
But the thing is that Satsuki seems (to me at least) to have been completely structured as far as the flashbacks go.
As for the "resolve monster part", I was referring to the fact that her determination is not just firm, but absolute. You never see her doubt, temporarily lose hope, or wonder if she's doing the right thing, no matter what horrible things happen to her. That's why I call her a "resolve monster", because her determination is seemingly inalterable in the same way that "life fiber monsters" seem indestructible.

Ryuuko was just an angry wild dog back then and she's still that way now for the most part.
Fair point again. Well, I guess character development is not where this show excels.

Edit: still, one cannot deny that she was on the right track before Ragyo literally played with her heart. When she encountered Nui during the "Great Culture & Sports Festival", she didn't get consumed by her rage like the first time they fought, she took a deep breath and regained her composure, to the point of reaching a new level of synchronisation with Senketsu. By this show's standards regarding character development, this is a huge progress.

Satsuki is definitely a more efficient protagonist (she sure does a better job at moving the plot forward than Ryuuko), but that doesn't necessarily make her a more interesting character in my eyes. What's more interesting, a character who loses his/her way all the time, or one who never does? I think it's a matter of personal preference. I admit I have a soft point for characters who are doomed to slip on every banana peel that fate has laid on their path (#TeamIkariShinji).

Don't get me wrong though, I like Satsuki a lot too.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The joke where the Elite Four are freaking out about Satsuki on the monitors and Gama hits the ceiling with his head and Blind Guy is just like "Dudes, what the hell is going on" was great.

Nui playacting being dead was also great.

Ryuko being a headstrong idiot was not great. Understandable in context but the whole show has just been nothing but her getting shat on or pulling deus ex powers out of her... senketsu.

And then Gama's big ass fingers are covering all of Satsuki's nekkid parts lol

I knew Nui was playing dead at that part, I can't wait until she actually does die and I hope it's painful.
Yes, I hate her that much

Dresden

Tsumugu got his introduction in the best episode of the show, then basically lost all relevance after that. Felt like they were going somewhere with him again with the whole dead sister backstory, but that got shelved immediately, so lol.

DarkKyo

Tsumugu got his introduction in the best episode of the show, then basically lost all relevance after that. Felt like they were going somewhere with him again with the whole dead sister backstory, but that got shelved immediately, so lol.

Now he's just some naked dude who stands next to the other naked dude.

Soriku

gRUVKaL.gif

tumblr_my5edh4VHz1r9p64ao1_500.gif

KiUksCP.png

Trigger pls

LOL. I'm laughing way too hard at this.

Honestly I never cared much for him. Outside of his "I'm going to tell you two things" shtick, there's not much to his character. Though I'd say Nudist Beach as a whole is rather undeveloped.

LordCanti

I'm still holding out hope that we'll find out that him and his sister were Kiryuins, but who knows. His red stripe of hair and ability to sorta hear Senketsu are probably red herrings.

The anti-life-fiber needles just bouncing off now is pretty damn lame. They sure worked on Senketsu.... I guess it's just more convenient if Nudist Beach is completely powerless and ineffectual.

Evilisk

Yeah I think this is what bothers me the most. As of now there were only two things that his character has been used for; 1) to act as a failsafe for Ryuuko growing too strong (and we all know how that panned out) and 2) for the Kinue backstory (and since they never expanded on it the whole thing just ended up being a LIFE FIBERS ARE EVIL story).

I think at least if Tsumugu had actually ended up being Ryuuko's uncle at least he might have had some other point to being in the show still, and it would have brought an interesting dynamic between him and Ryuuko (like last episode they could have played up
Ryuuko being implanted with false memories
vs. Tsumugu knowing what her real mother would have been like*) and it wouldn't have seemed as pathetic when he then failed to do that.

Honestly, he's such a waste of a character now.

*I know this couldn't work with the way the show has been written now, it would require Kinue being rewritten as actually relevant to the plot, it's just an idea

DominoKid

Tsumugu was only going to put in so much work. He fights with a nail gun against people that cant die and they have superswords.

At least he's still alive this far in the story. That's a victory in itself.

DarkKyo

Ryuuko being implanted with false memories

Is it confirmed she was "implanted with false memories"? I took it as Junketsu showing her what life would have been like had she been raised by her mother instead of being dropped into the lonely and sad existence she has spent her life fighting against and that(along with Junketsu's generally overwhelming power/presence) is what converted her. To me it felt like she was simultaneously captured and convinced while in a blank and angry state. I feel like that's far more interesting than a simple brainwashing, anyways.

Evilisk

Is it confirmed she was "implanted with false memories"? I took it as Junketsu showing her what life would have been like had she been raised by her mother instead of being dropped into the lonely and sad existence she has spent her life fighting against and that(along with Junketsu's generally overwhelming power/presence) is what converted her. To me it felt like she was simultaneously captured and convinced while in a blank and angry state. I feel like that's far more interesting than a simple brainwashing, anyways.

I don't know if it's confirmed. The segment wasn't very clear to me tbh and I'm just assuming that's what happened.

Pachinko

Well, looks as though this show is finally on the great wind down to conclusion. It's over in 24 episodes right ? That would mean the current conflict will likely end with episode 21, 22 will establish the final conflict and then we'll get a 2 part finale. Probably not much time for an epilogue though, maybe 3 minutes ?

Shot in the dark but here's a guess
Senketsu can talk because it has Kinue's consciousness. From the flashback, it was like she was unwound like the fiber puppets Ragyo and Nui were using to taunt everyone in 20. That's why it can talk while Junketsu has never displayed the ability so far. Ryuko is a hybrid that is more human than life fiber while Senketsu is a hybrid which is more fiber than human. Makes Tsumugu's story somewhat still relevant if this ends up happening, since he always though clothing was pure evil and still does even in episode 20.

Re: Ryuko's
Dream Sequence/Bonding With Junkestu/Whatever You Want To Call It

It's not Junkestu trying to show Ryuko's her life if Ragyo had been around or give her false memories, it's forcing Ragyo and himself into her (likely) hopes and dreams (direct love and affection from a parent, good student, becoming a beaming bride), ending with the "marriage" of Ryuko and Junketsu - at least, I'm assuming that's what her "groom" is supposed to represent, considering it's not a person and looks like a COVER/bunch of life fibers.

In my opinion.

Top Bottom