• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

pre-opening

hj990OC.gif

I don't normally nitpick anime I'm watching, unless it's abysmal, but I can't help but feel disappointed in the show now. Not enough to stop watching though. I feel as though they have too many moments of "hey that thing you knew about was a lie" or random plot turn. Whatever happened to showing Nui scared by Ryuko? It felt like that was a one time thing.
Although they did have her change her tone a little when Matoi stabbed her at the end of 21.

Also, Satsuki is goddamn Batman with her "prep time."

Hatty

I think people forget how bad the characterization in gurren lagann was
this show doesn't have as much flash so its more apparent

PK Gaming

I think people forget how bad the characterization in gurren lagann was
this show doesn't have as much flash so its more apparent

No way

You can't throw just GL under the bus in order to justify KLK's shitty characterization. It definitely wasn't perfect, but it was there. The main protagonist actually went through a meaningful character arc (rather then go through same cycle of angst ---> Mako love ---> Life Fiber bullshit repeat ad nauseum) and the pacing was phenomenal.

Hatty

No way

You can't throw just GL under the bus in order to justify KLK's shitty characterization. It definitely wasn't perfect, but it was there. The main protagonist actually went through a meaningful character arc (rather then go through same cycle of angst ---> Mako love ---> Life Fiber bullshit repeat ad nauseum) and the pacing was phenomenal.

Simon just became more GAR after his two episode sulkfest then turned into Kamina after the skip no other character advanced much and some became worse (looking at you Rossiu)

the pacing at the start was great but post time skip was worse than kill la kill somehow

Mononoke

Banned
So what do you guys expect from the ending at this point? I pretty much think they are past the point of making the plot meaningful. The groundwork hasn't been laid to really sell us on an emotional/complex plot. And I don't think they ever really built up the characters enough (they are paper thin), to make us really care about any kind of character driven end.

Really, the show is all flash/shlock, and that's one of the reasons so many love it. So I kind of just hope they double down at this point, and make the ending as absurd as possible. I mean, I feel like trying to shift gears in the final act won't feel right.

Jex

I am absolutely baffled at the criticisms this show gets here in this thread.

Its like I am reading posts from people who have never seen an anime before, never been to the movie theater, never read a book, and never watched tv.

If we ever got you people in a room and you had to write a sitcom for children on the disney channel, your show would get cancelled after the pilot because it sucks.

Do you have any specific criticisms of the critiques lodged against the series beyond fairly weak ad-hominems?

jman2050

Do you have any specific criticisms of the critiques lodged against the series beyond fairly weak ad-hominems?

ad hominems aren't cool, that said I'm not sure if various permutations of "I completely disagree with this" or "This is an issue but I don't care" or "Why does that even matter so much?" would provoke much meaningful discussion that doesn't just go around in circles like it always does.

But eh, some people are into that sort of thing, myself included at times.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I didn't feel like the stuff with Satsuki was pandering. This preopening definitely felt like it (maybe that was the point). I'm not taking a shot at anyone is thread (just to be clear), but if anyone found that to be hot, I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe there would be discussion to be had, if the narrative was a bit more sophisticated. It's not. Everything from the way it was shot, down to the music was gross.

Moving along, Satsuki remains the better protagonist.

Alright, finished watching Ep 21

Pretty weak episode imo. Satsuki and the elite four were good, Ryuko was lame, Mako was overplayed and Tsumugu terrible. What they've done to him is kinda sad. I did enjoy the coordinated attack with Satsuki and the E4 and the very last scene however.

PK Gaming

So what do you guys expect from the ending at this point? I pretty much think they are past the point of making the plot meaningful. The groundwork hasn't been laid to really sell us on an emotional/complex plot. And I don't think they ever really built up the characters enough (they are paper thin), to make us really care about any kind of character driven end.

Really, the show is all flash/shlock, and that's one of the reasons so many love it. So I kind of just hope they double down at this point, and make the ending as absurd as possible. I mean, I feel like trying to shift gears in the final act won't feel right.

I'm not expecting much, but there are a couple of thing i'd like to see:

-One of the main characters die. There are a lot of candidates but...

Wait a sec! I just got hit by an inspiration bomb... Dying itself is boring as shit. What we need is a heroic sacrifice. So... Gamagoori! He's been a thorn on my side since day one, and his death could totally make a callback to his flashback (where he'd die, but he wouldn't kneel)

-Re: Honey Cutie style ending between Mako & Ryuko

Pretty self explanatory.

-Nui getting killed in the worst way imaginable

Also self explanatory.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not taking a shot at anyone is thread (just to be clear), but if anyone found that to be hot, I don't know what to tell you.

Not aimed particularly at you, but this excuse for fanservice that I've seen people use to defend Kill la Kill over and over again is extremely ridiculous.

Oldschoolgamer

Not aimed particularly at you, but this excuse for fanservice that I've seen people use to defend Kill la Kill over and over again is extremely ridiculous.

I just don't want to come across as antagonistic for no reason. Don't take it as an excuse from me. lol. I probably could have worded it better tho.

Soma

So what do you guys expect from the ending at this point?
It's gonna end with a naked fist-fight with the entire world renouncing clothing altogether (because clothes are evil in this world because aliens) leading to a completely nudist utopia all over the globe.

I didn't feel like the stuff with Satsuki was pandering. This preopening definitely felt like it (maybe that was the point). I'm not taking a shot at anyone is thread (just to be clear), but if anyone found that to be hot, I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe there would be discussion to be had, if the narrative was a bit more sophisticated. It's not. Everything from the way it was shot, down to the music was gross.

Moving along, Satsuki remains the better protagonist.

Unlike the scenes where Satsuki was literally molested by Ragyo, this definitely felt like it was meant to be hot. Like everything in this show it was anything but, the intention was still there however. At least that's the impression I got.

Mononoke

Banned
I think the argument would be, it's not Ragyo doing this to her daughter, but the life fibers which have pretty much consumed her entire being. She's basically controlled by them and lost her huamnity. Life fibers crave human flesh and blood (because that is their host), and humans crave the life fiber because it makes them feel good. Same could be said with
Ryuuko kissing Nui, it wasn't Ryuuko kissing her, but Junketsu.
Yes, I think the moment was supposed to be sexual, because life fibers are supposed to be a sexual experience in itself (it's pleasure to the human, and why it's so easy to accept it as a host).

I don't really buy into that. Just how I could see someone making the argument. I've never really felt the fan service in this show was ever justified. But at the same time, entire plot/premise is so ridiculous when you think about it. This idea that, clothes are the enemy, and nudity is freedom. It kind of sets things up, so any kind of fan service is "justified" by the "themes" of the story. Or something. I don't think you are supposed to look at any of this deeper than it's supposed to be.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm a noob when it comes to Anime (as many of you know, sorry for always saying it). But I've always viewed Kill La Kill like I do b-movies or grindhouse stuff. It's supposed to be stupid and sleazy.

Jex

ad hominems aren't cool, that said I'm not sure if various permutations of "I completely disagree with this" or "This is an issue but I don't care" or "Why does that even matter so much?" would provoke much meaningful discussion that doesn't just go around in circles like it always does.

But eh, some people are into that sort of thing, myself included at times.

That's totally fair and understandable I just feel that, if ad hominem arguments are going to be used in this thread they have to be a lot meaner and nastier! "You opinion is wrong because you smell like a squid that's been dead 6 months!" etc.

RE: Fanservice, considering I'm one of the many people who brought it up, questioning the motivations behind the fanservice seems a little silly to me. If we just read the text as it appears before us then the "shameless" fanservice appears for what it is - your normal anime pandering. If we want to move beyond the text and look at the creators body of work you'll see that, well, he's had fanservice throughout all his works and so this show is hardly any different in that regard.

Oldschoolgamer

The thing is though, while yes, he uses fanservice a lot throughout all of his work, context is everything. None of his other anime dealt with the themes present, to the extent that they are, as KLK. I'm a fan of his work, but I wouldn't give any other director a pass, just because they used a particular piece of imagery before, if I felt like it didn't work in a particular scene.

PK Gaming

RE: Fanservice, considering I'm one of the many people who brought it up, questioning the motivations behind the fanservice seems a little silly to me. If we just read the text as it appears before us then the "shameless" fanservice appears for what it is - your normal anime pandering. If we want to move beyond the text and look at the creators body of work you'll see that, well, he's had fanservice throughout all his works and so this show is hardly any different in that regard.

You just reminded me about those massive dissertations on tumblr about how the fanservice in KLK was "ingenious" and "subversive"

Haha

Beats

Maybe I missed it, but did
senketsu absorbing life fibers in the first couple of episodes ever do anything significant?

A-V-B

I haven't seen anyone defend the opening to 21. Not only is it gratuitous, it seems sort of out of left field. As in Nui wouldn't do it like this, it's not in her character. Her obsession's with clothes. I know she was "sewing the fibers into Ryuuko's skin" or whatever, but it seemed unnecessary. Whatever "drinking the blue breast milk of the Archons" shit they were going for (and did well) in the past 6 episodes fell apart here.

Mononoke

Banned
ryuko is so bad even her bff is better off with someone else

Lol. You know it's bad, when you are going into the end not caring for the protagonist. What are the odds they kill Satsuki and have Ryuuko live by the end of all of this. The reactions, would be funny.

A-V-B

Lol. You know it's bad, when you are going into the end not caring for the protagonist. What are the odds they kill Satsuki and have Ryuuko live by the end of all of this. The reactions, would be funny.

Nah, it's gonna be Ryuuko. End of this episode set it up. She's going to replace her skin with Senketsu, then when the life fibers are destroyed, she dies.

Mononoke

Banned
No one is ever going to die.

Oh I agree, I don't think they will kill anyone at this point. But lol, imagine if they did kill off one of the few people we liked (in the very last episode), and left us with Ryuuko, a protagonist most don't feel all that great about.

Wow, the floodgates really opened here. I figured after this episode there'd be more RyuukoxNui fan art.

I too was expecting RyuukoxNui fanart.
But I am completely OK with Satsuki/Mako fanart too..
Mako might be more shippable than Ryuuko at this point.

Blader

Other than the uncomfortable rape metaphor, pretty good ep. Really enjoying how this show is wrapping up, especially considering middling the middle section of the series was.

Top Bottom