• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Scum

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Trigger didn't screw up afterall...
Stabbing with the Scissor Sword does bugger all. Cutting is where it's at. So Nui was no hack.

DarkKyo

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like Trigger didn't screw up afterall...
Stabbing with the Scissor Sword does bugger all. Cutting is where it's at. So Nui was no hack.

I guess her
eye is gone forever because it was split by the scissor sword and could not reform itself. So if any part of her is merely stabbed but not disconnected it can mend because it's still connected to itself. But if a single organ/appendage is severed from itself then it can not heal. I have to say that seeing Nui suffer like this is almost more satisfying than her inevitable death will be in the next couple of episodes. But it will still be damn satisfying!

zeemumu

I guess her
eye is gone forever because it was split by the scissor sword and could not reform itself. So if any part of her is merely stabbed but not disconnected it can mend because it's still connected to itself. But if a single organ/appendage is severed from itself then it can not heal. I have to say that seeing Nui suffer like this is almost more satisfying than her inevitable death will be in the next couple of episodes. But it will still be damn satisfying!

It's kind of weird seeing her lose her cool since she's only done that twice
once when she lost her eye and in this episode.

sonicmj1

The production quality went up 10 fold in this episode, holyyyyy so hype.

Were we watching the same episode?

I don't have a problem with it here, since they only used as much as they needed to and made sure to deliver when the action hit, but this episode was incredibly cheap. There were tons of long cuts of still frames with nothing but lip flaps animated. In the most egregious example, the scene where Ryuuko confronts Satsuki on the ship is a 28 second glacial pan over a six-frame loop of flapping hair and shimmering water, zoomed out far enough that we can't even see their mouths.

This is probably the last episode where they have a lot of room to cut corners, but they've shown that they can deliver when it counts. I'm really looking forward to the finale.

I forgot it before, but I'm glad to see Satsuki acknowledge what a terrible person she was through the first half of the series.

duckroll

Episode 22 was decently enjoyable. Not much animation, not much happening, but it flowed pretty well. Really nice layouts in the sunset scene. Significantly better than the last two episodes at least. That's not saying much though.

Sadist

Awesome episode. Loved everything. Also, prepare yourself Nui. You be getting fucked

I need a deal with it avatar from Kill la Kill 8)

DarkKyo

Episode 22 was decently enjoyable. Not much animation, not much happening, but it flowed pretty well. Really nice layouts in the sunset scene. Significantly better than the last two episodes at least. That's not saying much though.

I think more happened in 22 than 21 so that may be where it was better. The art was better too, or at least it was noticeably better in my opinion.

DarkKyo

It's kind of weird seeing her lose her cool since she's only done that twice
once when she lost her eye and in this episode.

It's great when she's made a fool and loses her composure. It happened a couple more times, I think. I remember her
getting pretty worried when Ryuko was overpowering her at the ceremony where Satsuki got her butt kicked by her mother
.. and again when
Satsuki questioned her(Nui) about why she's not letting evil/Junketsu Ryuko have the other half of the scissor sword

Edit: Damnit, didn't mean to double post....

Kieli

I dropped this say around episode 12 because I was just not enjoying it.

You guys are making it sound like it's the second coming of Jesus.

Does it get better than where I left off?

Astarte

I dropped this say around episode 12 because I was just not enjoying it.

You guys are making it sound like it's the second coming of Jesus.

Does it get better than where I left off?

If you're not enjoying it at the halfway mark, then it's not the show for you.

KLK 22

C1UC3Lj.gif

During this last episodes every time he appears pushing the missiles button it reminds me of Attenborough from Gurren Lagann
attenboroughdj1.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
Eeh, I dunno, there's a stark contrast between the first half and the second half in terms of pacing.

For sure. Like even if you really enjoy both halves of this show, there is no denying that the contrast between the first and second half is substantial enough. The show started off more comical. That's not to say the show still doesn't carry though the same over the top/absurd style. It has. But IMO it's understandable if one likes the first half and not the second.

Jex

Man duckroll why you gotta be such a buzz kill. Jeeze.

I agree with you though. Not much really happened in the grand scheme of thing and there were numerous corners cut (as one would expect when not much is happening) but it was actually composed well. So that's a thing.

Superflat

I thought it was a really nice episode. The beginning was the weakest part, considering they ended last episode implying an exciting fight. Instead we get
another convenient "because (plot) reasons" so-so victory, and having Nudist Beach doing the bare minimum to stay relevant. Nui's meltdown
was pretty awesome though, should have happened ages ago.

Everything after that bit was pretty great. A really nice build-up to the final(?) showdown. Ending was such blatant
mako-fangasm service
but I was still legit hyped as hell.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

They was plenty happening this episode, in fact, Kill la Kill could have used more episodes where this much happened.

duckroll

They was plenty happening this episode, in fact, Kill la Kill could have used more episodes where this much happened.

Plenty is a stretch. Nothing happens on the show in general, so that's not really much of a bar either. It's a show which wastes a lot of time doing mostly inconsequential stuff while trying to get the audience excited about a whole lot of nothing at all. I think on a whole the series could do with a lot less episodes. They clearly didn't have enough worthwhile ideas for 24.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Plenty is a stretch. Nothing happens on the show in general, so that's not really much of a bar either. It's a show which wastes a lot of time doing mostly inconsequential stuff while trying to get the audience excited about a whole lot of nothing at all. I think on a whole the series could do with a lot less episodes. They clearly didn't have enough worthwhile ideas for 24.

No, no, this time plenty happened this episode and indeed it is one of the most poignant and important to the series. This was an episode that flatoutneeded to happen before the finale and I am glad it occurred with as much aplomb as it did.

duckroll

No, no, this time plenty happened this episode and indeed it is one of the most poigant and important to the series.

Well, I sure disagree. It's just another episode where the heroes survive a battle, while causing mild annoyance to a villain, power up a little bit, state their opinions again, nod at each other, and then proceed to the next battle. Same shit different episode number.

Superflat

I would say at 14-ish episodes with some good editing, it could be an amazing show.

Episode 22 does have more happening in it, in that it consists of stuff that I've wanted this whole time-- actual significant progress. This is also the first episode in a long-ass time that they show Ryuko to have real characterization.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I sure disagree. It's just another episode where the heroes survive a battle, while causing mild annoyance to a villain, power up a little bit, state their opinions again, nod at each other, and then proceed to the next battle. Same shit different episode number.

Isn't it about the way they package it though? A lot shows follow this formula (where shit really doesn't happen, and writing beats are recycled over and over). I don't think this show ever sold itself on being anything more than stupid shlock.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I can see that you disagree and I am going to say you are wrong, flat out wrong about this episode.
We finally get to see Nei get the first part of her comeuppance, yea, yea, she isn't dead yet but permanent damage was done and in tandem this was about Ryuko finally completing the Hero's Journey, such as it was, and demonstrating that she is finally past some of the largest portions of her angst as she finally defines herself not by what she is or generic revenge angst but finally as a hero who has people who love and support her. Parallel to that, and the biggest reason I call bullshit on or critiques here, is we see Satsuki finally seek redemption and reconciliation to the woman, to the sister she had used and abused. I am so glad this series did not forget that Satsuki was the main antagonist, acting like Mother's Little Fascist and selling every and any principle she had in order to destroy her. I think my favorite character bit in this entire episode is at the end of her apology Satsuki bowed to her sister, just a small but incredible symbolic gesture showing Satsuki isn't playing a mind game here, she is being earnest and the one who looked down upon all in arrogance now bows her head in true humility. I could go on as I haven;t even gotten to the likes of the elite four acting as true companions and Mako donning her battle suit in order to help, but I think my point is made. Plenty happened this episode, it just wasn't action. This was one of the strongest chracter driven episodes Kill la Kill, may even be the best one, and I dearly wish we had gotten more like it.

duckroll

I don't really care if you think I'm "right" or "wrong" really. I just post my thoughts on the show and move on. I'm not really interested in having a debate about how "much" happened in an episode for a show which I feel doesn't have characters compelling enough for me to bother thinking much about. Sounds like you're more invested in the story and characters than I am. That's cool. I just look at that entire post and all I can do is shrug. Sorry.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't really care if you think I'm "right" or "wrong" really. I just post my thoughts on the show and move on. I'm not really interested in having a debate about how "much" happened in an episode for a show which I feel doesn't have characters compelling enough for me to bother thinking much about. Sounds like you're more invested in the story and characters than I am. That's cool. I just look at that entire post and all I can do is shrug. Sorry.

Wow, okay, was not expecting that answer. Have fun with the rest of your day.

duckroll

Wow, okay, was not expecting that answer. Have fun with the rest of your day.

Well, now you know how much I care about the story and characters on the show! I'm not even dismissing your opinion, just that I read point after point and just realized that I literally don't care about pretty much any of that nor did I find it consequential to why I watch the show at this point. So there was nothing to discuss on my end.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, now you know how much I care about the story and characters on the show! I'm not even dismissing your opinion, just that I read point after point and just realized that I literally don't care about pretty much any of that nor did I find it consequential to why I watch the show at this point. So there was nothing to discuss on my end.

Yea, wow, I question why you watch this show at all, but how you spend your time is your business.

Mononoke

Banned

I'm with you. Story and character is extremely important to me. But aren't there certain shows that exist, solely for baseline entertainment? It would be like complaining a b-movie doesn't have a strong enough plot/characters.

EDIT: nevermind.

I don't hate the show, I don't love the show, it's just another cartoon with entertaining elements and good designs which dropped the ball on the story and pacing. Just popcorn entertainment that could have been much better if it were better made in the end.

Out of interest are there any recent anime you'd describe as "amazing"?

duckroll

Yea, wow, I question why you watch this show at all, but how you spend your time is your business.

Revocs is cool, Ragyo is cool, sometimes the action is cool, Mako is very entertaining. I don't care about any of the underlying motivations or development of the characters because the show has completely dropped the ball on them. I would have dropped the show after 15 if the entertainment factor didn't massively pick up from 16 onwards. The directing was smarter, tighter, and the superficial elements made it enjoyable enough to watch.

I don't hate the show, I don't love the show, it's just another cartoon with entertaining elements and good designs which dropped the ball on the story and pacing. Just popcorn entertainment that could have been much better if it were better made in the end.

Out of interest are there any recent anime you'd describe as "amazing"?

The best show I'm watching this season is Silver Spoon. It's a perfect marriage of a setting which has a unique personal perspective from the author and characters who are relatable and also likable.

Astarte

Eeh, I dunno, there's a stark contrast between the first half and the second half in terms of pacing.

For sure. Like even if you really enjoy both halves of this show, there is no denying that the contrast between the first and second half is substantial enough. The show started off more comical. That's not to say the show still doesn't carry though the same over the top/absurd style. It has. But IMO it's understandable if one likes the first half and not the second.

I'm sure there's a plethora of reasons that he doesn't really enjoy the show, but if it has to do with anything that doesn't have to do with action and scale then continuing on won't improve his opinion.

I second this sentiment completely. Just watched it now. Episode was pretty crap except for Mako at the very end. Skipped through all the middle talking bits as they aren't very interesting at all. I guess the characterisation changes are supposed to make us more enamoured to them but for me it just does the opposite. Don't think I really care about our flash-step faster than light, DBZ/Bleach flying characters.

Oh hey, this passed the AOT thread. Does that make it the champion in standalone anime threads?

Space Dandy may pass it though but may not since discussion is spread all over the place.

Top Bottom