• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Superflat

I second this sentiment completely. Just watched it now. Episode was pretty crap except for Mako at the very end. Skipped through all the middle talking bits as they aren't very interesting at all. I guess the characterisation changes are supposed to make us more enamoured to them but for me it just does the opposite. Don't think I really care about our flash-step faster than light, DBZ/Bleach flying characters.

errrrrrrrrrrrr...I don't understand this line of thinking.

Jex

errrrrrrrrrrrr...I don't understand this line of thinking.

I think I can understand that position. If you don't care about the characters and their plight because you didn't care for the writing (which I certainly didn't) then why would you care when everyone nods and talks to each other? It's not particularly interesting.

Clov

I don't hate the show, I don't love the show, it's just another cartoon with entertaining elements and good designs which dropped the ball on the story and pacing. Just popcorn entertainment that could have been much better if it were better made in the end.

This pretty much sums up my feelings too. I'm enjoying the show, but I can't say I'm particularly invested in it. A lot of that for me really stems from both its formulaic nature, and how static of a character Ryuko is. Mind you, I do like the cast (even Nui!). They're a lot of fun! The whole show is fun, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not... special, I guess.

Maybe my expectations were just too high? I liked Gurren Lagann more.

Mononoke

Banned
Revocs is cool, Ragyo is cool, sometimes the action is cool, Mako is very entertaining. I don't care about any of the underlying motivations or development of the characters because the show has completely dropped the ball on them. I would have dropped the show after 15 if the entertainment factor didn't massively pick up from 16 onwards. The directing was smarter, tighter, and the superficial elements made it enjoyable enough to watch.

I don't hate the show, I don't love the show, it's just another cartoon with entertaining elements and good designs which dropped the ball on the story and pacing. Just popcorn entertainment that could have been much better if it were better made in the end.

The best show I'm watching this season is Silver Spoon. It's a perfect marriage of a setting which has a unique personal perspective from the author and characters who are relatable and also likable.

Going to start Silver Spoon today then.

Tuck

Meh, I always expected the show to be popcorn fun, and it delivered in that. Felt the same about most of gurren lagann.

Superflat

I think I can understand that position. If you don't care about the characters and their plight because you didn't care for the writing (which I certainly didn't) then why would you care when everyone nods and talks to each other? It's not particularly interesting.

I just don't agree that not caring about characters means someone should stop paying attention to what's happening and then criticize what they apparently skipped :U

Meh, I always expected the show to be popcorn fun, and it delivered in that. Felt the same about most of gurren lagann.

For me, popcorn fun is rarely worth a full 24-26 episode season. Gurren Lagann had a lot more story to tell with a larger cast so they were able to fill it out pretty nicely. Kill la Kill feels like the first half of TTGL stretched out to 24 episodes.

jman2050

Because as a matter of course unless you're stopping for good or being intentionally disingenuous you should watch a given episode to completion?

NEO0MJ

Hahahaha, that's so adorable!

If you like that one here it is as an av.

13154929174_46cf44ae97_o.png

A-V-B

I just don't agree that not caring about characters means someone should stop paying attention to what's happening and then criticize what they apparently skipped :U

For me, popcorn fun is rarely worth a full 24-26 episode season. Gurren Lagann had a lot more story to tell with a larger cast so they were able to fill it out pretty nicely. Kill la Kill feels like the first half of TTGL stretched out to 24 episodes.

If KLK has a problem, is that it took 2/3rds of the story to get to the main conflict. That's a damn long time.

When I say I "skipped through" the middle doesn't mean I just jumped over the entire part, I just heavily condensed it by jumping over animation, waiting and pointless dialog. I don't need to watch two characters I don't particularly care about stare at each other. "I'm gonna punch you, I really am!!!!! Oops what are you doing here no1, what are you doing there no2, what are you doing there no3, what are doing there no4, more cheesy dialog etc.

Eusis

This pretty much sums up my feelings too. I'm enjoying the show, but I can't say I'm particularly invested in it. A lot of that for me really stems from both its formulaic nature, and how static of a character Ryuko is. Mind you, I do like the cast (even Nui!). They're a lot of fun! The whole show is fun, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not... special, I guess.

Maybe my expectations were just too high? I liked Gurren Lagann more.
Treating it as just entertainment it's more than fine for me, but then I haven't seriously watched an anime outside of some movies in quite awhile anyway, though yeah I don't think this can top Gurren Lagann.

And I think Nui's just one of those characters you can love to hate, though I guess at this point a lot of people just plain hate her. I doubt anyone doesn't want to see her comeuppance at any rate, whether it's to get her out of the way or to see how completely batshit she can get.

Somnid

Maybe they'll just re-edit into 2 movies. Personally I think the show is like the Twitch Pokemon of anime. The fun is figuring out where it's going and the community reaction. I've seen far better series in terms of writing and pacing but I can't say that made them more fun to watch. I think that's probably why I like the Trigger team, they get it.

Jex

Because as a matter of course unless you're stopping for good or being intentionally disingenuous you should watch a given episode to completion?

You've never used the fast forward button or skipped throw a slow scene in anything ever? Even if you haven't, that's hardly an uncommon action!

Mononoke

Banned
Treating it as just entertainment it's more than fine for me, but then I haven't seriously watched an anime outside of some movies in quite awhile anyway, though yeah I don't think this can top Gurren Lagann.

And I think Nui's just one of those characters you can love to hate, though I guess at this point a lot of people just plain hate her. I doubt anyone doesn't want to see her comeuppance at any rate, whether it's to get her out of the way or to see how completely batshit she can get.

I'm kind of curious, but does anyone take this show more seriously than entertainment? I don't mean to be condescending. If someone does, let me know. I really don't mean offense (and I have an open mind). It's just, the show really hasn't ever showed us any intention of having a deep story, with fleshed out characters. It hasn't taken the time to set up long arcs, with thematic pay off. It's all about absurd moments/beats. The life fiber plot I guess is something, but even the idea that it pushes forward is so over the top/funny, that you can't really take it seriously.

To be clear, I see nothing wrong with seeing this as "art" either. I'm not saying the animation isn't awesome. Or that making shlock like this, doesn't take a certain skill or talent. In fact, I think with shows like this, it 100% depends on the way they tell it. I'm happy with the show it is, and enjoy it for what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. It's hard for me to be let down that the show hasn't been anything deeper. Do I think it could have been a better show if it did these things? Absolutely. But I'm not bothered that it didn't.

Veelk

Banned
I'm kind of curious, but does anyone take this show more seriously than entertainment? I don't mean to be condescending. If someone does, let me know. I really don't mean offense (and I have an open mind). It's just, the show really hasn't ever showed us any intention of having a deep story, with fleshed out characters. It hasn't taken the time to set up long arcs, with thematic pay off. It's all about absurd moments/beats. The life fiber plot I guess is something, but even the idea that it pushes forward is so over the top/funny, that you can't really take it seriously.

To be clear, I see nothing wrong with seeing this as "art" either. I'm not saying the animation isn't awesome. Or that making shlock like this, doesn't take a certain skill or talent. In fact, I think with shows like this, it 100% depends on the way they tell it. I'm happy with the show it is, and enjoy it for what it is. Nothing more, nothing less. It's hard for me to be let down that the show hasn't been anything deeper. Do I think it could have been a better show if it did these things? Absolutely. But I'm not bothered that it didn't.

I think the Ragyou molestation scenes may have had something to them, but even if they were intended to be some kind of subversion of fanservice (which I wrote about here), ultimately, I think the show is just another solid effort in the same vain TTGL was. You know me from my Legend of Korra rants. For the most part, my enjoyment of shows doesn't come from how they affect me emotionally. I go in for the style, the structure, the mythos. I can enjoy shows on an emotional level, obviously, but they rarely ever get more than a shallow entertainment out of me for that and I would never recommend a show just based on how much I personally like it as oppose to how well written it is. TTGL was the sole exception to that. There's just so much passion bursting through the show that, like it's motto 'Do the impossible' says, it somehow manages to shatter my usual standards and just get me caught up in the hotbloodedness so much that I do recommend it as legitimately good. I guess I can recommend it on technical aspects like the animation and visuals and such, but at the end of the day, I love it because it's infectiously passionate, and I say that without being able to recommend anything about it's story. Because TTGL's story was pure nonsense. In fact, many criticisms I see levied here at KLK are things that TTGL went through itself.

So I view KLK in the same vein I view TTGL. It's fucking stupid, but it's hard for me not to get caught up in Mako's bizarre rants and Ryuko's passion and Satsuki's badassery through the series. In 99% of works, I would usually say that if a show isn't intelligent, then it's bad. Which, I stress, has no bearing on how much a person should enjoy it. I enjoy some stuff that I would call wretched, and I'm not ashamed of it. But Trigger produces the 1% that is dumb, but doesn't give a shit and is good anyway. Because they like to do the impossible and be incomprehensible.

Mononoke

Banned
I think the Ragyou molestation scenes may have had something to them, but even if they were intended to be some kind of subversion of fanservice (which I wrote about here), ultimately, I think the show is just another solid effort in the same vain TTGL was. You know me from my Legend of Korra rants. For the most part, my enjoyment of shows doesn't come from how they affect me emotionally. I go in for the style, the structure, the mythos. I can enjoy shows on an emotional level, obviously, but they rarely ever get more than a shallow entertainment out of me for that and I would never recommend a show just based on how much I personally like it as oppose to how well written it is. TTGL was the sole exception to that. There's just so much passion bursting through the show that, like it's motto 'Do the impossible' says, it somehow manages to shatter my usual standards and just get me caught up in the hotbloodedness so much that I do recommend it as legitimately good. I guess I can recommend it on technical aspects like the animation and visuals and such, but at the end of the day, I love it because it's infectiously passionate, and I say that without being able to recommend anything about it's story. Because TTGL's story was pure nonsense. In fact, many criticisms I see levied here at KLK are things that TTGL went through itself.

So I view KLK in the same vein I view TTGL. It's fucking stupid, but it's hard for me not to get caught up in Mako's bizarre rants and Ryuko's passion and Satsuki's badassery through the series. In 99% of works, I would usually say that if a show isn't intelligent, then it's bad. Which, I stress, has no bearing on how much a person should enjoy it. I enjoy some stuff that I would call wretched, and I'm not ashamed of it. But Trigger produces the 1% that is dumb, but doesn't give a shit and is good anyway. Because they like to do the impossible and be incomprehensible.

Great post man. Pretty much sums up the elements that I like about the show as well.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
If I haven't seen that episode/movie before, no, never.

annnnnnd this

jman2050

The best show I'm watching this season is Silver Spoon. It's a perfect marriage of a setting which has a unique personal perspective from the author and characters who are relatable and also likable.

You know, I wonder how being a completely original series (or I guess to be more accurate, whether a given series is our first exposure of the material) colors our perception of things. Like, I love Silver Spoon. It's a great adaptation and the story is great and the characters are great but at the same time, I don't really enjoy it like I do KLK, and I suspect it's because as good as that anime has been so far, I can't shake the "been there done that" feeling I get. Same thing happens with other adaptations of stuff I've already read.

I guess when I think about it that's an unfair way of looking at things but eh, seems like an unavoidable consequence of adapting existing material.

Zaptruder

Banned
The pay off in this Anime is so sweet. I don't think I've seen another anime (or piece of media) that does it better to be quite honest.

Zaptruder

Banned
What pay off are you referring to?

The good feels in this episode :p All the various character arcs pulling together as the show poises for the final thrust.

Tell me more about this, in what KLK delivered and TTGL not? What were your expectations on TTGL that it didn't pay off in the end?

*shrug*. I haven't watched TTGL in a while. Just don't remember grinning quite as hard then as now.

and that's all I'll answer for an off the cuff comment that I make while riding the high of a feel good eps. Don't need the downer deconstruction and justification of everything I say. I could of course fall into the trap of providing post-hoc justification for my current state, but hey I'll be more honest - you're just going to have to accept that I think more highly of KLK right now than Gurren Lagan.

Xamdou

The good feels in this episode :p All the various character arcs pulling together as the show poises for the final thrust.

Your saying Gurren Lagann didn't do the same thing? Did you even watch the series?

But I must say though this show reminds me so much of GL with the character styles and being hyped.

How many episodes in Kill La Kill anyways?

Jintor

Is this a joke? TTGL was completely all about the "good feels". It gets the viewer pumped as fuck. Kill la Kill can't hold a candle.

i dunno. this episode was comparable. but the thing about ttgl was that it was doing this from like episode 7 onwards, constantly.

FluxWaveZ

I see. I understand that and it was cool to see some of that in this episode, but just the scene in Gurren Lagann where
Kitan sacrifices himself
blows anything that Kill la Kill has provided out of the water. It's not even close, at least to me.

...I wasn't even that into Gurren Lagann.

Zaptruder

Banned
i dunno. this episode was comparable. but the thing about ttgl was that it was doing this from like episode 7 onwards, constantly.

I suppose in that sense, the delta between the previous episodes and pay-off episodes wasn't quite as great. TTGL just established a pattern of whoa! And while the KLK payoff was pretty transparent, it didn't stop the feels from been so good.

FluxWaveZ

And while the KLK payoff was pretty transparent, it didn't stop the feels from been so good.

You know, I just think I don't like anyone in this series and that's why I didn't really care too much. My favorite character was Nui before, and that's because she represented an active, menacing threat before, but she's been reduced to barking and yelling melodramatically like everyone else.

Andrew J.

Silver Spoon is one of those shows I feel obliged to watch and rate highly, but not something I really look forward to or think about when it's not on.

Kill-la-kill, on the other hand, I get super hyped for, and I'm always turning over the latest episode in my mind for days.

Zeppeli

Banned
I see. I understand that and it was cool to see some of that in this episode, but just the scene in Gurren Lagann where
Kitan sacrifices himself
blows anything that Kill la Kill has provided out of the water. It's not even close, at least to me.

...I wasn't even that into Gurren Lagann.

So this is Spiral Power, huh?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I've hated Nui the moment I saw her. I knew she would be the type of character to annoy the ever living shit out of me. And I was right.

I can't wait to see her get chopped up into millions of pieces.

ANYWAY...

How many eps left are there? 2?

*shrug*. I haven't watched TTGL in a while. Just don't remember grinning quite as hard then as now.

and that's all I'll answer for an off the cuff comment that I make while riding the high of a feel good eps. Don't need the downer deconstruction and justification of everything I say. I could of course fall into the trap of providing post-hoc justification for my current state, but hey I'll be more honest - you're just going to have to accept that I think more highly of KLK right now than Gurren Lagan.

Hey, I'm right there with you. I don't understand why everyone's jumping on you for an opinion. Get over it.

I'll admit that Kill la Kill has issues, but for some reason it seems to appeal to me in a way that Gurren Lagann didn't manage to, not even close. But sometimes I like female representation in my anime, go figure. It's choppy in pacing and animation. It's stupid, clearly. But hell if I'm not having a great time every week, especially when I'd felt that anime wasn't delivering on that level recently.

Top Bottom