• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

NotLiquid

There's also this
NY8yw+

So maybe they don't get as much lead time to translate, but that doesn't explain why other translations are fine. As mentioned, it's not Crunchyroll's fault.

It looks like there was a screening for the final episode already, spoilers may already be 'out there' :S

They literally animate these episodes as they go? Seriously?

I always thought they did these like regular TV shows and do all episodes in one go as part of a season.

No wonder the series feels so disjointed all of the time.

I always thought they did these like regular TV shows and do all episodes in one go as part of a season.

This is par the course for the anime industry, duckroll could go in more detail but my understanding is that they generally get a backlog of episodes completed before a season starts and then continue to animate and complete episodes during its course. Things like the script and stuff are set in stone before animation begins in earnest. The "disjointed" nature of the series probably has more to do with their budget / general storytelling than anything that has to do with the process of making the show. Although there are issues with other studios where it's clear they cut corners in order to get an episode out in time, see the TV run of Attack on Titan or the latest Wizard Barristers episode as an example of that.

Giolon

Often anime shows are down to the wire of their deadline. That's why you see animation mistakes, very off model characters in some scenes, and other short cutting. Then many studios will go back and clean things up for the blu-ray release. SHAFT practically re-animates the Monkgatari series episodes every time lol. Seeing the BD is like a whole different show!

Somnid

This fascinates me too. It's probably endemic bad management in the animation industry, not unlike the software industry. Finishing only a few hours before it goes live is nuts.

raven777

kill la kill the final episode

well..good job trigger. It was a hell of a ride.

The ending felt really rushed...well since they worked until the day it actually aired so I can kinda understand. Still not really happy with how it went though.

Maybe I had too much expectation with Kill la Kill, hoping it was another TTGL. It didn't end up that way but I still enjoyed the show overall.

Feltrol

Banned
kill la kill the final episode

well..good job trigger. It was a hell of a ride.

The ending felt really rushed...well since they worked until the day it actually aired so I can kinda understand. Still not really happy with how it went though.

Maybe I had too much expectation with Kill la Kill, hoping it was another TTGL. It didn't end up that way but I still enjoyed the show overall.

Any spoilers?

TheOGB

Banned
This is par the course for the anime industry, duckroll could go in more detail but my understanding is that they generally get a backlog of episodes completed before a season starts and then continue to animate and complete episodes during its course. Things like the script and stuff are set in stone before animation begins in earnest. The "disjointed" nature of the series probably has more to do with their budget / general storytelling than anything that has to do with the process of making the show. Although there are issues with other studios where it's clear they cut corners in order to get an episode out in time, see the TV run of Attack on Titan or the latest Wizard Barristers episode as an example of that.
Often anime shows are down to the wire of their deadline. That's why you see animation mistakes, very off model characters in some scenes, and other short cutting. Then many studios will go back and clean things up for the blu-ray release. SHAFT practically re-animates the Monkgatari series episodes every time lol. Seeing the BD is like a whole different show!
I've learned a lot about anime from watching this and Attack on Titan.

Mononoke

Banned
EDIT:

Just checked Reddit, and saw most of the spoilers. Seems like a very
safe ending
. Obviously I'll judge for myself when I watch the RAWs for it.

Snakeyes

Any spoilers?

Heroes get owned
Senketsu impales Ragyo and separates her from Houououomaru
Heroes comeback
Nui merges with Ragyo, they take off for the satellite and cover the planet in Life Fibers
Ryuko absorbs everyone's uniforms, goes after Ragyo
Battle ensues, Ryuko gets impaled but manages to deactivate (?) all the Life Fibers while being linked (?) with Ragyo.
Ragyo commits sudoku
Senketsu also starts to disappear, uses the last of his strength to bring Ryuko back to Earth
Satsuki, Mako and Co. catch Ryuko as she falls down. After an epic naked reunion, Ryuko finally calls Satsuki "sister". The end.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
there is still one more episode that will be in the last volume of bluray/dvd.
Traditionally those are completely unrelated to the overarching story line, instead being simple fan service, I wouldn't expect much from that other than a fun sidestory with the cast

raven777

I'd expect that to be more of an omake type thing, but I haven't seen any concrete info on it other than it will exist.

Traditionally those are completely unrelated to the overarching story line, instead being simple fan service, I wouldn't expect much from that other than a fun sidestory with the cast

yea I know it won't be any significant story episode. I just want a fun episode with lots of jokes and Satsuki.

Feltrol

Banned
Heroes get owned
Senketsu impales Ragyo and separates her from Houououomaru
Heroes comeback
Nui merges with Ragyo, they take off for the satellite and cover the planet in Life Fibers
Ryuko absorbs everyone's uniforms, goes after Ragyo
Battle ensues, Ryuko gets impaled but manages to deactivate (?) all the Life Fibers while being linked (?) with Ragyo.
Ragyo commits sudoku
Senketsu also starts to disappear, uses the last of his strength to bring Ryuko back to Earth
Satsuki, Mako and Co. catch Ryuko as she falls down. After an epic naked reunion, Ryuko finally calls Satsuki "sister". The end.

Thank you.

Soma

Y'know what... I enjoyed the last episode.

Obviously I'll have to watch it again with subtitles to make a proper impression of it, but for what it was, it was nice. Wasn't entirely satisfying but like with most of the show in general it had a lot of good moments to make me enjoy it in the end.

Really hope the upcoming OVA is a slice of life epilogue because
man that ending scene was adorable.

_PM

Well, that was... Nice.

Everything was expected, but the overflowing charm of this show saves everything. I'm satisfied.

A-V-B

Satsuki with the Four in her mansion with the Hitler guy before the big event at Honnouji.

Zeroth

Nice episode, it wasn't that good but it had its moments which made the overall package interesting to say the least. I guess that can describe Kill la Kill pretty well to boot.

Shame it felt somewhat rushed, not in terms of animation or anything, but of narrative. I think they could've managed the last episodes to be more cohesive, but oh well.

Also,
it had a Gurren Lagann nod.

Mononoke

Banned
Watched the raw...

I was really satisfied with this ending.
It was very predictable. Everything I expected to happen, happened. There wasn't any real stakes/consequences. They couldn't commit to killing anyone off (lol them fake outs). MY ONLY gripe is that, I think they could have taken it further. If they were going to commit to the over the top/absurd feel good ending, they needed it to be a bit more epic (with the fighting). And, I also think they should have done more of the slice of life crap at the end. Like on a character level, I think they should have committed more to it and did the fan service stuff. Just because this is a show that has always been about fan service, so in that regard, it felt kind of anticlimatic? But I really loved the ending where Satsuki catches Ryuko and everyone backs her up to save her. Also LOL @ scissor sisters.

Thats how it needed to end really.

The shippers going to have a field trip with this one lol

Also
It's a small world
cameo made me laugh.

The episode was great but sadly felt rushed as hell. Hope trigger gets more money in the future.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah overall this is the kind of episode that will leave me with fond memories of the show's good parts, as opposed to it's flaws.

TheOGB

Banned
The episode froze on me right after
Ragyo sudoku'd and it was just sitting on Ryuko's face for like a minute, as if she was trying to decide how to react to that
. It was confusing and hilarious. I half expected
a 'best cry ever' moment
to happen.

Top Bottom