• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Mononoke

Banned
Because Mako asked her out while kissing with her (twice). It stands to reason that their "date" is romantic in nature, rather than being friendly. This image set + image should really emphasize that point.

I just don't think that gama's attempt to ask her out would suddenly nullify everything that happened prior.

I mean yeah. But most of those speeches always came off as cheeky to me. And
the kiss wasn't really I dunno..sensual to me.
Then again, I'm not an expert at all this shipping stuff so lol

Still, I think it was intentionally left open so that everyone could see it the way they wanted. I didn't really think it was this settled thing (which is why I personally think they left it open to satisfy everyone).

EDIT: I guess I'm being a buzzkill here. My apologies.

Ninjimbo

Good show. 9/10. Would watch again.

Satsuki was on the sidelines for the final episodes. Disappointing. The ending was heartwarming though. I loved that catch at the end. Perfect moment for the nee-san.

MartyStu

That was awful, but the experience was fantastic, so I suppose I have nothing to complain about.

Better than Stardriver (the last over-hyped show I watched with GAF)

PK Gaming

I mean yeah. But most of those speeches always came off as cheeky to me. And
the kiss wasn't really I dunno..sensual to me.
Then again, I'm not an expert at all this shipping stuff so lol

Still, I think it was intentionally left it open so that everyone could see it the way they wanted. I didn't really think it was this settled thing (which is why I personally think they left it open to satisfy everyone).

I dunno, cheeky is kind of her style you know?

The kiss wasn't really sensual, but it (along with the rest of the images) strongly conveyed the sense that Mako wanted to go out with Ryuko for real. (Not just as friends[/url]. I mean Mako's always been "friendly" with Ryuko (she's groped her boobs and ogled her in the past) but that always felt comic relief-ish. It feels like there's a distinct difference in Mako's interaction this time... I didn't really get the sense that they wanted to just hang out. (Otherwise, what would be the point of announcing it?). It's also worth noting that during credits, Ryuko is shown anxiously waiting for her.

Maybe things might change, but it's hard to deny that Mako has romantic feelings for Ryuko and vice versa.

EDIT: You aren't being a buzzkill, don't worry.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
man
this was a great Anime, maybe one of the best I've seen in a few years.... I don't know how I feel about senketsu dying in the end, it was so abrupt.....

Thoraxes

TU6KX1e.gif
Kill la Kill - 24 END
TU6KX1e.gif

FUCK YEAH

TU6KX1e.gif
BASED TRIGGER
TU6KX1e.gif

TELL ME WHEN I CAN GIVE YOU $600 FOR BDS CAUSE I'LL GIVE IT TO YOU

The whole ending was well done, the fight was awesome, dat shipping at the end (lol), and Ragyo
delivered a Lord Genome speech if I ever heard one. While I think the show is fine ending here, I would be all fucking up for a sequel, for real. And Ragyo ending her life was great how it happened.

The end and the credits were so fucking cute too, god damn.

The whole show fucking delivered in spades, and I am so fucking happy it ended up being god-tier.

TU6KX1e.gif
TRIGGER
TU6KX1e.gif

TU6KX1e.gif
GODS
TU6KX1e.gif

bobawesome

Oh my god...that ending. Very strong finish for one of my favorite anime I've seen recently. I'm surprised that Light Your Heart Up wasn't used considering the nature of the lyrics.

Mononoke

Banned
I dunno, cheeky is kind of her style you know?

The kiss wasn't really sensual, but it (along with the rest of the images) strongly conveyed the sense that Mako wanted to go out with Ryuko for real. (Not just as friends[/url]. I mean Mako's always been "friendly" with Ryuko (she's groped her boobs and ogled her in the past) but that always felt comic relief-ish. It feels like there's a distinct difference in Mako's interaction this time... I didn't really get the sense that they wanted to just hang out. (Otherwise, what would be the point of announcing it?). It's also worth noting that during credits, Ryuko is shown anxiously waiting for her.

Maybe things might change, but it's hard to deny that Mako has romantic feelings for Ryuko and vice versa.

EDIT: You aren't being a buzzkill, don't worry.

Yeah, I totally see your point. To be clear, I think the writers have intentionally made it so Mako's actions towards Ryuko were often romantic. And I think even in the
speech scene in the finale, those tones were obviously there.
I just have a hard time telling if they are being jokey about it, or if it's being serious.

This is one of my gripes about the finale. I feel like they focused too much on
the life fiber plot (which they needed to), but I also think they should have done more with the characters after the fight. I mean, I really don't think most fans were all that invested in the absurd life fiber plot. And the writers clearly weren't that invested either, as they didn't really go to great lengths make it have depth, nor was the conclusion to it all that deep outside of the revelation that Senketsu and Ryuko were made to absorb fibers (a counter to Domination). But that pretty much means that, Ryuko and Senketsu were always the solution, and so it really didn't make a difference how they got there.

So I think they should have done more with the characters personal lives after the fight was over. Just because I think most fans liked the characters more then the main plot. And it doesn't feel like we got that kind of closure/resolution. So my issue with the whole shipping thing here is that, I feel like they chickened out on committing to one or the other (hence Mako's brief kiss/date thing, and then Gama's fake out death + him asking her out in the credits).

A-V-B

I guess the only way they can justify half-finishing the characters is if they really are shooting for a second season.

Which might also be why they've been pretty solid about not turning LWA into a series, keeping it a 45 minute venture or whatever. Because the team that would do that series is at the gate for season 2 of KLK.

Nasser

God. Feels everywhere... action packed episode. SO GOOOD!!! I'm sure gonna miss this show :( there HAS to be another season.

The way Satsuki ran to rescue Ryuko had me laughing haha, the eyes :D

PK Gaming

Yeah, I totally see your point. To be clear, I think the writers have intentionally made it so Mako's actions towards Ryuko were often romantic. And I think even in the
speech scene in the finale, those tones were obviously there.
I just have a hard time telling if they are being jokey about it, or if it's being serious.

This is one of my gripes about the finale. I feel like they focused too much on
the life fiber plot (which they needed to), but I also think they should have done more with the characters after the fight. I mean, I really don't think most fans were all that invested in the absurd life fiber plot. And the writers clearly weren't that invested either, as they didn't really go to great lengths make it have depth, nor was the conclusion to it all that deep outside of the revelation that Senketsu and Ryuko were made to absorb fibers (a counter to Domination). But that pretty much means that, Ryuko and Senketsu were always the solution, and so it really didn't make a difference how they got there.

So I think they should have done more with the characters personal lives after the fight was over. Just because I think most fans liked the characters more then the main plot. And it doesn't feel like we got that kind of closure/resolution. So my issue with the whole shipping thing here is that, I feel like they chickened out on committing to one or the other (hence Mako's brief kiss/date thing, and then Gama's fake out death + him asking her out in the credits).

Right, I completely see your point now.

Can't say I disagree with your assessment of the finale. It definitely had tons of flaws, and I admit that i'm overlooking most of them due to my "high." Still,
a Ryumako type relationship is almost unprecedented in the world of anime (outside of yuri/shojo anime i suppose)

Mononoke

Banned
Right, I completely see your point now.

Can't say I disagree with your assessment of the finale. It definitely had tons of flaws, and I admit that i'm overlooking most of them due to my "high." Still,
Ryumako is almost unprecedented in the world of anime (outside of yuri/shojo anime i suppose)

I definitely enjoyed the finale too though. I think in the grand scheme of things, it was actually a very solid/good ending. I personally just felt like it was a little anticlimactic. Like I walked away from it wanting more. But eh.

All I know is, I really enjoyed this anime. Looking at the entire show as a whole, it was such a fun/over the top ride. And in that sense too, I think the ending worked, and was appropriate for the show it was trying to be.

Nephtis

Looking back, I wonder how well the anime would have been received if it didn't have the soundtrack provided. The music alone really let me overlook a lot of ridiculous plot devices / scenes because I was so invested in enjoying the music.

This is one of those series that the show and the music need to go hand in hand, otherwise the experience is greatly truncated.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Looking back, I wonder how well the anime would have been received if it didn't have the soundtrack provided. The music alone really let me overlook a lot of ridiculous plot devices / scenes because I was so invested in enjoying the music.

This is one of those series that the show and the music need to go hand in hand, otherwise the experience is greatly truncated.

tbh the sound direction and soundtrack itself were pretty bad with a few exceptions, the show succeeded in spite of the music, not because of it

Soma

Probably better.

I never really got the Sawano hate until this show. There were some good ideas but the OST for this show was mediocre to bad. :/

Jintor

it's funny you say that, because I never felt like the music really REALLY hit it like some of the epic stuff in TTGL ever did. Only Bluemangroup and the OP/ED usages I thought were really good, and they really reused the shit out of those.

Anyway, my overall thoughts are basically the same as they ever was: it was a dumb, stupid ride that was entertaining enough while I was on it, but I certainly won't be thinking about it too much in the future aside from marveling that they got away with making a pretty good show out of some incredibly limited animation.

MarkusRJR

This last episode was so fucking good. So excited to marathon it in a year or two and savor it. The only thing I didn't like was
the open ending. They totally implied another season, but there is such a small chance that'll happen so it just ended up bothering me. They should have closed off the story line and tied up loose ends.
Either way, it was a really enjoyable show. :)

Well shit, Trigger did it. Pretty great, and mighty appropriate ending.

Satsuki running full tilt and screaming at the top of her lungs
is the best thing ever.

Boo at Junkestu getting shafted.

Even bigger (but understandable) boo at Senketsu burning up. If the show gets a season 2 (95% chance of that not happening), they better bring him back. This show makes excuses all the time anyway.

NEXT ON THE LIST TRIGGER: AN INFERNO COP ONE SHOT OVA WITH SEXY, OVER THE TOP FIGHT SCENES THAT ARE ACTUALLY ANIMATED FOR MORE THAN THE PRICE OF A HAPPY MEAL! THIS MAN DEMANDS IT!

YO FUCK THAT SHIT

Long haired Satsuki forever, fuck that short hair forreal

All in all, I really liked this show. Granted, it's not GL and we're all pretty much aware of what problems we had with the show, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it...after getting over all of the fan servicey bits in the beginning...and the awkward shit later on...but still!

This last episode was so fucking good. So excited to marathon it in a year or two and savor it. The only thing I didn't like was
the open ending. They totally implied another season, but there is such a small chance that'll happen so it just ended up bothering me. They should have closed off the story line and tied up loose ends.
Either way, it was a really enjoyable show. :)
Nope, they just
implied a couple of movies, and they will happen.

TheOGB

Banned
Sawano's music is the kind of stuff that I don't quite know if I like or hate at first and after some time and an awesome scene I end up really feeling it. (listening to some of the soundtrack as I type)

God. Feels everywhere... action packed episode. SO GOOOD!!! I'm sure gonna miss this show :( there HAS to be another season.

The way Satsuki ran to rescue Ryuko had me laughing haha, the eyes :D
Yeah, that was great. And it gets better with this

Nephtis

tbh the sound direction and soundtrack itself were pretty bad with a few exceptions, the show succeeded in spite of the music, not because of it

Probably better.

I never really got the Sawano hate until this show. There were some good ideas but the OST for this show was mediocre to bad. :/

it's funny you say that, because I never felt like the music really REALLY hit it like some of the epic stuff in TTGL ever did. Only Bluemangroup and the OP/ED usages I thought were really good, and they really reused the shit out of those.

The soundtrack hit almost all the right spots for me. There were a few misses, but for the most part I really enjoyed it. Blumenkranz, Aikurō Mikisugi's and Uzu Sanageyama's theme song in particular are fantastic for me.

Listening to the entire soundtrack, there are very few arrangements that I would qualify as mediocre. Different strokes, different folks I suppose.

Really enjoyed the show. It felt a little rush, but I don't mind.
I expected Nui to die a horrible agonizing death, only to be trolled so hard when she offs herself.
Was surprised Satsuki cut her hair.
Now I have to watch Gurren Lagann to see what's all the fuss about.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Really enjoyed the show. It felt a little rush, but I don't mind.
I expected Nui to die a horrible agonizing death, only to be trolled so hard when she offs herself.
Was surprised Satsuki cut her hair.
Now I have to watch Gurren Lagann to see what's all the fuss about.

Imaishi's masterpiece

Jintor

If we're just going to compete on OP usage though, this is my absolute favourite sequence from all of TTGL. (It's in english, sorry - only version I could find on short notice. Also spoilers for all of TTGL in there, obviously).

That shot as the camera pans around the back of the Gurren Lagann to face Teppelin... so fucking awesome.

kingkitty

Okay ending.

Only big death was the sailor uniform. That was pretty sad.

The show started off so well, I thought it had potential to be something truly special, but right now I'd just rank it as "pretty good." Kinda went in circles with Ryuko losing her way, and the lack of real consequences. But it had fantastic style, and a good sense of humor.

mjontrix

salute.gif

Comrades. Friends. Allies.
We did it. We never gave up. Even when the odds were against us, and it seemed like the majority was on Mako la Gama's side, we never gave in to the despair. We were always pining for the day that Mako la Ryuko would be a thing. And it happened. Our perseverance payed off.

Anime has been saved.

Indeed - anime has been saved.

Opto

Banned
Everyone conveniently leaves out the part where she talks about shopping for clothes and stuff... and really, if it's a romantic date, you're going to bring your sister? I mean, I guess, but...
they ran into her *shrug*

and you're forgetting Mako echoing "without fear"

PK Gaming

Why would anyone think they're gay! http://imgur.com/a/5Rqz3

We're all wearing yuri goggles

Everyone conveniently leaves out the part where she talks about shopping for clothes and stuff... and really, if it's a romantic date, you're going to bring your sister? I mean, I guess, but...

Well, I doubt that either of them would let her go, all things considering. I could definitely seem them outright cancelling their "date" to hang out with Satsuki. And besides romantic = / = serious. A romantic date between Mako and Ryuko could absolutely entail goofy shopping hijinks.

A-V-B

they ran into her *shrug*

and you're forgetting Mako echoing "without fear"

Considering the world just spent years in a post-apocalyptic setting, the most recent months dominated by horrific alien lifeforms, I can see how fear could factor into two girls hanging out around town.

Top Bottom