• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

LordCanti

Hang in there! Actually (because I don't know how that market works), what's the track record on releases over there anyways?

In the UK? I think they usually get stuff a bit later than we do in the US. Having said that, Aniplex's prices are so outrageous that I'd sooner just wait it out. If they go with the Bakemonogatari model, we'd be looking at $300-ish for the entire series. In the UK, I'd expect it to cost half that or so, considering the price of Bake there.

Hang in there! Actually (because I don't know how that market works), what's the track record on releases over there anyways?

Actually, pretty good: we're notorious for having damn cheap Madoka (as in £20 for the entire shooting match on Blus). Unfortunately, looks like Aniplex is going to start playing hardball, judging by Sword Art Online (4 releases of about £20 each, which is probably still a good bit better than what the US release will cost), so it's really a question of what deal All the Anime landed for the UK (or indeed if a retail release is a component of said deal).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am honestly surprised nobody has done something with this Mako and the Mako over on Legend of Korra yet. Also, now that I have said this I fully expect somebody to get inspired to do something with that.

sleepykyo

It totally is but it takes more risks and has more characterization than your average shonen. I can tell them that it treats it's audience more as adults than, say, Agents of Shield or Sleepy Hollow.

I guess it isn't quite as bad as calling SAO the most intelligent anime, but this is turning into Bioshock Infinite/Last of Us animu edition.

Thoraxes

In the UK? I think they usually get stuff a bit later than we do in the US. Having said that, Aniplex's prices are so outrageous that I'd sooner just wait it out. If they go with the Bakemonogatari model, we'd be looking at $300-ish for the entire series. In the UK, I'd expect it to cost half that or so, considering the price of Bake there.

Actually, pretty good: we're notorious for having damn cheap Madoka (as in £20 for the entire shooting match on Blus). Unfortunately, looks like Aniplex is going to start playing hardball, judging by Sword Art Online (4 releases of about £20 each, which is probably still a good bit better than what the US release will cost), so it's really a question of what deal All the Anime landed for the UK (or indeed if a retail release is a component of said deal).

Ah very interesting. Thank you both for that! It's always nice to learn about the different approaches to pricing models and localizations.

LordCanti

Will pay Aniplex prices if it's a suitably premium product.

They should learn from video games and do a premium SKU and then a barebones "Here's the discs in a box" SKU. Honestly, some of their releases are basically just the latter, but at premium prices (a tiny art book is not my idea of "premium").

I know the real reason they won't is a fear of reverse importation, and I get that, but it's still a bummer.

So far the savior of anime has been a disappointment, its ruined all the goodwill Trigger gained with LMA. If nothing else, the anime will inspire some good figures. But Ryuoko's suit and constant shots is pathetic.

So far the savior of anime has been a disappointment, its ruined all the goodwill Trigger gained with LMA. If nothing else, the anime will inspire some good figures. But Ryuoko's suit and constant shots is pathetic.

Same. I thought the well done censorship of upskirt shots in LWA mean't we were done with this type of nonsense. This season has been one big disappointment.

Why are people pretending like LWA is everybody at TRIGGER's first and only anime, and treating it as the studio's mission statement? It just seems wilfully ignorant at this point, given how much Imaishi and GAINAX's work has been referenced in here.

LordCanti

I want the suit to get so tight this episode that it enters her and the two of them become one. Then, afterwards, when the powa done been row row fought, she puts on a nun outfit to hide her shame and vows to never fight again.

Edit: Four hours. Get hype.

Bombless

Finally caught the time to watch the 2 episodes. Love the animation and they obviously put a lot of heart into the art, but it was boring and predictable as fuck.

Savior of anime got overshadowed by the better anime of this season. White Album 2, Outbreak Company and Noucome have all been terrific, so too is Kuroko no Basket s2. Why would anime need to be saved when you have crazy stuff like Noucome coming out?

Why are people pretending like LWA is everybody at TRIGGER's first and only anime, and treating it as the studio's mission statement? It just seems wilfully ignorant at this point, given how much Imaishi and GAINAX's work has been referenced in here.

If Little Witch Academia had been directed by Imaishi, it would have turned out quite differently.

duckroll

Maybe people aren't pretending. LWA is the first and only full length anime product Trigger has produced so far. That's a fact. Kill la Kill is their first TV series.

Maybe people aren't pretending. LWA is the first and only full length anime product Trigger has produced so far. That's a fact. Kill la Kill is their first TV series.

The statement was "everybody at Trigger's first anime", not "Trigger's first anime". I don't want to speak for DeadRockstar, but I think the intent of the post was that people should be using Imaishi's past works - TTGL, Panty and Stocking, Re:Cutie Honey, etc. - as points of reference more than Little Witch Academia.

duckroll

The statement was "everybody at Trigger's first anime", not "Trigger's first anime". I don't want to speak for DeadRockstar, but I think the intent of the post was that people should be using Imaishi's past works - TTGL, Panty and Stocking, Re:Cutie Honey, etc. - as points of reference more than Little Witch Academia.

Oh, sure. But I think there's also consideration to be made that a brand is also something which creates awareness. Some people left Gainax and formed their own studio. Some of us know exactly who these people are, many don't. The new studio then produces a work which catches a lot of attention, and then subsequently goes on have a very successful Kickstarter to fund the sequel.

It's only natural that when this studio makes a new TV series, there will be comparisons to that work.

If Little Witch Academia had been directed by Imaishi, it would have turned out quite differently.

The dragon fight would probably be in the first 10 minutes for one thing :p

Yes, that's what I was getting at. I won't fault people for discovering TRIGGER through LWA(and that's great), but Imaishi and his work have been referenced enough here that it seems people should have clued in by now. Or at least the context for Kill la Kill is there if they look.

Crocodile

Oh, sure. But I think there's also consideration to be made that a brand is also something which creates awareness. Some people left Gainax and formed their own studio. Some of us know exactly who these people are, many don't. The new studio then produces a work which catches a lot of attention, and then subsequently goes on have a very successful Kickstarter to fund the sequel.

It's only natural that when this studio makes a new TV series, there will be comparisons to that work.

I mean yes........and no. It would be like if someone picked up a Zelda game and then 6 months later picked up a Metroid game and complained that the Metroid game wasn't like the Zelda game they bought. They were never advertised to be similar (this is the important part). A company isn't a singular person, it's a group of people with a singular goal but varying ideals, talents, dreams, etc. Having disparate products come from the same company (or heck even a singular person) isn't usual. That's why the comparison is so weird (at least on a thematic level - a craftsmanship level comparison would make more sense as long as we note the budget differences between an OVA and a TV episode).

duckroll

I mean yes........and no. It would be like if someone picked up a Zelda game and then 6 months later picked up a Metroid game and complained that the Metroid game wasn't like the Zelda game they bought. They were never advertised to be similar (this is the important part). A company isn't a singular person, it's a group of people with a singular goal but varying ideals, talents, dreams, etc. Having disparate products come from the same company (or heck even a singular person) isn't usual. That's why the comparison is so weird (at least on a thematic level - a craftsmanship level comparison would make more sense as long as we note the budget differences between an OVA and a TV episode).

This would only be true is everyone who worked on Zelda also worked on Metroid, and Nintendo only makes one game at any given time. And in that case, the comparisons will be valid even if the products are different, because people who want Zelda might not like Metroid but they have to wait anyway while Metroid is finished before they will ever get more Zelda. :)

Which is the case with Trigger. It's not a big company.

Squishy3

Well, that was pretty damn good.

This would only be true is everyone who worked on Zelda also worked on Metroid, and Nintendo only makes one game at any given time. And in that case, the comparisons will be valid even if the products are different, because people who want Zelda might not like Metroid but they have to wait anyway while Metroid is finished before they will ever get more Zelda. :)

Which is the case with Trigger. It's not a big company.
Trigger is a small company, but anyone can go and look at the people behind LWA and Kill La Kill and see that there are different directors and writers.

LordCanti

After all the crazy theories that they might destroy
the entire academy and that the show might transform into something else entirely this quick
I almost wanted it to happen. It didn't, but what we got was pretty damn cool anyway. I'm kind of laughing that I was right about
the suit having to get inside her and for them to become one
even though I was joking at the time.

The CG got wonnnnnkyyyyyyy in a few spots but it always felt like a gag to me even though it definitely wasn't. The animation was great everywhere else though, so it's hard to complain. The people that didn't like her outfit before are probably tearing their eyeballs out at
her outfit now, as well as Satsuki's
even though it's clearly a gag aimed at pretty much every other anime to ever exist in this genre (or in any "girls clothes transforming" genre).

I don't really get how the three
stars are going to even touch her considering how much power she's got now. The dynamic of how the fights are set up will be interesting. My hope is that she kicks a few legs out of the social ladder and the whole thing just kind of collapses into chaos.

Oh and Mako gonna Mako. Waifu of the year.

Squishy3

I don't really get how the three
stars are going to even touch her considering how much power she's got now. The dynamic of how the fights are set up will be interesting. My hope is that she kicks a few pegs out of the social ladder and the whole thing just kind of collapses into chaos.

Oh and Mako gonna Mako. Waifu of the year.
Episode 3 spoilers:
Likely she's going to have to play by each club's rules, like how she had to play the tennis match in episode 2. Preview at the end seems to suggest that she'll be going through a Ninja Warrior type obstacle course next episode.

Gazoinks

Kill La Kill 03

That was a pretty awesome episode, especially the fight, although it didn't shake up the status quo of the series as much as the hype seemed to imply. Format's still the same, although since Ryuuko powered up I'm guessing she'll basically be able to cleave through all the two-stars right away. Some more sexy exposition time with Stupid Sexy Sensei is always good, as is another Mako speech. Now what's Satsuki planning, exactly? It almost seems like she wants Ryuuko to get stronger. I'm still expecting them to team up halfway through the series or something.

Looks like people who were talking about exploitation being one of the themes of the series were on the right track.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kiil la Kill - 03

Absolutely amazing. Episode was nothing but adrenalin fueled badassery to the highest degree. Satsuki just skyrocketed to the top of my ranks. Hooooooooly shit! The choreography of the fight scenes, the animation, the angle shots, so fucking top notch. I need to take a walk or something because I am so fucking pumped right now! PURITY!

Soma

pLC1A.gif
pLC1A.gif
pLC1A.gif
Satsuki

LordCanti

Episode 3 spoilers:
Likely she's going to have to play by each club's rules, like how she had to play the tennis match in episode 2. Preview at the end seems to suggest that she'll be going through a Ninja Warrior type obstacle course next episode.

I have a feeling that Mako's going to get kidnapped or something as a means of
holding her to those rules. Otherwise she'd be under no obligation to follow them and could just completely obliterate them all.

Somehow has smaller titties than Ryuko even though she's clearly got much larger ones.
Mako
logic.

Gazoinks

I have a feeling that Mako's going to get kidnapped or something as a means of
holding her to those rules. Otherwise she'd be under no obligation to follow them and could just completely obliterate them all.

Yeah. It could get kind of formulaic if they do that for every battle though, since they've already done it twice, so I hope they shake it up some.

Maybe Mako will get a Goku uniform.

Squishy3

Episode 3 spoilers:
I was expecting Satsuki's head to slowly fall off after she swung the scissor in decapitation mode and Satsuki was limboing it up. That would have changed the status quo for sure. :lol

rexor0717

The fanservice in that episode was on another level! What a fun episode, I'm really enjoying this show. I really hope that it doesn't stick with the baddie of the week for too much longer, but I have plenty of faith that they will deliver some awesome stuff in future episodes. Also, Mako and family continues to be hilarious.

Also yeah, without a doubt Satsuki wont be considered an enemy for the entire series.

LordCanti

Stupid Sexy Sensei definitely
knows about the suits. Specifically, he probably knows that it'ssss peeeeeeeopleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Secret villain.

Episode 3 spoilers:
I was expecting Satsuki's head to slowly fall off after she swung the scissor in decapitation mode and Satsuki was limboing it up. That would have changed the status quo for sure. :lol

Right up until she
walked back up the staircase
I figured the two of them would
wreck the place and bring the "this isn't a school fighting anime at all!" theory to fruition.

The fanservice in that episode was on another level! What a fun episode, I'm really enjoying this show. I really hope that it doesn't stick with the baddie of the week for too much longer, but I have plenty of faith that they will deliver some awesome stuff in future episodes. Also, Mako and family continues to be hilarious.

Also yeah, without a doubt Satsuki wont be considered an enemy for the entire series.

I liked the reveal about her
parents not being in the country.
You really get the sense that everything is going to be turned on its head whenever they
show back up and see how Satsuki has let things go sideways.

Top Bottom