• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Ferrio

Banned
I like how the ending credits honnou is just a regular city now. No more crazy class warfare.

Also did they ever explain what the point was of honnou attacking other academies? What was that suppose to accomplish?

Guess Who

Banned
Also did they ever explain what the point was of honnou attacking other academies? What was that suppose to accomplish?

Conquering them and putting more schools under the Honnouji umbrella so Satsuki could use their students as soldiers against Ragyo.

Mesoian

I just expected it, given how campy/fan service(y) the show has always been.
Although tbh, I didn't need anyone to get together by the end. I sort of just wanted more from the characters beyond the final fight (just because I wasn't that invested in the life fiber plot, and they already set up Ryuko + Senketsu to be the ultimate solution.)
. But I also find it funny how much its gotten people riled up, and going back and forth over what is canon. As I said a couple back, IMO they set it up on purpose to make everyone happy (so anyone can see what they want to see).

I mean, that's every fandom in a nutshell. Remember Avatar: TLAB and how insane people got when
Kitara ended up with Aang instead of Zuko?

Damn, that ending hit all the right notes... except
Senketsu's rushed death :'(

The fact that it was sudden made it stick. That's how death is. Most of the time, it's no melodrama and just, and act. At least he got to say goodbye

Did you really just go there? Fucking seriously?

Ease down there ripley. At the of the day, the two are excellent examples of forgoing common sense in order to shoehorn a particularly weak point.

LordCanti

So all those people who
made up the cacoon that are now falling towards the earth.... Did they.... did all of them just go splat?

Ryuko's
orders were for them to be returned to the way they were, so no. I mean, technically they're shown falling from space, but...yeah...they lived.

Jex

Honestly, my only critique is that the entire plot felt waaaaaaay too rushed, but that's to do with episode length and amount more than anything. I wish Trigger could redo all of KLK, but with all these 24 episodes' story spread over 2 seasons instead: season 1 about Ryuuko dealing with Satsuki and Honnouji Academy, and season 2 being the whole takedown of Ragyo, REVOCS and the Life Fibres. Go into more detail with Hououmaru, Tsumugu and Nudist Beach.

Maybe call it Rekill la Kill. :eek:
That's a pretty interesting point of view.

I'd argue that, rather than doubling the length of the series they should really halve it. Lots of time was devoted earlier in the run time to stuff that really didn't matter and, in fact, there's probably plenty of time they could shave off in the second half too. There really wasn't enough material to string the show out as long as they did when you consider the overall story arc and final end game.

I mean, yes, theoretically they could double the length of the series and go into much greater detail about other characters but is that really the shows strong point, the writing? I'd argue that it clearly isn't considering, well, the overall pacing of the show and the characterisation of the protagonist. Lets not forget entire plot lines that appear to have gotten dumped/re-written along the way e.g. Tsumugu and his magic bullet, which smacks of poor planning in pre-production. I'd also imagine that the series would lose a lot of it's energy from being that length because you can't keep that kind of thing going indefinitely without wearing out the audience.

Obviously you disagree but I really think the show could have done a lot more with it's current runtime and the fact they handled various aspects poorly makes me suspect that having more time wouldn't improve things.

PK Gaming

She also thinks Life Fibers are Xenomorphs. The slideshows are exaggerations based on word plays and definitions. What kind of date is rushing along to hang out and bringing your friend's sister along for that matter?

Ironically, the first time any sort of fuel was added to the Gama and Mako shipping was on Mako's own accord - Mako was the one who got upset at Gama for not taking care of his own well being and sleeping habits in Episode 4.

They are exaggerations, but that was never in dispute. Mako's slideshows have always tried to convey a primary point(the point in this case is that Mako wants to go on a date with Ryuko) I'm aware of the fact that the word "date" carries several implications, but I think she's referring to a date in the traditional sense. The word play in this case seems to point to a traditional date, since the slideshow shows several instances of Mako and Ryuko being intimate (hand holding, kissing (x2). The fact that they're exaggerations doesn't invalidate the original intent. After all, Mako is all about exaggerations.

There are other things to consider as well:
-Aikuro wording implies that its a traditional date
-Ryuko's own words supports this as well.
-Ryuko anxiously waits for Mako before meeting up
-Ryuko's pants have then initials M & M(half serious)

As an aside, dates don't have to be overtly romantic in nature. This is anecdotal, but 90% of my dates have been based on just walking around and just talking with my girlfriend. As for why they dragged Satsuki along? I can definitely see either of them inviting Satsuki to their date.

LordCanti

They are exaggerations, but that was never in dispute. Mako's slideshows have always tried to convey a primary point(the point in this case is that Mako wants to go on a date with Ryuko) I'm aware of the fact that the word "date" carries several implications, but I think she's referring to a date in the traditional sense. The word play in this case seems to point to a traditional date, since the slideshow shows several instances of Mako and Ryuko being intimate (hand holding, kissing (x2). The fact that they're exaggerations doesn't invalidate the original intent. After all, Mako is all about exaggerations.

There are other things to consider as well:
-Aikuro wording implies that its a traditional date
-Ryuko's own words supports this as well.
-Ryuko anxiously waits for Mako before meeting up
-Ryuko's pants have then initials M & M(half serious)

As an aside, dates don't have to be overtly romantic in nature. This is anecdotal, but 90% of my dates have been based on just walking around and just talking with my girlfriend. As for why they dragged Satsuki along? I can definitely see either of them inviting Satsuki to their date.

Somehow I don't think
Gama-chan would be trying to work up the courage to hand Mako flowers if everyone was aware that Mako and Ryuko were dating in the traditional sense. Even Gama-chan isn't that dense. I don't know that Ryuko is anxiously awaiting her arrival either (this isn't "the" date, this is at some unspecified point in the future when the city is rebuilt. If it is "the" date and Mako invited Satsuki...that says a lot). It looked to me like Mako was probably late (because of course she is) and Ryuko is checking her watch.

Branduil

That's a pretty interesting point of view.

I'd argue that, rather than doubling the length of the series they should really halve it. Lots of time was devoted earlier in the run time to stuff that really didn't matter and, in fact, there's probably plenty of time they could shave off in the second half too. There really wasn't enough material to string the show out as long as they did when you consider the overall story arc and final end game.

I mean, yes, theoretically they could double the length of the series and go into much greater detail about other characters but is that really the shows strong point, the writing? I'd argue that it clearly isn't considering, well, the overall pacing of the show and the characterisation of the protagonist. Lets not forget entire plot lines that appear to have gotten dumped/re-written along the way e.g. Tsumugu and his magic bullet, which smacks of poor planning in pre-production. I'd also imagine that the series would lose a lot of it's energy from being that length because you can't keep that kind of thing going indefinitely without wearing out the audience.

Obviously you disagree but I really think the show could have done a lot more with it's current runtime and the fact they handled various aspects poorly makes me suspect that having more time wouldn't improve things.

It should have been a 6-episode OVA a la Gunbuster/Diebuster.

This would have side effect of also massively increasing their animation budget per episode.

Ferrio

Banned
I think the length of the series is fine. I just wish they hadn't introduced/abandoned some plot points. They obviously changed gears from their original plans.

PK Gaming

Somehow I don't think
Gama-chan would be trying to work up the courage to hand Mako flowers if everyone was aware that Mako and Ryuko were dating in the traditional sense. Even Gama-chan isn't that dense. I don't know that Ryuko is anxiously awaiting her arrival either (this isn't "the" date, this is at some unspecified point in the future when the city is rebuilt. If it is "the" date and Mako invited Satsuki...that says a lot). It looked to me like Mako was probably late (because of course she is) and Ryuko is checking her watch.

Gama doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would crash a date either, but I also get the sense that he was roped into doing it via his friends. Either that, or he'd actually go for it if he had it bad for her in spite of what Mako said to Ryuko(it's certainly possible). Or maybe Trigger is just fucking with us.

As for my point about Ryuko being anxious, i'm going to redact that (It was a weak argument to begin with). Ryuko claim about having a date riding on the final fight is pretty telling, imo.

Jex

This would have side effect of also massively increasing their animation budget per episode.

Well I don't know about that either, although I suppose if each episode was 50 minutes that would be similar to having a 13 episode series.

Leaving aside alternate realities, however, they obviously had to create enough episodes to fill that particular television slot, I just wish they had done a better job writing the show.

jstripes

Banned
The way the series switched gears halfway through just seems to be the way Trigger does things.

Gurren Lagann did the exact same thing.

Odrion

Banned
I think both sides of this Mako shipping thing are correct and Trigger is simultaneously teasing both possibilities while not ruling either one out.

Nah i think 6 ep would have been to short , would have done better being 12 eps .

Well I don't know about that either, although I suppose if each episode was 50 minutes that would be similar to having a 13 episode series.

Leaving aside alternate realities, however, they obviously had to create enough episodes to fill that particular television slot, I just wish they had done a better job writing the show.

I think it rather easy to see how much the show change from the first half to the second half .
Think some of the writing and poor pacing is for that same reason .

NotLiquid

Or maybe Trigger is just fucking with us.

Pretty much.

No ships were sunk or confirmed. They both got equal amounts of fuel. I don't think it was their intent to settle on a romantic subplot, just Trigger's way of acknowledging that they know there's a fanbase for both pairings (they have, at the very least, acknowledged Gamako in the past and hinted at there being chemistry between them) and leaving the possibility for any of them to be fulfilled - or even leave the future outcome to the audience.

PK Gaming

Pretty much.

No ships were sunk or confirmed. They both got equal amounts of fuel. I don't think it was their intent to settle on a romantic subplot, just Trigger's way of acknowledging that they know there's a fanbase for both pairings (they have, at the very least, acknowledged Gamako in the past and hinted at there being chemistry between them) and leaving the possibility for any of them to be fulfilled - or even leave the future outcome to the audience.

The OVA probably going to have even more ship teasing.

Mononoke

Banned
I mean, that's every fandom in a nutshell. Remember Avatar: TLAB and how insane people got when
Kitara ended up with Aang instead of Zuko?

The fact that it was sudden made it stick. That's how death is. Most of the time, it's no melodrama and just, and act. At least he got to say goodbye

Ease down there ripley. At the of the day, the two are excellent examples of forgoing common sense in order to shoehorn a particularly weak point.

Omg yes. The shipping in Avatar was so funny. I generally don't care for shipping/romance, but I was kind of hoping for Mako x Ryuko just because of how absurd their relationship was. I think things like shipping are easier to digest in a show like this, because it's not taking itself seriously. So to me, it would be no different then the fan service, which I generally don't like either (but was okay with in this show because of its style/tone).

Ah well. I watched the finale again and I'm finding that I'm happy with the ending. It's kind of strange, because I never took this show seriously and yet I found myself really attached to these characters by the end of it. Makes me want to see the OVA or a movie if they ever do one.

Jex

The way the series switched gears halfway through just seems to be the way Trigger does things.

Shounen escalation is pretty much to be expected, because, well, that's how these shows are plotted out. The way it' was written, however, made it more of a lurch than a shift.

Ferrio

Banned

They switched, but they wrapped up the plot points. In killlakill they switched and just brushed aside that stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
Did the show really have that much plot points to begin with .
They whole thing base of her getting revenge he for her dad and the life fibers .

I just get the feeling they had different plans for the series in the beginning

Examples:.
-The Tsumugu stuff
-The senketsu can only talk to Ryuuko
-The ryuuko monster transformation
-The scissor blades never really doing anything.

I mean they explain a few of those on the end episode, but I think that was more they were trying to tie up stuff so people would have closure and less what they had originally planned.

-The Tsumugu stuff

I mean they explain a few of those on the end episode, but I think that was more they were trying to tie up stuff so people would have closure and less what they had originally planned.

I think they did explain a few of those
Examples
senketsu was made for Ryuuko which explain why she could only hear him . in the end he become more that just clothes which is why other people could hear him .
ryuuko monster transformation is why she out of control and the life fibers take over here instead of them work together .

ckohler

I like how the ending credits honnou is just a regular city now. No more crazy class warfare.

Actually,
Honnou was dismantled. Isn't the city in the final end credits the one nearby that you go through before taking the bridge to Honnou? There is a shot at the beginning of the credits that shows where Honnou was and the bridge leading out into the water that goes no-where now.

Ferrio

Banned
I think they did explain a few of those
Examples
senketsu was made for Ryuuko which explain why she could only hear him in the end he become more that just cloths which is why other people could here him .
ryuuko monster transformation is why she out of control and the life fibers take over here instead of then work together .

Like I said yes they explained them but I don't buy it that it was their original intent.

The early episodes seem they didn't know quite where they wanted to take the show, once they hit the halfway mark they figured out where they were going to take it and had to try to explain the stuff they introduced in the beginning. Some they did, some they just kinda left hanging.

LordCanti

-The Tsumugu stuff

I want to know at what point, if any, they abandoned
Aikuro being Satsuki and Ryuko's Dad.

Just finished the show. Twas pretty good, got kinda similar to gurren lagann towards the end. Giant mega ship headquarters thing, final boss
in space
, even a rephrased "Make the impossible possible" but this time its "Not making sense is our thing". Not anywhere near as awesome as TTGL imo, but it still was pretty darn good for what it was. I wasn't annoyed by the shift in tone for the series like most people here were.

The ending was pretty open ended so I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a second season.

Eusis

Huh?
The opening sequence showed Honnou was located in Tokyo Bay, and in the ending you can see it... then just a rippling, empty body of water in an immediate scene change as if it were sunk or something. Pretty sure they're just in regular old Tokyo afterwards.

And I guess the other academies thing is a plot point they forgot about, probably was originally meant to escalate to that after the club angle was exhausted, but that got messed with and became the Osaka attack.

LordCanti

I think pretty much half the cast used to be related to Ryuuko. Tsumugu, Aikuro, Nui were all her family at one point.

Nui...mmm...
kind of her half-sister? She's got Ragyo's DNA, or at least one would assume so since she calls Ragyo mama. The specifics of how Nui came to be are kind of unclear beyond the fact that we know Ragyo did something to the original life fiber to make it gestate Nui inside of it.

But yeah, probably. There are some pretty huge red herrings in there.

Aikuro doesn't want to wear clothes dammit.

Top Bottom