• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

bobawesome

Here's a gallery: http://m.imgur.com/a/hthsN

You can see it's mostly just refinement, though there is at least one error correction (the outfit that Ryuuko's wearing in one of mako's Hallelujah moments), and in the early flashback scene of Ryuuko seeing the killer escape the shadow was made to look like
Nui

Oh, thank god this was changed. This bothered me so much.

Jex

Call ME crazy, but I think we're supposed to see the flashbacks from Ryuko's perspective. She
subconsciously makes a connection between Satsuki and the killer and that is reflected in her flashback, fooling the audience in the process as well. Plus, making the silhouette look someone completely different would have removed any possible suspicions and tension at the moment.

Just a thought.

Well, looks like Trigger thought they had to fix it:

killakillerz3kar.png

This is a pretty crazy change, all things considered.

Giolon

Well, looks like Trigger thought they had to fix it:

This is a pretty crazy change, all things considered.

this kind of proves my theory that their better than expected popularity cause them to change the script on the fly.

Actually, I misspoke earlier. This scene change isn't from the first episode - that flashback memory is still the same. This change is from Episode
when the silhouette was previously made to look exactly like Satsuki. This is the episode where Nui first shows up. I really don't see it as evidence of a re-write.

In the first episode, there is no change for the shadow listed so it presumably still looks like this:

(Source: Crunchyroll stream)

Further, I saw the dub yesterday at AX, and that's what the shadow still looked like. Presumably they're using the BD version for the US production (which BTW, goes on sale today @ AX 10 days early, woo!)

Chariot

Actually, I misspoke earlier. This scene change isn't from the first episode - that flashback memory is still the same. This change is from Episode
when the silhouette was made to look exactly like Satsuki.

In the first episode, there is no change for the shadow listed so it presumably still looks like this:

Further, I saw the dub yesterday at AX, and that's what the shadow still looked like. Presumably they're using the BD version for the US production (which BTW, goes on sale today @ AX 10 days early, woo!)
Oh, much ado about nothing then. That's fine.
Thanks for clarifying.

this kind of proves my theory that their better than expected popularity cause them to change the script on the fly.

They've pretty much admitted that things changed tremendously during production in terms of the plot.

That Nui change makes sense, all things considered. OG Gamagoori fan-girl is totes better, though.

I really hope the English dub sounds better than the trailer, but I think that was just "Ok, you're cast! Read these subs because we need a trailer, like yesterday!"

ckohler

I was there. I saw (heard?) it. It's definitely a competent dub. The adaptation flows relatively naturally (for an anime dub), and the characters and tone are mostly maintained from the Japanese version.

The voices that I feel are the weakest are Aikuro, Senketsu, and Satsuki. They all don't quite seem to match up with the Japanese as well as the other. Senketsu seems to have a different type of take entirely, but I could get used to it. Satsuki just doesn't have the same deep intonation as the Japanese voice actress (whom I learned this weekend has a much higher natural speaking voice). It makes her sound less intimidating and more like just a girl yelling at you.

Gamgoori, Nonon, Sanageyama, and Mako feel particularly on point.

In other note, Ami Koshimizu is still freaking adorable and both she and Ryoka Yuzuki are hilarious together. Sushio basically stole the stage though. Dude is an attention whore and an absolute clown - and I say that with the greatest affection.

Trivia - either Ami is very tall, or Ryoka is super short, b/c Ami was at least a half a head taller while she was wearing Ryuuko's flats and Ryoka was in Satsuki's high heel boots.
How was Mako in particular? Was she still funny, adorable and endearing? Also, does Aikuro do two different voices? One for when he's pretending to be a scruffy teacher and another when he is his normal, sexy sensei?

KLKShadow.png

The irony is not that they hadn't correct the blade's color, but that they had redrawn the sequence when they already had the perfect silhouette: it's enough vague to be either Satsuki or Nui!

Chariot

The irony is not that they hadn't correct the blade's color, but that they had redrawn the sequence when they already had the perfect silhouette: it's enough vague to be either Satsuki or Nui!
As he wrote, they didn't change that.
They changed another sequence, where it was clearly Satsuki, but Ryokou knew at this point already that it was Nui.

Dead

well not really...yet
I was there. I saw (heard?) it. It's definitely a competent dub. The adaptation flows relatively naturally (for an anime dub), and the characters and tone are mostly maintained from the Japanese version.

The voices that I feel are the weakest are Aikuro, Senketsu, and Satsuki. They all don't quite seem to match up with the Japanese as well as the other. Senketsu seems to have a different type of take entirely, but I could get used to it. Satsuki just doesn't have the same deep intonation as the Japanese voice actress (whom I learned this weekend has a much higher natural speaking voice). It makes her sound less intimidating and more like just a girl yelling at you.

In other note, Ami Koshimizu is still freaking adorable and both she and Ryoka Yuzuki are hilarious together. Sushio basically stole the stage though. Dude is an attention whore and an absolute clown - and I say that with the greatest affection.

Trivia - either Ami is very tall, or Ryoka is super short, b/c Ami was at least a half a head taller while she was wearing Ryuuko's flats and Ryoka was in Satsuki's high heel boots.
I literally can't imagine how an English va of nonon can be anything but a disappointment.

abadguy

Banned

Well it's good to hear that the dub is at least decent. Still i think Tabitha St Germain would have been great for Satsuki.

As he wrote, they didn't change that.
They changed another sequence, where it was clearly Satsuki, but Ryokou knew at this point already that it was Nui.

I knew, but they could reuse the shadow in that sequence - and morphing in that of Nui during the zoom in. Oh well.

Frog-fu

Banned
I started to watch this on Netflix and stopped when I found out the series hasn't been fully released on Blu-ray in Japan. Does that mean what is on Netflix is the broadcast version of the series? I'm assuming the Blu-ray release has improvements.

Don't bother buying the blu-ray though, not worth the money imo. I found this anime to be terribly mediocre.

Giolon

TYhQegO.gif

Here's a picture of the volume 1 limited edition contents, courtesy of thedigitalsin from the Fandom Post forums:

attachment.php

source: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?31852-KILL-la-KILL-Vol-1/page5

No chipboard box, not there was any doubt at this point.

Uh, it absolutely does have a chipboard (see http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119851997&postcount=10717) box that the contents come in, unless I've misunderstood what that means all along. I bought the LE today and will post a photo of it when I get home tomorrow. (I can't see the included picture, and if I follow the link it requires registration.) I'm super happy with the contents of the LE. It's got the BD, DVD, Soundtrack CD, 2 BD cases containing the reversible art from the Japanese vol 1 & 2, the chipboard sleeve has vol 1 cover on 1 side, vol 2 on the other, postcards with the vol 1 & 2 cover art, the two key visuals used to advertise before the launch of the show, as well as one of Satsuki and the elite four and one of Ryuuko and transformed Senketsu. The discs also have the textless OP (for both EP 2 and 3), textless ED, the web version of the previews for the relevant episodes. I absolutely think it's worth getting over just the BD alone, esp when the price difference is only $20, but obviously opinions will vary as different people value different things.

On a separate note, I was able to ask a question at the KLK panel today to Nakashima which the audience seemed to appreciate.

I asked, "Early on in the series, there was a lot of importance that seemed to be given to the special starch bullet, but we never got to see it used. Was there any other version of the story where it was used, what were its effects, and would it have worked on Ragyo?"

And the answer that was relayed through the translator was, "In episode 15, Mikisugi uses the bullet on Satsuki, but it was completely ineffective. Since the bullet was one of a kind, it's lost forever."

Not exactly what I asked, but still a good answer I think especially given that it addresses a major complaint of many around here that the bullet was shown and never used. Supposedly it was used, and now I'm going to have to go re-visit Episode 15 to see if I can find that moment.

bobawesome

Uh, it absolutely does have a chipboard box that the contents come in, unless I've misunderstood what that means all along. I bought the LE today and will post a photo of it when I get home tomorrow. (I can't see the included picture, and if I follow the link it requires registration.) I'm super happy with the contents of the LE. It's got the BD, DVD, Soundtrack CD, 2 BD cases containing the reversible art from the Japanese vol 1 & 2, the chipboard sleeve has vol 1 cover on 1 side, vol 2 on the other, postcards with the vol 1 & 2 cover art, the two key visuals used to advertise before the launch of the show, as well as one of Satsuki and the elite four and one of Ryuuko and transformed Senketsu. The discs also have the textless OP (for both EP 2 and 3), textless ED, the web version of the previews for the relevant episodes. I absolutely think it's worth getting over just the BD alone, esp when the price difference is only $20, but obviously opinions will vary as different people value different things.

On a separate note, I was able to ask a question at the KLK panel today to Nakashima which the audience seemed to appreciate.

I asked, "Early on in the series, there was a lot of importance that seemed to be given to the special starch bullet, but we never got to see it used. Was there any other version of the story where it was used, what were its effects, and would it have worked on Ragyo?"

And the answer that was relayed through the translator was, "In episode 15, Mikisugi uses the bullet on Satsuki, but it was completely ineffective. Since the bullet was one of a kind, it's lost forever."

Not exactly what I asked, but still a good answer I think especially given that it addresses a major complaint of many around here that the bullet was shown and never used. Supposedly it was used, and now I'm going to have to go re-visit Episode 15 to see if I can find that moment.

GRcDWyl.jpg

Does this picture show up for you? I didn't mean to offend you or spread false information if I'm incorrect. I was just basing my assumption on what the user in this other forum posted and speculation that has been floating around since the limited editions were first revealed. Aniplex has gone back and forth on their packaging styles over the years so it didn't sound out of the ordinary when I heard they were doing something more reminiscent of the Madoka Magica limited edition sets.

Satch

Banned
i just finished watching the whole series 10 minutes ago

Gamagoori >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your fave

Giolon

GRcDWyl.jpg

Does this picture show up for you? I didn't mean to offend you or spread false information if I'm incorrect. I was just basing my assumption on what the user in this other forum posted and speculation that has been floating around since the limited editions were first revealed. Aniplex has gone back and forth on their packaging styles over the years so it didn't sound out of the ordinary when I heard they were doing something more reminiscent of the Madoka Magica limited edition sets.

Yep, this image is showing up! The top-left image is the chipboard box that everything comes in. They're showing both sides. That's two of them laid next to each other, b/c the front has the Vol 1 cover on it and the back has Vol 2.

chugen

i saw the name kill la bill on the gaming side and after reading the op started watching. i just finished episode 11 and...

g1foR6S.gif

N2OetJH.gif

episode 12 here i come

ckohler

Enjoy the ride, Chugen.

Wait, so they were selling the English BluRays at AnimeExpo? Was it just volume one (first 4 episodes)?

ckohler

Barf at those male Ryuko cosplayers. :p

Yeah. They went on sale on Saturday which is something like 10 days before the official release. It was just Vol. 1.

Edit: Also, here's a photo showing the chipboard box:

Do you mind giving us a mini-review? So far what we've seen has been pretty vague and only about the first episode. I'd like to know how the rest of Mako's family sounds.

Giolon

Barf at those male Ryuko cosplayers. :p

Do you mind giving us a mini-review? So far what we've seen has been pretty vague and only about the first episode. I'd like to know how the rest of Mako's family sounds.

How was Mako in particular? Was she still funny, adorable and endearing? Also, does Aikuro do two different voices? One for when he's pretending to be a scruffy teacher and another when he is his normal, sexy sensei?

That guy in the beard asked a question at the KLK panel. The KLK staff thought it was hilarious. Either he or the person before him asked a question along the lines of "Why did you make the Kamui outfits the way you did?" and Sushio said "Because I wanted to see the sexy cosplayers!" (to which one of the other two said "We have to say Trigger refutes that answer," and when the beared guy got up there Sushio said "That's not the sexy cosplay I had in mind!"

Speaking of cosplayers, there was a KLK cosplay contest at the Crunchyroll booth judged by the KLK staff. The winning ones were final outfit Nonon (yes, that outfit with the heart) and Tsumugu, with a special prize winner chosen by Eir Aoi going to a Ragyo. I've got some photos but due to some stupid camera misconfiguration, they only came out so-so. I'm sure pics will pop up on the web before too long.

As for the dub, sure. I've watched three episodes of it now. My impressions from the trailer have largely held up. Namely, the Elite 4 sounds awesome. I think Mako sounds pretty great, and I thought that would be one of the hardest to adapt compared to the Japanese version.

Satsuki I was a little iffy on from the trailer, and even after watching only the first episode at the special event, it just didn't jive for me. It sounds too much like I'm being yelled at by a little girl (which, admittedly she is, but her Japanese VA gives her such an intimidating low register). However, after hearing her performance in episodes 2 & 3, I'm mostly sold. The VA does a great job bringing through Satsuki's determination and spirit.

Ryuuko I was also iffy on from the trailer, but I think she's mostly solid. Overall, it's a little too artificially harsh and throaty of a performance in trying to convey her general pissed-off attitude.

Mako's family is alright. I do like Sukuyo's but it's a very "anime mom" voice. Barazo was fine, not noteworthy positive or negative.

The two performances that were the worst are Mikisugi and Senketsu. Mikisugi doesn't use quite as dramatically different voices for his two personas, but there is a subtle difference in the way he speaks between the two. Overall though the problem is his delivery is mostly flat. And Senketsu, I just don't like at all. It's hard for me to say what I think is wrong with it, but I feel it just doesn't fit. The line he says in their preview trailer is example enough for that IMO.

Other minor characters have been good, Fukuroda in the first episode, Hakodate in the 2nd. Overall, I'm impressed that the dub came out as well as it did. I thought this would be an extremely hard show to dub since the Japanese performances are so iconic to fans of the show. It's never going to win over sub purists, but it's at the least a competent dub IMO. While watching it in English, I felt like this was something that would easily fit on Toonami (assuming they figure that the late night time slot is enough to handle the quasi-nudity).

ckohler

Thanks for the info, Giolon! I'm really glad to know Mako works in English. Perky bubblehead is something that could easily be annoying if done wrong.

Sorry to hear about Senketsu not working, though. I'll keep an open mind once I get the BD. To be honest, I didn't mind his voice in the trailer. Yes, it's way too young sounding but other than being different I didn't mind what little I heard.

Giolon

Thanks for the picture, I appreciate it.

You're welcome; however, I did some research around and apparently chipboard is something very specific. After doing that I went and found I do have one Blu-ray with actual chipboard - the Fujiko Mine limited edition. It's thicker than the KLK case, which perhaps instead seems to be made of heavy paper akin to index cards or manila folders.

So, it turns out, you were right, and I was wrong. I still appreciate the case the discs came in. It looks nice, even if it's not as thick as actual chipboard, and since it's matte and not glossy, it doesn't look cheap to me.

I was at AX and 60 bucks for like 3 episodes....

motherfucking aniplex. The same company that has gurren lagan for 500 bucks bluray.

Saw tons of Kill La Kill cosplay and I was there as well with the pics posted above. The chick was very friendly and uh playful? She suggested an ass-shot and they did that pose as well. Other outstanding cosplays were the MK2 Nonon, Fight Club Mako, and this one japanese dude cosplaying as Gamagori. If I remember, will try to upload some pics. I have 900+ pics but they are all shitty s4 galaxy phone camera pics.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That guy in the beard asked a question at the KLK panel. The KLK staff thought it was hilarious. Either he or the person before him asked a question along the lines of "Why did you make the Kamui outfits the way you did?" and Sushio said "Because I wanted to see the sexy cosplayers!" (to which one of the other two said "We have to say Trigger refutes that answer," and when the beared guy got up there Sushio said "That's not the sexy cosplay I had in mind!"

Speaking of cosplayers, there was a KLK cosplay contest at the Crunchyroll booth judged by the KLK staff. The winning ones were final outfit Nonon (yes, that outfit with the heart) and Tsumugu, with a special prize winner chosen by Eir Aoi going to a Ragyo. I've got some photos but due to some stupid camera misconfiguration, they only came out so-so. I'm sure pics will pop up on the web before too long.

As for the dub, sure. I've watched three episodes of it now. My impressions from the trailer have largely held up. Namely, the Elite 4 sounds awesome. I think Mako sounds pretty great, and I thought that would be one of the hardest to adapt compared to the Japanese version.

Satsuki I was a little iffy on from the trailer, and even after watching only the first episode at the special event, it just didn't jive for me. It sounds too much like I'm being yelled at by a little girl (which, admittedly she is, but her Japanese VA gives her such an intimidating low register). However, after hearing her performance in episodes 2 & 3, I'm mostly sold. The VA does a great job bringing through Satsuki's determination and spirit.

Ryuuko I was also iffy on from the trailer, but I think she's mostly solid. Overall, it's a little too artificially harsh and throaty of a performance in trying to convey her general pissed-off attitude.

Mako's family is alright. I do like Sukuyo's but it's a very "anime mom" voice. Barazo was fine, not noteworthy positive or negative.

The two performances that were the worst are Mikisugi and Senketsu. Mikisugi doesn't use quite as dramatically different voices for his two personas, but there is a subtle difference in the way he speaks between the two. Overall though the problem is his delivery is mostly flat. And Senketsu, I just don't like at all. It's hard for me to say what I think is wrong with it, but I feel it just doesn't fit. The line he says in their preview trailer is example enough for that IMO.

Other minor characters have been good, Fukuroda in the first episode, Hakodate in the 2nd. Overall, I'm impressed that the dub came out as well as it did. I thought this would be an extremely hard show to dub since the Japanese performances are so iconic to fans of the show. It's never going to win over sub purists, but it's at the least a competent dub IMO. While watching it in English, I felt like this was something that would easily fit on Toonami (assuming they figure that the late night time slot is enough to handle the quasi-nudity).

Well, it had to be done.

btFFx01.png

bobawesome

You're welcome; however, I did some research around and apparently chipboard is something very specific. After doing that I went and found I do have one Blu-ray with actual chipboard - the Fujiko Mine limited edition. It's thicker than the KLK case, which perhaps instead seems to be made of heavy paper akin to index cards or manila folders.

So, it turns out, you were right, and I was wrong. I still appreciate the case the discs came in. It looks nice, even if it's not as thick as actual chipboard, and since it's matte and not glossy, it doesn't look cheap to me.

It's still a nice looking case, as you've said. So long as it looks good on the shelf and holds the discs it's fine in my book. Thanks for the clarification, I can't wait to finally have my copy.

Unbounded

Started watching this show on the weekend, finished today.

That was one fuck of a ride. I mean goddamn.

Also, OP 2 is freakin' great.

Top Bottom