• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Giolon

just google Comiket nonon

Obviously NSFW

its pretty obvious its the nudist beach one

That's not even the most NSFW Nonon cosplay I've seen (at least not from the perspective of that photo) in person. There was one at Anime Expo in Symphony Regalia Finale that won the KLK cosplay contest (judged by the show creators) that even Sushio was like "I was so ashamed for making that outfit. I thought it was really bad, but you did a great job bringing it to life!". I was thinking "That is some epic levels of bravery to wear that around in public right there." Ditto for the girl that won cosplaying Ragyo.

That's not even the most NSFW Nonon cosplay I've seen (at least not from the perspective of that photo) in person. There was one at Anime Expo in Symphony Regalia Finale that won the KLK cosplay contest (judged by the show creators) that even Sushio was like "I was so ashamed for making that outfit. I thought it was really bad, but you did a great job bringing it to life!". I was thinking "That is some epic levels of bravery to wear that around in public right there." Ditto for the girl that won cosplaying Ragyo.

pics please. I was at AX and didn't see that haha

MetalDeer

When's the OVA set to come out, anyways? If anyone even knows, that is.

Really had fun watching this show. I probably wouldn't have seen it without this thread. I didn't have an account here back when it started last Fall, but it gave me something to look forward to every Thursday after classes, can't wait for the OVA, even if it's short.

Hopefully Aniplex releases a box set that's somewhat affordable (Yeah, right).
Aniplex plz

bobawesome

When's the OVA set to come out, anyways? If anyone even knows, that is.

The OVA's release date is the 3rd of September.

Hopefully Aniplex releases a box set that's somewhat affordable (Yeah, right).
Aniplex plz

giphy.gif

This won't happen for quite some time. And as for affordable, you already know.

RubyFaith

Read this thread up to the final episode reactions/reviews. Hilarious and insightful stuff.

I finished this anime last week and I could not write up my own review because the only word(s) that came into my head was: Ridiculous.

But I enjoyed it for what it was and I guess I have to watch TTGL everyone kept mentioning.

Zeroth

Read this thread up to the final episode reactions/reviews. Hilarious and insightful stuff.

I finished this anime last week and I could not write up my own review because the only word(s) that came into my head was: Ridiculous.

But I enjoyed it for what it was and I guess I have to watch TTGL everyone kept mentioning.

Yes.

AniHawk

i just finished ttgl myself. it gave me a newfound appreciation for kill la kill. i did enjoy it though, and i recommend watching it.

Hero

I have read your post. I think Ryuko is a terrible main character. She lets her emotions control her throughout the entire show and throws everyone to the side in the process repeatedly. I'm also interested in your thoughts on Nia, considering Nui is basically just an evil version of her that comes out of no where just to be the constant overwhelming force for no apparent reason.

KLK was fun but it was rushed and it was obvious how they altered the direction of the show from its original plot. Even looking aside technical or story issues, there was not a single moment in the series that matched up to the epic moments in TTGL.

AniHawk

I have read your post. I think Ryuko is a terrible main character. She lets her emotions control her throughout the entire show and throws everyone to the side in the process repeatedly. I'm also interested in your thoughts on Nia, considering Nui is basically just an evil version of her that comes out of no where just to be the constant overwhelming force for no apparent reason.

KLK was fun but it was rushed and it was obvious how they altered the direction of the show from its original plot. Even looking aside technical or story issues, there was not a single moment in the series that matched up to the epic moments in TTGL.

i'm okay if side characters are fairly one-note, as long as the main characters engage me. i'm also one of the people who actually likes korra as a character in the legend of korra. ryuko isn't quite as heartless as you make out. there are many times where she does what she thinks is best for her friends, even letting mako beat the crap out of her and letting herself get cut in two. emotional? sure. to a fault? i'd say so, but not irredeemable, no.

for nui, i was okay with her mid-series introduction because she was actually tied with ragyo pretty closely. and the person who we needed to really dislike was ragyo and the show made it really easy to do that. so i'm okay if nui is kind of one-note herself. it's not quite like the sudden appearance of the big bad with 5 episodes left to go in each portion of gurren lagann.

the two best moments in each respective show were the sibling love between satsuki and ryuko and the brotherly love between simon and kamina. i basically said in my post that kill la kill never reaches the emotional highs as gurren lagann, but i prefer its consistency. kill la kill also doesn't have the garbage regarding nia in the second half, someone who gets fridged with the sole purpose of making us sad. what happened with senketsu felt more earned and made more sense from what the show had built over 26 episodes. the stuff with nia really casts a bad shadow over the later part of gurren lagann for me. it just comes across as lazy.

Hero

i'm okay if side characters are fairly one-note, as long as the main characters engage me. i'm also one of the people who actually likes korra as a character in the legend of korra. ryuko isn't quite as heartless as you make out. there are many times where she does what she thinks is best for her friends, even letting mako beat the crap out of her and letting herself get cut in two. emotional? sure. to a fault? i'd say so, but not irredeemable, no.

I mean, Ryuko has some charm and personality to her but it just took her way too long to grow up. Simon acted a lot like she did by trying to be the only one that did anything while trying to protect everyone. This only lasted for an episode or two whereas Ryuko did it for well over half the series of KLK. If the situations were reversed I don't see how people wouldn't complain about it. And don't get me started on Korra. Such a two dimensional character across three seasons is a joke.

for nui, i was okay with her mid-series introduction because she was actually tied with ragyo pretty closely. and the person who we needed to really dislike was ragyo and the show made it really easy to do that. so i'm okay if nui is kind of one-note herself. it's not quite like the sudden appearance of the big bad with 5 episodes left to go in each portion of gurren lagann.
I don't know, KLK's endgame just didn't sit well with me. It was just "oh yeah we're going to destroy Earth." It just doesn't strike me as much as TTGL's did, where they totally came up with something unexpected. While they might've only showed up in the last few episodes it was at least foreshadowed of the existence of
Anti-Spirals as soon as Lord Genome was defeated.
the two best moments in each respective show were the sibling love between satsuki and ryuko and the brotherly love between simon and kamina. i basically said in my post that kill la kill never reaches the emotional highs as gurren lagann, but i prefer its consistency. kill la kill also doesn't have the garbage regarding nia in the second half, someone who gets fridged with the sole purpose of making us sad. what happened with senketsu felt more earned and made more sense from what the show had built over 26 episodes. the stuff with nia really casts a bad shadow over the later part of gurren lagann for me. it just comes across as lazy.

I felt the Satuski x Ryuko sisterly thing was extremely forced and it felt like a bad soap opera. Kamina and Simon was way more genuine and they weren't even related by blood.

I would also say that other than the last meeting between them that Simon defeating Lord Genome, Kittan's sacrifice and Lord Genome's sacrifice in the final battle were all more epic and thrilling than anything KLK ever put out.

Regarding Nia's death, were you equally as bothered by Senketsu's death at the end then?

AniHawk

I mean, Ryuko has some charm and personality to her but it just took her way too long to grow up. Simon acted a lot like she did by trying to be the only one that did anything while trying to protect everyone. This only lasted for an episode or two whereas Ryuko did it for well over half the series of KLK. If the situations were reversed I don't see how people wouldn't complain about it. And don't get me started on Korra. Such a two dimensional character across three seasons is a joke.

well korra's development made a good deal of sense to me, but i think that between the shows i put more scrutiny on her by the virtue of klk being more satire while korra is kind of an homage to various things. i've discussed korra at length recently too.

the difference, and i mean big difference between simon and korra/ryuko is that korra and ryuko are doing the things they feel they have to do. korra sets off on her adventure in season 1. ryuko sets out for revenge at the start of kill la kill. simon tags along with kamina in gurren lagann. it's not so much about him not growing up as much as it is not having anything to develop from. he is a zero for basically the first half and suddenly this guy with experience and a history and things he wants to do in the second half. him wanting to marry nia is basically the first original thought he has throughout the entire show.

I don't know, KLK's endgame just didn't sit well with me. It was just "oh yeah we're going to destroy Earth." It just doesn't strike me as much as TTGL's did, where they totally came up with something unexpected. While they might've only showed up in the last few episodes it was at least foreshadowed of the existence of
Anti-Spirals as soon as Lord Genome was defeated.

it's actually the same thing. both involve plots to destroy the world, and both are woven into the fabric of the story from the start. with kill la kill, it's clothing, and with gurren lagann it's the underground pits to keep humanity oppressed but safe. i don't think either one is more sudden or makes inherently less sense than the other, although kill la kill's is more fun, especially how that relates to human evolution and why we still wear clothes.

I felt the Satuski x Ryuko sisterly thing was extremely forced and it felt like a bad soap opera. Kamina and Simon was way more genuine and they weren't even related by blood.

there were moments where before episode 26 where they were forcing it, and that was intentional. the moment when satsuki finally gets emotional to save ryuko? that resonated really well for me. it wasn't her just saying she was happy to have ryuko as a sister, it was backed up with frantic, hoarse-voiced action.

I would also say that other than the last meeting between them that Simon defeating Lord Genome, Kittan's sacrifice and Lord Genome's sacrifice in the final battle were all more epic and thrilling than anything KLK ever put out.

and i would say that mako asking ryuko out for a date was more thrilling than any of those moments. this is what the final few episodes of gurren lagann started amounting to for me:
PBF186-Guntron_Alliance_Force.jpg

there was a real sense of diminishing returns as they started getting rid of the random people who took up screen time but were never given any character development.

Regarding Nia's death, were you equally as bothered by Senketsu's death at the end then?

i already said i was not.
nia's death is garbage because she's introduced in the story only so she can die. in the first half she is funny enough and good as a companion and friend for simon. then they try and tell me that the two have been going out for seven years and that i need to care that she's a bad guy. but not only that- she was the bad guy the whole time, and she can never be human again... suddenly...! senketsu was there from the start of the show, the male protagonist, and if the life fibers were to disappear, it wasn't as sudden a concept as it was for nia to be an anti-spiral out of nowhere, like six episodes after her introduction.

that's why i think it should have been yoko, or some sort of combination between yoko and nia. i remember a moment in the movie called the strangers, in which you see liv tyler crawling on the grass towards a shed where she can get away from these crazed killers. then behind her you see one of the killers walking up as if to murder her, and when she looks behind her, the dude's gone. it's a scary moment for the audience, but it's only a scary moment for the audience. it's style without substance. that's what nia was. although to be fair, it's pretty much what every female character in the show was.

Just preordered the bluray for UK.

Can't wait for season 2, but had to rely on us Netflix to see it.

How did other British kill la kill fans watch the first season? Really want to watch the second one as it happens!

So whats up with the prices on the English dub blue ray? Its on amazon for 60 something bucks and its run time is only 100 minutes. So I assume it have like what 4-5 volumes? Am I missing something or is that how anime is priced now?

MetalDeer

So whats up with the prices on the English dub blue ray? Its on amazon for 60 something bucks and its run time is only 100 minutes. So I assume it have like what 4-5 volumes? Am I missing something or is that how anime is priced now?

That's just what our friends at Aniplex like to do. Funimation Blu-rays are usually pretty cheap. I haven't really looked at Blu-ray prices all that much, though. But yeah, generally, with a lot of releases, they realize it's niche so they mark up the price, knowing people will probably pay up.

Magwik

Banned

Well it's being sold by a third party for that price. The retail is supposed to be $50.

That's just what our friends at Aniplex like to do. Funimation Blu-rays are usually pretty cheap. I haven't really looked at Blu-ray prices all that much, though. But yeah, generally, with a lot of releases, they realize it's niche so they mark up the price, knowing people will probably pay up.

That really sucks, may keep me from checking out the series. I'm a causal fan and only check out stuff that gets a lot of buzz. Most times i'm picking up blue rays for like 30-40 bucks for the whole thing. This is gonna end up what 150? 200? Nah

Well it's being sold by a third party for that price. The retail is supposed to be $50.

If I can find it for that price I might check it out.

MetalDeer

That really sucks, may keep me from checking out the series. I'm a causal fan and only check out stuff that gets a lot of buzz. Most times i'm picking up blue rays for like 30-40 bucks for the whole thing. This is gonna end up what 150? 200? Nah

Yeah, it really does. There's a bunch of Funimation stuff for dirt cheap on Amazon, if you're interested in any of their shows.

If I can find it for that price I might check it out.

I think he might be talking about the same release, which is $50 for 4 episode (lol). Not sure, though.

Yeah, it really does. There's a bunch of Funimation stuff for dirt cheap on Amazon, if you're interested in any of their shows.

I think he might be talking about the same release, which is $50 for 4 episode (lol). Not sure, though.

What should I check out? I'm open to anything "good". Not huge into anime but got some hunger for it right now. And wow 4 shows a disc? Assuming it has the same 24 episode anime season thing thats gonna end up to be very pricey. The official website gots it for 40 bucks though. Almost tempted at that price

MetalDeer

What should I check out? I'm open to anything "good". Not huge into anime but got some hunger for it right now. And wow 4 shows a disc? Assuming it has the same 24 episode anime season thing thats gonna end up to be very pricey. The official website gots it for 40 bucks though. Almost tempted at that price

If you're talking about this, that's only episodes 1-4.

Not all too sure what you're interested in watching, but to list a few, Samurai Champloo, Welcome to the NHK, FLCL, Steins;Gate (My personal favorite), and Black Lagoon are all $40 or less on Amazon. There's a bunch more, but for the price they're asking, it's basically a steal, if you ask me. It's mostly Aniplex that does the price gouging, I think.

If you're talking about this, that's only episodes 1-4.

Not all too sure what you're interested in watching, but to list a few, Samurai Champloo, Welcome to the NHK, FLCL, Steins;Gate (My personal favorite), and Black Lagoon are all $40 or less on Amazon. There's a bunch more, but for the price they're asking, it's basically a steal, if you ask me. It's mostly Aniplex that does the price gouging, I think.

Yeah I know it only the first 4 episodes but still since so many people are talking about this Kill la Kill i'm gonna have to see ti at some point. Thought google says its on hulu but not sure if thats the dub or sub.

Did just order Steins;Gate box set. I seen FLCL, Black Lagoon, and Samurai Champloo already. Maybe i need to get over fear of sub titles, someday.......

MetalDeer

Yeah I know it only the first 4 episodes but still since so many people are talking about this Kill la Kill i'm gonna have to see ti at some point. Thought google says its on hulu but not sure if thats the dub or sub.

Did just order Steins;Gate box set. I seen FLCL, Black Lagoon, and Samurai Champloo already. Maybe i need to get over fear of sub titles, someday.......

I'm not sure what the latest news on the dub is, I don't know if it's even finished yet. It is on Hulu, but that's all subs.

When there's a choice, I usually pick dub, unless it's extraordinarily bad, but I can tolerate subs. I don't like having to read for the whole episode and potentially have to go back to actually watch the scene. Kill la Kill isn't huge on exposition, though, so you can keep up with just a quick glance at the subs. Have to start somewhere.

Top Bottom