• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Giolon

That episode was great. It was really nice of them to address
Rei's fate, and even her backstory!
It feels almost to me like this Episode was part of the plan all along but they either only ended up with time to complete the 24 for broadcast, or it was decided that Ep 24 provided a better emotional climax for the show and cut 25.

Good stuff. And now I'm sad, b/c there truly is no more Kill La Kill.

JulianImp

Poor Tsumugu was even more useless than usual this time around! Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Overall, the episode felt a bit formulaic at times, but it was still decent and tried to give everyone at least a bit of screentime. The gags were funny (the Mankanshokus "moving" and Mako
overriding the mecha-academy's controls
for a hallelujah spot were my favorites), and the action was decent, even though it relied a bit too much on everybody picking up the idiot ball until
Mako made them realize they had to put what they learned throughout the series to use against their past selves

Thematically, I'd say it worked quite well as the wrap-up episode it was meant to be, so it's a win in my book.

Poor Tsumugu was even more useless than usual this time around! Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Overall, the episode felt a bit formulaic at times, but it was still decent and tried to give everyone at least a bit of screentime. The gags were funny (the Mankanshokus "moving" and Mako
overriding the mecha-academy's controls
for a hallelujah spot were my favorites), and the action was decent, even though it relied a bit too much on everybody picking up the idiot ball until
Mako made them realize they had to put what they learned throughout the series to use against their past selves

Thematically, I'd say it worked quite well as the wrap-up episode it was meant to be, so it's a win in my book.
Remember when he was first introduced as a cool badass that could fuck anyone up? Then he became a joke...

JulianImp

Remember when he was first introduced as a cool badass that could fuck anyone up? Then he became a joke...

Yeah, that was one of my gripes with the show... the whole Nudist Beach thing began as a mysterious and cool secret organization we knew next to nothing about, then along came Tsumugu, beating just about everyone on his way to pinning Ryuuko down and nearly killing Senketsu; then there was the secret life-fiber bullet they almost used to put a stop to a berserk Senketsu's rampage... and then NB fell off the face of the Earth. In every appearance since then, they began looking a lot more like goofy sidekicks than cool, secretive guys who had lots of gadgets (they even wore clothes at first!), and finally they were just a literal group of nudists who happened to own a secret beach, and who were even less important than your average Honnouji Academy student.

It's one of the things that makes me believe the theory that says the show's script changed an awful lot during production, becoming something else entirely. It makes no sense that Tsumugu and Aikuro were scared about being reprimanded by some Nudist Beach higher-ups during some earlier episodes when by the end of the show it looked like they were the only two NB members that weren't just copy-pasted clones used, at best, as background filler.

mjontrix

The OVA was awesome - the end scenes really makes me believe
They could do a Season 2 or movie if they really wanted to

The episode itself was good - it had backstory, everyone was included except for
Dosh unless he was in a frame I missed
. The
Scissors coming from Space
was a bit weird but it suits the show just fine. But it's clear that the
Life Fibres
are still out there... maybe they'll get a shoutout in a future Trigger Studio Original...

Script meddling is to blame for that when they changed the course of the story halfway in Reference to NB. Also explains why he became a joke - they didn't have time to do extra character development in such a fast-paced show.

Nothing that they couldn't write back in or completely take out if they wanted. I still LOL at the bullet - they must have seriously forgotten all about it!

javac

Just watched the OVA. It was nice. Not what I was expecting again, but that's par for the course with Kill la Kill, but the thought is what counts and I can see what they were going for with it and I really appreciated it and liked it a lot. Was grinning the whole way through, and it was nice to see the over the top nature of KLK again after all this time. Thanks for the ride Trigger, I'll miss the cast and world of KLK, but life goes on and I'm glad I got to watch this awesome series. Until our paths meet again, take care!

mjontrix

the scissors of longinus

:)

Also we've hit the 1 million views count!

congratulations-o.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My partner & I watched the OVA on Saturday. It was really dumb, but in a way that I found charming and fun. Kind of like the rest of the show!

javac

WHAT’S INSIDE THE BOX? WHERE’S THE BBFC LOGO?

Packaging + Physical information:
  • Obi-wrap around the box (the red piece you see – all BBFC info will be on that and the spine of the rigid case)
  • Clean rigid box using similar artwork to the US but with UV spot gloss on characters so they’ll stand out.
  • 2-disc tray digipack (1 tray per side ala Bebop)
  • 188 page Keyart & Storyboard book, same size as case replicated 100% from the Japanese booklet in their Part 1.

What’s on the discs?
  • Episodes 1-9 complete with previews at the end of each video
  • Clean opening sequence
  • Clean closing sequence

Audio on disc:
  • English dub – 2.0 track
  • Japanese audio – 2.0 track

Subtitles:
  • English subtitles
  • English signs track in dub
The only difference between editions is one has Blu-Ray (£59.99 SRP) and one has DVD (£49.99 SRP)

WHY £59.99 / £49.99? ISN’T 3 PARTS A BIT TOO MUCH EVEN IF A COLLECTOR’S EDITION?
This one’s simple and we’ve had a lot of queries already and I want to make sure it’s absolutely clear about this one! This isn’t just one licensor but the industry is pushing to protect the Japanese market over the last few months especially and right now that involves:

1. Cancelling cheap editions Day 1
  2. Expanding the number of volumes (4 parts for Sword Art Online for example)
  3. Just holding back significantly vs release dates
  4. Holding certain extras back to protect value of Blu-Ray
So how did it get to this stage then, what are the benefits of the UK version?
We’re trying to find another way that benefits you guys and since we’re Region B, are a less tasty option for Japanese counter importation – we’ve tried to find some compromises. For us that meant 2 parts for Kill la Kill wasn’t an option really and instead we did the following:

1. Negotiated three parts instead of 5, allowing us to produce collector’s packaging.
  2. Negotiated a release date not so long after the second part of the US release.
  3. Managed to set a price point that while higher than a usual product, still gets you the best quality at the best price in current markets.
WHY NO STANDARD EDITION FOR NOW?
We actually looked at this and realistically if you have to pay £29.99 (the lowest conceivable we could charge vs the US even then it could not pass approval) you’d be paying between £59.97 and £74.97 to own the show after retail discount!

The result was we made a tough decision to try and make it available digitally as fast we can first – Netflix and Wakanim being key partners for this and we hope that makes the show watchable at the very least right now as we look at getting it up on other platforms too. We’ve not forgotten folks do want just a standard half season set or complete series in standard Amaray packaging and we do want to deliver that!

Realistically you are looking at end of 2015 though before we can do this – which isn’t actually so far after where releases used to be in the industry, although that doesn’t make it feel any better!

As soon as we can do this in a way that actually delivers value for that group of fans then we will – but there’s no point in doing it in a way that just alienates you guys further. It’s not our intention and of course we hope folks understand the logic.

WHAT HAVE YOU GOT PLANNED FOR PARTS 2 & 3?
We’ll update soon but you’re looking at books from the Japanese release per Part and ideally with the final part a box to store the whole series in depending on what assets we can clear as we want to do something incredible for you guys! More details as they come though :). Open to suggestions as always though!

WHERE CAN I BUY IT?
Blu-Ray:
Amazon has the Blu-Ray pegged at £43.25 just now here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MAKQVLK/
We’ve the Blu-Ray on our shop at the same price here: http://shop.alltheanime.com/collections/pre-orders/products/klk-bd1 – we’ve some more surprises to announce on that front too!
DVD:
Amazon has the DVD pegged at £36.00 just now here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MAKQXD6/
Our own store will list the DVD soon and we’ll run a promo as part of an upcoming pre-order drive we’ve got coming :) so watch this space!

Source: alltheanime

Giolon

Dat Protectionism. It really goes to show just how deathly afraid of reverse importation Japan is. It really doesn't seem like they care about their customers - just siphoning as much money as possible. At least the UK licensor has been up front about the reasons for their gouging.

bobawesome

Sigh. This looks so much better than the US release. Why oh why couldn't we at least get a chipboard box. Yeah, I'm still whining about this.

javac

Dat Protectionism. It really goes to show just how deathly afraid of reverse importation Japan is. It really doesn't seem like they care about their customers - just siphoning as much money as possible. At least the UK licensor has been up front about the reasons for their gouging.

Yeah it's a sticky situation. For me however I can respect the price and think it's a fair price. I've imported quite a few Blu-rays from Japan and they can run into the 100's with ease. That's not to say that this makes it okay, but it could be worse I guess! They've talked about releasing a cheaper version next year in any case. These are the same guys that are bringing Gurren Lagann on Blu-ray in the UK for a RRP of £150, and I've got it ordered for just under £80 so they are doing good work.

Sigh. This looks so much better than the US release. Why oh why couldn't we at least get a chipboard box. Yeah, I'm still whining about this.

The main things I'm disappointed with is the fact that it's missing the OST however they said they're working on some stuff, maybe they'll bring it with the other parts, or just bring OST2 or actually license the OST for UK release...or replace it with something else. I already own the OST but it would have been nice still :p

Also in other news, I got my Ryuko Phat figure today!

More

Kaname

Anime Limited said that they're thinking about putting all of that on a separate O-card or an obi something so they are thinking about it at least :)

Hopefully they'll manage something. I really don't like the desing of it lol I prefer more "clean" ones, with only the title and a couple of very small logos at best, not giant multi color things :p

I got the Bluray preordered from Amazon..

English Dub? Sigh part of me wants to watch it again in English just to see if the English Voice Overs capture the Characters...

I went in completely blind for the OVA, hoping for some sort of big after credits reveal. I didn't think I'd miss KLK as much as I do. :(

I only saw a few pictures from it before watching. It was so awesome and I really didn't expect
the academy to be basically a big mech
but I loved it. I think they may have kind of left it open at the end for more. I don't see why they wouldn't, the show appears to be very popular so I imagine a movie would be a good move, profit wise.

Giolon

The Aniplex Live Show starts any second now. Voice cast announcements incoming for the dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWNkZ1hnNYw&feature=youtu.be

Ragyo = Laura Post
Nui = Stephanie Sheh
Tsumugu = Kaiji Tang

I don't believe I'm familiar with any of them.

Damn missed the broadcast.

Stephanie Sheh is pretty prolific.

Disappointed at Ragyo not being Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, but the odds of that were low. Aniplex likes to work with the same VA's repeatedly (so do other companies like Funimation). Still, I'll reserve actual judgement until I hear the performance!

Articalys

Volumes 3 and 4 are set for release on December 23 and February 24, respectively. Same prices as the rest ($30 DVD, $40 BD, $60 BD/DVD LE)

http://www.killlakill.com/blu-ray_dvd/09.html
Volume 3 LE bonus contents said:
  • Original Soundtrack CD #2
  • Postcards
  • Double-sided Poster
  • Bushiroad's Weis Schwarz Exclusive Collectible PR Card Included!
  • (while supplies last)
http://www.killlakill.com/blu-ray_dvd/12.html
Volume 4 LE bonus contents said:
  • "Making Documentary" DVD #2
  • Postcards
  • Double-sided Poster
  • Bushiroad's Weis Schwarz Exclusive Collectible PR Card Included!
  • (while supplies last)

Giolon

Top Bottom