• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

bobawesome

Yeah I know it only the first 4 episodes but still since so many people are talking about this Kill la Kill i'm gonna have to see ti at some point. Thought google says its on hulu but not sure if thats the dub or sub.

Did just order Steins;Gate box set. I seen FLCL, Black Lagoon, and Samurai Champloo already. Maybe i need to get over fear of sub titles, someday.......

Good job. Steins;Gate is one of my favorite anime in recent memory.

Just peeped some of it on Hulu subbed. Really like it but I find my self watching the subs over the animation. Does aniplex have a history of putting out a box set after all the episodes are out? Might be able to swallow the price if I get all of the shows in one shot

mjontrix

Just peeped some of it on Hulu subbed. Really like it but I find my self watching the subs over the animation. Does aniplex have a history of putting out a box set after all the episodes are out? Might be able to swallow the price if I get all of the shows in one shot

Wait Ep25 is on Hulu?

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I'm still waiting on the OVA to be translated. But I watched the entire thing, and I actually think it was better than the Series Finale (in terms of the action sequences, the music, and just the actual way it ends). Of course, dialogue and context is really important, so maybe I won't feel that way once I have everything.

I'm just surprised, because usually
OVA's are just throwaway (either non-canon material, or the fan service variety where nothing happens). But here it feels like a second half to the series finale. Gah damn.

Puruzi

Banned
Watched the raw. Whole thing was great.
Was wondering why it looked so cheap, but then all the things happened and it was fucking awesome.

javac

Got this thing today! More pics. Look forward to seeing the OVA.

g2UYuiA.jpg

nnqQx4r.jpg

ZD9WD29.jpg

TUSR

Banned
Looks like subs will be happening sooner rather than later at this point.

Its unfortunate that the group that usually does this is being DDOS'ed or something.

mjontrix

I dunno how I will survive today without watching it!

Strong temptation!

Daiz should have a solution soon - he can still work on it even during DDOS.

NotLiquid

The OVA was alright, it mostly makes me think about what could have been.

A better anime would probably have incorporated most of the themes in this episode into the main run of episodes, as it stands this episode exists to do nothing but throw in unused cutting-room floor elements that everyone originally expected while also using it as a setup for an episode that's mostly about fanservice. Really what mostly bugs me about this episode is that the setup for conflict is mostly haphazard and it has another KLK patented exposition scene to justify it which is done so quickly and lazy that it's hard to empathize with why it happens.

But it does a decent enough job in finally attempting to show character development, particularly from the Elite Four. Unlike the previous episodes which made me frustrated that the urgency was on account of characters never being proactive enough, this one doesn't really have any urgency at all. Mostly because the episode already has a foregone conclusion but also because the characters from the start already show signs of having developed enough to work their way through things quickly, and since all of this only occupies this episode alone there's a bit of a disconnect when the rest of the series was so slow in comparison. For an ass-kicking "one last hoorah" episode it's mostly good, I just wish the payoff was already there earlier in the series.

Also it finally has some good animation.

LordCanti

OVA

Honestly the scene of them shopping at the end of the series was a better sendoff, but at least they answered the question of
what happened to poor Rei-chan/what her story was.
I'd have been happier with a more relaxed, character driven episode where nothing was at stake, but I guess that'd have put some people off. I'm always happy with extra content though, even if it's not necessarily what I want.

It was a good run. I'm excited to see what they'll do next, and I hope that the budget and vision will be a little more solid by then.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill Episode 25:

Right, this was okay, I guess giving us a final bit of finality that mostly feels un-needed. I did like learning the next phase of many of the characters and I did like them having a capstone to Lady Satsuki's arc.
Also, THERE is the giant robot transformation I was looking for and seeing that flashback really makes me wish we had gotten more of that in the main series
The action is competent I suppose but just feels hollow as there the stakes involved feel lacking.
Also, I guess the Ryuko-Mako coupling wins, I mean in spite of having an OVA episode to breech the matter once and for all, it seems more a case of Ryuko winning by default, Gamagouri is going on in a different direction.
All and all, this thing exists, you can watch it but not much will be gained from doing so.

LordCanti

Kill la Kill Episode 25:

Right, this was okay, I guess giving us a final bit of finality that mostly feels un-needed. I did like learning the next phase of many of the characters and I did like them having a capstone to Lady Satsuki's arc.
Also, THERE is the giant robot transformation I was looking for and seeing that flashback really makes me wish we had gotten more of that in the main series
The action is competent I suppose but just feels hollow as there the stakes involved feel lacking.
Also, I guess the Ryuko-Mako coupling wins, I mean in spite of having an OVA episode to breech the matter once and for all, it seems more a case of Ryuko winning by default, Gamagouri is going on in a different direction.
All and all, this thing exists, you can watch it but not much will be gained from doing so.

As far as Gamako goes,
the end of the series where they're shopping and Gama-chan is trying to ask her out is set after this OVA, so he's at least still going for it.

I like to think that he wins eventually.

cntr

Banned
Episode 25

My greatest hope came true.

THE GOD DAMN SCHOOL MECH.

YES. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

MetalDeer

OVA/Ep. 25

I thought it was a little bit silly and forced at first, but in the end I liked it. And there was a little bit more short-haired Satsuki, so 10/10, definitely worth watching.

Also, Gamagoori/Mako OTP

Soma

Oh, so the school really was a mech this whole time.

But yeah that was fun. Unnecessary but kind of a nice little send-off for the fans.

Think it fell in line with some of the better KLK episodes overall. Had the same hallmarks of a usual episode (re-used assets, clever visual gags, silly banter between characters, etc.) and a nice little action sequence towards the end that was unfortunately better choreographed than the 'actual' final battle with Ragyo.

Well guess that's it for the series then. Strange strange series with a myriad of production issues holding it back from truly being an outstanding show but I guess I had fun with my time with it.

TUSR

Banned
Oh, so the school really was a mech this whole time.

But yeah that was fun. Unnecessary but kind of a nice little send-off for the fans.

Think it fell in line with some of the better KLK episodes overall. Had the same hallmarks of a usual episode (re-used assets, clever visual gags, silly banter between characters, etc.) and a nice little action sequence towards the end that was unfortunately better choreographed than the 'actual' final battle with Ragyo.

Well guess that's it for the series then. Strange strange series with a myriad of production issues holding it back from truly being an outstanding show but I guess I had fun with my time with it.

episode 4 still the GOAT

I thought the OVA was great and made me smile alot especially near the end where Dont lose your way drops. I mean the episode was no where as amazing as episode 3 and its pure epicness, but it was pretty hype
still mad that the OVA wasnt a beach episode :/

TUSR

Banned
I thought the OVA was great and made me smile alot especially near the end where Dont lose your way drops. I mean the episode was no where as amazing as episode 3 and its pure epicness, but it was pretty hype
still mad that the OVA wasnt a beach episode :/

me too :(

bobawesome

I loved the OVA. The ending reminded me a bit of
Parasyte
's ending. Potential spoiler for late 80's to mid 90's manga.

Top Bottom