• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Maybe I'm being unfair to Kill La Kill, because I thought Bayonetta's ridiculous sexualization was fine. But Kill La Kill doesn't seem to tread that line as well.

Also to the above, why is Aku no Hana so great? I've never heard of it before.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe I'm being unfair to Kill La Kill, because I thought Bayonetta's ridiculous sexualization was fine. But Kill La Kill doesn't seem to tread that line as well.

I was fine with it in Bayonetta as well compared to Kill la Kill, but I can think of a couple of reasons why.

I don't think I'm into it when it's meant to be comedic (fondling breast jokes or the constant dynamic of Matoi being embarrassed and the onlooking crowd being elated). In Bayonetta, I thought the fanservicey moments weren't so much something to be gawked at rather than an aspect of Bayonetta's personality. I think it's why I tolerated it more in P&S as well.

My opinion on the whole thing might change going forward after episode 3 depending on if Matoi took Satsuki's advice on not giving a fuck and internalized it or not.

sonicmj1

Also to the above, why is Aku no Hana so great, never really heard of it before.

Aku no Hana/Flowers of Evil is the antithesis of every saccharine school anime in existence.

Directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, who previously made Mushishi and Detroit Metal City, Aku no Hana's initial premise might sound like a prelude to a goofy lewd comedy when taken on its own. An 8th-grade boy, nursing an inner sense of superiority nurtured by his love of 19th-century French poet Charles Baudelaire, is spotted stealing the gym clothes of his crush by the class pariah, a girl who hates school, hates their town, and hates everyone in it. But instead, it's an austere, tense psychological drama, diving into adolescent guilt, alienation, love, and hate and dragging their tender hearts into the brutal light. The art is all rotoscoped, giving the show a look that both resembles reality and feels alien from it. Music is used sparingly and effectively, a soundtrack made up largely of low drones and silences. The town and school feel vaguely rotten and sinister.

It's a show about the painful parts of growing up that everyone deals with, and instead of romanticizing or minimizing them, it turns them into the world-ending horrors that they feel like at the time. The crushing weight of guilt, the casual hypocrisy of the facade of everyday social interaction, the painful loneliness of wanting to understand and not being understood... The audience feels their presence as surely as the characters do. Even as the irrational, emotional protagonists act irrationally and emotionally, all their drama felt earned to me. It's a show that doesn't shy away from making the viewer uncomfortable, from showing its characters at their worst and most pathetic, and I never wanted to look away.

The tone, pace, and energy feels completely different from Kill la Kill. In fact, I've never seen an anime like it, and it's as effective as they come.

Look, I love Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, but it's absurd to say that Imaishi's the only director worth paying attention to while ignoring talents like Nagahama, Ei Aoki, Mamoru Hosoda, and others.

Finalow

s86OvLO.gif
love it.

Squishy3

Watching the episode again the more I like the CG used in the fight in the hallway. The models don't look as bad because its much faster-paced and well-animated while the CG model of Ryuko and Satsuki walking towards each other in the beginning look worse because you can actually pay attention to them, as is also the case when Satsuki is walking up the side of the building.

soultron

Banned
Started watching this last night. I finished EP2 and thought it was OK.

I know it's still early goings on, but I'm finding the fights a bit boring. The style is there, but I can't help comparing it to TTGL. From reading the thread, it seems the budget isn't there for really crazy animation like in TTGL? Maybe they'll get more interesting as she works her way up the student council to fight more two- and three-stars.

Also, as a super lite casual anime fan (TTGL was the last I watched, tried to get into Sword Art Online and ended up hating it when the
fairy
arc started, didn't finish.) the hyper sexy suit is kind of offputting, especially the super gratuitous panty shots. The scene where the suit forces itself on her felt like a pretty uncool rape joke, in my opinion. (Especially if it's the spirit of her father?) I know an argument can be made that "it's anime humour," but I'm not really finding it funny even as satire. Part of the reason I don't want to watch certain anime is because of shit like this.

Aviator sexy teacher guy is making the show right now though. I love it.

I don't mean to spoil anyone's fun since it seems the seasoned anime vets are having a really good time with this one, so don't mind me.

I'll watch the next episode to figure out if I want to stay on board. Might try watching that new Gunpla show instead.

kazebyaka

Banned
Started watching this last night. I finished EP2 and thought it was OK.

I know it's still early goings on, but I'm finding the fights a bit boring. The style is there, but I can't help comparing it to TTGL. From reading the thread, it seems the budget isn't there for really crazy animation like in TTGL? Maybe they'll get more interesting as she works her way up the student council to fight more two- and three-stars.

Also, as a super lite casual anime fan (TTGL was the last I watched, tried to get into Sword Art Online and ended up hating it when the
fairy
arc started, didn't finish.) the hyper sexy suit is kind of offputting, especially the super gratuitous panty shots. The scene where the suit forces itself on her felt like a pretty uncool rape joke, in my opinion. (Especially if it's the spirit of her father?) I know an argument can be made that "it's anime humour," but I'm not really finding it funny even as satire. Part of the reason I don't want to watch certain anime is because of shit like this.

I don't mean to spoil anyone's fun since it seems the seasoned anime vets are having a really good time with this one, so don't mind me.

I'll watch the next episode to figure out if I want to stay on board. Might try watching that new Gunpla show instead.
KlK is more of a satire on everything possible, so your limited anime knowledge can hurt your experience a bit, can't blame you.
If you're looking to something better to watch from this season, try Samurai Flamenco. It's full of charm and soul, without lame fanservice.

soultron

Banned
KlK is more of a satire on everything possible, so your limited anime knowledge can hurt your experience a bit, can't blame you.
If you're looking to something better to watch from this season, try Samurai Flamenco. It's full of charm and soul, without lame fanservice.

Yeah, I get that. It just irks me since I really like a lot of other things about the show, but it's such a huge hang up for me. I guess the good thing is that when/if the suit changes or powers up, there's not much else they can reveal. (I think.)

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it.

Gazoinks

Yeah, I get that. It just irks me since I really like a lot of other things about the show, but it's such a huge hang up for me. I guess the good thing is that when/if the suit changes or powers up, there's not much else they can reveal. (I think.)

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it.

As far as the fanservice in KlK, there's sort of a "mission statement" about it in Ep 3 that may or may not make you appreciate it more. Either way, it's kind of a take it or leave it thing, because I seriously doubt it's going anywhere.

fairy
arc started, didn't finish.)

Just watch Attack on Titan then. It's got more mainstream appeal than SAO and (as much as I hate to admit it) this.

OnFire331

Aku no Hana/Flowers of Evil is the antithesis of every saccharine school anime in existence.

Directed by Hiroshi Nagahama, who previously made Mushishi and Detroit Metal City, Aku no Hana's initial premise might sound like a prelude to a goofy lewd comedy when taken on its own. An 8th-grade boy, nursing an inner sense of superiority nurtured by his love of 19th-century French poet Charles Baudelaire, is spotted stealing the gym clothes of his crush by the class pariah, a girl who hates school, hates their town, and hates everyone in it. But instead, it's an austere, tense psychological drama, diving into adolescent guilt, alienation, love, and hate and dragging their tender hearts into the brutal light. The art is all rotoscoped, giving the show a look that both resembles reality and feels alien from it. Music is used sparingly and effectively, a soundtrack made up largely of low drones and silences. The town and school feel vaguely rotten and sinister.

It's a show about the painful parts of growing up that everyone deals with, and instead of romanticizing or minimizing them, it turns them into the world-ending horrors that they feel like at the time. The crushing weight of guilt, the casual hypocrisy of the facade of everyday social interaction, the painful loneliness of wanting to understand and not being understood... The audience feels their presence as surely as the characters do. Even as the irrational, emotional protagonists act irrationally and emotionally, all their drama felt earned to me. It's a show that doesn't shy away from making the viewer uncomfortable, from showing its characters at their worst and most pathetic, and I never wanted to look away.

The tone, pace, and energy feels completely different from Kill la Kill. In fact, I've never seen an anime like it, and it's as effective as they come.

Look, I love Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, but it's absurd to say that Imaishi's the only director worth paying attention to while ignoring talents like Nagahama, Ei Aoki, Mamoru Hosoda, and others.

It's also the antithesis of animation (rotoscoping) so I wouldn't recommend the anime but the manga. And if we're talking about directors worth paying attention to, Kunihiko Ikuhara (Utena, Mawaru Penguindrum), Akiyuki Shinbo (Shaft director) and Makoto Shinkai (his movies are great and he's the one who gave Falcom their visual identity) are also worth a mention. And agreed on Mamoru Hosoda too, his movies are something really special.

OnFire331

It's still a visual style and no reason to dismiss it out of hand. Think a-ha's "Take On Me" music video.

It's also a visual style that (IMO) shouldn't be encouraged in anime just like CGI. But I'm also a person that's disappointed that the West has mostly switched from traditional animation to CGI (although they still look great, most of the time).

It's also a visual style that (IMO) shouldn't be encouraged in anime just like CGI. But I'm also a person that's disappointed that the West has mostly switched from traditional animation to CGI (although they still look great, most of the time).
To call it the antithesis of animation is pretty harsh.

In the case of Aku, i gives it a boldly unique visual identity that's appropriate to the tone of the show.

Plus you'd be surprised at how subtly the technique is used sometimes:
tumblr_mlu83rlI951qavd02o5_500.gif

TnK

Also to the above, why is Aku no Hana so great? I've never heard of it before.

Boom, there is your answer. Though in my case, I think the manga is better. It actually starts out a bit dumb in my opinion, but it slowly builds up to be good.

Jintor

I don't know what's up with this anime.

I think I like it, but I also think the blatant fanservice is perhaps too blatant for my tastes. Which I didn't think was possible, but them being aware of it and then championing it as a plot point is... weird

Comedy is gold though, and I still really like the main character and main antagonist, so I'll stick with it.

sonicmj1

It's also the antithesis of animation (rotoscoping) so I wouldn't recommend the anime but the manga.

Rotoscoping, like CG or digital coloring or anything else, is a tool. It's not inherently good or bad, it just depends on how it's used. Aku no Hana's rotoscoping complements its tone, creating a sense of heightened, surreal, somewhat ugly reality. Using rotoscoping also allowed Nagahama to portray human performances that would have been difficult to match with disconnected animation and voice.

The manga might be excellent as well, but that doesn't mean that one should skip the anime.

The more I watch this show, the more I'm reminded of Bayonetta in the way it takes sex and fanservice into outright parody. And I love it.
I haven't started yet, but this scares me. One of my top reasons for hating Bayonetta was the fan service---no matter the intent of it. Hopefully it doesn't turn me off to this show as well. Either way though, I don't quit shows halfway through unless their god awful (Death Note). So as long as KLK makes up for the fan service in other departments, I'll be fine. Fine just fine.

kiyomi

man fuk yo mako lovers

Mako's great.

Kill la Kill 1-2

Episode 2 has sold me on this, I thought the first episode was nothing particularly good.

Love the style. Love the amount of character and personality even the most nonessential objects have, particularly in movement. Don't really have an issue with the fanservice because it's often done with such aplomb and fits with the rest of the exaggerated tone of the show, and besides, Ryuko looks great, half-naked or not. Mako is a wonderful foil, and the pace and energy of the scenes with her family were great.

Gonna watch episode 3 real soon.

Unlike shitty fanservice shows like Highschool of the dead. Everyone being aware and even calling attentions to the ridiculous outfits they are wearing kills the fanservice part. Gurren Lagann almost has more fanservice than this because yoko had no reason to dress the way she does. The girls in this are dressed terrible and they know it and are ashamed of it, like 90% of all anime women should be.

LordCanti

Joke subs have their place. I remember when Lunar (Bleach/Naruto subbers mostly from years ago) used to do them (or at least I think it was lunar) and piss everyone off. Those were good times.

As for subs of things that have official subs, yeah, it's mostly about trying to improve the quality of the writing (which isn't hard sometimes).

Squishy3

Joke subs have their place. I remember when Lunar (Bleach/Naruto subbers mostly from years ago) used to do them (or at least I think it was lunar) and piss everyone off. Those were good times.

As for subs of things that have official subs, yeah, it's mostly about trying to improve the quality of the writing (which isn't hard sometimes).
That was mostly Dattebayo, I don't remember troll subs from Lunar, for some episodes of Naruto/Bleach they would release troll subs. Or when there wasn't an episode that week, they'd release a troll episode. It was how they originally started subbing that Japanese show that's about Rube-Goldberg machines. I don't remember what it's called. I remember people got pissed when they released the 2nd movie Diamond Dust Reballion troll.

I think these bad subs by DameDame for Kill La Kill are great though. I lost it at "I am a pure and chaste maiden." There's another one for when Aikuro fully takes off his shirt and it says "Bishie mode level MAX"

Kinyou

I would guess that in this case they're horrible on purpose.
See Duwang Subs for Jojo (trying to reproduce the experience of reading the awful manga translations by Duwang).
This is a thing? Okay that is hilarious

As for the official ones not being good enough; So far I didn't notice anything really weird, but I guess that might be different for the real aficionados

LordCanti

That was mostly Dattebayo, I don't remember troll subs from Lunar, for some episodes of Naruto/Bleach they would release troll subs. Or when there wasn't an episode that week, they'd release a troll episode. It was how they originally started subbing that Japanese show that's about Rube-Goldberg machines. I don't remember what it's called. I remember people got pissed when they released the 2nd movie Diamond Dust Reballion troll.

I think these bad subs by DameDame for Kill La Kill are great though. I lost it at "I am a pure and chaste maiden." There's another one for when Aikuro fully takes off his shirt and it says "Bishie mode level MAX"

DB is the one I was thinking of. They pissed so many people off.....so many.

This is a thing? Okay that is hilarious

People forget that not long ago, if you got subs at all, they were often complete fucking garbage.

I may complain about the writing ability of whoever does the Crunchyroll/Daisuki/etc simulcast subs, but they've never been as bad as things used to be.

Top Bottom