• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Or, rather, it could be interpreted as "Don't let them dis-empower you and turn you in to a sexual object just because you're wearing these clothes, you're still a super strong awesome-as-fuck badass, and you don't have any reason to be embarrassed."

I dunno, we'll have to wait to see if this message is actually there or not. We've still got like 20 episodes to go.

I suppose it is still too early to see. But that seems like a lame cop-out to basically tell women "you are strong" while then trying to profit off of over sexualizing teenage girls. It is kind of like those Dove "You are Beautiful" commercials that tell girls they are beautiful as they are, and then tries to sell them Dove products to look beautiful.

OnFire331

Womanly as fuck, yo.
j3QHwC5.gif

I marathoned Gurren Lagann after seeing the second episode of Kill la Kill. It's a shame I've put it off for so long, it's the best mecha anime I've seen and one of the best anime ever period.

/XX/

Wasn't the "new" OP supposed to start airing on EP4?
I want to say yes, but any info I have is like fourth hand at best.
It was the updated information on the contents to be in the first digital disc release of the series what mentions the presence of a "2nd & 3rd episodes version creditless opening" specifically (on a typical two-episodes-each-disc release at that):

Blu-ray&DVD | TVアニメ『キルラキル KILL la KILL』オフィシャルサイト said:
ノンクレジットオープニング映像(第2話,第3話ver.)
http://www.kill-la-kill.jp/blu-ray_dvd/

So, I think that was the biggest first-hand evidence thrown around, yeah.

Unlike shitty fanservice shows like Highschool of the dead. Everyone being aware and even calling attentions to the ridiculous outfits they are wearing kills the fanservice part. Gurren Lagann almost has more fanservice than this because yoko had no reason to dress the way she does. The girls in this are dressed terrible and they know it and are ashamed of it, like 90% of all anime women should be.

Hey! She totally needed to wear that to move more... freely or something.

Anyway KLK has it a lot more in the forefront, but I'm still ok with it.
It's not ecchi like Highschool DxD or anything, and even that I can stomach

DyTonic

Banned
Ok wtf did I just watch and why do you guys hype me into straight clown shit -_-. I really wanted a new anime to fill void until Attack is back.

OnFire331

Ok wtf did I just watch and why do you guys hype me into straight clown shit -_-. I really wanted a new anime to fill void until Attack is back.

This director's style is crazy like that. Maybe you should watch previous shows from Imaishi that are a little less fast-paced and traditional like Gurren Lagann
until it ends up throwing spiral galaxies like ninja stars.

Gazoinks

This director's style is crazy like that. Maybe you should watch previous shows from Imaishi that are a little less fast-paced and traditional like Gurren Lagann
until it ends up throwing spiral galaxies like ninja stars.

I think it says something about Imaishi when Gurren Lagann is his most grounded show.

If we're talking about theme's and reasons behind the fanservice, this post by sushiobunny seems relevant.

edit: I'm not sure if I should quote it...

I call bullshit on the idea that a god does not wear clothing. Numerous Japanese and Greek/Roman gods do wear clothing.

Anyway it sure is odd how the only point of the skimpy outfits is due to a language pun, and yet the only wearers we have seen thus far (and the main character and main antagonist) are female. Really the only reason for the fanservice is to show that you need to shed clothes to be counter-culture and become closer to god? Really?

Yonafunu

I call bullshit on the idea that a god does not wear clothing. Numerous Japanese and Greek/Roman gods do wear clothing.

Anyway it sure is odd how the only point of the skimpy outfits is due to a language pun, and yet the only wearers we have seen thus far (and the main character and main antagonist) are female. Really the only reason for the fanservice is to show that you need to shed clothes to be counter-culture and become closer to god? Really?

Let me ask you this; what, to you, is fanservice exactly? What's the definition?

Jintor

I'll give it it's deserved 4 episodes, but so far I see this in the same realm as Sword Art Online - shiny well polished shit.

Oh sir you are mad crazy.

There's no way in hell you could call SAO "well-polished". Shiny, perhaps. But the direction is insipid, they skip half the action sequences and there's nothing even close to KLK's bombastic, well-executed style.

Crocodile

I think its less that Gods wear no clothing (though I see that vantage point as well) but rather that clothing is a very human invention. Recall the story of Adam and Eve who saw no need for clothing until they "fell" and acquired very human sensibilities or Dr. Manhattan from Watchman (a "God" in his universe) - his constant nudity was symbolic of his complete detachment from humanity.

As for the bolded, I'm not sure I understand your critique or how it counters the possible interpretation that guy cited (not that you have to agree with that interpretation overall though). The main characters are female and they are the only ones in possession of these outfits. Your counter only makes sense if there are male characters who also posses "Kamui" but that it doesn't sexualize them. Considering the show already has NO qualms sexualizing its male characters, I don't forsee this being an issue.

Scum

I'm really enjoying this. The battle music for the fight between Ryuuko and Satsuki in the third episode was godly.

PK Gaming

episode 3

Now that was a good episode. A good mix of exposition and action, and I felt like they did a good enough job justifying Ryuko's outfit. Also is it me is Mako totally a lesbian? That scene with her during the battle was both hilarious and telling.

"Get naked!"

Guess Who

Banned
I honestly find the outfits far more ridiculous and absurd than sexy and am baffled by the notion that they were designed to give anyone a boner.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
episode 3

Now that was a good episode. A good mix of exposition and action, and I felt like they did a good enough job justifying Ryuko's outfit. Also is it me is Mako totally a lesbian? That scene with her during the battle was both hilarious and telling.

"Get naked!"

Many shippers are totally hoping this is the case. That being said, she seems to be at least bi-sexual considering some of the stuff she does to Ryuko.

Gazoinks

Many shippers are totally hoping this is the case. That being said, she seems to be at least bi-sexual considering some of the stuff she does to Ryuko.

I don't think Mako's... sexual, honestly. I mean, it'd be an interesting development, but for her current characterization I see it more as her just being goofy and having no sense of boundaries than any real sexual interest.

TheOGB

Banned
I honestly find the outfits far more ridiculous and absurd than sexy and am baffled by the notion that they were designed to give anyone a boner.
Oh good, I wasn't the only one thinking this.

I realize I can't speak for everybody, but in my mind there's a point where something gets too damn ridiculous to arouse, and KLK went sprinting past that point before Episode 3.

I don't think Mako's... sexual, honestly. I mean, it'd be an interesting development, but for her current characterization I see it more as her just being goofy and having no sense of boundaries than any real sexual interest.

she made a beeline for Ryokos tits shes obviously lesbian if not bi
she did exactly what the lesbian in Bleach(forgot her name) does all the time to Orihime

Jarmel

Banned

There's no way in hell you could call SAO "well-polished". Shiny, perhaps. But the direction is insipid, they skip half the action sequences and there's nothing even close to KLK's bombastic, well-executed style.

Say what you will about SAO such as the putrid dogshit writing, but it is well directed.

she did exactly what the lesbian in Bleach(forgot her name) does all the time to Orihime

I think you're looking into it too much, it just came across as being playful to me.

Though I would like to be wrong, Ryuko and Mako fan art, here I come!

I can never tell if the shipping stuff on the internet is serious or tongue in cheek. Maybe I just want to believe they're mostly jokes because the constant need to ship something, no matter how outlandish, just seems bizarre. Save that for the doujins.

Also, hetero girls grabbing boobs in not a new concept to anime. That one girl in Bleach that's gay doesn't strike me as representative.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I can never tell if the shipping stuff on the internet is serious or tongue in cheek. Maybe I just want to believe they're mostly jokes because the constant need to ship something, no matter how outlandish, just seems bizarre. Save that for the doujins.

Also, hetero girls grabbing boobs in not a new concept to anime. That one girl in Bleach that's gay doesn't strike me as representative.

The shipping is serious, so serious, deadly serious, you have no idea how serious this getsd.

Chariot

Most of the time its just for fun, but I met people who took their ships far too serious. Those are scary scary people.

edit: Was worse with Avatar: The Last Airbender than with any anime.

I just realized another important aspect of Kill-a-kill:

the battle between CLEAVAGE and UNDERBOOB

Girls grabbing each other's boobs is a common japanese trope. don't read too much into it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Oh good, I wasn't the only one thinking this.

I realize I can't speak for everybody, but in my mind there's a point where something gets too damn ridiculous to arouse, and KLK went sprinting past that point before Episode 3.
Same. At no point I see it trying to be legitimately titillating (or succeeding at it), it's always balls-out comical. Same goes for the sexy sensei scenes. I can't see how/why anyone would be getting their rocks off on this show. It's actually pretty shitty fan service from that POV. It's all a big ball of ridiculous kinetic fun for me.

PK Gaming

I only ask because she was blushing after Ryuko did a proper transformation.

Her shenanigans with Ryuko is pretty standard stuff :p

Mako has some knowledge of sexy, she mentioned she wasn't wearing her sexy panties when she was kidnapped in episode 1.

That said, Mako is Mako. There are no words.

Take out the style and what are you left with? SAO appeals to the "if only this could happen to me"wish fulfilment crowd, and this appeals to the eroge loving ecchi crowd. Different sides of the same coin I think.

I claim SAO was well polished due to it's music, high sales and general reception. Kotaku claimed "Sword Art Online Is the Smartest Anime I’ve Seen in Years (And It’s Only Half-Done)". In my opinion this is a hallmark of a well polished show, where a person who is only looking superficially is very impressed, but others who dig deeper can see what it is truly made out of.

Top Bottom