• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Jarmel

Banned
Really hoping this show doesn't go back to MOW format. It would be ridiculously contrived in order to extend this arc more than a few more episodes.

Squishy3

This is a thing? Okay that is hilarious

As for the official ones not being good enough; So far I didn't notice anything really weird, but I guess that might be different for the real aficionados
They're serviceable, and when it's the only way of legally supporting it I don't think we can really complain. Definitely going to buy the blu-rays of this when it comes out over here, no matter how expensive they might be. Still hoping we're going to get an official US release of that ridiculous Gurren Lagann Collector's edition. :lol

attack_on_mako11s1q.gif

OnFire331

Really hoping this show doesn't go back to MOW format. It would be ridiculously contrived in order to extend this arc more than a few more episodes.

Apparently there's a new opening in episode 5 so I guess the next episode could mark the end of the current arc. I read it was said in one of the official twitter account, can anyone confirm it?

LordCanti

Apparently there's a new opening in episode 5 so I guess the next episode could mark the end of the current arc. I read it was said in one of the official twitter account, can anyone confirm it?

I could believe that there is a new OP song, but an entirely new animated OP? Considering their budget? Ehhhhhh...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This is a thing? Okay that is hilarious

As for the official ones not being good enough; So far I didn't notice anything really weird, but I guess that might be different for the real aficionados

Yeah, I can't speak ye olde Nihongo, so I can't tell if it is 100% accurate or not.

It seems fine to me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ep 1 definitely had incoherent exchanges, and a lot of terms are left untranslated for no reason.

Anyone else feel like they're losing steam with the show already?

In a way, yeah. If they just have a new fight with some underling every week, I don't see how it could turn out well. As far as 2013 anime goes, it has not grabbed me the way that Attack on Titan did, but I'll still be watching KLK to see how it continues.

Giolon

Episode 1 didn't really do it for me, but Episode 2 made me fall in love with this show. Episode 3 hitched me for life.

I just hope the rest of it can live up. I too will be disappointed if it turns into a MOTW show again. Episode 3 broke the formula
by skipping to the "final" boss
, I'll be disappointed if we've got 8 episodes working back to that point.

I really hope it turns out that
Satsuki and Ryuuko are being pitted against each other by some third party, like say Stupid Sexy Sensei and have to team up to defeat him
. Also, Ryuuko is voiced by Ami Koshimizu voice of Kallen (Code Geass), Maou (Maoyuu), and Tenma (School Rumble, greatest rom-com anime ever) which is like +1000 points in my book of awesome.

Hmm, may have to buy scissor letter opener... the irony is too damn high.

In a way, yeah. If they just have a new fight with some underling every week, I don't see how it could turn out well. As far as 2013 anime goes, it has not grabbed me the way that Attack on Titan did, but I'll still be watching KLK to see how it continues.
That's the same feeling I got. They're working against themselves. Usually you keep watching because things ramp up, not ramp down?

That's the same feeling I got. They're working against themselves. Usually you keep watching because things ramp up, not ramp down?

I'm sure most of the goku uniform people will be out of the picture within the next few episodes, and then the final battle with Satsuki will happen before 10. Then we'll be onto bigger things the same way TTGL was after Lordgenome.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
the Op we have no does have a few things that are from episodes so I wouldnt be surprised if they were replaced with something else, but I dont think they would reveal a new thing in the opening before it was introduced.

I feel like I'm unable to enjoy this show because I am not in the target demographic (straight male). In that sense I think it is a lesser Gurren Laagan.

Odrion

Banned
I feel like I'm unable to enjoy this show because I am not in the target demographic (straight male). In that sense I think it is a lesser Gurren Laagan.
Actually I found someone making an argument that there's more to the show than fanservice.

http://skaboyjfk.tumblr.com/post/64402552228/in-the-right-order-this-time-oops (NSFW due to uh, screenshots of KLK.)

I don't know if I completely agree about it, but there's parts of it that are interesting. If this is a long con that results in it weirdly being a feminine version of Gurren Laagan, then it's AOTD.

If it's not, then well... This is still cool.

Krammy

Wasn't sold on it after the first episode, but after giving it until Episode 3, I'm all in. It was actually Episode 3 that finally sold me, with furthering the character development and that action, oh my god dat action. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses and also that inevitable Day 1 Blu-ray purchase.

I'm bisexual(in a gay relationship) and I find the show fantastic.

I'm usually REALLY bothered and annoyed by pointless fan-service, in this show? It's amazing and I need more.

I'm bisexual(in a gay relationship) and I find the show fantastic.

I'm usually REALLY bothered and annoyed by pointless fan-service, in this show? It's amazing and I need more.

Perhaps I should alter my statement. The target demographic is people that can be sexually aroused by women.

Actually I found someone making an argument that there's more to the show than fanservice.

http://skaboyjfk.tumblr.com/post/64402552228/in-the-right-order-this-time-oops (NSFW due to uh, screenshots of KLK.)

I don't know if I completely agree about it, but there's parts of it that are interesting. If this is a long con that results in it weirdly being a feminine version of Gurren Laagan, then it's AOTD.

If it's not, then well... This is still cool.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the female empowerment thing at all. The argument made by that link seems to be "girls, men will ogle the shit out of you so flaunt what you got because that is so empowering."

Or even if the show is about empowerment, I found it a really boring show. I can see how ogling the women (which the show wants according to the link) could make it enjoyable. But as I said, I'm not in that demographic. So I'm pretty much left with a boring coming of age story. Revolutionary Girl Utena did the whole coming of age/feminism thing better.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Perhaps I should alter my statement. The target demographic is people that can be sexually aroused by women.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the female empowerment thing at all. The argument made by that link seems to be "girls, men will ogle the shit out of you so flaunt what you got because that is so empowering."

Or even if the show is about empowerment, I found it a really boring show. I can see how ogling the women (which the show wants according to the link) could make it enjoyable. But as I said, I'm not in that demographic. So I'm pretty much left with a boring coming of age story. Revolutionary Girl Utena did the whole coming of age/feminism thing better.
Have you seen stupid sexy sensei?

LogicStep

I just wonder how this show is going to pan out. 3 episodes in and we're getting this scale of action. What are we getting by the end? Insane destruction and power levels await.

Finally watched the second and third episode. They really went balls tits'n'ass with this one, eh? I like the humour, the animations, the story (somewhat) and the fights but I really wouldn't mind them toning down the fanservice a little bit.

uhm, straight male

Re-watched episodes one, two and three again this morning. This show does wonders for me. It's just so easy to put on and watch. Roll on Thursday so I can watch episode 4!

You are outside their target demographic. Congrats!

Putting everything in terms of simple demographics isn't really correct. I'm sure if you showed the average Japanese person those scenes in KLK they would be as much shocked as the average Westerner. This show plays to more stereotypical otaku tastes rather than general sexuality and seems to be doing well by it. Personally, I'm not so much a fan.

The story is practically non-existent, the fighting is meaningless, and it seems to use every plot contrivance and trope under the sun. It has style, for sure, something that would normally be a great bullet point, but that can only carry an otherwise mediocre show for so long. Then we have the fanservice which tries it's very hardest to pretty much devastate any good will I can summon towards it. I'll give it it's deserved 4 episodes, but so far I see this in the same realm as Sword Art Online - shiny well polished shit.

Putting everything in terms of simple demographics isn't really correct. I'm sure if you showed the average Japanese person those scenes in KLK they would be as much shocked as the average Westerner. This show plays to more stereotypical otaku tastes rather than general sexuality and seems to be doing well by it. Personally, I'm not so much a fan.

The story is practically non-existent, the fighting is meaningless, and it seems to use every plot contrivance and trope under the sun. It has style, for sure, something that would normally be a great bullet point, but that can only carry an otherwise mediocre show for so long. Then we have the fanservice which tries it's very hardest to pretty much devastate any good will I can summon towards it. I'll give it it's deserved 4 episodes, but so far I see this in the same realm as Sword Art Online - shiny well polished shit.

Wow, really?
iK6wLD5.gif

Actually, going back to this link I really do have to wonder how you (or the author) thought that this exchange was a sign of female empowerment. The main character basically gets told "lol you dislike when men turn you into a sexual object? That makes you weak you should just let them ogle." And somehow that is empowering because then the main character learns that she (and I suppose all other women) just have to deal with it.

That said, I don't care about the blatant over the top fanservice. But let's not pretend it is actually some deep statement about society.

TCKaos

Actually, going back to this link I really do have to wonder how you (or the author) thought that this exchange was a sign of female empowerment. The main character basically gets told "lol you dislike when men turn you into a sexual object? That makes you weak you should just let them ogle." And somehow that is empowering because then the main character learns that she (and I suppose all other women) just have to deal with it.

That said, I don't care about the blatant over the top fanservice. But let's not pretend it is actually some deep statement about society.

Or, rather, it could be interpreted as "Don't let them dis-empower you and turn you in to a sexual object just because you're wearing these clothes, you're still a super strong awesome-as-fuck badass, and you don't have any reason to be embarrassed."

I dunno, we'll have to wait to see if this message is actually there or not. We've still got like 20 episodes to go.

Top Bottom