• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Squishy3

Oh god, what group is that? Hadena?
Damedame. There's a lot more choice quotes after that make a retreat one but it's like 5 more images total. This person on tumblr has been posting screencaps from them pretty consistently or you can always go find them yourself, obviously.

Chariot

Damedame. There's a lot more choice quotes after that make a retreat one but it's like 5 more images total. This person on tumblr has been posting screencaps from them pretty consistently or you can always go find them yourself, obviously.
Thank you very much! This is hilarious.

Oh man, those were a hell of a lot better than I thought they were going to be.
My favourite:
tumblr_mv3siyKt1f1r2r59eo2_1280.jpg

Just finished catching up with the third episode while at work. I'll be honest, the pacing up until the third episode has been amazing (even if the animation budget is little bit lacking). To me, it's been on par with TTGL's and so I'm honestly expecting the series to go a bit in that route (I suppose that it's also because it was created by most of the same staffers).

It's been very entertaining, although I'm really curious about the future of the series. If there was such an epic battle between Ryouko and Satsuki within the first three episodes, what in the world will the last episode be like in the 2-cour series oO...

Kagami

this appeals to the eroge loving ecchi crowd.
Eh, I have a bookshelf full of eroge, and I don't feel like KLK is aimed at me at all, haha.

Obviously it's somewhat dependent on personal taste, but KLK comes off as joke mockery of sexiness rather than sincerely trying to please me. Contrast with other shows that actually are genuinely trying to service me, like Infinite Stratos, Freezing, YuuShibu, Wanna be the Strongest, or Machine Doll.

KLK's character designs don't make much use of modern bishoujo sexy-cute conventions, and Satsuki is so far away from that that people call her "man face."
KLK also spends too much time showing the characters' faces in "non-pretty" ways, like deformed gag faces or exaggerated shocked faces or a face made up of tennis-ball bruises. You won't see much if any of that in the shows I listed above because the girls are supposed to be pretty at all times in those (even when they're injured, or in some cases, especially when they're injured...).

I wouldn't even be watching KLK if my friend wasn't so excited about it, and he has generally the opposite taste from me. He ran out of the room when I started watching Wanna be the Strongest in the World, lol.

Of course, the above topic is a separate matter from simply finding all the T&A distasteful, independent of who it or might not be pleasing.

Squishy3

Just finished catching up with the third episode while at work. I'll be honest, the pacing up until the third episode has been amazing (even if the animation budget is little bit lacking). To me, it's been on par with TTGL's and so I'm honestly expecting the series to go a bit in that route (I suppose that it's also because it was created by most of the same staffers).

It's been very entertaining, although I'm really curious about the future of the series. If there was such an epic battle between Ryouko and Satsuki within the first three episodes, what in the world will the last episode be like in the 2-cour series oO...
These are the people that thought the final fight in TTGL wasn't good enough and made it even better in the movie we're talking about. I'm sure they'll be able to think of something.

Can't wait for "Kill la Kill Movie: The Supports for Your Chest are Bras".

2/10.

So I actually watched some of this (specifically the first two episodes) and, well: that was a thing. OK Trigger, I'm on board.

I'll have to admit that the fan service is a bit too much for my tastes, but it's not exactly a dealbreaker. It's a bit like a spag bol that's a bit too salty: I'm more likely to drink more water than throw the whole thing out if that's the only fault I have with it.

I should be posting in here. Why am I not posting in here?

Watched the first episode when it aired and was in Manhattan for NYCC when the second two were broadcast. Just watched both last night, and I'm loving it so far. Satsuki and Ryuko fulfill my lust for a classic rivalry.

I could say more, but this would turn into a total blog post. :eek:

Always been a fan of Imaishi's style, and so far this show hasn't disappointed! LOVED Dead Leaves, Gurren, and FLCL is my favorite anime of all time.

I understand Kill la Kill not being for everyone. I, for one, have always loved bouncing tits mixed together with the over the top stylish action. I don't know why it makes so many people roll their eyes with disgust. If you don't like it, that's absolutely fine. I just don't know why it makes anyone angry. Any sort of fanservice doesn't bother me as long as the character are also doing something really effing awesome.

It's like, yeah wearing naught but suspenders isn't realistic, neither is a giant sword battle on the side of a building, WHAT'S YOUR POINT.

tumblr_mv5avvuyme1rq0amfo5_400.gif

tumblr_mv5avvuyme1rq0amfo3_250.gif

tumblr_mv5avvuyme1rq0amfo6_250.gif

I'm also really loving Satsuki. She's a stern bitch who's all "Yeah I don't give a fuck if this outfit is ridiculous, it makes me AWESOME. WHAT OF IT!?"

I just got out of a chat where an American woman was calling people "dumb fucks", "dumb pieces of shit", and "sick pedos" for watching this "no plot" "pedophile cartoon with sexualized kids in skimpy outfits". Oh well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
But Satsuki is 18.......Ryuko's 17, but still.....

Also, I'm hearing something that this got a manga adaptation? Though considering how the Gurren Lagann one was pretty much literally the anime, just as a manga, I have a feeling I'm not missing out much.

I can't handle this show. 2gar4me. Lately I was really in the mood for a new Hot Blooded Action™ series - and Japan delivered!

DON'T LOSE YOUR WAYYYYYY!

I understand Kill la Kill not being for everyone. I, for one, have always loved bouncing tits mixed together with the over the top stylish action. I don't know why it makes so many people roll their eyes with disgust. If you don't like it, that's absolutely fine. I just don't know why it makes anyone angry. Any sort of fanservice doesn't bother me as long as the character are also doing something really effing awesome.

It's because they love everything else, from what I've seen. Probably huge fans of Gurren, but they're just a bit sensitive to the cleavage involved. [Insert Yoko comparison]
So long as it goes out of the foreground a bit as the show chugs along, I'll be fine with it.

Arkanius

The show is fun but damn...
I'm embarassed as fuck watching this. I think it really represents what is wrong with the Anime industry nowadays, when the giant blood pumping blockbusters are two girls almost naked fighting with swords, and enjoying being naked.

My inner 14 year old pervert is enjoying this as fuck. The 23 year old myself is not.

TnK

I find it interesting that my sister is really enjoying this show and never said a thing about the whole nudity deal. Any girls here finding problems with the whole outfit?

Arkanius

Sounds like your GF is a prude.

But then we watch Game of Thrones together.
File it under different tastes.

I was reading a few pages back, that this is for girls coming of age like Gurren Lagann was for boys.

Eh... Not sure if I buy it, but then again, not a girl. WomenGAF, what say you?

Hey man, maybe she'll be into it and cosplay in her own super-powered kamui.

Hot

Gintamen

The show is fun but damn...
I'm embarassed as fuck watching this. I think it really represents what is wrong with the Anime industry nowadays, when the giant blood pumping blockbusters are two girls almost naked fighting with swords, and enjoying being naked.

My inner 14 year old pervert is enjoying this as fuck. The 23 year old myself is not.
Maybe your 14 so self would realize that it's not "just that". Yeah seems like the whole 24 or 26 episodes will be about two always nearly naked women right?
Says us nothing at all.

NEO0MJ

But Satsuki is 18.......Ryuko's 17, but still.....

Also, I'm hearing something that this got a manga adaptation? Though considering how the Gurren Lagann one was pretty much literally the anime, just as a manga, I have a feeling I'm not missing out much.

Ryuko looks a bit younger than 17 IMO, but if the writers say she's 17 she's 17.

As for the manga, who know. FLCL took a different direction in the manga, especially near the end.

Deliverance

Neo Member
Sounds like your GF is a prude.

Not liking the blatant fanservice in this series = prude. Okay.

File it under different tastes.

I was reading a few pages back, that this is for girls coming of age like Gurren Lagann was for boys.

Eh... Not sure if I buy it, but then again, not a girl. WomenGAF, what say you?

Hot

That theory is bullshit. Some guy must have made all that up basically to yell at women: "YOU SHOULD LIKE IT, DAMN! LOOK AT IT, IT'S EMPOWERING AND DEEP!!!".

It's a stupid series with women fighting almost naked and that constantly tries to be funny (IMO, without achieving it) with silly jokes. It's the opposite of deep. I understand the appeal, but it's not for me. I am not part of the public it panders to (and there's a looot of pandering).

I will keep watching it, though. Last week my boyfriend and I did a drink game (mainly about fanservice) while watching EP 3 (he doesn't like KlK either) and we had a lot of fun, you can't possibly imagine how much we laughed. We almost killed ourselves, though ;_;

Vito

Banned
We almost killed ourselves, though ;_;

I see you guys didn't succeed. Try again, maybe next time you make it!

Kotaku claimed "Sword Art Online Is the Smartest Anime I’ve Seen in Years (And It’s Only Half-Done)". In my opinion this is a hallmark of a well polished show, where a person who is only looking superficially is very impressed, but others who dig deeper can see what it is truly made out of.

Hm, you do realize that Kotaku carries as much weight as Sankaku Complex? I'm pretty sure if you dig deeper you'll find that SAO is yet another anime based on a LN with what's likely sub-par writing.

It's a stupid series with women fighting almost naked and that constantly tries to be funny (IMO, without achieving it) with silly jokes. It's the opposite of deep. I understand the appeal, but it's not for me. I am not part of the public it panders to (and there's a looot of pandering).

I will keep watching it, though. Last week my boyfriend and I did a drink game (mainly about fanservice) while watching EP 3 (he doesn't like KlK either) and we had a lot of fun, you can't possibly imagine how much we laughed. We almost killed ourselves, though ;_;

I have to agree that it's not 'deep'. I personally enjoy it's sillyness and find that to be the part that draws me to the show.

I have to ask though, if you both don't like the show, why will you keep watching it?

Deliverance

Neo Member
I have to agree that it's not 'deep'. I personally enjoy it's sillyness and find that to be the part that draws me to the show.

I have to ask though, if you both don't like the show, why will you keep watching it?

My boyfriend loves Imaishi and his work. He's just expecting that it will get better.

I... Just had fun getting drunk and laughing at the silliness of the show. The point is that we both had a good time watching it. We just needed "a little" incentive, I guess. So we're making this a kind of ritual.

The artwork, animation and choreography are good :(

but if you don't like it...seems like a Catch-22 situation =P

My boyfriend loves Imaishi and his work. He's just expecting that it will get better.

I... Just had fun getting drunk and laughing at the silliness of the show. The point is that we both had a good time watching it. We just needed "a little" incentive, I guess. So we're making this a kind of ritual.

Seems like a fair reason! I hope you two end up liking the show by the end :D

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I find it hard to imagine how anyone who loves Imaishi could not like this.
It's such a pure expression of his style, and it's not like blatant hypersexualization is new to his work.

Not liking the blatant fanservice in this series = prude. Okay.

That theory is bullshit. Some guy must have made all that up basically to yell at women: "YOU SHOULD LIKE IT, DAMN! LOOK AT IT, IT'S EMPOWERING AND DEEP!!!".

So, your response to a genuine attempt at analysis is to be presumptuous about the author's intentions, and misrepresent their tone to suit your own narrative that he's attempting to beat female viewers into submission with his opinion? Ok.

Also, prude means excessively modest or righteous in your attitude about sex. For example, being unwilling to watch something with the person you're in a relationship with. Let me be clear, I'm not saying anybody should have to, the word was 'can't'.

Top Bottom