• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Deliverance

Neo Member
I find it hard to imagine how anyone who loves Imaishi couldn't like this.
It's such a pure expression of his style, and it's not like blatant hypersexualization is new to his work.

I guess he was expecting something more. He reaaaally likes PSG and TTGL. Every single time he gets drunk he starts talking about both shows, and last week wasn't an exception.

Also he believes that the hypersexualization of PSG was more justified, given the nature and context of the show.

Eh, I have a bookshelf full of eroge, and I don't feel like KLK is aimed at me at all, haha.

Obviously it's somewhat dependent on personal taste, but KLK comes off as joke mockery of sexiness rather than sincerely trying to please me. Contrast with other shows that actually are genuinely trying to service me, like Infinite Stratos, Freezing, YuuShibu, Wanna be the Strongest, or Machine Doll.

KLK's character designs don't make much use of modern bishoujo sexy-cute conventions, and Satsuki is so far away from that that people call her "man face."
KLK also spends too much time showing the characters' faces in "non-pretty" ways, like deformed gag faces or exaggerated shocked faces or a face made up of tennis-ball bruises. You won't see much if any of that in the shows I listed above because the girls are supposed to be pretty at all times in those (even when they're injured, or in some cases, especially when they're injured...).

I wouldn't even be watching KLK if my friend wasn't so excited about it, and he has generally the opposite taste from me. He ran out of the room when I started watching Wanna be the Strongest in the World, lol.

Of course, the above topic is a separate matter from simply finding all the T&A distasteful, independent of who it or might not be pleasing.

Thanks. I guess I was a bit off with that one, I learn't a lot from this. I know that it appeals to some subset of the otaku archetype, you say you like Freezing, doesn't that have the girls getting hurt in it?

Hm, you do realize that Kotaku carries as much weight as Sankaku Complex? I'm pretty sure if you dig deeper you'll find that SAO is yet another anime based on a LN with what's likely sub-par writing.

Kotaku carries a lot more weight than Sankaku. Nevertheless my point was of the mainstream appeal via well polished media than an agreement with what was being said.

Not liking the blatant fanservice in this series = prude. Okay.

That theory is bullshit. Some guy must have made all that up basically to yell at women: "YOU SHOULD LIKE IT, DAMN! LOOK AT IT, IT'S EMPOWERING AND DEEP!!!".

It's a stupid series with women fighting almost naked and that constantly tries to be funny (IMO, without achieving it) with silly jokes. It's the opposite of deep. I understand the appeal, but it's not for me. I am not part of the public it panders to (and there's a looot of pandering).

I will keep watching it, though. Last week my boyfriend and I did a drink game (mainly about fanservice) while watching EP 3 (he doesn't like KlK either) and we had a lot of fun, you can't possibly imagine how much we laughed. We almost killed ourselves, though ;_;

Yep. Theres not a single mainstream overtly sexualised media that won't have defenders claiming it isn't "really fanservice" and that there is a "deeper meaning" see: Dragon's Crown, Bayonetta, etc. Even Strike Witches has people claiming that it's somehow empowering to women!

C'mon people, stop deceiving yourselves. If you like it that's fine, but don't pretend it is something it isn't.

Jarmel

Banned
Yep. Theres not a single mainstream overtly sexualised media that won't have defenders claiming it isn't "really fanservice" and that there is a "deeper meaning" see: Dragon's Crown, Bayonetta, etc. Even Strike Witches has people claiming that it's somehow empowering to women!

C'mon people, stop deceiving yourselves. If you like it that's fine, but don't pretend it is something it isn't.

Pretty much. It's Imaishi screwing around and not much more than that.

I guess he was expecting something more. He reaaaally likes PSG and TTGL. Every single time he gets drunk he starts talking about both shows, and last week wasn't an exception.

Also he believes that the hypersexualization of PSG was more justified, given the nature and context of the show.

The fanservice level is almost up to PSG and PSG played it up for laughs while here it's more dramatic. Ultimately it's not that big of a deal but I can see why people are irritated by it.

FluxWaveZ

The fanservice level is almost up to PSG and PSG played it up for laughs while here it's more dramatic. Ultimately it's not that big of a deal but I can see why people are irritated by it.

Yep. Main artstyle didn't really beget what I consider fanservice, either, so it was really just vulgar.

Deliverance

Neo Member
So, your response to a genuine attempt at analysis is to be presumptuous about the author's intentions, and misrepresent their tone to suit your own narrative that he's attempting to beat female viewers into submission with his opinion? Ok.

Also, prude means excessively modest or righteous in your attitude about sex. For example, being unwilling to watch something with the person you're in a relationship with. Let me be clear, I'm not saying anybody should have to, the word was 'can't'.

The thing is that I only see men using that "genuine attempt of analysis" to blame women (or people who simply don't like the amount of fanservice KlK has) for just "not getting the real meaning of the show! So empowering and deep and justified!". I find this attitude pretty distasteful.

Nodoby is judging you for liking this show, but you do so with people who just don't like KlK or certain aspects of it, constantly bringing up how prude they are for not liking what you like.

And what you quoted was only my opinion. I just find that "analysis" laughable. KlK is a series for men, and there is nothing wrong with it. But don't pretend that it is empowering for women and deep. It's silly and over-the-top, what's wrong with that? Why do you need to justify like that the amount of fanservice? I just don't get it.

Coconut

Banned
I like the faux hand drawn style. I just don't get why the main characters battle costume looks the way it does. Is there logic behind the design?

The thing is that I only see men using that "genuine attempt of analysis" to blame women (or people who simply don't like the amount of fanservice KlK has) for just "not getting the real meaning of the show! So empowering and deep and justified!". I find this attitude pretty distasteful.

Nodoby is judging you for liking this show, but you do so with people who just don't like KlK or certain aspects of it, constantly bringing up how prude they are for not liking what you like.

And what you quoted was only my opinion. I just find that "analysis" laughable. KlK is a series for men, and there is nothing wrong with it. But don't pretend that it is empowering for women and deep. It's silly and over-the-top, what's wrong with that? Why do you need to justify like that the amount of fanservice? I just don't get it.

Nowhere did I take issue with your opinion. It's clear that it was your treatment of somebody else's opinion that I responded to. You're welcome to think whatever you please without it being dismissed out of hand or misrepresented, but that means other people deserve the same respect. I also don't see the point in blaming somebody for how a community responds to and uses their ideas. If somebody is being overly preachy or attempting to brow-beat people with an opinion they co-opted, that's on them.

Now you're questioning the motivations of people that want to look for reasoning behind aspects of a show they like. We're on a discussion forum on the internet, people like to do that here. If that results in what they feel is a justification for something controversial in the show, then so be it. You're welcome to disagree, but to say "why even bother?" just seems like a lazy response. And sure, their motivation might have been to find a justification to silence the haters or convert them, but I'm not comfortable making that assumption when so many people on the internet analyse things because they like them and want to.

Personally I'm not interested in justifying my enjoyment of KLK and I don't even necessarily agree with that powerpoint, but I'd like to live in a world where deeming it laughable excuses me from responding respectfully or putting forth any kind of reasoning beyond the fact that I disagree and wish they wouldn't attempt to analyse it in the first place.

Coconut

Banned
Less than four hours to go: GET HYPE.

Great range of motion; No unnecessary fabric getting in the way.

I meant in world and not fanboy logic but whatever it doesn't bother me I just don't see the point outside of trying to turn somebody on with a drawing of a 17ish year old girl.

LordCanti

If you aren't watching this show completely naked, you haven't been paying attention. Cast off the clothing shaped chains holding the pigs down and be above their pettiness. Bask nude in the sun that shines for you.

I meant in world and not fanboy logic but whatever it doesn't bother me I just don't see the point outside of trying to turn somebody on with a drawing of a 17ish year old girl.

In world? Her father designed them like that because he could.

As for trying to turn people on... would you prefer her being eighteen years old in the fiction? I think they should get points for her not being fourteen instead.

Jarate

Banned
I like the faux hand drawn style. I just don't get why the main characters battle costume looks the way it does. Is there logic behind the design?

Is there generally any logic to this show

Its a cartoon, its not trying to be super logical. The guy might've wanted to make a show about girls battling each other is scantily clad outfits. Is that so bad. Who the fuck cares, do I get upset in a ton of modern shows that show half naked beautiful guys and exclaim, "WHY DO THEY NEED TO DO THIS GOSH WHY IS THERE SEXINESS IN THIS SHOW" people fucking like sexy things.

FluxWaveZ

Its a cartoon, its not trying to be super logical. The guy might've wanted to make a show about girls battling each other is scantily clad outfits. Is that so bad. Who the fuck cares, do I get upset in a ton of modern shows that show half naked beautiful guys and exclaim, "WHY DO THEY NEED TO DO THIS GOSH WHY IS THERE SEXINESS IN THIS SHOW" people fucking like sexy things.

I don't have a problem with people liking the arbitrary sexiness of the show, but it is very disingenuous to claim that it shouldn't need to make sense because it's a cartoon. This series seems to be pretty out there, but it still has its internal logic to go by.

Jarate

Banned
I don't have a problem with people liking the arbitrary sexiness of the show, but it is very disingenuous to claim that it shouldn't need to make sense because it's a cartoon. This series seems to be pretty out there, but it still has its internal logic to go by.

And how are sexy outfits not fitting the "internal logic" if thats something in the first 3 fucking episodes. I could see if this suddenly came put of nowhere in episode 27, where suddenly sexy body armor is the standard, but no, you're complaining about something not fitting the internal logic when its been there for the entire time.

Im not tryinng to call it deep, hey maybe there is some deep meaning behind sexy clothes, maybe there isnt't. If it just exists in the universe then it follows that logic.

FluxWaveZ

And how are sexy outfits not fitting the "internal logic" if thats something in the first 3 fucking episodes. I could see if this suddenly came put of nowhere in episode 27, where suddenly sexy body armor is the standard, but no, you're complaining about something not fitting the internal logic when its been there for the entire time.

Uh, no? What you're doing here is projecting. I never argued that the suits don't fit the internal logic of the series, because they do.

Coconut

Banned

It's a cartoon about kids in super powered school uniforms. You'd think they put a little thought into why they look the way they do.

Jarate

Banned
Ah right, that's true. That's not a complete justification as to why it leaves them scantily clad, though.

Umm, you seem to have a problem with scantily clad girls in this show, in then in your response you talked about "internal logic." Maybe I was wrong for putting two and two together.

Jarate

Banned
It's a cartoon about kids in super powered school uniforms. You'd think they put a little thought into why they look the way they do.
I wouldnt necessarily call them kids

I mean, they're 17 in this show, which is totally not in the "kid" range anymore

Mik317

The only reason anything in this show is the way it is ... Is because the director wanted to.

There isn't any other reason besides... Because he felt like it. And that's fine. Finding deeper meaning in a crazy show like this is silly.

I really wish people would move past this. This show is chock full of perverted insanity and if that's not for you. Cool bit what is the point that of keep harping on it? Especially if it bothers you a lot.

I get it if it's not your cup of tea. I don't like moe stuff.. So if a show I was looking forward to had it and was the type of moe stuff I didn't like I'd drop it and move on. The fact that we are 4 episodes in and still debating over whether or not this is good is pretty sad.

Jarate

Banned
Sorry, teens.

Back on topic so the suit makes her impervious to the elements as well blunt force trauma?

Even teens is ambiguous, what's the difference between her and an 18 year old. Is it literally one year that makes you uncomfortable.

And the answer to your question is yes. It makes her powered up, much like any other power up sequence in thousands of other shows. She's just merely more powerful.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm sure the plot will eventually go into why the Kamui looks like that. The story reason may be ridiculous though! Iirc the only thing we heard about it was Aikuro theorizing it looks like that because "Isshin Matoi was a perv".

Mik317

My last post came off as angry or trying to stop discussion. My bad. Mt point is that I wish the narrative around d this show was different

LordCanti

Back on topic so the suit makes her impervious to the elements as well blunt force trauma?

It makes her so strong that the force of her will is enough to blow no-star's and 1-star's away.

So, yes, she's impervious to the elements, as well as most blunt force trauma (unless it's delivered by a two star or higher, or so we assume).

Coconut

Banned
Even teens is ambiguous, what's the difference between her and an 18 year old. Is it literally one year that makes you uncomfortable.

And the answer to your question is yes. It makes her powered up, much like any other power up sequence in thousands of other shows. She's just merely more powerful.

Meh, it's even questionable too lust over cartoons that are meant to be 18.

So that means the earth has a 4 star uniform?

Jarate

Banned
Meh, it's even questionable too lust over cartoons that are meant to be 18.
Why is it questionable? Is there any reason why someone shouldnt lust over a cartoon image of an 18 year old girl

Is is questionable to lust over anything then? Am I only allowed to lust over 21 year old cartoon girls

Coconut

Banned
Why is it questionable? Is there any reason why someone shouldnt lust over a cartoon image of an 18 year old girl

Is is questionable to lust over anything then? Am I only allowed to lust over 21 year old cartoon girls

Are they mature enough to handle a sexual/romantic relationship with you? Then by all means you have my blessing to lust after any fictional girl regardless of age.

If her suit can stop say freezing to death in Antarctica wouldn't that her uniform is more powerful than the earths uniform or something?

Jarate

Banned
The uniform number is dependant onnhow much percentage of life fiber is in the uniform. This was explained in the show.

The earth would not have a number because it's not made out of life fiber, it's made out of dirt

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Are they mature enough to handle a sexual/romantic relationship with you?
0Wbt4P6.jpg

Ok

Everyone, we have WOMEN trying to tell MEN what they are SUPPOSED to think about scantily clad 17 year olds, and MEN trying to tell WOMEN what they are SUPPOSED to think about scantily clad 17 year olds. (and even men men and women women)

Nobody is right, nobody is wrong. THIS IS ALL SUBJECTIVE!

If you can't watch the show because you think that scantily clad females is stepping on your morals or ideas that animated people shouldn't wear sexy clothes, then go watch other MATURE ANIME FOR MATURE ANIME WATCHERS SO AS YOURSELF. At this point the issue has been beaten to death for 3 episodes. 21 more to go. I'm gonna take a guess and predict we will see more.

If you still don't want to watch the show for what it is, a surreal hot-blooded anime that ridicules EVERYTHING FROM CHARACTER TROPES TO SEXY CLOTHING, then again, stop trying to find justification in a show with magical clothes that drink blood and have high schoolers beating each other up. They already gave an in universe justification, you might just not want to accept it.

Let's talk about the SHOW's plot and directions because discussions about "PLOT" is just going to turn this into ANOTHER feminism topic.

I find it peculiar some of the people saying "HOW CAN YOU FIND A 17 YEAR OLD ANIMATED CHARACTER WEARING SCANTILY CLOTHING SEXY OR APPEALING" are the same people who in other threads have supported and accepted other people's fetish like FURRY or DIAPER FETISH, but put on sexy clothes on a woman and find that appealing and suddenly something is wrong. SHEESH!

Coconut

Banned
The uniform number is dependant onnhow much percentage of life fiber is in the uniform. This was explained in the show.

The earth would not have a number because it's not made out of life fiber, it's made out of dirt

So that's what that was at the end of episode one. So in theory her uniform could gain more fabric the more people she defeats.

FluxWaveZ

I find it peculiar some of the people saying "HOW CAN YOU FIND A 17 YEAR OLD ANIMATED CHARACTER WEARING SCANTILY CLOTHING SEXY OR APPEALING" are the same people who in other threads have supported and accepted other people's fetish like FURRY or DIAPER FETISH, but put on sexy clothes on a woman and find that appealing and suddenly something is wrong. SHEESH!

Really?

Jarate

Banned
So that's what that was at the end of episode one. So in theory her uniform could gain my fabric the more people she defeats.
Nobody really knows, the suit she has is made of 100% life fiber. That's what makes it a god outfit. No one really knows why shes absorbing fiber right now.

Jarate

Banned
I think what he's trying to say is that people have sexual thoughts about certain things, and that we shouldnt persecute people for having sexual thoughts. Having a diaper fetish affects the same amount of people as having a "17 year old super powered cartoon girl" fetish

If her suit can stop say freezing to death in Antarctica wouldn't that her uniform is more powerful than the earths uniform or something?

I'm pretty sure that when all is said and done this will remain my favourite sentence regarding KLK.

So that's what that was at the end of episode one. So in theory her uniform could gain my fabric the more people she defeats.

Now this I wonder about. A Kamui by definition should be 100% life fibers. That's supposedly the reason so few people can wear one; tolerance. Senketsu does seem to be collecting fibers as the show goes on though. So unless extra fabric is added to the design, which so far doesn't seem to be the case, I wonder why that is.

Top Bottom