• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Jex

This was certainly the best episode of the show so far and I'm really surprised that it entertained me the whole way through. The amount of visual gags in this show are extremely reminiscent of 80's anime which were stuffed full of visual references, humour and pop culture stuff. It certainly seems to be the sign of a talented, younger set of staff members really enjoying their work which is refreshing compared to how stale some other shows can feel.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Episode 4 was fun as hell.

Also, "filler episode?" This is a monster-of-the-week, largely episodic show, guys (at least at this point, it could change form later). It's not filler if it's the designed structure of the show. If this was "filler," then Cowboy Bebop has about 20 episodes of "filler."

I thought we were done with the monster of the week nonsense? I guess not. The little plot it had took a rest for more voyeurism (albeit more tame) and a series of gags that didn't really work for me.

Ninjimbo

I didn't expect to laugh so much. It was funny as hell and really came out of nowhere. I was expecting a battle against another club boss, but instead I got a crazy carny's version of a walk to school. Kind of brilliant actually.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Episode 4 was so much fun, it was blatant filler but it was also the most fun I've had with any show in a long time.

All of it was just fantastically done, all the humor was spot on as it was poking fun at itself just all around having a good time.

Mako is the best

tumblr_mv72ckWuyM1qjrjuto1_400.gif

LordCanti

To me, "Filler" means an episode in a manga-based series that makes up a story not in the manga in order to keep from reaching the manga too soon. Episode 04 of KLK wasn't filler for me. It was a world building episode if anything, and as an episode 04 it worked great. Not every episode can be some big step toward the end goal of the series.

To me, "Filler" means an episode in a manga-based series that makes up a story not in the manga in order to keep from reaching the manga too soon. Episode 04 of KLK wasn't filler for me. It was a world building episode if anything, and as an episode 04 it worked great. Not every episode can be some big step toward the end goal of the series.

Agreed, this is how I saw it. I was a bit puzzled with people using the term 'filler'.

TCKaos

Enjoyed the episode, but I really don't like that gag animation where it's one frame being bobbed around all the time. There was way too much of it this episode.

Coconut

Banned

DBZ is filled with filler.

this episode was filler in the sense that it didn't pertain to the overall story arc, even while lacking a manga/novel material.

It could stand alone.

Also, major question: how did the students in the class make it before them?

harSon

Banned

How in the hell was it world building? We learned absolutely nothing new about the characters or the universe that they inhibit. As far as narrative, characterization and world building were concerned, this episode was the very definition of a side step in that regard.

I thought we were done with the monster of the week nonsense? I guess not. The little plot it had took a rest for more voyeurism (albeit more tame) and a series of gags that didn't really work for me.

How can anime engage in voyeurism despite being an inanimate series of pictures? The power of Trigger.

Agreed, this is how I saw it. I was a bit puzzled with people using the term 'filler'.

Red now? You're so fickle when it comes to pantsu :p

Edit:

How in the hell was it world building? We learned absolutely nothing new about the characters or the universe that they inhibit. As far as narrative, characterization and world building were concerned, this episode was the very definition of a side step in that regard.

Well we did learn that expulsion means being exiled from the city, due the entire area being the Kiryuin's domain, but I think that's all.

episode was awesome, had a smile on my face the whole time. loved the gag with makos family trying to deliver sanketsu. i have a feling thats not the last we will see of maiko

maka standing up to Gamagori was great. Gamagori is my favirote character, dude is too legit.

Jex

In the traditional sense filler certainly means an episode of anime-adaptation of a manga where the creators of the anime invent a story not present in the manga to fill out a broadcast schedule for contractual reasons. As these were created by the staff for the show rather than the original creator such episodes were often poorly written or just nonsensical. They often got a lower budget too. All these things gave filler a negative connotation.

However, I've seen numerous uses of filler to mean an episode of the show where the main story is not progressed/characters aren't developed in any meaningful way. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with an episode where the main story isn't being progressed because I don't see a negative connotation with that. Most episodes of Cowboy Bebop are 'filler' under that definition and yet you wouldn't say that they were bad.

I honestly don't understand the fetishisation with plot-development storytelling. Plot is often the least interesting thing about a show.

rexor0717

This episode was great for world and character building. You see that the school actively tries to fuck it's students over, you see where the one star students live as well as how their families are against the no star students. Most importantly we learn that Ira sleeps in the nude and that even he has to respect the power of a Mako speech.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Why did you think we were done with monster of the week nonsense when episode 3 ended with Satsuki literally saying outright that Ryuko was going to have to run a gauntlet of monsters of the week?

sonicmj1

Unless we're talking about manga adaptations or recap episodes, it's kind of nonsensical to bring up filler. It's an original series that's as long as they wanted it to be. This episode got just as much love as any other.

LordCanti

We learned what it means to be a one star, two star, etc when it comes to perks and social status, as well as how difficult it is to be a no-star. This was also our first hint that people in the student council hierarchy might not all be completely devoted to Satsuki/her family either.

DBZ is filled with filler.

The Garlic JR saga wasn't in the manga at all, right? I've never read the manga, but I'd always heard there was plenty of filler in there.

Bleach is probably the worst example. There are so many terrible Bleach filler arcs at this point. They kept running up against the manga, so it's not like they had any choice, but it was still a shitshow.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Star Trek TNG sucked. Most episodes were just filler!

Sailor Moon? Mostly filler!

Doctor who? FILLER!

Monty Python's Flying Circus? ALL FILLER!

Self-contained episodes shouldn't be so hastily dismissed. Throwing out "filler" as if it means anything on its own is dumb. :p

harSon

Banned
We learned what it means to be a one star, two star, etc when it comes to perks and social status, as well as how difficult it is to be a no-star. This was also our first hint that people in the student council hierarchy might not all be completely devoted to Satsuki/her family either.

We knew this since the first episode...

Coconut

Banned

The Garlic JR saga wasn't in the manga at all, right? I've never read the manga, but I'd always heard there was plenty of filler in there.

Bleach is probably the worst example. There are so many terrible Bleach filler arcs at this point. They kept running up against the manga, so it's not like they had any choice, but it was still a shitshow.
I don't know man but all that stuff was made to
as padding to need to make more tapes and books to sell more stuff. I agree with you that it's world building that doesn't effect the main story arc.

LordCanti

We knew this since the first episode...

We knew they lived in their own distinct districts with different perks? I don't remember being given that information in the detail that we were this episode (for instance, one stars are in apartments, two stars are in their own villas it looks like, etc).

We knew being a no-star meant you lived in the slums, but we didn't know that the student council was abusing them to the degree that they are.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
We knew they lived in their own distinct districts with different perks? I don't remember being given that information in the detail that we were this episode (for instance, one stars are in apartments, two stars are in their own villas it looks like, etc).

We knew being a no-star meant you lived in the slums, but we didn't know that the student council was abusing them to the degree that they are.
It was mentioned before, but not fleshed out until now.

Giolon

The budget for episode 4 was laughably low, but I credit the show-runners for still managing to do some clever things and keep me entertained. I just wish the episode hadn't used a chibi look for 90% of it. Lots of Panty & Stocking vibe going on here.

Also, I nearly died when they did
Mako's transformation
in fast-forward.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
sorry guys, can't stand filler :(
people need to get the idea that this is filler out of their head, this isnt some original thing added that isnt in the manga, this anime has no manga, every episode that happens is part of the story, whether it forwards the plot or not

sleepykyo

people need to get the idea that this is filler out of their head, this isnt some original thing added that isnt in the manga, this anime has no manga, every episode that happens is part of the story, whether it forwards the plot or not

I really hate the whole not in manga = filler stuff. Just as the adaptation staff add stuff for pacing purposes, writers of the source material probably do the same. This was definitely a filler episode. That being typed, it was enjoyable filler and it is nice to see that is some dissent in the school or rather, opportunism instead the army of drones under Satsuki.

Top Bottom