• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

I really hate the whole not in manga = filler stuff.

but if its an animated show based on a manga, anything not directly from source IS FILLER. often times the anime catches up with the manga and has to do "original anime only content" to let the manga pad up some more source material.

SOMETIMES the filler becomes a 2nd telling or original anime like Full Metal Alchemist.

In this case the 4th ep has a rather "episodic" feel to it and can be considered filler. Don't confuse filler with bad quality tho, even though a LOT of filler is not exactly pulitzer winning stuff since its often stories thought on the fly and not well developed (think of the horrible naruto filler episodes, or inuyasha).

Sometimes the filler is good, like the Bleach humanized zanpaktou arc (that was fun!) but those are rare.

in any case, ep 4 was still an enjoyable tromp.

TheOGB

Banned
Filler has a negative connotation for me because of Bleach. The only good filler arcs were the Bount arc and the Zanpakuto spirit arc.

But if KLK 04 was filler, then it was damn good filler.

sleepykyo

but if its an animated show based on a manga, anything not directly from source IS FILLER. often times the anime catches up with the manga and has to do "original anime only content" to let the manga pad up some more source material.

SOMETIMES the filler becomes a 2nd telling or original anime like Full Metal Alchemist.

In this case the 4th ep has a rather "episodic" feel to it and can be considered filler. Don't confuse filler with bad quality tho, even though a LOT of filler is not exactly pulitzer winning stuff since its often stories thought on the fly and not well developed (think of the horrible naruto filler episodes, or inuyasha).

Sometimes the filler is good, like the Bleach humanized zanpaktou arc (that was fun!) but those are rare.

in any case, ep 4 was still an enjoyable tromp.

Filler is something used to fill gaps. Somehow anime watchers/manga readers have perverted it to mean that wasn't in the source and added an unneeded qualifier.

The ending in the Mist? That wasn't padding, that was closure. The maze in the Shining? A brilliant adaptation where topiary creatures would have come across as cheesy.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Filler is something used to fill gaps.
Everything fills gaps. When you have a episode schedule you fill each slot. Filler is material that does nothing but, and in obvious fashion. It's absurd to think that show staff would never willingly slow down to do a comedy episode.

sleepykyo

Everything fills gaps. Filler is material that does nothing but, and in obvious fashion. It's absurd to think that show staff would never willingly slow down to do a comedy episode.

Fair enough. I'll concede that I've gotten too used to the show dialing it up to 11 at all times.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That said, the real issue here actually isn't the definition of "filler". It's getting so hung up over what you think an episode should be that you're unable to appreciate it for what it really is. Some anime fans have been awful about this, dismissing quality entertainment without giving it a real chance. That's why one shouldn't be quick to brand something as "filler", because then brains shut off.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
This is what happens when classic episodic shows get phased out over a few decades, now when one comes along you get people thinking they're "filler" and somehow inferior.

ok heres an idea everyone
all in favor of officially changing the meaning of the word filler to something that is boring
say I
that how i view if something is filler

Filler is something used to fill gaps. Somehow anime watchers/manga readers have perverted it to mean that wasn't in the source and added an unneeded qualifier.

The ending in the Mist? That wasn't padding, that was closure. The maze in the Shining? A brilliant adaptation where topiary creatures would have come across as cheesy.

I agree with this. To me, filler is not merely something new to an anime adaptation of a manga. Filler is pointless content. Fluff. It exists to fill air time in place of content that actually has meaning or otherwise moves the story forward. KLK episode 4 struck me as filler. Entertaining filler, but filler all the same.

I can only assume people who thought this episode was filler hate Cowboy Bebop.

Apples and oranges. Cowboy Bebop has an episodic structure of fully-developed standalone stories. KLK is not that kind of show. There is a singular plot the show is following across all of its episodes.

Link Man

Banned
Apples and oranges. Cowboy Bebop has an episodic structure of fully-developed standalone stories. KLK is not that kind of show. There is a singular plot the show is following across all of its episodes.

Then this episode can be seen as a plot by the antagonists to prevent Ryuko from achieving her goals. Boom, instant relevance.

Although, now that I think on it, the disciplinary committee didn't go out of their way to hinder Ryuko any more than the other students, they were rather fair in that regard. It was only
Maiko
that acted as a direct antagonist in this episode. So I guess what I said kind of falls through.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm impressed. Only 4 eps in and you already know the rest of the show.

I'm impressed. Only 4 eps in and you already know the rest of the show.

Yes, after 4 eps I can tell KLK is not an episodic anime. Having a main story was the big tell. The only plot in Bebop that spanned more than one episode was the business between Spike, Vicious, and the syndicate, and it only crossed 5.

sonicmj1

Yes, after 4 eps I can tell KLK is not an episodic anime. Having a story was the big tell. The only plot in Bebop that spanned more than one episode was the business between Spike, Vicious, and the syndicate, and it only crossed 5.

So what are the things that made this fight against the oppressive system of the school irrelevant? Because if we're just judging it by how it directly advances Ryuuko's aims of discovering her father's killer, then half of the show (episodes 2 and 4) has been "filler".

So what are the things that made this fight against the oppressive system of the school irrelevant? Because if we're just judging it by how it directly advances Ryuuko's aims of discovering her father's killer, then half of the show (episodes 2 and 4) has been "filler".

It just didn't advance anything. The whole episode was Ryuuko going to school. As I said before, it was entertaining, I enjoyed it, but I definitely think it could be categorized as filler.

Although, now that I think on it, the disciplinary committee didn't go out of their way to hinder Ryuko any more than the other students, they were rather fair in that regard. It was only
Maiko
that acted as a direct antagonist in this episode. So I guess what I said kind of falls through.

Well, it appears the last trap she sprung was part of the overall plan, since Ira asked about the final trap earlier in the episode.
Stealing the Kaumi appeared to be all Maiko though - unless the plan all along was to steal it, just not to go as far as usurp Satsuki.

As for the filler debate, I think that's a designation that can only be given when the series is over, and we can see just how much effect this episode had on the overall story.

You know what, it did introduce a new character, Maiko. If she comes back in some capacity, then I don't think I'd be very justified in referring to this as a filler episode.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes, after 4 eps I can tell KLK is not an episodic anime. Having a main story was the big tell. The only plot in Bebop that spanned more than one episode was the business between Spike, Vicious, and the syndicate, and it only crossed 5.
Bebop had a main story, and it covered several episodes. That didn't stop it from being episodic as well.

A better example of this is Sailor Moon, which is episodic and has plot arcs throughout. Out of 200 episodes, only 3 can really be considered filler.

Bebop had a main story, and it covered several episodes. That didn't stop it from being episodic as well.

Yeah, 5 episodes out of 26 (5, 12, 13, 25, 26).

Look, it could totally change after the next couple episodes with Ryuuko and Mako going on new standalone adventures outside of the school each week, but I just don't see that happening. You can usually get a feel for a show's structure pretty early on.

Link Man

Banned
You know what I would deem as filler? Recap episodes. Let's hope that's one area in which this show doesn't take after Gurren Lagann.

That said, the real issue here actually isn't the definition of "filler". It's getting so hung up over what you think an episode should be that you're unable to appreciate it for what it really is. Some anime fans have been awful about this, dismissing quality entertainment without giving it a real chance. That's why one shouldn't be quick to brand something as "filler", because then brains shut off.

You sound pretty bitter about this.

Watched the first 3 two days ago and the 4th yesterday. As a huge fan of Gurren Lagann, holy shit, what a fantastic fun show. It's funny, it's epic and the characters are really charismatic.
The best thing of all, you can sense the show is always making fun of itself.

The 4th episode is fantastic in that regard, any show can have horrible cheap animation, but making most of it, thats what makes this episode stand out from any other cheap shitty episode a series can have. They said, look we don't have near as much money to make animation great here, let's then make fun of it.
And for me it's not filler at all, in fact, it reminded me of Cowboy Bebop, my favourite anime series ever.
Remember all of that episode of Gurren Lagann that had, lets call it, it's own style? You felt it was there, in the middle doing nothing, the style making it something out of nowhere, and it even clashed with the rest of the show. The 4th episode of Kill la Kill? Like if it was at home with the rest of them, I felt it was perfect.
And it was so much fun, had a huge grin on my face the whole time.

Can't wait to see where this series goes, when the own school arc finishes and all goes bigger. Maybe other schools in space or some other crazy awesome idea?

Kinyou

You know what I would deem as filler? Recap episodes. Let's hope that's one area in which this show doesn't take after Gurren Lagann.
One recap epsiode halfway trough the season would be pretty standard. Then again, the plot isn't really that complicated, so maybe it can do without.

i think we need to dial it back, some people getting wayyyy too defensive about the word filler. Maybe filler is too big a word since it brings up memories of crap or unrelated things and might have become synonymous with it.

i guess i can account that to PFSD, post-filler stress disorder. we've seen some shit mang.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Completely hilarious episode and I was entertained throughout. I have zero problems with more monster-of-the-week/episodic/filler/whateveryoucallit if it's as fun as this.

i just realized something:

PVodMxX.jpg

the old ladies are growing guns in a pot.

we are going to have to study each frame for every episode to get the full aspect of it!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Filler talk is strange. This really isn't a plot driven show. It's really more about the in-the-moment cartoon wackiness and this episode delivered plenty of that.

Also all the hidden jokes are amazing. I miss all of them without fail.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Pulp Fiction, Terminator 2, I want a tumblr that lists all the references and easter eggs.

Personally I think the show could only improve if they dumped the plot and just had wacky hi-jinks every week.

Plot is not this series' strength.

I understand that viewpoint, but I don't agree with it. For me, context is necessary no matter how asinine it is unless it's a 100% absurdist comedy like Sexy Commando, which is something I don't really want out of an action series. With no plot, build up is less important, which in turn makes some of the awesomeness going on less effective. If Gurren Lagann was just robot fighting with no plot, it wouldn't have effected me anywhere near as much as it did.

This is also why I generally don't like episodic series that aren't comedies.

so1337

Late to the party on this but...

Episode 4

-Full-on comedy hijinks with ghetto-ass production values? SIGN ME UP.
-This episode somehow managed to be even more energetic than the last few episodes despite relying on wobbly still frames for a good chunk of time.
-Near the end there's a scene where Gamagori turns his head in the span of two frames which is fucking hilarious. The shoddy production actually adds to the humour.

Also, it literally turns into Metal Slug at some point. Bonus points for that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I understand that viewpoint, but I don't agree with it. For me, context is necessary no matter how asinine it is unless it's a 100% absurdist comedy like Sexy Commando, which is something I don't really want out of an action series. With no plot, build up is less important, which in turn makes some of the awesomeness going on less effective. If Gurren Lagann was just robot fighting with no plot, it wouldn't have effected me anywhere near as much as it did.

This is also why I generally don't like episodic series that aren't comedies.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex was explicitly half main arc, and half episodic. It even classified episodes accordingly, and some of the best episodes as well as some of the most impact were the episodic ones.

You say context is important, but providing a view outside the main action builds context as well. There IS a world outside the core cast and core conflict. Mushishi in particular slowly builds its world before tying it all together at the end. Planetes does so more explicitly.

Jex

Maybe to you.

If we're talking about an action anime series the plot is usually a relatively simple premise to give the characters some motivation to do something. It's important the characters have reasons to do what they do but that's not usually the main thrust of the work. Most of the attention tends to go towards characterization and action sequences. If we've got an interesting, unique setting there's room for world building as well. But that's anime for you, it's main strengths lie in interesting, transformative, visuals rather than great writing.

This episode of Kill la Kill was pretty much a purely comedic exercise and that's great. It demonstrates that the show can be good without even addressing the main storyline in any substantial way.

Top Bottom