• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was rewatching the episode and forgot to post about this Saint Seiya reference the first time:

ibwS1vj6ZAFm93.jpg

ibppKJMVef83SS.jpg

Anyone familiar with the old series will remember the overused "uppercut followed by the enemy flying and falling on their heads with blood splashing" that would happen in many battles (mostly in the manga since Kurumada rehashed panels all the time). I can't find a scene that has the same composition as the one in KlK but I'm pretty sure it exists.

T6pOYtS.jpg
v52dJSp.png

The PS2 game used this too, at the end of every fight whoever lost would fall on their heads the exact same way, regardless of whatever was the final move.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
There is most definitely an overarching plot going on. Whether it's important to you or not doesn't change that.
Well yeah, but I'm saying the show is driven more by the gags and action sequences, and the plot is there to give context and bridge them together.
The plot here is utterly ridiculous and so far hasn't been treated seriously. The internal logic has been slave to whatever surreal humour the creators want to throw in.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex was explicitly half main arc, and half episodic. It even classified episodes accordingly, and some of the best episodes as well as some of the most impact were the episodic ones.

You say context is important, but providing a view outside the main action builds context as well. There IS a world outside the core cast and core conflict. Mushishi in particular slowly builds its world before tying it all together at the end. Planetes does so more explicitly.

I never said it was bad, just a preference thing. I don't like GiTS or Mushishi partially for that reason either. Though I do like Planetes.

Also, I would consider character development and world building as part of the overarching plot in the sense that they can be meaningful for it.

If we're talking about an action anime series the plot is usually a relatively simple premise to give the characters some motivation to do something. It's important the characters have reasons to do what they do but that's not usually the main thrust of the work. Most of the attention tends to go towards characterization and action sequences. If we've got an interesting, unique setting there's room for world building as well. But that's anime for you, it's main strengths lie in interesting, transformative, visuals rather than great writing.

This episode of Kill la Kill was pretty much a purely comedic exercise and that's great. It demonstrates that the show can be good without even addressing the main storyline in any substantial way.

All I was contesting was your opinion on plot-development being the least interesting part of a show.

Well yeah, but I'm saying the show is driven more by the gags and action sequences, and the plot is there to give context and bridge them together.
The plot here is utterly ridiculous and so far hasn't been treated seriously. The internal logic has been slave to whatever surreal humour the creators want to throw in.

Why does "not taken seriously" have to mean "can't be effective"? There's no way Blood-C or Valvrave are treated seriously by their staff, yet that doesn't mean I can't get a bit emotional over certain developments.

I was rewatching the episode and forgot to post about this Saint Seiya reference the first time:

mK67Gu1.jpg

OJ4SjWL.jpg

Anyone familiar with the old series will remember the overused "uppercut followed by the enemy flying and falling on their heads with blood splashing" that would happen in many battles (mostly in the manga since Kurumada rehashed panels all the time). I can't find a scene that has the same composition as the one in KlK but I'm pretty sure it exists.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/T6pOYtS.jpg[/IMG] [IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/v52dJSp.png[/IMG]

The PS2 game used this too, at the end of every fight whoever lost would fall on their heads the exact same way, regardless of whatever was the final move.

Oh yes; my brain was telling "I know this, I know this" I just didn't pinpoint what it was. Thought it may have been hokuto no ken; but yeah, that blood and punch is totally Saint Seiya.

edit: that in specific may be Shiryu's attack owning a silver saint.

I liked this past episode more than the previous ones considering how the fights tend to follow such a predictable formula. This was refreshing and off-beat

mr. Bibappu

Neo Member
The pace of this show is so freakin insane that watching regular stuff afterwords just doesn't
cut it anymore... so i started watching TTGL again and even that is too mellow at times lol

dan2026

All I was contesting was your opinion on plot-development being the least interesting part of a show.

What is the plot in essence?

'You killed mah dad now lets everyone fight using super suits!'.
Also lots of tits and ass.

Its nothing. If this show wasn't comedic at heart it would have nothing.

Like I said I was an episode away from dropping it, but as episode 4 was really fucking funny, I'm going to continue.

You can simplify a lot of things that way.

Evangelion: 'my dad is mean cause he made me pilot a robot, so now I have to fight and be sad'.

We don't know where the plot will go, but there are already mysteries surrounding it that some might find compelling.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Like I said I was an episode away from dropping it, but as episode 4 was really fucking funny, I'm going to continue.
what the hell kind of simplification is that?

Coconut

Banned

It's the Macguffin.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Latest episode was fucking awesome, I liked how the first half of the episode was stystically like a awesome platform level; lots of obstacles, platforms etc, really great sense of place, despite the overall randomness of the episode and the show itself in general.

Not even sure how this episode classifies as filler honestly. For all we know the episode could've set up
a future story arc for Maiko
presuming she shows up again past this episode.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say the Mako's mom wears the suit at some point. They already had some naughty interaction.

or i can hear c87 pens drawing up a doujin soon.

Kill la Kill 3 + 4

Each episode is fortified with your recommended weekly allowance of thrillpower and lewd. Side effects to overdosing may include insomnia, bouncing off walls, loud screaming and impulses to get naked. Do not mix with other sources of thrillpower and lewd.

Now excuse me while I bounce off the walls all night signing to Camo & Krooked naked.

Bradlums

episode 4 was the best by far comedy wise. even the action was pretty decent. I haven't watched an anime in years but I think I'm officially hooked on this one

edit: boobs

omg I just watch Gurren Lagann for first time! this is nuts! Amazing and unbelievable loved every second of it I cant believe I never watch it before.
And on that bombshell cant wait to re-watch this anime' 1 st episode!
I was sad attack on Titan ended now I am happy as I have Kill la Kill to look forward to !

Soriku

omg I just watch Gurren Lagann for first time! this is nuts! Amazing and unbelievable loved every second of it I cant believe I never watch it before.
I was sad attack on Titan ended now I am happy as I have Kill la Kill to look forward to !

Part of the reason Gurren Lagann is good is because there are battle scenes like very ep and it's all crazy.

Nerokis

Hahaha. I feel like we are on the same anime path! Attack on Titan more or less got me back on track, it was over and Kill la Kill seemed interesting so I did some research and learned the name Hiroyuki Imaishi, that lead me to watching Re: Cutie Honey (pretty good!), Gurren Lagann (this may now be my favorite anime of all time), and finally Kill la Kill. Loving it so far. I'm curious to see if it will ever pull out a surprising intelligence. :p

And I hate to bring this lowest of discussion points to this thread, but I've enjoyed Ryuko's reactions to being in such a revealing outfit. There's something about her that makes it really hard to see her character as sexual/sexualized, regardless of all the T&A. It's a unique phenomenon. Now, the part of this I'm actually hesitant to bring up: those following Lightning Returns will know of the bit of controversy surrounding the sexualization of Lightning's character. Watching Kill la Kill, I couldn't help but to think to myself, "Wow, Lightning should have had the same response as Ryuko. That could have actually been really endearing!"

Anyway, very much looking forward to the next episode. :)

Just watched the first episode on Crunchyroll.

Mako totally steals the show. Way too cute. Also I recognize (even though I don't know the names) 5 or 6 voices, and definitely the boxer

Pretty fun opening episode, I will watch the rest.

Gazoinks

Just watched the first episode on Crunchyroll.

Mako totally steals the show. Way too cute. Also I recognize (even though I don't know the names) 5 or 6 voices, and definitely the boxer

Pretty fun opening episode, I will watch the rest.

You have not even begun to Mako.

Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese! Cheese!

Just marathoned the first 4 episodes Yesterday, loved it. Gurren Lagann mixed with Panty and Stocking works really well and the animation is so insanely entertaining.

Only issue I can really find with the show is that despite it being so completely enjoyable, I can't really think of anyone I could recommend this to. You have to have a good amount of knowledge of anime tropes and a certain level of awareness of the crazy Japanese gag stuff that the average person is probably not going to be able to get past that stuff to get to the cool action and interesting story.

I really have to commend the writers on making what is essentially a female shonen hero that isn't constantly reminding you that she's a girl...With her dialog, at least. Every time I've seen a female shonen hero they've always just sort of felt off, like, I don't know exactly how to put it, but it's a feeling I get.

Top Bottom