• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Do you guys really consider that episode 3 advanced the plot enough? It was a "hey yeah let's have this big fight!" ... "no, wait, OMOSHIROI! Now let's get back exactly were we started! Fight the little bad guys!".

It had no repercussion. That's another thing I don't like from this show. The pace is fast as hell, but... nothing really happens.

It also had Ryuko learning how to use Senketsu, which is FAR from inconsequential in the overarching plot. It's the equivalent of Simon becoming badass in TTGL.

Evilisk

KLK is 26 episodes, not 6.

It doesn't matter how long it is. Slow pacing is still slow pacing.

I see we're doing the "filler" thing again, neat.

Besides maybe that interesting conversation between Mako and Gamagoori (which might come back later on, or not be important at all) and (
Ogure, who may not even be coming back since she got kicked out of school anyway
) yeah I'm calling it filler.

Maybe I might not even be complaining about the pacing issues if I didn't watch it. An episode of not really progressing the plot or beating any of the Captains is definitely not a good follow up to all of the build up that happened in episode 3.

It also had Ryuko learning how to use Senketsu, which is FAR from inconsequential in the overarching plot. It's the equivalent of Simon becoming badass in TTGL.

That is true. But Ryuko isn't at the point she even needs that extra power yet. Yeah it'll be easier down the line since we've gone through the extra power up already but it still felt pretty pointless to have all of that, and yet for the next few episodes she's still gonna be fighting the 2-Stars that she could more or less beat even before she got the upgrade.

I'm not saying it's pointless but it's a bit unnecessary this early on and it's definitely not convincing me that this show is gonna be worth watching 22 more episodes of.

I'm still at that point where I'm still not sure about this show, and it's a real shame since I really want to like this show.

That is true. But Ryuko isn't at the point she even needs that extra power yet. Yeah it'll be easier down the line since we've gone through the extra power up already but it still felt pretty pointless to have all of that, and yet for the next few episodes she's still gonna be fighting the 2-Stars that she could more or less beat even before she got the upgrade.

I'm not saying it's pointless but it's a bit unnecessary this early on and it's definitely not convincing me that this show is gonna be worth watching 22 more episodes of.

I'm still at that point where I'm still not sure about this show, and it's a real shame since I really want to like this show.

If she hadn't learned to use Seketsu when she did, Aikuro would have had to step in to stop Satsuki killing her and probably Mako. It was already necessary the moment she learned it.

I felt like that was the point, she obtains this extra power and yet still couldn't beat her. Showing us just how strong Satsuki really is. I understand not everyone is going to like the show. Hopefully you end up enjoying all of it :D

Today's the day for Episode 5, who's excited?! =P

Today's the day for Episode 5, who's excited?! =P

You should be. Trigger gifted you a keyframe:

ep04rykst012.jpg

Evilisk

If she hadn't learned to use Seketsu when she did, Aikuro would have had to step in to stop Satsuki killing her and probably Mako. It was already necessary the moment she learned it.

Somehow I managed to forget about this important detail lol

Alright it's not unnecessary, but I still feel it's hurt the pacing of the show though for me (especially having episode 4 as the follow up).

Regardless, I'm really hoping today's episode doesn't disappoint.

Somehow I managed to forget about this important detail lol

Alright it's not unnecessary, but I still feel it's hurt the pacing of the show though for me (especially having episode 4 as the follow up).

Regardless, I'm really hoping today's episode doesn't disappoint.

Yeah, I would say that slipping into MOW/episodic felt a bit anti-climactic and took the edge off the previous sense of urgency. I liked what they did with episode 4 though and found it really entertaining. Going forward I think things will hinge on how interesting and exciting the battles are, and how much Ryuko learns from them or during them. Based on what they've done so far and the preview for 5 I think it's looking good. I'm glad I'm in the camp that's enjoying the episodic stuff though.

My kind of guys! Where did they post this beauty?

They post a bunch of art in their email newsletter each week. Mako's Dadception:

It's the mysterious guy from the opening.

Also not sure whether the 5 is to represent episode 5, or whether he has some connection to the school and the Three-Star characters (there are four of them, maybe he's a banished/exiled fifth?).

Maybe both? The red streak in his hair is making me think he's somehow related to Ryuko, but it's most likely just a design choice.

7Th

Anyone worried about the pacing or a traditional "monster of the week" format should be really relieved after watching episode 5:
half of the bosses shown in the OP got beaten and next week Ryuuko is getting her first Elite Four battle.

LordCanti

This show just keeps delivering. The name of their
rebel group
is freaking
Nudist Beach!
How can you not love that?!

As always, Mako is the best. Mako la Mako forever.

Gazoinks

Kill La Kill 05

This episode was awesome. Got a little world info
Nudist Beach. NUDIST BEACH.
some nice character moments (hopefully we'll see more of that, it's the main thing the series has been lacking so far imo), and some good action.

Mako even more best.
PatbKvM.gif

She should also join the wrestling club.

LordCanti

I like how they subvert expectations. Club crawl/monster of the week? No sir. Mako's saved
within thirty seconds of us finding out she's been kidnapped.

Now we know that there is a
rebellion
with
anti-goku/kamui
weapons, which kind of changes the dynamic a bit. We also learned that
someone else had tried to wear either a Kamui or a Goku in the past, and got their head literally chopped off in the process.
That may have been a glimpse into the process that went into
creating the Kamui.

Down with clothing.

I cast off my cotton shackles every time I go to watch Kill la Kill.

Gazoinks

I like how they subvert expectations. Club crawl/monster of the week? No sir. Mako's saved
within thirty seconds of us finding out she's been kidnapped.

Now we know that there is a
rebellion
with
anti-goku/kamui
weapons, which kind of changes the dynamic a bit. We also learned that
someone else had tried to wear either a Kamui or a Goku in the past, and got their head literally chopped off in the process.
That may have been a glimpse into the process that went into
creating the Kamui.

Bet it was Ryuko's mom.

duckroll

Episode 5

Good episode. Great 80s style action movie tone. The new character has a really nice design, and I actually dig the stuff they're building here with regards to the factions beyond the school. I don't really enjoy the school club stuff much, since other than being stupid and over the top, but I really dig what they did with this episode. It's self-contained as an episodic conflict, but it also peals away some of the layers in the larger scope of the world. Some good action too, although I wasn't really sold on the entire musical inspired direction towards the end of the fight. Lol.

The new guy really, really rocks though. Fantastic design. The best one next to Mako in the show so far. <3

Articalys

Well, that was certainly a lot better than last week for me. Good episode.

They're going to have one of those random Mako interruptions during the main fight in every single episode, aren't they. Sometimes it's better to show a bit of restraint...

Dresden

Best episode so far. Stylish as fuck with great direction and Sawano's work is growing on me, even if half the tracks are variations on the same theme.

Shergal

Yeah, episode 5 was fucking tops. Tsumugu is amazing. Even if I liked the comedy in 4, this ep demonstrates the wonders a bit of seriousness and focused drive can do. It also works well to flesh out some of the core relationships, at least to the extent a show like this needs by this point.

My only complaint is that I'm way too tired of Mako's schtick. It was already boring in ep 4, now it's just completely lame. That'll hopefully be solved when her ep comes in two weeks though!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill Episode 5:

Well, now we know where the budget for Episode 4 went. Indeed after an interlude of comedy we return to the main narrative and the name of the game is escalation as Ryuko is challenged by a new assailant, and it appears Punk Hazard here is a true wild card in the mix of things. Epsidode 4 was clearly a showcase of the comedy side of this show, here now we see what Kill la Kill can do with action and it impresses and uses its manic energy to great effect. We also get many portents of the larger world and backstory, and after sitting through Kyousougiga's endless fucking backstory and exposition, it is welcoming to watch shit gradually unfurl as the narrative moves forward. Also, this is just speculation, but I get the feeling that Kensai may be eviller than Honnouji.

cntr

Banned
Episode 5

Fun and cute episode.

The sewing machine gun is cool. Mako is as great as always, and we get some interesting plot setups, possibly leading to what's behind Life Fiber. Senketsu and Ryuko's interactions were great, and very sweet towards the end. (I bet we're going to see quite some SenketsuxRyuko shipping from fans now!) Also, NUDIST BEACH. WHAT A NAME. And some promotion for the letter opener!

Episode was brilliant, having the world fleshed out a little more was good, raised some questions that I hope we get the answers too. Generally enjoyed it throughout. Ryuko still being great!

My only fault with the episode...real lack of butt scenes, except a certain
nudist

That nipple in the preview for episode 6!

Bet it was Ryuko's mom.

This is the first thought that came to my mind.

Gazoinks

Haven't heard too much about Ryuko's Family. It would seem to me that Tsumugu is her Brother simply based on the Hair coloration

Yeah, I thought of that as well. Although the way I currently see it, it seems more like red and black is for anyone against the school, whereas blue and white is for anyone with the school (including Stupid Sexy Sensei, since he's undercover).

Haven't heard too much about Ryuko's Family. It would seem to me that Tsumugu is her Brother simply based on the Hair coloration

Yeah, the hair made me think he could be related to her from the preview but..

Yeah, I thought of that as well. Although the way I currently see it, it seems more like red and black is for anyone against the school, whereas blue and white is for anyone with the school (including Stupid Sexy Sensei, since he's undercover).

...this seems to be a thing, so I'm not to sure what I think at the moment.

ceZ7lkD.jpg

WHY

Top Bottom