• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Gazoinks

If Mako gets a kamui this will beat Inferno Cop as Anime of The Forever.

Kill la Kill Epsiode 5
Who the hell do you think I am?! My needle is the needle that will pierce the Heavens!

Tsumugu the gun needle wielding badass voiced by the Katsuyuki Konishi who voice Kamina of Gurren Lagann.

It's like Kamina, Kittan, and Yoko had some kind of teleporter accident. Or maybe a kinky lovechild.

Soma

dis episode tho.
iiahifxFp7rwj.png

Five episodes in and we haven't had a bad one yet.

Brutalx2

Just watched episode 5 and let me tell you something...this dude is amazing ! i laughed so much! Easily the best anime so far !

Gazoinks

I was glad to see more character moments in this episode. Even quick moments like this count for a lot.
iPiP3Hj.jpg

Hopefully this trend will continue.

rexor0717

Kill la Kill Epsiode 5
Who the hell do you think I am?! My needle is the needle that will pierce the Heavens!

Tsumugu the gun needle wielding badass voiced by the Katsuyuki Konishi who voice Kamina of Gurren Lagann.

He is? *spits out food* Time to watch that episode again.

Dresden

I mean, they DO establish in the beginning how odd it looks when Ryuko is talking to Senketsu.

SHOW ME THE BIRTH CERTIFICATES

Crazy that out of the 5 episodes we've had, not a single one has been bad or even "just good". They've all be great at the very worst.

This show has single handedly restored my faith in Thursdays!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Episode 5

Disappointing. Yet another filler ep with no progress on the revenge plot.

This is how stupid it sounds.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kill la Kill Epsiode 5

welp, best character confirmed

OnFire331

Goddamn, best episode so far and this time it was well animated all throughout. Nonon and Tsumugu were fucking awesome, and finally some concrete hints at what Mako's true role in the story is (hopefully to be revealed in episode 7).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Crazy that out of the 5 episodes we've had, not a single one has been bad or even "just good". They've all be great at the very worst.

This show has single handedly restored my faith in Thursdays!

I feel the same way too. Every episode of the show has been consistently stylistically fucking awesome.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Trying to sort out the backstory so far.

Major Characters:
Ryuko Matoi
Isshin Matoi
Satsuki Kiryuin
Mr. Kiryuin
Mrs. Kiryuin
Aikuro Mikisugi
Tsumugu Kinigase
Kinue

Factions:
Life Fiber Research Team
Nudist Beach
Honnouji Academy

Weapons:
Goku Uniforms
Junketsu
Senketsu
Scissor Blade

Originally, the Life Fiber Research Team consisted of Aikuro, Tsumugo, Isshin, maybe some others and probably headed by Kinue. Working under the sponsorship of the Kiryuin family, they looked for ways to create super powered uniforms that would enable wearers to far exceed the limits of the human body. Somewhere along the way, Kinue was consumed by a prototype Kamui, probably Junketsu, and realizing the horrific possibilities of Life Fiber clothing, Aikuro, Tsumugo and Isshin left the research team. Junketsu was sealed away until one day when Satsuki could wear it (why? I have no idea).

With the results of the research, the Kiryuin family began mass producing Goku uniforms, using them to overwhelm the rest of Japan's high schools and create a totalitarian society based around Honnouji Academy, with Kansai as the last stronghold against the Kiryuin family's rule. Seeing this abuse of their research and Kinue's legacy, Aikuro, Tsumugo and Isshin formed Nudist Beach, a resistance against the rule of the Kiryuins. Using their experience with the Life Fiber research, they developed anti-uniform weaponry like Tsumugu's needles, the ultimate result of which is the Scissor Blade, a weapon not only capable of destroying Goku uniforms, but also taking away their Life Fibers.

Realizing that even with the Scissor Blade, the Nudists were limited by their human bodies while the Kiryuin still retain possession of Junketsu, Isshin recreated the Kamui using his past research as a last resort for the Nudists, which is Senketsu. Getting wind of this new Kamui, the Kiryuins (maybe Satsuki herself) attempted to steal it, but they could not find it. Instead, they managed to acquire the Blue Scissor Blade before they were forced to retreat.

Now, Ryuko, inheriting the will of her father, shows up at Honnouji Academy to challenge Satsuki. Satsuki, for her part, knows far more about the history of the Kamui than Ryuko, Aikuro and maybe even her parents realize. I think her plan is to let Ryuko acquire all the Life Fibers from the club heads, and then take it all in one go by defeating Ryuko and Senketsu while using the Blue Scissor Blade.

Gazoinks

Junketsu was sealed away until one day when Satsuki could wear it (why? I have no idea).

I'd guess Mr. or Mrs. Kiryuin was also one of the creators of the Kamuis. The research was halted with only Junketsu and Sanketsu made, but they then used the research they'd come up with to make the Goku uniforms, weaker derivatives of the Kamuis.

Also, I believe Isshin didn't own the scissor blade. I think it's implied in the first episode that Isshin was killed by someone with the scissor, who left behind the red scissor and escaped with only the blue. Ryuko doesn't seem to know much about the red scissor.

Otherwise I think this is probably fairly accurate unless they throw in a big twist at some point.

MartyStu

I'd guess Mr. or Mrs. Kiryuin was also one of the creators of the Kamuis. The research was halted with only Junketsu and Sanketsu made, but they then used the research they'd come up with to make the Goku uniforms, weaker derivatives of the Kamuis.

Also, I believe Isshin didn't own the scissor blade. I think it's implied in the first episode that Isshin was killed by someone with the scissor, who left behind the red scissor and escaped with only the blue. Ryuko doesn't seem to know much about the red scissor.

Otherwise I think this is probably fairly accurate unless they throw in a big twist at some point.

Not a matter of if. When.

We should start a betting pool on when it will actually happen.

Haly

I don't think so. It's clear the Kamui are the end-all and be-all of Life Fiber technology. The research which was stolen by the defecting scientists are being reversed engineered by the Sewing Club. You can see that they are trying to create uniforms with a greater and greater ratio of Life Fibers, which wouldn't make sense if the Kiryuins actually knew the secrets of the Kamui.

Yeah, that's the part I'm having trouble explaining away, why a faction that's trying to rule through uniforms create a weapon capable of countering these uniforms. I'm pretty sure it's made by Isshin.

In my alternate theory, Junketsu and Senketsu were created at the same time, and the "wedding day" refers to when they are united with each other to become the ultimate Kamui.

Haly

Whoever killed Isshin wanted Ryuuko to search for her; I'm pretty sure of this.

Me too, leaving behind half the Scissor Blade was deliberate, which implies that it's Satsuki, because she's the only one with designs concerning the Scissor Blade and Senketsu at the moment. But she seemed genuinely surprised at the appearance of Ryuko at the academy. Clearly, she knows about the Scissor Blade, but if her information network is that extensive (or she was the one to bait Ryuko) she should also know who Ryuko is.

MartyStu

Me too, leaving behind half the Scissor Blade was deliberate, which implies that it's Satsuki, because she's the only one with designs concerning the Scissor Blade and Senketsu at the moment. But she seemed genuinely surprised at the appearance of Ryuko at the academy. Clearly, she knows about the Scissor Blade, but if her information network is that extensive (or she was the one to bait Ryuko) she should also know who Ryuko is.

I do not think it is Satsuki. I think we are either missing a player, or misconstruing the intentions/ambitions of a current one.

Gazoinks

It's probably a plan orchestrated by her mom, she wants Ryuko to power up Sanketsu for some reason (I like the wedding theory.. Doesn't really explain Satsuki's surprise though.

Also, I'm guessing Ryuko and Satsuki's dads both had their personalities implanted into the Kamui or something along those lines. I vaguely recall Sanketsu's character bio saying he has her dad's "fighting spirit" or something, plus the eyepatch. If Ryuko's mom was
the one who went boom with the Kamui
, that accounts for every family member too.

Haly

So what you're saying is, Isshin Matoi, after getting killed, reincarnated as a sailor uniform and tried to rape Ryuko.

Okay Trigger, okay.

TheOGB

Banned
She's not surprised she's there, just that she's there so early. Satsuki is only appearing to go through with her mother's plan, but is actually joining all the schools and forcing Ryuko to power up in order to stop her mother's tyranny.
But then it'll turn out that Mako is a mole planted by Mrs. Kiryuin

Betrayaltons everywhere

LordCanti

I like that the one guys face mask opens only when he speaks and then automatically shuts again when he stops. It's the little things.

Haly

She's not surprised she's there, just that she's there so early.

This works, it recontextualizes her actions from "I will use this opportunity to my advantage and usurp my parents' authority" to "I must speed up my plans to etc etc".

Evilisk

Episode 5

Disappointing. Yet another filler ep with no progress on the revenge plot.

This is how stupid it sounds.

Two captains offed in this episode.
Technically the plot moved forward :p

I'm still standing by my point however. Episode 4 was pure filler, as stupid as it may sound.

Maybe I'll explain why I think that later when I have time for a write up.

Episode 5

Now I can't stop thinking about those brooms. Thanks guys.

Annnnnd, how many variations of Don't Lose Your Way will we have before this show is done?

LordCanti

Episode 5

Now I can't stop thinking about those brooms. Thanks guys.

Annnnnd, how many variations of Don't Lose Your Way will we have before this show is done?

I don't want them to stop until it's been played on every instrument known to man. I want didgeridoo and vuvuzela renditions.

Haly

No way Senketsu is Isshin; that would break way too many fangirl dreams.

It's okay, they're not related by blood.

Satsuki and Ryuko are actually test tube children created specifically to wear Kamui. When Isshin and co defected from the Kiryuins, they took Senketsu and fetus Ryuko with them.

rexor0717

It's okay, they're not related by blood.

Satsuki and Ryuko are actually test tube children created specifically to wear Kamui.

lol

Can't say I have any evidence, but maybe the one that killed Ryuko's father was Satsuki's mother. That'd be my guess.

LordCanti

I think it's more likely that they're being made entirely from life fibers, or something. Maybe. You can tell because she's got that red streak in her hair mannnnnnnn.

TheOGB

Banned
So you're saying Ryuko was created to be the Ultimate Life Form

Add to this the fact that she doesn't know everything about her past but she's hellbent on revenge for a slain loved one that she may have misunderstood

rexor0717

After Gurren Lagann, I can't say that I have any idea of where this show is going to end up. I assume her mid-series power up will be getting the other scissor blade, but I doubt it'll end there.

LordCanti

After Gurren Lagann, I can't say that I have any idea of where this show is going to end up. I assume her mid-series power up will be getting the other scissor blade, but I doubt it'll end there.

Somehow she's got to get power that can't be taken completely away by some guy with a needle firing gun. The same kind of goes for Satsuki.

Top Bottom