• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

just realized, the new dude's catch phrase is pretty much word for word to what Viral from Gurren Lagann says in his introductory episode

Man, you're right. That's amusing. Both disruptors that appear early on and end up catalysing the strengthening of the protagonists relationship.
And potentially come back later to help out.

sonicmj1

Death Billiards? Haven't heard of that name before, but DEATH BILLIARDS is hilariously awesome sounding.

Death Billiards is a short from Anime Mirai, the same government training project for young animators that produced Little Witch Academia. It's a cool anime. Definitely worth a watch.

On-topically, I'm betting we'll see some interesting twists concerning Mako then.

My personal theory:
She's a spy sent to watch over Ryuko, but she'll switch over to Ryuko's side with the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.

The only reason I have trouble buying into any crazy "Mako is secretly super-powerful" theories is that none of it seems to make sense with her family the way it is.

Chariot

The only reason I have trouble buying into any crazy "Mako is secretly super-powerful" theories is that none of it seems to make sense with her family the way it is.
The family is so weird, either the all play the game or maybe they are like Makos Subordinates. Just imagine Mako and family suddenly acting professional and being like disciplined and badass soldiers.

As much as I love seeing Makos underboob, not having her diva hand wave this episode was the only negative for me....

In all seriousness this anime has been pretty awesome so far. The speculation about my favorite character on the show though makes me feel good about not being alone. As much as I love a Mako speech, I hope she really is deeper then we think. Since she is with the others threaded in the opening credits and last weeks episode I'm hoping my prediction of her being forced into a suit or being a bit smarter than her appearances shows us comes true. If not I'll still love her wacky randomness and fan service as she brings a good feeling charm to klk.

Whats the big deal with episode 7 you guys keep posting abput btw?

Actual facts: episode 7 was called by writer Nakashima "the must-watch for Mako fans"; it would sound pretty normal if it wasn't for the fact that episode 7 is also supposed to be a serious episode by Yuzuru Tachikawa, director of Death Billiards.

Oh holy moly didn't know about those facts :O

Also adding the 7th episode was the one where in Gurren Lagann all the people said holy shit in a big way, so this people seem to love making 7th episodes a big special thing in the series they make.

sleepykyo

I'd imagine Mako getting pummeled and surviving without the least concern for her safety will simply be a running gag for the sake of a running gag.

On that note, I really liked this episode. The addition of anti clothes/Kamui technology along with a competent user are a nice addition to the series.

Superflat

Ryuko is one of the most likable, cool main protagonists in some time.

Mako is one of the most likable, funny supporting characters in some time.

I've been waiting for the Music Club leader (Nonon) to get thrown into the mix. I immediately recognized her voice in the first episode as Haruko from FLCL so I've been super hyped for her proper introduction ever since.

I love everything that's happening in this show.

~Gurren Lagann implied spoilers follow in the tags~
I really hope Ryuko's comment on Mako
"getting herself killed one day" doesn't end with her actually dying. That'd be horrible. Especially because it's aping a bit much from Gurren to copy it's format, no matter how fantastic it is.

And I'd miss Mako way more than Kamina tbh :\

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
"getting herself killed one day" doesn't end with her actually dying. That'd be horrible. Especially because it's aping a bit much from Gurren to copy it's format, no matter how fantastic it is.

If anyone dies, it'd be Ryuko, to make way for MAKO LA MAKO.

Gazoinks

I actually think it'd be an interesting inversion. You don't usually expect the innocent, lovable comedy relief to get killed. Especially when she's constantly getting beat on anyway.

If anyone dies, it'd be Ryuko, to make way for MAKO LA MAKO.

I would be okay with this.

In any case, I'd finally identify with all the people who loved Kamina and got really upset. Not to mention it'd definitely probably come with a noticeable tonal shift afterwards, since these early episodes are full with her and her family.

E:
Actually thinking more about it, it'd be a part of a bigger picture change in the show's pace and tone. A lot like Gurren... huh.

In any case, I'd finally identify with all the people who loved Kamina and got really upset. Not to mention it'd definitely probably come with a noticeable tonal shift afterwards, since these early episodes are full with her and her family.

E:
Actually thinking more about it, it'd be a part of a bigger picture change in the show's pace and tone. A lot like Gurren... huh.

Does Mako define Ryuko, at least at the extent Kamina defined Simon? I would be utterly crushed if something like that happens to Mako.

I don't think it'll be a case of Mako taking over the show with Ryuko dying. TTGL in retrospect clearly was setting up Simon as the protagonist with all his character struggle and stuff.

aghh i just don't want anyone to die ;_;

Gazoinks

Does Mako define Ryuko, at least at the extent Kamina defined Simon? I would be utterly crushed if something like that happens to Mako.

Not in the same way, but she kinda does. She's Ryuko's only friend after all (not counting Senketsu), and it seems like Ryuko's generally a lot friendlier and open when she's around Mako.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

E:

IDK it would be sort of wack to kill her off. A better (more traumatic) option would be for her and her family to switch sides to get all that nice stuff they never had before by living on the 1-3 star side of town. Its clear money is an issue from episode one so it wouldn't be a surprise. that would leave ryuko with basically no one she could trust

I hope they don't die, im loving Ryuko and Mako as characters, and maybe killing one of the two will be two similar to the impact they created in Gurren Lagann and they want to do the same impact in another way without killing anyone so it doesnt feel a total copy.

Wasn't TTGL's "That Episode" episode 8?

Oh, thought was episode 7.
EDIT
Oh it was 8, damn, you are right. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Kinyou

battlesuit

tumblr_lx7qo4zb7f1qdstyiuo.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If someone dares complain about Gurren Lagann spoilers I'm going to tear them a new one.

It's a 6 years old series for fucks sake.

Necrovex

I hope they don't die, im loving Ryuko and Mako as characters, and maybe killing one of the two will be two similar to the impact they created in Gurren Lagann and they want to do the same impact in another way without killing anyone so it doesnt feel a total copy.

Oh, thought was episode 7.
EDIT
Oh it was 8, damn, you are right. Move along people, nothing to see here.

I really hope we get an episode like *that* super soon. *That* episode was my favorite in Gurren Lagann. THOSE FEELS!

Zeroth

If someone dares complain about Gurren Lagann spoilers I'm going to tear them a new one.

I'm puzzled about that because it's not like what happened is something that few people know or that isn't talked about.

Also, here are a few problems with how these theories are flying:

Satsuki didn't know about Ryuko before she showed up, the idea of Mako being a spy depends on she either having been playing that role before knowing Ryuko (so she can change of sides) or accepting it after she met Ryuko (and it goes against her character to simply do that, since they bonded when they first met, at least under her perception). So, she could be a spy from someone else, but if it's not Satsuki, who would it be?

Let me tell you 2 peices of useful information

1) this episode was awesome

2) Tsumugu was awesome, that open was a great intor to the character

nudest beach is a great name

rexor0717

Why are we spoiler tagging speculation about KLK? I see no reason for Mako to die. Ryuko has nothing to learn from that. I do think that we don't know everything about Mako's intentions. While she will probably be eternally goofy, she showed this episode a more somber side when she "attacked" Kinagase. I think we'll see shit get real with her soon. Maybe Mako is with Ryuko as that one last school's hope to gain a powerful ally.

cntr

Banned
Maybe his stuff are made of anti-Life Fiber alloys that block the full power of Ryuko's attacks?

Of course, the real reason is that they can't show people getting instantly defeated like that without it being boring.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hey, so I made some panorama's of some moments in KLK, no idea if anyone else has been doing this, but they have a nice chunk of camera-panning moments so the art is never fully seen.

kingkitty

I actually got around to watching Gurren Lagann about a year ago so yeah. I don't see how because it's x amount of years old, somehow makes spoilers totes okay. Although as long as people keep the Gurren under a spoiler tag, it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

7Th

That he could block Ryuko's strike was a bit weird to be honest. In episode 3 half the school exploded after each strike

It's probably linked to the mental state of the user like the robots in Gurren-Lagann; she was passionate and really into it while fighting Satsuki.

Top Bottom