• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Yonafunu

Hey, so I made some panorama's of some moments in KLK, no idea if anyone else has been doing this, but they have a nice chunk of camera-panning moments so the art is never fully seen.

Awesome, great job! It really makes you appreciate the art even more.

edit:

Plywood said:
ibpPSlm4Ghc8sS.png

dat tennis girl has a lot of balls gnignigni

Giolon

Hey, so I made some panorama's of some moments in KLK, no idea if anyone else has been doing this, but they have a nice chunk of camera-panning moments so the art is never fully seen.

RandomC's writers do this fairly often.

See from Episode 3-4:

Yours are nice and free of artifacts though! I'd love to see you re-do these in higher quality.

NEO0MJ

I actually got around to watching Gurren Lagann about a year ago so yeah. I don't see how because it's x amount of years old, somehow makes spoilers totes okay. Although as long as people keep the Gurren under a spoiler tag, it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

If this was a TTGL thread it would have been totally OK to talk about spoilers after all this time, but it's not so I think as a courtesy to others you should tag those spoilers.

It's probably linked to the mental state of the user like the robots in Gurren-Lagann; she was passionate and really into it while fighting Satsuki.

She was fighting with all her heart to keep her uniform this episode, so probably not. Just the usual "new character gets badass intro" trope.

Another awesome episode, muuuuuch better than last weeks.

The nudist guys are badass. Mako is awesome and the running gag with her weird monologue is hilarious. Damn this was great.

so1337

Episode 5

I'm glad that my concerns about this show becoming too formulaic have not materialized so far. Episode 4's cartoon anarchy has been followed up with an extremely solid character introduction in Episode 5. While I'm usually not the biggest fan of the show's musical direction, Episode 5 proved to be an exception. The subtle use of electronic basslines and moody percussion made Tsumugu (Fake-Kitan) seem quite threatening. Surpisingly, there's a couple of genuinely heartfelt moments between Ryuko and Senketsu, too.

7Th

She was fighting with all her heart to keep her uniform this episode, so probably not. Just the usual "new character gets badass intro" trope.

She got into a fight with him, definitely wasn't fighting full power; she didn't fully realize how important Senketsu was beyond being her weapon until the end. Tsumugu is still going to get nerfed the next time he appears, tho;
it was implied Satsuki and his minions figured out a way to counter Nudist Beach's weapons, after all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Why are we spoiler tagging speculation about KLK?
We're psychic. It's not just speculation but PROPHECY.

If someone dares complain about Gurren Lagann spoilers I'm going to tear them a new one.

It's a 6 years old series for fucks sake.
Not to mention it's something really early in the show. It's like complaining about knowing Gai dies three episodes into Nadesico.

G-Bus

Banned
Just finished the first episode and this show is crazy. I've never really seen much of gurren lagann if that means anything in regards to this show

Out fits are kind of interesting too haha.

I'm definitely entertained.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just finished the first episode and this show is crazy. I've never really seen much of gurren lagann if that means anything in regards to this show

Out fits are kind of interesting too haha.

I'm definitely entertained.

It only goes up from here.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Why are we spoiler tagging speculation about KLK? I see no reason for Mako to die. Ryuko has nothing to learn from that. I do think that we don't know everything about Mako's intentions. While she will probably be eternally goofy, she showed this episode a more somber side when she "attacked" Kinagase. I think we'll see shit get real with her soon. Maybe Mako is with Ryuko as that one last school's hope to gain a powerful ally.

Because we all Mako is going to slick her hair back and announce herself as the true villain.

She's the Aizen of KLK.

Sinople

If someone dares complain about Gurren Lagann spoilers I'm going to tear them a new one.

It's a 6 years old series for fucks sake.

So, you've never been tempted to watch an old series or play an old game you missed at the time it went out? You don't think there could be people that could be interested in watching GL thanks to Kill La Kill?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So, you've never been tempted to watch an old series or play an old game you missed at the time it went out? You don't think there could be people that could be interested in watching GL thanks to Kill La Kill?

Sure, but you can apply this to every single piece of media released in the last decade. Talking in spoiler tags is the most retarded shit ever, second only to complaining about spoilers for old stuff.

What's the cut off for being able to talk about a show/book/movie openly? 5 years? 10? 20? It shouldn't even be more than a single year. I'm not going to go out of my way to spoil GL for someone who's watching it, but I have to know that they want me to avoid spoilers. Tacitly assuming that "there might be someone who's watching such and such tangentially related work so you should spoiler tag" is impractical. GAF has a shit ton of lurkers and many of them are waiting for account approval before they can join in on the discussion. Should I consider their situation as well? Because that would potentially affect every thread I ever post in regarding every work of fiction in existence.

Hyun Sai

I don't mind spoiler tags, because it's a minor inconvenience for me to accomodate those who didn't see the previous anime. I'm not that selfish, and it's a Kill la Kill OT, not a Guren Lagan one, not even a sequel of the latter.

Sinople

Sure, but you can apply this to every single media released in the last decade.

What's the cut off for being able to talk about a show/book openly? 5 years? 10? 20? It shouldn't even be more than a single year.

I disagree with your opinion there should be some sort of shelf life that applies to enjoying books/shows/etc.
I recently read Les Miserables and was glad no one ever spoiled it to me, even if it's a 150 years old book. I would have skipped it otherwise.

As long as you know there's a chance people may be spoiled, why not use spoiler tags? It's not much of a hassle now that there's a dedicated button.

I disagree with your opinion there should be some sort of shelf life that applies to enjoying books/shows/etc.
I recently read Les Miserables and was glad no one ever spoiled it to me, even if it's a 150 years old book. I would have skipped it otherwise.

As long as you know there's a chance people may be spoiled, why not use spoiler tags? It's not much of a hassle now that there's a dedicated button.

sinople is an anagram for spoilen

Andrew J.

Sure, but you can apply this to every single piece of media released in the last decade. Talking in spoiler tags is the most retarded shit ever, second only to complaining about spoilers for old stuff.

What's the cut off for being able to talk about a show/book/movie openly? 5 years? 10? 20? It shouldn't even be more than a single year. I'm not going to go out of my way to spoil GL for someone who's watching it, but I have to know that they want me to avoid spoilers. Tacitly assuming that "there might be someone who's watching such and such tangentially related work so you should spoiler tag" is impractical. GAF has a shit ton of lurkers and many of them are waiting for account approval before they can join in on the discussion. Should I consider their situation as well? Because that would potentially affect every thread I ever post in regarding every work of fiction in existence.

The rule I've seen around is that if there's a situation where it's really likely that many people new to the experience will be reading (like, say, a Zelda thread around the time Ocarina of Time 3D came out) then you should tag spoilers, no matter how old.

Now, that raises the question of whether there will be a lot of people in this thread who will be inspired to go watch Gurren Lagann for the first time. Should we get an informal headcount or something?

Not to keep this discussion going further off tangent, but if you haven't seen a series as old or as relevant to this show as Gurren Lagann, the onus is on you to have watched it and be wary of spoilers than the person who wants to talk about it.

If GL has to be spoiler tagged at this point, then every other anime series referenced in this thread might as well be, too.

Haly

Because of the principle of the thing. I engaged in spoiler tag spam back before we got this button and I now morally object to spoilering old things. If you want the unsullied Day 1 experience then you it behooves you to partake in said experience as soon as possible, rather than expecting the rest of the world to put themselves on hold while you play catch up. A week, I can understand, there are obligations in ones life. Maybe a month, a year. Maybe even in extenuating circumstances. 6? No, that's just a bad joke.

And if you cannot enjoy a story simply because one twist was spoiled it was probably not a very good story in the first place.

And if you cannot enjoy a story simply because one twist was spoiled it was probably not a very good story in the first place.

woah that's a little extreme. sometimes the mark of a work is derivative of a single plot point or even a single written word.

Haly

woah that's a little extreme. sometimes the mark of a work is derivative of a single plot point or even a single written word.

If such a work can be reread/rewatched then it can be spoiled. The works of art that absolutely cannot be appreciated a second time are few, in my experience, and most of them are not very good.

Having said that, I am done with this conversation and apologize for the digression and to anyone I might've spoiled GL.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Knowing what happens doesn't destroy the entire experience in this case but imo it may be good form to tag the more sensitive Gurren Lagann information in this particular KlK thread since both works are very related. Like others said, someone watching KlK may want to GL next. It's not about spoilers expiring or having to tag everything that ever aired. It's a specific case. Since the thread doesn't have explicit rules on it that's up to each poster obviously.

Some will tag speculation, others will tag the first few posts as soon as the episode has aired, none of it takes much work and someone might be grateful for your consideration. I personally don't understand when people are so against using the tag though, no one is asking for each post of be a wall of black, usually it's just a couple of words and there's a button shortcut when you're making the post.

Not to keep this discussion going further off tangent, but if you haven't seen a series as old or as relevant to this show as Gurren Lagann, the onus is on you to have watched it and be wary of spoilers than the person who wants to talk about it.

If GL has to be spoiler tagged at this point, then every other anime series referenced in this thread might as well be, too.
I do think it's tactful to spoiler tag twists of other works in unrelated threads. For example, VanillaCakeIsBurning spoiler tagged a big twist from Space Runaway Ideon when it was referenced in episode two, and that one show is 33 years old. Obviously these things will vary according to how much something is ingrained in popular culture and like I said, it's really up to each poster.

Yonafunu

The rule I've seen around is that if there's a situation where it's really likely that many people new to the experience will be reading (like, say, a Zelda thread around the time Ocarina of Time 3D came out) then you should tag spoilers, no matter how old.

Now, that raises the question of whether there will be a lot of people in this thread who will be inspired to go watch Gurren Lagann for the first time. Should we get an informal headcount or something?

It already has. It also seems to attract people who normally don't watch a lot of anime.

I've never seen Gurren Lagann. I'm hoping the English dub ends up on Toonami.

I hope you haven't read any of the spoilers a page back.

Because everyone in this thread is an anime expert, and knows exactly who Imaishi and Nakashima are. If you don't it's your own fault!

Knowing what happens doesn't destroy the entire experience in this case but imo it may be good form to tag the more sensitive Gurren Lagann information in this particular KlK thread since both works are very related. Like others said, someone watching KlK may want to GL next. It's not about spoilers expiring or having to tag everything that ever aired. It's a specific case. Since the thread doesn't have explicit rules on it that's up to each poster obviously.

I think this is important, because it works both ways. While a lot of people have seen GL and are following KlK because of it's connection with it, there are also people who will watch GL because of KlK.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I don't agree with this line of thinking. You can't expect everyone to have seen every piece of media out there.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't agree with this line of thinking. You can't expect everyone to have seen every piece of media out there.
But that means everyone holed up in isolation, unable to actually converse and share ideas about works that have impacted our society.

We're talking about Gurren Lagann here, not Star Wars where its spoiler has invaded pop culture. Yes, people have had plenty of time to watch it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be mindful of the stragglers. Gurren Lagann is a fantastic series and my favorite anime of all time, so I definitely wouldn't want to be spoiling people on a massive plot point that shapes some of the character personalities and how the story unfolds.

Con_Smith

Banned
If anyone is as ocd as I am in regards to refrences when it comes to this show I found a website that has some pretty good (and pretty reachy) lists of them in KLK.

Ok, this thread tends to get tangential enough between episodes, but I gotta say, Inferno Cop is the best thing ever. Just watched the whole thing and it's amazing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
We're talking about Gurren Lagann here, not Star Wars where its spoiler has invaded pop culture. Yes, people have had plenty of time to watch it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be mindful of the stragglers. Gurren Lagann is a fantastic series and my favorite anime of all time, so I definitely wouldn't want to be spoiling people on a massive plot point that shapes some of the character personalities and how the story unfolds.
Spoiler tags are nice until the time comes you want to discuss multiple shows in relation to each other to both highlight what they share and enhance enjoyment of them, but normal spoiler rules say you can't. In fact, you can't even promote your show at all, because on the surface it's unremarkable and what makes it fun is "spoilerish". So you sit and hope to hook people on blind faith, but it doesn't work out.

There comes a point when you realize something has to give. Not everything should be catered to the isolationist viewer into perpetuity. At some point people need to step outside and be exposed to the world around them.

That's not to say I'm for abandoning the concept entirely, but I do see the other side of the argument now.

Spoiler tags are nice until the time comes you want to discuss multiple shows in relation to each other to both highlight what they share and enhance enjoyment of them, but normal spoiler rules say you can't. In fact, you can't even promote your show at all, because on the surface it's unremarkable and what makes it fun is "spoilerish". So you sit and hope to hook people on blind faith, but it doesn't work out.

If this is in reference to spoiler rules in general, I don't really have anything to contest that since I haven't really given the subject much thought. If it's about Gurren Lagann, you sure as hell can promote and show why it's awesome without that one spoiler people are talking about.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If this is in reference to spoiler rules in general, I don't really have anything to contest that since I haven't really given the subject much thought. If it's about Gurren Lagann, you sure as hell can promote and show why it's awesome without that one spoiler people are talking about.
But what you can't do is discuss how KLK and Lagann might be similar or different.

Well GAF, congratulations.

I usually hate anime, I don't know why but there's never been one I liked, one where I wanted to see more than one episode. If it's manga-based, I read the manga instead. I don't know it's just not my thing. When I was a kid, I watched DBZ, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho on TV but now when friends tell me "You should watch this anime", I watch one episode and even if it's good, I give up and I just don't feel like watching more episode. Even with Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, I ended up reading it (Sogood.gif). Even with Shingeki with Kyojin, I found it really good but only watched 2 episodes. I don't have the need to watch more.

But with this, Kill la Kill, you won GAF. I watched the first one and immediately loved it, I already watched 3 episodes. It may seem normal for you but for me, that's unbelievable.
I regret that there's too much unnecessary nudity, but everything else is reallly great.

Well GAF, congratulations.

I usually hate anime, I don't know why but there's never been one I liked, one where I wanted to see more than one episode. If it's manga-based, I read the manga instead. I don't know it's just not my thing. When I was a kid, I watched DBZ, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho on TV but now when friends tell me "You should watch this anime", I watch one episode and even if it's good, I give up and I just don't feel like watching more episode. Even with Jojo's Bizarre Adventures, I ended up reading it (Sogood.gif). Even with Shingeki with Kyojin, I found it really good but only watched 2 episodes. I don't have the need to watch more.

But with this, Kill la Kill, you won GAF. I watched the first one and immediately loved it, I already watched 3 episodes. It may seem normal for you but for me, that's unbelievable.
I regret that there's too much unnecessary nudity, but everything else is reallly great.
The thing is, most anime have terrible, terrible pacing. Kill la kill fixes that for the most part: it's always action and/or/wackyness back to back.That's really hard to do when you have to animate 20 minutes worth of episode, especially if you have to follow a manga.

I wish the 20 minute format went away for cartoons in general.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The thing is, most anime have terrible, terrible pacing. Kill la kill fixes that for the most part: it's always action and/or/wackyness back to back.That's really hard to do when you have to animate 20 minutes worth of episode, especially if you have to follow a manga.

I wish the 20 minute format went away for cartoons in general.
Why do you look at this situation and think episode length is the problem instead of to the letter simultaneous manga adaptations?

A ton of anime have little issues with time. It's slog shows like Naruto and One Piece that are the main culprits. Just look at the first TV runs of Hajime no Ippo and Hunter X Hunter, both of which were able to be adapted without having to wait on anything.

Why do you look at this situation and think episode length is the problem instead of to the letter simultaneous manga adaptations?

A ton of anime have little issues with time. It's slog shows like Naruto and One Piece that are the main culprits. Just look at the first TV runs of Hajime no Ippo and Hunter X Hunter, both of which were able to be adapted without having to wait on anything.

I've never watched the adaptation of hajime no hippo, and I love HxH but it also suffers from pacing, from my point of view. I'm non just talking about stuff like long staredowns or overly dramatic gasps, one problem a lot of series have are overly long explanations. Whether it's done by fighters who absolutely have to explain what they just did or observers who have the inescapable duty to comment, if it takes more that 10-20 seconds from the main event, it's a problem.
It's not like I get mad or anything, but when that happens I'm like "oh boy, here we go", then proceed to surf the internet until they are done talking. This never happens with stuff like Adventure time, teen titans go! (yes I like it, come at me) or most gainax stuff.

Eh, maybe I'm just ADHD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The poster in the OP has a very retro style, like anime from 20-25 years ago. Does that carry rough to the show, or is it just for the promo artwork? Looks great

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've never watched the adaptation of hajime no hippo, and I love HxH but it also suffers from pacing, from my point of view. I'm non just talking about stuff like long staredowns or overly dramatic gasps, one problem a lot of series have are overly long explanations. Whether it's done by fighters who absolutely have to explain what they just did or observers who have the inescapable duty to comment, if it takes more that 10-20 seconds from the main event, it's a problem.
It's not like I get mad or anything, but when that happens I'm like "oh boy, here we go", then proceed to surf the internet until they are done talking. This never happens with stuff like Adventure time, teen titans go! (yes I like it, come at me) or most gainax stuff.

Eh, maybe I'm just ADHD.
To be fair, you do bring up a real point. Even when a show is at liberty to adapt a manga as it pleases, how it handles the fundamental shift in how the two mediums present time remains an open question. Part of what made manga into a full fledged medium was the realization that it wasn't bound to chronological timekeeping and could, among many other things, throw in reaction text panels like that as a free action. Anime is a subset of film, and so time is rigidly chronological with only a little leeway and so doing the same thing stands out quite a bit.

Still, I wouldn't say it's inescapable. For example, the old Jojo OVAs did an efficient job at dispensing with manga forms.

To be fair, you do bring up a real point. Even when a show is at liberty to adapt a manga as it pleases, how it handles the fundamental shift in how the two mediums present time remains an open question. Part of what made manga into a full fledged medium was the realization that it wasn't bound to chronological timekeeping and could, among many other things, throw in reaction text panels like that as a free action. Anime is a subset of film, and so time is rigidly chronological with only a little leeway and so doing the same thing stands out quite a bit.

Still, I wouldn't say it's inescapable. For example, the old Jojo OVAs did an efficient job at dispensing with manga forms.

I still need to watch the OVAs. I need to fix that.

The poster in the OP has a very retro style, like anime from 20-25 years ago. Does that carry rough to the show, or is it just for the promo artwork? Looks great

For much of the scenes, yes, and the whole style is very simlar, if not the same.

If anyone is as ocd as I am in regards to refrences when it comes to this show I found a website that has some pretty good (and pretty reachy) lists of them in KLK.

This is amazing. Wow at the ending reference, is exactly the same, big tribute there. Anyone knows whats that drama series about?

wsippel

Banned
This is amazing. Wow at the ending reference, is exactly the same, big tribute there. Anyone knows whats that drama series about?
It's about a delinquent schoolgirl who becomes some sort of undercover cop and infiltrates schools to uncover and end criminal activities. Ryuko's outfit resembles that character's school uniform as well, at least the one from the 2006 movie (black dress, red scarf, one fingerless glove).

cntr

Banned
Note that Ryuko's uniform is a reference to the Sukeban delinquent schoolgirl subculture in general, too; it's not just from Sukeban Deka.

Top Bottom