• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Need to get around to watching this. So the general opinion around he is that it was awesome?

Yup, KLK is stupid fun. The only problems people seem to have are with the music being forgettable (I personally like it) and the battlesuit pandering to your stereotypical otaku virgin.

God, I love EVERYTHING about that show except for that fucking outfit.......Just when I thought I had something else to add to my list of series to show non-anime fans...

God, I love EVERYTHING about that show except for that fucking outfit.......Just when I thought I had something else to add to my list of series to show non-anime fans...

Did you think you could show Gurren Lagann to non-anime fans? There's quite a bit of bounce in that too, even if Yoko's outfit isn't as revealing.

MilkBeard

This show is a bit ridiculous, going by the first episode. I did enjoy watching it, but I feel like you have to have an extreme case of ADHD to really enjoy it fully. This might be why I watched one episode of Gurren Lagann and put it down.

I will be watching the next episode to see if I get used to the style. It does have potential. I love the fighting/battle suits thing, even if the exposure of underage girls is a bit creepy. It's so zany that it just makes me giggle.

Jacob

This show is a bit ridiculous, going by the first episode. I did enjoy watching it, but I feel like you have to have an extreme case of ADHD to really enjoy it fully. This might be why I watched one episode of Gurren Lagann and put it down.

I will be watching the next episode to see if I get used to the style. It does have potential. I love the fighting/battle suits thing, even if the exposure of underage girls is a bit creepy. It's so zany that it just makes me giggle.

Gurren Lagann starts off pretty rough but it improves nearly continuously and its finale is incredible. That's my opinion anyway, I know there are a number of people who feel that the show declined after a certain point, but I suspect they enjoyed the show for different reasons than I did.

Gazoinks

Gurren Lagann starts off pretty rough but it improves nearly continuously and its finale is incredible. That's my opinion anyway, I know there are a number of people who feel that the show declined after a certain point, but I suspect they enjoyed the show for different reasons than I did.

Aside from a couple small dips, I pretty much agree with this. The last 8 episodes or so are amazing. The start-up of TTGL also has the disadvantage of EPISODE FOUR.

cjkeats

I couldn't get into GL at all. People seem to think I'm crazy.

Anyways, this is fun
s6rffGo.jpg

jstripes

Banned
Wow. I just watched it. Everything about it was amazing. (Aside from the battle outfit, which was ridiculous. But we know who we're dealing with...)

If Studio Trigger is made of former Gainax staff, that explains why Gainax is kinda shitty now.

Mesoian

um. it's not only about slut/pussy jokes, not at all. there is a lot more than that, and really well done too.

While that's true, it takes too long to get there. The show is frontloaded with nothing but really juvenile sex jokes, separated only by the appearance of Scanty and Kneesocks.

It doesn't balance it out well enough to keep things interesting, thus it's hard to stick with it. And again, it's not that the first 13 episodes are all predominantly about sex jokes, it's that they're about REALLY BAD sex jokes. They aren't funny, they, at best, visually interesting. And there are better shows to watch if you're looking for sexual comedy.

What if she get more clothed when she defeats more people.

I hope that's where they're going. More goku's defeated, more devoured power, less skinship for the sake of skinship.

I just showed the first episode to some non-anime fans, I was actually worried when the outfit scene happened, and they didn't even say a word. When the episode ended they said they loved it, I was extremely surprised to say the least.

Ok I'm a little late to this bit I just watched the first episode and holy fuck I loved it.

THANK YOU BASED TRIGGER

Oh and I love how her uniform is basically the symbiote Venom suit.

Zaptruder

Banned
I just showed the first episode to some non-anime fans, I was actually worried when the outfit scene happened, and they didn't even say a word. When the episode ended they said they loved it, I was extremely surprised to say the least.

Unnecessary worry. You only have to have a look at twerking to see how trashy popular culture has gotten.

MilkBeard

I'll have to give Gurren Lagann another try one of these days. Maybe I'll seek out the manga (it has a manga, right? pretty sure) instead.

wsippel

Banned
I expect nothing less, unless the main villain turns to the good guys.
I actually somehow think she will. She doesn't strike me as truly evil, just arrogant and probably misguided due to her upbringing (her mother runs the whole show after all). Though granted, her screen time was extremely limited so far.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I actually somehow think she will. She doesn't strike me as truly evil, just arrogant and probably misguided due to her upbringing (her mother runs the whole show after all). Though granted, her screen time was extremely limited so far.

Indeed, I think Satsuki's mother is the bigger bad here.

Pacing was extremely fast but it's better than a lot of the really slow shows, hopefully it slows down after a few episodes when more stuff is explained. Felt like I watched 3 episodes instead of 1.

GuessWho

The only anime I enjoy is titan. I gave this a shot since it was mentioned in the AOT thread. I really enjoyed it, until the outfit reveal. Ugh so much unnecessary cringe...Still I'll give it a shot since the animation seems stellar.

Flai

I didn't really mind the outfit that much. Usually that kind of things pisses me off a lot, but I don't know.. The outfit kinda fit in to the bizarre stuff that was going on. Though I wish that the outfit won't stay like that until the end of the show.

Anyways, I've already watched the first episode like 10 times. I just can't stop watching it, it's so awesome :) I was super hyped about AOT but this first episode was imo 10x better than any AOT episode :p

Necrovex

The show grabbed my attention from the very beginning. I was attached to my TV when I marathoned that show.

Aside from a couple small dips, I pretty much agree with this. The last 8 episodes or so are amazing. The start-up of TTGL also has the disadvantage of EPISODE FOUR.

I still shudder when I think of episode four.

I couldn't get into GL at all. People seem to think I'm crazy.

As I would say in Persona-Gaf, you are crazy.

I'll have to give Gurren Lagann another try one of these days. Maybe I'll seek out the manga (it has a manga, right? pretty sure) instead.

I am fairly certain GL has no manga. That's fine though, since it is supposed to be watch in animated form. Gurren Lagann should be watched in its original form, anime; it wouldn't have the same feeling if you read it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gurren Lagann has a few mangas, one being pretty much an adaptation of the anime (seriously, if ya saw the anime, you've pretty much read the manga) and then a spin-off where it takes place in an alt. universe where everyone goes to school. I think there's a third one that's pretty much a comedy 4-koma or something.

Jacob

The manga is an adaptation of the anime and, like most manga adapted from anime, doesn't have a particularly good reputation. But I've never read it myself so I can't really recommend it or not.

I haven't watched anime in a couple years. GL was good but Gunbuster and Gunbuster 2 are my all time favorites. This seems to have that same energy and I can't wait to watch it.

Broank

I really enjoyed the first episode. Seems like it maybe has some homage to Gainax's Blazing Transfer Student? I was kinda skeptical after not really liking Panty & Stocking and the meh second half of Gurren Lagann.

xanavi

This show is so dumb and awesome; two qualities that matter most to me. Like everyone else I'm not feeling the power-up outfit on Ryuko, which is kind of a bummer because her character and design is so strong otherwise. I love the outlandishness of fighting high school uniforms that grant superpowers with half a pair of giant scissors. It seems to balance on that fine line of making no sense and making total sense; it's almost Heisenberg-esque. I hope the frenetic pace keeps up. I need this.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I liked Kill la Kill quite a lot. It felt a bit too much like they were copying Go Nagai/Cutey Honey at times, but nothing really felt too blatant.

Fuck the hate train, the costume is amazing, also show was great

The costume is nothing but fan service, but that's fine with me as long as the show stays awesome!

Blades64

Banned
I don't think I can get into this. I was enjoying every bit of it up until that outfit. Totally killed it for me...

Superflat

Trigger became one of my favorite studios ever since Little Witch Academia, which is also what I would describe as a perfect pilot episode.

For a first episode, Kill la Kill was fucking ace as well.

No filler, amazing character intros (reminded me of Tarantino a bit), and it's actually dense with information about the world without being boring. It establishes characters quickly and everything gets to the point. I have to expect that the pace is only going to slow down a bit from here, but who knows. I felt pretty exhausted after watching this first episode, though in a good way.

The animation style, goddamn. They make fast motion look easy. I'm a huge fan of Sushio because of his simplistic but extremely expressive and unique characters, so glad he worked on this.

Very apparent that much of the talent behind Gurren Lagann worked on this. Kill la Kill's intro is many orders of magnitude more intense than GL's first episode, so I can't imagine how they ratchet it up from here.

Gazoinks

Very apparent that much of the talent behind Gurren Lagann worked on this. Kill la Kill's intro is many orders of magnitude more intense than GL's first episode, so I can't imagine how they ratchet it up from here.

Maybe it'll get calmer and calmer and by the end it's Mushishi. :D

Ezalc

First episode was amazing. Hopefully the soundtrack gets better with time and gives us amazing tracks akin to TTGL's. Anime of the season right here.

When I think "show-ruining fan service" I think of Highschool of the Dead with its boob jiggles and panty shots galore. A living suit that reveals underboob does not strike me as the same thing, or even similar, really. Think a lot of people are being overly-dramatic.

Top Bottom