• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

When I think "show-ruining fan service" I think of Highschool of the Dead with its boob jiggles and panty shots galore. A living suit that reveals underboob does not strike me as the same thing, or even similar, really. Think a lot of people are being overly-dramatic.

At the very least it is self aware, and does it with comedic intent. Nothing is worse than fan service that also wants to be taken seriously.

daniels

When I think "show-ruining fan service" I think of Highschool of the Dead with its boob jiggles and panty shots galore. A living suit that reveals underboob does not strike me as the same thing, or even similar, really. Think a lot of people are being overly-dramatic.

Yeah and then you realize where the living suits tongue is located :p

Positively surprised of the first episode. Such nice animation and amazing style. However the self awareness of fan service is cringe-worthy and distracting. I hope it does not get any worse than the first episode. The outfit is still stupid but I enjoyed everything else so will be following this show.
This was probably one of the best first episodes I have seen in anime in a loooooong time. Looking forward to the next episode, hopefully they can keep the crazyness all the way.

Starviper

Just finished episode one. That fucking ruled.

So okay I'm really, really sensitive to fanservice for fanservice's sake for the most part but I am totally down with the Senkotsu design now that I've seen it in the context of the show. Soooo much of the show is taking the piss out of exploitation tropes and it's very clearly very intentional.

During the fight with Fukuroda once she's revealed, Ryuko is embarrassed by the Senkotsu. Instead of focusing on the fight Fukuroda starts creeping on Ryuko because of Senkotsu, which makes her upset. When he tries to attack her, it doesn't matter that like 10% of her body is covered, she's completely protected. On the other hand the Goku uniforms are like full body suits from neck to ankle. It's a total send up of the absurdity of the awful armor women wear in dozens of other exploitation films/anime.

There's a hell of a lot more thought to this than wank material for virgin otaku. Sexiness isn't an inherently bad thing; and I think using it in a subversive way like this is pretty god damn brilliant.

I don't know how I'm going to manage to wait weekly for more episodes of this show.

I felt the exact same way. They did a really great job of making it not out to be just about a sexy costume. When I had seen the previews earlier on here I saw the costume design and thought this would be a bit too ridiculous for me. I'm really glad it didn't go in a different direction and instead was a hilarious take on that trope.

It had a really cool style, and the outfit was very "ohhh you, Japan" but I was not completely blown away or laughed a lot. It seems like it was almost too fast paced for it's own good. But maybe I was just not in the right mood. Normally I think it's a good virtue to tell stories much faster, so I don't feel like I have legitimate say in this.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That outfit is really killing it for me personally, and that "oh Japan" s@#$ isn't flying.

You know you have become numb to the fanservice when that outfit warrants hardly a glance or rather when shows like Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! and Yuusha ni Narenakatta exist.

You know you have become numb to the fanservice when that outfit warrants hardly a glance or rather when shows like Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! and Yuusha ni Narenakatta exist.

I had to google these...wow but I'm still of the opinion we shouldn't be ok with it. This is a subject for another thread/conversation but even within context it ruins everything the show does right up until that point, Jesus.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I had to google these...wow but I'm still of the opinion we shouldn't be ok with it. This is a subject for another thread/conversation but even within context it ruins everything the show does right up until that point, Jesus.
no it doesn't, if it "ruins" everything the show does then you probably don't really want to watch the show at all considering it meshes perfectly with the show's tone and energy

Dresden

I think Lambtron's post does a good job of summing up why I wasn't bothered with the outfit within the show itself. I don't think it's a good design, but I didn't find it repulsive in the same way I did when the pics first started coming out.

Comparing it to the usual fanservice junk and saying 'it's not so bad' rather misses the point.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Or Queen's Blade. Or Seikon no Qwaser. Or Ladies Vs. Butlers.

& looking back, I think Lambtron makes a good point. By itself, I understand where people come from, but in context, it seems they're aware of how silly it is (like Vulcano mentioned), especially considering how it seems rather defensive in battle for something that SHOULDN'T protect someone in the least. I'm sure opinions will change/form once more episodes air, though. Personally, I think I'm gonna wait until we're much farther in the series before giving a definite opinion on it, though I think the theory of
more villains defeated = more "fabric" is added
holds some merit & I'm fine either way if it's true or not.

I think Lambtron's post does a good job of summing up why I wasn't bothered with the outfit within the show itself. I don't think it's a good design, but I didn't find it repulsive in the same way I did when the pics first started coming out. Comparing it to the usual fanservice junk and saying 'it's not so bad' rather misses the point.

Ok I read that and those points are interesting but yeah there is worse out there.

solomon

Ok I've been looking everywhere is this animated traditionally or using a computer, because if this is done on a comp.. wow that's legit.

Also i'm not going to lie her black uniform was ehhh sort of killed my hype , would of liked if they stuck to what she was wearing before transforming. Nonetheless looking forward to watching the rest of this anime.

Krammy

Had the opportunity to watch the first episode and while it definitely has the Gurren Lagann / Panty & Stocking flare, it didn't really grab my attention. The characters all seemed interesting, but the setting so far isn't doing it for me.

As many people have mentioned, the costume was way to fan-service for me, however, I brought this up to the person who showed it to me (assuming he has more knowledge than I do), and he said the suit can change in design? I don't know how true this is, but I'm hoping for a design that's based more around "Awesome" and less around "Look at all this skin".

EDIT: I'd like to add that sexy costumes aren't necessarily bad, but it feels like it's really trying too hard, that's where my problem lies.

Kinyou

Well that was.... something

Half an hour full of colors, nudity, action and nudity

I'm on board.

That everyone is aware of how ridicolous the outfit is makes it actually kind of funny

rpmurphy

Interest piqued on first episode. The premise has promise, the character seem interesting, and the animation is pure eye candy.

HcufLId.jpg

First episode was fun until that outfit which killed it for me. Came into the show expecting balls to the walls action which it gave but then soured it with blatant unneccessary fanservice (its fucking string bikini for crying out loud). I don't know whether this show is supposed to be comedic, serious, action, or flatout stupid. Will stay for 1-2 more episodes and hopefully will see what the show is trying to convey here.

rpmurphy

First episode was fun until that outfit which killed it for me. Came into the show expecting balls to the walls action which it gave but then soured it with blatant unneccessary fanservice (its fucking string bikini for crying out loud). I don't know whether this show is supposed to be comedic, serious, action, or flatout stupid. Will stay for 1-2 more episodes and hopefully will see what the show is trying to convey here.
It seemed like all of the above to me.

Christ, so many prudes.

The outfit was no less ridiculous than the rest of the show, why would the show make an exception just for that?
It seems to me that it's done for comedic purposes, less fanservice. One of the premises of the show is that the students' outfits provide special powers. But between the boxer guy and the fight with the outfit (if not the tone of the entire episode itself), I think the intention is pretty clear that it's nonsensical and meant to parody the genre. Maybe it's still a bit early to tell for sure, but at least that's what I got out of it so far.

TheRancor

Ok I've been looking everywhere is this animated traditionally or using a computer, because if this is done on a comp.. wow that's legit
Technically all the elements including the traditionally animated 2D drawings have to eventually go through the computer anyways. For composting, coloring etc etc

But it's mostly animated traditionally

However some of the objects,like typically the animated backgrounds are done using CG here or at least had some help digitally.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Overhyped. 2fast4me. Not bad overall.

Disappointed by the lack of proper character introductions. Even TTGL had some of that. Felt like watching a 30 minute trailer of random stuff.

Need to see more.

Atilac

It's not necessarily that the outfit is sexy, it's that it is fucking lazy.
EDIT: This show lacks any semblance of dept or meaning, nothing worth attaching to. Gurren Lagann dealt with larger themes like overcoming adversity, FCLC - puberty and coming of age, Panty and Stocking was a critique of anime as a whole and the otaku culture that fuels it. This show feels lazy, and panders in the same vain as Queens Blade, trash that flaunts style without earning it and void of any compelling reason to watch - aside from lazy craziness and titties.

Beats

EDIT: This show lacks any semblance of dept or meaning, nothing worth attaching to. Gurren Lagann dealt with larger themes like overcoming adversity, FCLC - puberty and coming of age, Panty and Stocking was a critique of anime as a whole and the otaku culture that fuels it. This show feels lazy, and panders in the same vain as Queens Blade, trash that flaunts style without earning it and void of any compelling reason to watch - aside from lazy craziness and titties.

I think it's a bit early to make this sort of judgement. The show is 24 episodes. I mean it's possible that it may not have much to say or that it might be garbage. But I don't think it has really shown what's it's trying to convey yet or where it's taking itself..

remz

Atilac said:
Panty and Stocking was a critique of anime as a whole and the otaku culture that fuels it

That's a pretty big stretch there. I watched the whole thing and like 80-90% of it was shitty Japanese South Park

Acid08

Banned
Lol I'm glad you're such an expert on the entire thing after one episode. Here, let me pull a theme out of my ass really quick so that you can accept its deeper meaning: dealing with death and the loss of someone close to you. BOOM THERE YOU GO, DEEP AS HELL. You have a TTGL avatar, got any criticisms of Yoko's various outfits throughout the series? Sure they're less revealing(barely) but there are plenty of super close ups of her ass and tons of boob jiggle.

I thought the first episode was fantastic. It's going to be a really wild ride.

This. HSOTD is an amazing example of egregious fan service that in no way fits with the tone they're attempting to go for.

wonzo

Banned
Panty and Stocking was a critique of anime as a whole and the otaku culture that fuels it.
lol no it wasn't
Hiromi Wakabayashi is the twisted mind behind the initial idea for Panty and Stocking. I immediately asked who was responsible for episode 7 the transformers episode. It was him who wrote the script! Hahaha. Someone asked him about the inspiration behind the show. “ A few years ago I along with other Gainax staffers at an american convention were watching the American tv animation “drawn together” and we couldn’t believe they were showing such explicit things on tv….. I thought…why don’t we do that!” Haha. Everyone laughed.
wikipedia said:
Following the broadcast of Imaishi's previous project, Gurren Lagann, the show's staff went on a trip for rest and relaxation. At that time, they aired their opinions to each other under drunken and humorous circumstances, saying such things as "Next time, I want to try this" in regards to approaches to animation. Almost all of the concept for the anime was made during the initial trip; the names of main characters, 'Panty' and 'Stocking' were coined at the very first meeting. The theme of the anime is "vulgar and indecent jokes", with Imaishi saying, "If we are going to do this, we will try it thoroughly."

Crocodile

Thematically, the show is set up very similarly to TTGL. One we have a young boy and his friends fighting their way up and through an oppressive Beastmen regime intent to keep the human race down and beaten. In another, a young girl comes to a new locale to fight her way through an oppressive, fascist regime with a strong caste system in hopes of learning the mysteries behind her father's murder. They both have a VERY strong "RAW, RAW FIGHT THE POWA" current running through them.

Lord Genome = Satsuki
4 Generals = Three-Star Student Council members

Same antagonist setup as well.
Just like TTGL, I'm expecting plot twists and a midseason locale change as well.

Compared to the first episodes of TTGL and P&S, this show articulates it themes just as well. We'll see how it develops as time moves on though. As for the comparison to Queen's Blade, I've only had the displease (bleck) of watching one episode of that out of morbid curiosity but if you can't see the clear differences in what this show is doing and what that show is doing then you've got to be trolling. (This is independent if you like this show or not)

7Th

Producer Masahiko Otsuka said that there is a clear theme and meaning in KLK that will be easily understandable as the show progresses; I believe in Nakashima. I don't doubt that the outfit won't be different from Gurren-Lagann's drill: a ridiculous childish idea that gets tied up with the narrative in a clever and satisfying way.

harSon

Banned
I loved the first episode, but the bullshit fanservice guarantees that I'll be hiding the fact that I'm watching it. There's no reason for it...

duckroll

Producer Masahiko Otsuka said that there is a clear theme and meaning in KLK that will be easily understandable as the show progresses; I believe in Nakashima. I don't doubt that the outfit won't be different from Gurren-Lagann's drill: a ridiculous childish idea that gets tied up with the narrative in a clever and satisfying way.

Isn't the theme already pretty clear? I mean, it's not like the show is subversive or anything. It's pretty on the nose. The entire setting is based on a traditional class-based society where the capable rule over those who are weaker and more vulnerable. The one at the top of the power chain also has nothing but disdain for the "common" man who is perceived to "want" to be ruled and/or managed because it is easier to "wear" a role and identity given by someone higher up than to think for oneself.

Ryuko is just going to break all those barriers down because in her quest for revenge she is able to think outside of that societal context becomes a shounen superhero. Lol.

yami4ct

Isn't the theme already pretty clear? I mean, it's not like the show is subversive or anything. It's pretty on the nose. The entire setting is based on a traditional class-based society where the capable rule over those who are weaker and more vulnerable. The one at the top of the power chain also has nothing but disdain for the "common" man who is perceived to "want" to be ruled and/or managed because it is easier to "wear" a role and identity given by someone higher up than to think for oneself.

Ryuko is just going to break all those barriers down because in her quest for revenge she is able to think outside of that societal context becomes a shounen superhero. Lol.

Yeah, some of the major themes couldn't be more clear. They had the whole German fascist talk at the beginning, for example, that serves almost no other purpose than to start hammering on these themes of oppression and fascism. The show isn't particularly subtle in any sense.

cajunator

Banned
The outfit makes the show.
Im saying that not being a fan of fanservice too.
This show is all about fanservice, and its awesome for it, not in spite of it.

yami4ct

Man, could not disagree more Cajun. The fanservice and all the jokes it spawned were a complete whiff for me. Did more to tear down an awesome character rather than critique the ridiculous idea of fanserivice in general. Also, even disregarding the fanserivice, I found the outfit to just be a completely unappealing design.

FluxWaveZ

You're not a fan of fanservice, yet you say that fanservice is what makes the show?

If it's supposed to be some sort of parody, it failed at it in episode 1.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member

I read the entire first episode of the show as extremely subversive because everything was way too on the nose. If we get five or six episodes in and there isn't a bit more depth there I'd be pretty surprised.

duckroll

I read the entire first episode of the show as extremely subversive because everything was way too on the nose. If we get five or six episodes in and there isn't a bit more depth there I'd be pretty surprised.

Imaishi is not a subtle director. He's all about taking an idea, and smashing you in the face with it until you either like it or you stop watching! Just because something has more depth later doesn't mean the material is subversive though. You can be incredibly on the nose and still build on it. Just like Gurren Lagann.

I feel li fan service might be used too liberally .

When I thinking fan service I think high school of the dead . This was just a Costume that did intend to titalate.

In fact the the character were More offended by her having a goku suit than it being sexy

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Just because something has more depth later doesn't mean the material is subversive though. You can be incredibly on the nose and still build on it. Just like Gurren Lagann.
I've not watched TTGL, though I plan on getting around to it soonish, so I don't have that frame of reference. I'm not saying that the show will be subversive because of the depth. I'm just saying that the way I read the first episode (taking the piss out of the tropes it is using) tells me the direction the show is going to go isn't going to be quite as straight forward as it appears at first blush. But I don't know for sure obviously. Lots more show to watch.

Top Bottom