• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Andrew J.

There are definitely commonalities, but there's nothing "natural" about this election, or any part of this process. Honnouji Academy is Satuski's world, and everything within it revolves around her and furthering her goals. People aren't fighting for survival; they're fighting to advance, to get closer to that shining light of the center, the guarantee of power and strength. Satsuki is encouraging this process to create a stronger organization for herself, and for no other reason.

Nobody has to do anything for natural selection to happen. It's the product of an uncaring and impartial environment, altered by factors outside of anyone's control. In contrast, the competition of modern society, and the competition in Satsuki's academy, are artificial forces harnessed by the powerful to ensure more efficient production or strength. Complacency and peace lead to weakness. If everyone below the highest rung is fighting each other to serve the whims of the leader, they must always be strong enough to defend themselves, and they have no chance to aim at the one on top. To call back to the show's heavy-handed references to the Nazi Party in the first episode, this is how many totalitarian dictators operated.

Essentially, natural selection and Social Darwinism are both passive theories. They justify the world as it is. They're fundamentally conservative ideas. Satsuki is actively sowing chaos for her own ends.

It's perfectly ordinary for proponents of Social Darwinism to 1) exert great effort to restore or recreate the state of nature among what they perceive as corrupt society and 2) to display a certain amount of hypocrisy when it comes to their own interests. Bioshock is merely the first example that comes to mind.

duckroll

At the rate it is going episode 9,10,11,12 will all be big 4 fights with the finale being Ryuko v. Kiryuin with the twist at the end with the Mom/Dad being the big bad.

That would be really predictable and boring though. Nakashima and Imaishi can't be that lazy. Can they?!

Raxus

That would be really predictable and boring though. Nakashima and Imaishi can't be that lazy. Can they?!

I find it hard to believe they would keep up the battle royal premise for another 13 episodes considering the pedigree but I also can't see it playing out so straight forward either. I am sure something crazy will happen between now and episode 13.

Considering how fights have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if they do half an episode for each fight.
Need backstory for the other elite 4 and there is still the revelation of the scissor blade and what life fibers are.

kingkitty

Ep 8 was fine, although it bothered me when Ryuko asked Mako if she was gonna try to participate and get a goku suit. Didn't we see the consequences of that in ep 7? It's like everyone forgot!

LordCanti

cjAnIyj.jpg

7Th

I'm sure Gamagori and Uzu will be fought and defeated since they've already been introduced and developed but Nonon and Inumuta losing in the same episode in which they get their flashbacks would feel cheap and predictable.

LordCanti

I'm sure Gamagori and Uzu will be fought and defeated since they've already been introduced and developed but Nonon and Inumuta losing in the same episode in which they get their flashbacks would feel cheap and predictable.

I think it would be kind of lame if either of the latter two actually fought at all. Gama-chan and Blind-chan are battle specced, and it would be cool if Big-Hat and Blue Hair had uniforms that did something more unique.

Kinyou

Going to disagree with this because Lady Satsuki is very much a Social Darwinist, we have seen much of her value system and her plotting is based around the idea that strength and domination are what is considered to be ideal virtues of her world and everything else is to be cast aside into dust.
We know a big reason why Satsuki is letting Ryuko run around defeating club scrubs is that she sees it as a purging of the weak and thus making the overall organization that much stronger.
I was a little disappointed that the elite four got to keep their 3 stars uniforms. You'd think for having a real natural (s)election you'd take away advantages like that away. Not much survival of the fittest when you get to keep a gun.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I was a little disappointed that the elite four got to keep their 3 stars uniforms. You'd think for having a real natural (s)election you'd take away advantages like that away. Not much survival of the fittest when you get to keep a gun.

The arc is not over yet, the natural election continues.

Yeah the elbow joint is wrong (it should be on the side) or else you should be able to see the palm of her hand.
It's a shame because it's a very nice pic.

it's possible, for people with weak joints, to slightly dislocate your elbow. I can do that to an extent.
It's not pleasant to watch but not inaccurate in this case :p

Soriku

Pretty good episode and I liked Gamagoori's flashback and I'm starting to like Satsuki more even if her lines are all the same.

I wasn't expecting the Elite Four to be fought yet. Thought they would drag things out a little more. But we're inching up to the halfway point of the series, so this is a good time? I'm just wondering what this is all going to end up leading to.

Evilisk

Stop. Don't even go there!

Search in your heart, you know it to be true!

Seriously though, it makes all of the shipping pics with her a x1000 times more hilarious

Also, speaking of flashbacks

tumblr_mw23k0R3mP1s3ugfuo1_500.jpg

Nonon really loves her hats huh. Young Nonon's appearance has grown on me a lot, we really need more young Nonon fanart. She doesn't seem to have that monkey in the present though does she?

Also I wonder what kind of abilities Nonon has. I mean we've seen the Marching Band but there's no way she got to 3-Star Level just because she knows how to lead a bunch of people in battle. Actually, from all of the toys that we've seen her with (that monkey is probably a toy too), I get the feeling that maybe she's a puppeteer type of character. Either way I'm pretty hype to see Nonon in action soon.

Gazoinks

Seriously though, it makes all of the shipping pics with her a x1000 times more hilarious

Nonon really loves her hats huh. Young Nonon's appearance has grown on me a lot, we really need more young Nonon fanart. She doesn't seem to have that monkey in the present though does she?

Also I wonder what kind of abilities Nonon has. I mean we've seen the Marching Band but there's no way she got to 3-Star Level just because she knows how to lead a bunch of people in battle. Actually, from all of the toys that we've seen her with (that monkey is probably a toy too), I get the feeling that maybe she's a puppeteer type of character. Either way I'm pretty hype to see Nonon in action soon.

I like how everyone is dressed in a regular clothes version of what'd be their Goku Uniforms later: Gamagoori's spikes, Nonon's hat, and Computer Guy (what's his name again?)'s muffler thing.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I love how they looked when they were younger. wish gamagoori kept his long hair.

LeleSocho

Banned
Endstory spoilers
Senketsu is an AntiSpiral that will drive Ryuko to kill Satsuki which is Lordgenome's first daughter giving him a reason to fight them, after Lordgenome's defeat he will rest for centuries on the top of Honnouji Accademy that will become his castle.

True story.

That was a good episode. Didnt expect Gamagooris transformation to be..that, but his second transformation looks like it should be pretty awesome. Now I understand why his weapon was a whip, hah.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wow, Aniplex subs on KLK have been really spotty. They really need an editor to check on these mistakes. Just embarrassing.
It would be kind of funny if they stayed the same in the $400 box set. Just kind of though.

rexor0717

Endstory spoilers
Senketsu is an AntiSpiral that will drive Ryuko to kill Satsuki which is Lordgenome's first daughter giving him a reason to fight them, after Lordgenome's defeat he will rest for centuries on the top of Honnouji Accademy that will become his castle.

True story.

I would love it if they were in the same universe. @_@

Top Bottom