• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Vito

Banned
Track list

823500358.jpg

samples up on the official site tomorrow I think

sonicmj1

It's perfectly ordinary for proponents of Social Darwinism to 1) exert great effort to restore or recreate the state of nature among what they perceive as corrupt society and 2) to display a certain amount of hypocrisy when it comes to their own interests. Bioshock is merely the first example that comes to mind.

I was having trouble finding the words when I first tried to respond to this post, and maybe this whole debate is just semantic, but Social Darwinism and Objectivism (or Satsuki's own aims) are different things. Social Darwinism is concerned with who has the right to reproduce. It's a way of guiding the evolution of the species. Social Darwinists want to keep the weak or unfit from reproducing (be it passively by removing safety nets, or actively through euthanasia or worse). In Andrew Ryan's vision, he wanted to create a society for great people, which had nothing to do with some idea of evolution or passing on of superior genes. It's just about keeping great people away from the greedy claws of morally degenerate parasites. Andrew Ryan doesn't care who has kids. In fact, in Objectivist theory, an ideal objectivist world that didn't saddle great men with "moral" burdens would allow the weak to reproduce more than the communist dystopia that inevitably would result otherwise.

Satsuki isn't ruling Honnouji Academy to bring about some distant genetically superior future. She's trying to create a powerful institution under her now, and that means competition to keep the strong ready and weed out those who are complacent. Not all competition is natural selection, this election included.

Andrew J.

I was having trouble finding the words when I first tried to respond to this post, and maybe this whole debate is just semantic, but Social Darwinism and Objectivism (or Satsuki's own aims) are different things. Social Darwinism is concerned with who has the right to reproduce. It's a way of guiding the evolution of the species. Social Darwinists want to keep the weak or unfit from reproducing (be it passively by removing safety nets, or actively through euthanasia or worse). In Andrew Ryan's vision, he wanted to create a society for great people, which had nothing to do with some idea of evolution or passing on of superior genes. It's just about keeping great people away from the greedy claws of morally degenerate parasites. Andrew Ryan doesn't care who has kids. In fact, in Objectivist theory, an ideal objectivist world that didn't saddle great men with "moral" burdens would allow the weak to reproduce more than the communist dystopia that inevitably would result otherwise.

Satsuki isn't ruling Honnouji Academy to bring about some distant genetically superior future. She's trying to create a powerful institution under her now, and that means competition to keep the strong ready and weed out those who are complacent. Not all competition is natural selection, this election included.

I don't see how those are mutually exclusive.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 8

killlakill8.jpg

i lost it when he blushed from mako's constant fawning

Kinda bummed out this didn't turn out to be like that DBZ driving test ep with Gamagoori but they really delivered with his flashback.

speculah:

senketsu = ryuuko's dad
junketsu = the woman who merged with the suit in the experiment = ryuuko's mother = why it was reacting so violently and needed to be restrained & why satsuki felt so drained from using it
satsuki killed isshin after her mother ordered her to
the red grid of people in the op represents not only the human sacrifices for the life fibers, but also represents the oppressive nature of satsuki's mother in how she rules over everyone including satsuki (notice how it's shaped very similarly to the dome building she was living in) so she'll be the main antagonist for the later half
(this is a stretch but) isshin was also satsuki's father and being forced to kill her dad probably pushed her growing resentment of her mother to breaking point which'd motivate her to finally overthrow her oppressive mother = ryuuko & satsuki (and the four devas if any of them are still around/loyal) team up

Zeroth

Episode 8

killlakill8.jpg

i lost it when he blushed from mako's constant fawning

Kinda bummed out this didn't turn out to be like that DBZ driving test ep with Gamagoori but they really delivered with his flashback.

speculah:

senketsu = ryuuko's dad
junketsu = the woman who merged with the suit in the experiment = ryuuko's mother = why it was reacting so violently and needed to be restrained & why satsuki felt so drained from using it
satsuki killed isshin after her mother ordered her to
the red grid of people in the op represents not only the human sacrifices for the life fibers, but also represents the oppressive nature of satsuki's mother in how she rules over everyone including satsuki (notice how it's shaped very similarly to the dome building she was living in) so she'll be the main antagonist for the later half
(this is a stretch but) isshin was also satsuki's father and being forced to kill her dad probably pushed her growing resentment of her mother to breaking point which'd motivate her to finally overthrow her oppressive mother = ryuuko & satsuki (and the four devas if any of them are still around/loyal) team up

Regarding the last one although I can buy
Isshin being Satsuki's father, I don't think she knows that
. But overall I agree with your theories, and I would like to add that
Senketsu was found underground, and it's probable Isshin activated the floor trap before the explosion, and before dying gave his essence to Senketsu, that at the time was an experiment.

rexor0717

Why are we spoilering super speculation? I feel like Satsuki and Ryuko are related. If not that, there is definitely more to their relationship than they know.

wonzo

Banned
Regarding the last one although I can buy
Isshin being Satsuki's father, I don't think she knows that
. But overall I agree with your theories, and I would like to add that
Senketsu was found underground, and it's probable Isshin activated the floor trap before the explosion, and before dying gave his essence to Senketsu, that at the time was an experiment.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Why are we spoilering super speculation?

didn't want to start another spergfit about spoilers in this thread

I thought this was going to start playing when they got on the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbQ5KOLJcnk
yet another missed opportunity. rip trigger

Top Bottom