• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

LordCanti

i didn't know newtype scans were ever classy

Yeah really. They could have had her in battle mode from a low angle or something but they took the high road and made something that is actually very interesting instead. I know it isn't canonical or anything, but it's easy enough to imagine that this poster takes place during the time that they were living in the two star area.

Vito

Banned
Most scans come from drop (used to be suemura on AnimePaper), he usually scans all the Megami and Nyantype pinups which are fanservice oriented, but the rest is a bit random.

The rest are random photos and minitokyo scans, so yeah, the illustrations you get to see online aren't exactly all of them, mostly skewed toward the perv ones.

Nonon is adorable and amazing.

And holy shit the soundtrack was incredible this last episode. The fight music...damn I need the OST now

jgminto

tumblr_mxj231uqX51r2dfydo1_500.png
link

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
feels like they got their inspiration from rozen maiden, or it could be that I recently watched rozen maiden.

Akainu

So what's the general concensus on this show now? I stopped after episode 1 and have since cancelled Crunchyroll after Titan ended. I could read the thread over, but am afraid of spoilers.

Also, is Space Dandy set for Crunchyroll release?

Watch Hunter x Hunter.

Man this show was such a disappointment. The art style and designs are great. But once they unveiled the suggestive suit it was all downhill (the negative one). They desperately need some wannabe Jump editor to reign them in. Hopefully winter brings better things.

duckroll

Yea, it is too early to judge this series.

We're about half done. I think it's perfectly fair to critique the 10 episodes which have aired, and if it's disappointing now, no matter how "good" it gets later on, it will still be tainted as a series with a bunch of disappointing episodes.

LordCanti

I'm also loving it. I fully recognize that they're limited by budget but it hasn't really negatively impacted my viewing experience yet.

I don't know how anyone could be disappointed in a show where Gamagoori fires his dick into Senketsu's mouth who then chomps down on it. Nani sore?

It's probably not going to reach GL's highs in animation even if they blow all of their money on one or two key episodes. It's also not as compelling of a tale as Simon/Kamina literally rising out of the ground and being forced into a fight to stay there. The stakes started out way higher in GL and it felt more impactful at every step of the way because of their progression, while in KLK we're still doing student council related battle at ten episodes in (11 really, unless she really shakes things up). Basically, KLK isn't evolving at the same pace GL was.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, this show had an incredible Hype la Hype to live up to, not to mention quite a few people expected another Gurren Lagan, so yes, I can certainly see on a disappointment scale that can be judged rather harshly. Still, yea, I am with the people who think Kill la Kill has thus far lived up to the challenge for the most part.

LogicStep

Student council stuff should be ending soon imo. There seems to be a bigger picture that we aren't seeing yet. I'm looking at characters like the bike dude that fought Mako in the beginning, the teacher, and Satsuki's mom and that other city/building we saw that one episode. There has to be more to it than just the school stuff.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Student council stuff should be ending soon imo. There seems to be a bigger picture that we aren't seeing yet. I'm looking at characters like the bike dude that fought Mako in the beginning, the teacher, and Satsuki's mom and that other city/building we saw that one episode. There has to be more to it than just the school stuff.

Yea. that is kind of what I was initially talking about, the larger judgements of the series get a refrain since they are clearly building up to a climax and twist that is going to change everything. The argument could be made right now that such a storyline tactic is stifling things in the here and now.

duckroll

I really like the stuff which has nothing at all to do with the school itself - Mako's family, random character humor, the Satsuki flashbacks, the Nudist Beach stuff. Those are the strong parts of the show. Episode 5 showed the most ambition in terms of being more than the standard episode, and had really good direction. I just get incredibly bored when the show continues to drag out the pointless "school battle" stuff when it's clear that at some point none of it will matter anymore. I just find it boring and drawn out. It doesn't help that I really dislike the character designs for Team Satsuki. :(

LogicStep

I like it because we get to see Ryuko start from nothing to what she is now and she still has a ways to go before she can defeat Satsuki. Then whatever twist the series throws at us. Thankfully I'm enjoying the fights and I can't wait to see what will happen eventually. But all of those points you mention are very interesting to me too and most likely will play a big role in the second half.

Evilisk

Well, this show had an incredible Hype la Hype to live up to, not to mention quite a few people expected another Gurren Lagan, so yes, I can certainly see on a disappointment scale that can be judged rather harshly. Still, yea, I am with the people who think Kill la Kill has thus far lived up to the challenge for the most part.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I didn't even hype myself before getting into this show and I feel like I would have been disappointed if I had been.

Only two episodes have been really great for me, episode 5 and episode 10. Every other episode has been pretty hit and miss; some episodes have been fun, some have been boring and some have been predictable as hell. I just find the fights in this show to be super formulaic, I'm not a fan of the minimalist approach to world building (funny since exposition dumps are frequent); I find the sound design to be not all that great (even the OP and ED seem lacklustre) besides Nonon's godly VA, and I don't like how most of the episodes I have watched don't feel like full episodes.

Even now, while it seems to be picking up, I'm finding myself more hype for what is coming (incoming Tsumugu, possible Act II) as opposed to what we have already gotten (the 3-Star Fights). And I also feel like once this big build up has past, the show might go back to being boring again (though I really hope this isn't the case).

Also maybe it's just me but it seems like all of the interesting aspects of the show get killed off the moment they are introduced. Having a non-uniform character that's not Mako, removing the aspect of Ryuko possibly passing out from blood loss in a fight, or having Mako keep around a Goku uniform, all of these seem be cool yet Trigger seems to have no qualms with keeping the status quo (seriously, they seem so adamant on keeping the dynamic/set up they built in episode 1).

It's kind of frustrating to be honest since I feel like this show could be much more fun and interesting to watch. That's just me though, I guess I just don't like how most of the aspects that I normally look to for enjoyment in a show (world building, interesting battles) seem to be the most least interesting aspects.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I do understand that sentiment since I have found AnimeGAF darling Kyousougiga kind of a turgid affair for various reasons. I also understand how some of the fights have been disappointing due to a few reasons. The world building has been fine in my estimation, maybe a little too localized but that may feed into the second half. Yea, the music is pretty forgettable for the most part. I do think part of the problem is Kill la Kill is living in the shadow of Tengan Toppa, which is unavoidable yes, but also problematic since this program clearly isn't that.

series is great so far, slowing down a bit, but what has been shown so far has justified the time spent watching it!

if we put it in dubstep terms, this is the low right before the beat drops!

Gazoinks

I'm enjoying it, but the thing that's really annoying me is the pacing. They keep threatening to break the mold and shake things up, and then they just return to the formulaic school fighting by the end of the episode. Also, Ryuko started strong and then got boring, and I'm losing interest in Satsuki too. Good supporting characters, though.

Top Bottom