• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

LordCanti

Nah...I think what we've got here is a Zaraki Kenpachi type situation where the eye patch comes off and she achieves her final form.

I realize that he didn't achieve his final form. You know what I'm talking about.

Chariot

Nah...I think what we've got here is a Zaraki Kenpachi type situation where the eye patch comes off and she achieves her final form.

I realize that he didn't achieve his final form. You know what I'm talking about.
Yeah, we just wait until she hold her umbrella in two hands.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just caught up with eps 10 and 11. This has probably been posted a lot of times but: shit is getting reeeeal.

I loved all the nonon scenes too, Mayumi Shintani is such a joy to listen to, haha,

Evilisk

Have you considered that maybe you consider these episodes the best because your favorite characters are on them?

If I really was considering those episodes good just because they were in it, I would have put episode 11 down as well lol

Seriously though, I wasn't really hype for Nonon back in episode 5 and I still considered it at the time (I still do consider it) to be a really well put together episode; it's still probably the best episode in Kill la Kill so far for me.

wonzo

Banned
killlakill11.jpg

My only real complaint with this ep was the rather disjointed use of Music for the climax of Nonon's fight but everything else was a real return to form. sogood
klkmakoamazed.png

Her skin is a 6 star uniform!
Setting up some mad social commentary on
plastic surgery.

sonicmj1

Kill la Kill 11

End of this episode was awesome. I liked that there was some actual animation in this fight. Maybe that'll be a trend going forward. I can hope!

With how much things seem to have escalated, it makes the last two episodes feel even more pointless than before. Seeing Ryuuko's abilities escalate was good and important, but with how limp the fights were then, all we got was some backstory. Given how efficient the show's writing had generally been about getting multiple things across, they were a real low point. This episode (the second half in particular) was a lot better on that front.

I see where people are coming from about the musical finale being lacking, though I found it pretty cool at the time. It would have been better if the two songs matched each other better (to imagine what Iwasaki could have done with Beethoven's Fifth...), but I still liked the idea of what they were doing.

They'd better not be holding anything back next episode. I'm hoping for
a fight beyond the scale of episode 3's showdown where Ryuuko pushes herself to the breaking point to try to leave a scratch on Nui, only for Nudist Beach to make their move when it seems like Senketsu's going to destroy her.
Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to seeing where the second half of this show goes.

Fairly sure that is the case.
The whole thing is so weird. Her half of the scissors has a different handle and a different shape? She says she took it from her dad's body, and then says that she killed him, when Ryuko asks her. And how did she take it form his body, when it was Ryuko that did so? The purple sword's shape is completely different from what Ryuko saw. The show still hasn't been clear on what happened. Can we even trust Ryuko's own telling of the story? She was looking for a blue sword at the beginning of the show, but the sword on the recent retelling of her dad's death wasn't blue at all. And the shot that goes back to present time Ryuko not so subtly paints her sword in with a blue light. And what is up with this frame even showing up in the show? Was it just an intern that didn't know what he was doing, or does it imply yet another layer of meta narrative? Who the fuck even knows!

As for the scissors? Thumb slot and other fingers slot.

wxBgR9froWc.jpg

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
This may be sacrilege and stupid but it worries me. Mainly because she's my favorite, but....

I think Satsuki is going to die. I don't know how or why, but I just can't see her being second banana to anyone (main character or not). She'd never be ok with letting Ryuko fight her mom in her place. The elite four would never join Ryuko unless this happened. It's almost feels like Satsuki is the Kamina of this anime.

Also on the theories that I've seen around the internet, if Kinue (Mohawk's either love interest of maybe even sister) does turn out to be Ryuko's mom (Making Mohawk an uncle), it's possible that she got turned into the first kamui (Satsuki's) when she was "ripped apart". Then the combination of junketsu and senketsu, which is likely to be her dad (too likely, to the point where it's probably not true and this is all crap) would be a perfect kamui in perfect sync with Ryuko. Again though this would probably only happen if Satsuki gave it up (not likely) or died (which I hope not).

Or, most likely, this will all be Jossed with next weeks episode haha.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
If Satsuki dies, I don't know if I could watch the show anymore. Her and Mako are probably my favorites so far.

Evilisk

This may be sacrilege and stupid but it worries me. Mainly because she's my favorite, but....

I think Satsuki is going to die. I don't know how or why, but I just can't see her being second banana to anyone (main character or not). She'd never be ok with letting Ryuko fight her mom in her place. The elite four would never join Ryuko unless this happened. It's almost feels like Satsuki is the Kamina of this anime.

Also on the theories that I've seen around the internet, if Kinue (Mohawk's either love interest of maybe even sister) does turn out to be Ryuko's mom (Making Mohawk an uncle), it's possible that she got turned into the first kamui (Satsuki's) when she was "ripped apart". Then the combination of junketsu and senketsu, which is likely to be her dad (too likely, to the point where it's probably not true and this is all crap) would be a perfect kamui in perfect sync with Ryuko. Again though this would probably only happen if Satsuki gave it up (not likely) or died (which I hope not).

Or, most likely, this will all be Jossed with next weeks episode haha.

I guess Satsuki dying is possible, I even initially thought this was how things were going to play out, but now I'm starting to feel like it's less likely.

The main thing is that I don't think that all of the Elite 4 would necessarily want to join up with Ryuko if Satsuki was killed.

Gamagoori might; Sanageyama might if he's beaten by Ryuko in a fight or he might not join up since he knows there are probably stronger people than Ryuko out there; Inu probably won't since he seems less interested with Satsuki's goals and more with being able to gather info; and while Nonon is loyal, there's no telling how she would react to Satsuki's death (though I'm guessing a mental breakdown might be in order). And even if she did react to it in a sane way, she really doesn't seem to get along well with Ryuko and Mako.

As for Satsuki not wanting playing second fiddle, it's too early to speculate on how Ryuko and Satsuki would co-operate. I mean, now that Ryuko no longer has any interest in going after Satsuki anymore (even if it's probably only temporary), we don't even know how they'd react or interact with one another now. So I wouldn't count out them being able to work together. I could see them operate as a standard Five Man Band (Satsuki as Leader, Elite Four in their respective positions) with Ryuko as the Sixth Ranger (has the same goals as Satsuki but doesn't really follow her lead/uses her own method to achieve them).

duckroll

Yeah but which gets it first? Alternatively, what else is there to watch on Daisuki/Wakanim/Crunchyroll as I'm really paying CR for only Kill la Kill at this moment

Everywhere gets KLK at the same time afaik. Daisuki has the other Aniplex shows as well, like Magi, Monogatari, and Valvrave. Not much else which is current. Wakanim has more, but I think that's a Europe service? CR still has the best line-up in terms of total shows, so it really depends on what you watch.

super2j

Neo Member
I think the big traumatic event that will explode on Ryuuko's face and change everything for her is going to be
Senketsu getting "killed". Considering the way in which he is being portrayed, the idea that he can ever harm Ryuuko feels completely farfetched. Right when everyone expects him to betray Ryuuko, he will sacrifice himself for her instead; I doubt they will remove him of the show for good, but she should be unable to wear him for a few episodes.

Mako is perfectly safe by the way; people thinking that she may die have just taken a joke too far.

I sense a "you must sew him back together with you own feelings and strength, but the journey to get the thread you need and or the thread is part of you and you need to pull it out.

I didn't really like the nonon fight, it was alright but I have to say, the second half there.... oh man, oh and the peanut gallery, Mako and Gama, woot woot.

Edit: ok I got it. This whole thing has been a power tease (ala god of war). This girl pulls out threads, so who has like a million of them? Senketsu is going to lose all of his acquired life fibers and Matoi will be unable to do all the super cool stuff she can randomly do now. Then Nudest beach interject and rescue her and get her out. They then set up training stuff to get her to learn how to actually make the most out of Senketsu

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I guess Satsuki dying is possible, I even initially thought this was how things were going to play out, but now I'm starting to feel like it's less likely.

The main thing is that I don't think that all of the Elite 4 would necessarily want to join up with Ryuko if Satsuki was killed.

Gamagoori might; Sanageyama might if he's beaten by Ryuko in a fight or he might not join up since he knows there are probably stronger people than Ryuko out there; Inu probably won't since he seems less interested with Satsuki's goals and more with being able to gather info; and while Nonon is loyal, there's no telling how she would react to Satsuki's death (though I'm guessing a mental breakdown might be in order). And even if she did react to it in a sane way, she really doesn't seem to get along well with Ryuko and Mako.

As for Satsuki not wanting playing second fiddle, it's too early to speculate on how Ryuko and Satsuki would co-operate. I mean, now that Ryuko no longer has any interest in going after Satsuki anymore (even if it's probably only temporary), we don't even know how they'd react or interact with one another now. So I wouldn't count out them being able to work together. I could see them operate as a standard Five Man Band (Satsuki as Leader, Elite Four in their respective positions) with Ryuko as the Sixth Ranger (has the same goals as Satsuki but doesn't really follow her lead/uses her own method to achieve them).

I can agree with that. I could see her take a behind the scenes more manipulative role. (what she already does anyways). It's just that I can't see them both facing the mom. If Satsuki does it then Ryuko has nothing to fight and I really don't see it flowing well as a story if Ryuko
does it while Satsuki watches
. Both of them fighting her together really goes against the ongoing theme of one on one epic battles.

The third option I guess (and what makes the most sense) is that a bigger baddie that somehow offends Ryuko more (Not sure what could be more offensive than being the person who ordered your father dead) is taken on by the main character while team B (Honnouji Fighting Five) takes out their main antagonist, Big Mom. Maybe sexy sensei is the super secret ultimate bad guy...

Jex

[Kill la Kill] - 11

Both the music itself, and the sound arrangement and editing in this show is pretty bad. C'mon guys, step it up.

At least this weeks episode actually had quite a lot of animation in it, which is a shame because the fight itself was rather dull and it just...kept on going.

The end of the episode certainly pulled the show back to a better place but
as other's have speculated I believe it's pretty clear that she isn't the killer.

Chariot

Huh, Nui Harimes voice actor ist Yukari Tamura according to some KLK wiki.
Is she being typecasted for cute extremely poweful girls?

NotLiquid

The woman in the flashback was probably Satsuki, but I don't believe that disproves the notion that Nui killed Isshin. She doesn't look like she has the Scissor Blade in that brief shot which raises a red flag, so chances are Satsuki really was on the scene but she never got what she came there for. The Scissor Blade looking different is hardly a point of contention either as Nui's blade resembles the thumb-formed handle that scissors can have, while Ryuko's is the end that's formed for fingers. I doubt Ryuko is misremembering either, she's basically been chasing a red herring who had an entirely different agenda, and I believe that unknown agenda going to be key going forward.

Besides, Nui probably did so under orders, meaning that Ryuko will still have a target of revenge even with Nui out of the picture.

Here's a whacked out theory -
what if Satsuki fought Nui in the flashback and attempted to protect Isshin?

daveo42

Banned
I really like the entire episode, though I agree that the 2nd half was far superior to the first. The first part felt like something that should have been resolved by the end of the prior episode or been better paced out so it didn't feel so cheap at the end.

Ragyo's theme and what I am assuming is Harime's theme were both spectacular. I especially like Harime's because of the seemingly childish tone, while giving way to a much darker and foreboding theme.

As for a Ryuuko being one of the least best characters (this show doesn't really have any bad ones), there has been zero growth from here since episode one, aside from Mako's episode and family. She's been far to one-tracked on her mission to take down Satsuki while not going right after her and instead fell into the trappings that she pretty much avoided previous to showing up at the academy.

I'm sure we will probably get some sort of downtime soon after this fight, either with
Ryuuko and Mako aligned with Satsuki and gang (maybe even Nudist Beach, though not sure what their play is here other than a life fiberless world, which would be a bit dull) and/or the destruction of Senketsu.

Needless to say, I am very excited for the next episode and the eventual OST release and hope the show continues to get better from here.

The woman in the flashback was probably Satsuki, but I don't believe that disproves the notion that Nui killed Isshin. She doesn't look like she has the Scissor Blade in that brief shot which raises a red flag, so chances are Satsuki really was on the scene but she never got what she came there for. The Scissor Blade looking different is hardly a point of contention either as Nui's blade resembles the thumb-formed handle that scissors can have, while Ryuko's is the end that's formed for fingers. I doubt Ryuko is misremembering either, she's basically been chasing a red herring who had an entirely different agenda, and I believe that unknown agenda going to be key going forward.

Besides, Nui probably did so under orders, meaning that Ryuko will still have a target of revenge even with Nui out of the picture.

Here's a whacked out theory -
what if Satsuki fought Nui in the flashback and attempted to protect Isshin?

This is probably true based on the current comments coming from Satsuki.
She's probably using/wants Ryuuko's help in taking down her mother, using Senketsu and Ryuuko's current abilities to make better suits for her elite 4/the school.

(I spent money and got crunchy roll back, and) I'm glad I got to go through these less interesting episodes all the way through into this extremely interesting one's second half. Still having a lot of fun with the show.

Sapphire did an english cover of the opening.

Check it out, it's pretty good.
Fantastic. My ears thank you.
EDIT: No? Alright then, how about this?
I like the blue contrasted with Ryuko's red. <3

Top Bottom