• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Soma

Heh, must be why I didn't like it.

iuBUr935DWLf7.png

LordCanti

Ryuuko is going to have to pull some crazy bullshit out of thin air to reach Satsuki. lol. This episode was crazy.

The obvious solution is for Nudist Beach to hit a delivery of Life Fibers and then stuff them down Senketsu's throat.

The only solution is to become one with Senketsu.

Gazoinks

I liked the episode, but the show drags its heels again at the end, tossing all the tension and sense of escalation it had built up out the window.

But when you toss Satsuki and Mako together in one episode, only good things can happen. So it was fun! But still.

This has been my main issue with the show as a whole. They keep bringing in all these elements that threaten to shake things up, and the episode escalates, and then... it goes back to the status-quo and the pacing is slaughtered. Hopefully it'll actually stick this time.

Kill La Kill 12

That thing we all knew would happen FINALLY happened! Hooray!
I really hope this show doesn't go back to the school fighting again now that we've had this happen.

Anyway, good episode. Hype mostly justified. I still feel like, pacing-wise, it took too long to get to this point, but the episode itself delivered.
Although it might've been even stronger if Ryuko were developed a little more so I felt more afraid for her when she went berserk. Nui's hair being totally different in Ryuko's flashback still bothers me, don't know if that's a plot point or some bizarre oversight.

Ryuko and Satsuki are definitely teaming up at some point to go after the mum.

Mako > All

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Well the unifying conquest theme is pretty evident. Makes me wonder if the Honnouji title of the school will foreshadow the death I've already predicted.

The interesting thing about this sengoku period type of story is that the person doing the conquering is also a member of the symbolic imperial family (kryuuin meaning devil dragon/imperial institution).

Another interesting point is that at the end of the sengoku period Toyotomi Hideyoshi after unifying most of Japan made weapons illegal for the rest of society in order to prevent rebellions. With clothing being the weapons in this anime, I wonder what organization would want the banning of clothing?

tl:dr I'm just talking out my ass again

Zeroth

The hair thing was certainly intentional.
It only existed to threw people's predictions off. I mean, they made it look like Satsuki to give some doubt on her.

Gazoinks

This is how we'll find out that Nudist Beach consists of just two members and one of them is seemingly outclassed by members of both opposing factions.

This would actually be a hilarious plot twist. It's just the two of them in a blanket fort talking about their cool secret club that girl aren't allowed in.

Evilisk

After a lot of thinking, what bugs me the most about this episode is that it really doesn't seem like there have been any lasting consequences for Ryuuko after all of the buildup from the last two episodes. Ryuuko went berserk, sure, but now she knows all she needs is Mako to calm down again.

I was expecting at least Ryuuko or Senketsu to be gimped because of this, or for somebody to die as a consequence for her going Berserk. But nothing like that happened, besides the heavy blood loss there's nothing there to reinforce that going berserk is particularly bad (not unless Mako is around anyway).

Well, maybe the schoosl just accept (maybe even ask for) Ryuuko's help because she is their only chance they have and Ryuuko needs to come up with a way to use their relatively powerless assets to defeat Satsuki's improved army; it would definitely be challenge.

While I'm sure Ryuuko wants to just get to Satsuki herself, she alone can't take on all the Four Kings and Satsuki's improved army. Searching for allies would be a good idea. I do agree that making Nudist Beach just finally tell her everything and properly join her would probably be better than creating new and unrelated characters. Hell, maybe the kid with the glasses is just another member of Nudist Beach.

I could see this happening. Ryuuko already had a reputation for disrupting a lot of Honnouji's branch schools (this was around episode 1 or 2 I think). I'm sure the news of Ryuuko opposing Honnouji with a Scissor Blade and Kamui will have spread to other schools by now and the schools might see her as a potential ally.

Honestly though I think it's more possible the schools will get supplied by Nudist Beach as opposed to Nudist Beach taking full reign of the opposing schools. I can't see Nudist Beach using all of their resources just to oppose Satsuki only especially since she seems to be acting independently of Revocs as a whole.

TheOGB

Banned
I liked the episode, but the show drags its heels again at the end, tossing all the tension and sense of escalation it had built up out the window.

But when you toss Satsuki and Mako together in one episode, only good things can happen. So it was fun! But still.
This has been my main issue with the show as a whole. They keep bringing in all these elements that threaten to shake things up, and the episode escalates, and then... it goes back to the status-quo and the pacing is slaughtered. Hopefully it'll actually stick this time.
Yeah, in the time where things could have been shaken up the most the resolution of this arc still feels like a tease. The whole goddamn show is just a big, ridiculous(ly entertaining) tease. And if you keep on teasing, someone's gonna get blue balls.

duckroll

Episode 12

Well, at least the episode wasn't boring. Too bad it contains a lot of what I actually dislike about Imaishi's stuff. The entire episode felt like he was just one step away from going into full Dead Leaves mode or something. Not something I particularly enjoy. This show is totally hit or miss for me, much like most of Imaishi's other shows.

Soriku

peopledie.jpg

Anyway, good action in this episode...and yeah that was pretty much it lol. There's still a lot of things being kept in the dark as Satsuki noted in the end. With only 12 eps left, I feel like some things may be rushed. Ryuuko has to deal with Satsuki, presumably her mother, and then we have to know the truth about the Kamui and Life Fibers and such (which I'm not sure we'll know about till a couple episodes down the line).

cntr

Banned
Ep 12
Goddamn.

Berserker Ryuko's design is great, gave me legitimate chills when they transformed. And of course Mako's the best. That said, less happened in the episode than I thought would happen -- for a show whose tagline is "Kill or be killed!", there's been little killing aside from Isshin.

Where are they going to go from here? Edit: Seems like I missed a bit of the episode or something. I somehow feel like Satsuki's putting up a show for Ryuko here, but we'll have to see.

2 weeks of no Kill la Kill is going to kill me. ;_; At least we'll have the OST to tide us over next week.

Giolon

Oh my god. I think I'm in love w/ Satsuki.
And Mako

Great episode. I don't know how I'm going to handle 3 weeks w/o KLK. This episode is a gold mine for gifs.

People die when they're killed from blood loss!

I don't think I've ever met a dumb character that I've loved so much. And Jesus Christ is Mako DUMB.

It's pretty evident that Satsuki is Hitler, and Satsuki's mom is Bigger Hitler. There's not going to be any teamups.

In a way, I like how things turned out. Ryuko was so consumed by vengeance and so ignorant that instead of getting revenge on her father's death, she greatly helped the person responsible in achieving her goals (instead of ruining them). Next episode will probably be about her getting her learning to give a shit with what is going on, right?

Still as you say
theres a bigger Hitler, so its very possible that at the end the smaller Hitler turns around and turns "good", at least moderatly. My problem with this is that they dont really feel they are villians but they feel (her and the elite 4) more like Vegeta right now. Even if their creator's intentions is to make them real bad villians, their charisma and how they behave doesnt let them be too Hitler type villians.
But I dont know, maybe they surprises us in the future.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh my god. I think I'm in love w/ Satsuki.
And Mako

Great episode. I don't know how I'm going to handle 3 weeks w/o KLK. This episode is a gold mine for gifs.

People die when they're killed from blood loss!

I don't think I've ever met a dumb character that I've loved so much. And Jesus Christ is Mako DUMB.

I want satsuki to marry me, and she can be the husband even if im the man

fmpanda

Still as you say
theres a bigger Hitler, so its very possible that at the end the smaller Hitler turns around and turns "good", at least moderatly. My problem with this is that they dont really feel they are villians but they feel (her and the elite 4) more like Vegeta right now. Even if their creator's intentions is to make them real bad villians, their charisma and how they behave doesnt let them be too Hitler type villians.
But I dont know, maybe they surprises us in the future.

Judging from what we saw, I wouldn't be surprised that Satsuki wants the Scissor Blades to go up against her Mum, which makes me wonder how much worse Revocs really is. Satsuki's just playing hard to get, or in Toku terms, she's acting like Kamen Rider Leangle right now. She just needs to get humbled and then go through a redemption arc with the help of her 4 buddies, then she can nab the other Scissor Blade from Nui to take on the Big Bad.

NotLiquid

I don't know whether I'm missing something here but the fact that we're right back where we've started with Satsuki coming across as a ruthless conqueror is starting to make me even more bored of her. I realize people are theorizing it's to have a force large enough to take on her mother but the ending with Ryuko seems to be implying it's not a plan that's in Ryuko's best interests. The ending makes me wonder whether Ryuko is just going to tag along to throw a monkey wrench in their scheme, and Satsuki's disposition still seems to have an air of being full of herself.

I'm just sick and tired of things always going her way for the last 12 episodes I guess, and I was hoping that with the Elite Four having their costumes stripped off, we'd have to literally deal with a more "stripped" original batch of villains.

Evilisk

I don't know whether I'm missing something here but the fact that we're right back where we've started with Satsuki coming across as a ruthless conqueror is starting to make me even more bored of her. I realize people are theorizing it's to have a force large enough to take on her mother but the ending with Ryuko seems to be implying it's not a plan that's in Ryuko's best interests. The ending makes me wonder whether Ryuko is just going to tag along to throw a monkey wrench in their scheme, and Satsuki's disposition still seems to have an air of being full of herself.

I'm just sick and tired of things always going her way for the last 12 episodes I guess, and I was hoping that with the Elite Four having their costumes stripped off, we'd have to literally deal with a more "stripped" original batch of villains.

I got a different vibe from the ending. Like she was insulting her as it seemed she was so close to getting some answers because she beat 3 of the Elite 4, but then revealing that it had all been part of her plan all along. And she was going to have simply sit back, rest and watch the consequences.

That said I totally agree with the second part. I'm kind of sick everything going Satsuki's way. I was really hoping something would change with this episode but it seems they really want to stick with the status quo, for better or worse.

RoyalFool

Banned
Phew, just watched it - good episode, but disappointed by the post credits sequence
that unwinds the progression of Satsuki and paints her as a villain yet again.
. From that gif posted earlier I assumed this was the inevitable "they team up against a stronger enemy" episode I've been waiting for ever since they introduced the characters, we know it's happening - and it will be awesome. Just wish they would get on with it.

So my prediction for the next few episodes..

Satsuki conquers the other schools with her new uniforms, then gets betrayed and becomes an outcast, My guess is they kill off some of the elite 4 during the betrayal red-wedding style (Ira and Nonon dying in a blaze of glory defending a broken Satsuki against her mother etc).

How it has to end..
Satsuki recovers the second blade but loses control fighting her mother, Ryoko shows up and put the blades together to defeat the mum. The Satsuki and Ryoko girl on girl scissoring action makes it the greatest episode in the history of anime.

Evilisk

Satsuki recovers the second blade but loses control fighting her mother, Ryoko shows up and put the blades together to defeat the mum. The Satsuki and Ryoko girl on girl scissoring action makes it the greatest episode in the history of anime.

Yeah that scene with
Berserk Ryuuko vs. Kamui Satsuki
is definitely going to be reversed at some point. I can already feel it happening.

NotLiquid

I got a different vibe from the ending. Like she was insulting her as it seemed she was so close to getting some answers because she beat 3 of the Elite 4, but then revealing that it had all been part of her plan all along. And she was going to have simply sit back, rest and watch the consequences.

That said I totally agree with the second part. I'm kind of sick everything going Satsuki's way. I was really hoping something would change with this episode but it seems they really want to stick with the status quo, for better or worse.

I always felt like the best way to raise the stakes in this particular point of time was "killing off" Senketsu with Ryuko getting caught in the fire, with her life on the line. Mako could do her thing and save her from death. Nui could have also ended up taken over Satsuki's regime, effectively leaving her out of commission. Both the protagonist and presumed antagonist would be left with nothing at this point, except their most loyal friends/subordinates who wouldn't be having any special powers to speak of at that point, leaving the possibility for an eventual team-up out of mutual benefit. Ryuko could take the path in learning how to quell her hot-bloodedness while Satsuki could learn some humility. That's just one of many possible scenarios though and I'm in no means a writer so who knows, maybe what they have will pay off but so far I'm not too hyped.

I think mostly I'm disappointed at just that - we've gone through the halfway period but no stakes have been raised at all. Any such that is brought up in any episode is instantly resolved or downplayed by the end of an episode. Satsuki still takes responsibility for Nui without remorse, leaving Nui as yet another overpowered subordinate character. If there was some sort of "my mom is a bitch" twist, Satsuki should have just laid her cards on the table. Hell in Gurren Lagann we got our first major shakeup by the seventh episode. Now it's all just looking to repeat itself, which is especially a bummer after seeing how great the Elite Four are as characters when not in their uniforms.

Odrion

Banned
I always felt like the best way to raise the stakes in this particular point of time was "killing off" Senketsu with Ryuko getting caught in the fire, with her life on the line. Mako could do her thing and save her from death. Nui could have also ended up taken over Satsuki's regime, effectively leaving her out of commission. Both the protagonist and presumed antagonist would be left with nothing at this point, except their most loyal friends/subordinates who wouldn't be having any special powers to speak of at that point, leaving the possibility for an eventual team-up out of mutual benefit. Ryuko could take the path in learning how to quell her hot-bloodedness while Satsuki could learn some humility. That's just one of many possible scenarios though and I'm in no means a writer so who knows, maybe what they have will pay off but so far I'm not too hyped.

I think mostly I'm disappointed at just that - we've gone through the halfway period but no stakes have been raised at all. Any such that is brought up in any episode is instantly resolved or downplayed by the end of an episode. Satsuki still takes responsibility for Nui without remorse, leaving Nui as yet another overpowered subordinate character. If there was some sort of "my mom is a bitch" twist, Satsuki should have just laid her cards on the table. Hell in Gurren Lagann we got our first major shakeup by the seventh episode. Now it's all just looking to repeat itself, which is especially a bummer after seeing how great the Elite Four are as characters when not in their uniforms.
Yeah, I totes agree. If there was going to be a shakeup we would've seen something by now. Hell, a hint even. It seems like the way things ended we're in the same situation as Ryuko. We expected something bigger, but nope, the person responsible was right in front of us.

Ryuko is going to be teaming up with Nudist Beach to foil Satsuki's Battle Field-Trip, and then once we learn the big revelations about how evil her mom is and how Ryuko gives a shit about the world now Ryuko will go after her.

Also I think Satsuki is going to be mother loyal all the way. To the point where near the end Satsuki will rematch Ryuko to try and regain some honor after her plans have been foiled. The mother will force Satsuki into going Berzerk as well, because she's the Mega Hitler.

Evilisk

Yeah it's really disappointing.

There were so many scenarios and ways that this episode could have played out (Mako dies, Satsuki dies, both die, Senketsu gets gimped etc.) but it seems Trigger opted for the safest way out which is a real shame.

I definitely agree that if there is more to this show than Ryuuko going after Satsuki, than the time should have been now to reveal that. I feel like it's going to bite them back in the ass later on; I mean come on, there's only 12 episodes left Trigger and we're still watching Ryuuko failing to look past Satsuki and see the bigger picture FFS

Charade

I would agree
that there was much more progression in the first half of GL. It's disappointing, but I don't think it's all bad, each just has a different dynamic going into their second halves. Looking back, Gurren Lagann had to play some catch up in the 2nd half by virtue of its time-skip (showing the world order, re-introducing characters, revealing the new threat, etc.). I feel KLK is much better poised to hit the ground running and get right into the action (as teased in the after-credits sequence). Whether that involves shaking things up, however, is anyone's guess...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not sure why people were expecting Lady Satsuki to change in her ways or attitudes considering
she has not been defeated in battle and everything is going according to her plans. She isn't Vegeta at this point, she is Aizen.

NotLiquid

Not sure why people were expecting Lady Satsuki to change in her ways or attitudes considering
she has not been defeated in battle and everything is going according to her plans. She isn't Vegeta at this point, she is Aizen.

Everything these last 12 weeks has been going according to her plan and its exactly why I feel the show is in desperate need for a shakeup. As it stands it feels like a never-ending sprint at this point, she even succeeds in sweeping a far more menacing villain under the rug.

7Th

The imagery surrounding Satsuki is inspired by Oda Nobunaga and Nazi Germany; I don't see an alliance between her and Ryuuko any time soon.

Top Bottom