• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The imagery surrounding Satsuki is inspired by Oda Nobunaga and Nazi Germany; I don't see an alliance between her and Ryuuko any time soon.

An alliance is not out of the question, in fact it probably will happen against some larger force maybe REVOCS, maybe Nudist Beach maybe even The Big 3. Satsuki is very practical after all. Expecting them to be friends, that is another story.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Probably not a good idea to fight the daughter of the boss.

which makes me think that if the mom stops supporting the daughter
(maybe because the mother profits from clothing sold to aid conflict, and a Japan unified by conquest stops that)
Nui may be the one to fulfill the role of
Akechi Mitsuhide (the killer of Oda Nobunaga in Honnouji, who worked for both Oda and the shogun)

Judging from what we saw, I wouldn't be surprised that Satsuki wants the Scissor Blades to go up against her Mum, which makes me wonder how much worse Revocs really is. Satsuki's just playing hard to get, or in Toku terms, she's acting like Kamen Rider Leangle right now. She just needs to get humbled and then go through a redemption arc with the help of her 4 buddies, then she can nab the other Scissor Blade from Nui to take on the Big Bad.

Yeah, that could happen. In fact I wouldnt mind.

rexor0717

Yeah that scene with
Berserk Ryuuko vs. Kamui Satsuki
is definitely going to be reversed at some point. I can already feel it happening.

Oh shit, it makes sense now. Nui was talking about hatred and love being the same coin. She still "hates" Satsuki, but she will learn in the moment when Satsuki needs her the most that she has loved her the entire time. Commence scissor things.

Oh shit, it makes sense now. Nui was talking about hatred and love being the same coin. She still "hates" Satsuki, but she will learn in the moment when Satsuki needs her the most that she has loved her the entire time. Commence scissor things.

EVuzJ7C.jpg

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Scissor action is why kill la kill has the GOAT fan service

rexor0717

I think there has been too much winking and nodding for them someone not to go full lesbian in this series. Its either Ryuko and Mako or Ryuko and Satsuki.

FluxWaveZ

I think there has been too much winking and nodding for them someone not to go full lesbian in this series. Its either Ryuko and Mako or Ryuko and Satsuki.

There won't be a romance subplot. Any winking and/or nodding is to fuel the people who are driven to ship characters together in their minds or make fanart of said shipping.

Not wanting to derail the thread but does anyone know where I could watch kill la kill in the uk? Looks ace bit haven't seen anyone say about uk viewing

daveo42

Banned

Why not all 3?

There won't be a romance subplot. Any winking and/or nodding is to fuel the people who are driven to ship characters together in their minds or make fanart of said shipping.

And fans who are into that can get their fill without it getting in the way of the overall story. At most, we could see fan service skew in this direction more, but there won't be anything in there as bad (or good based on preference) as what you'll get from the internet.

That was pretty good. I'm still unconvinced that
Nui was the one that killed Ryokos dad. The silhouette from the flashbacks looked way too different. Then again, he did slash her left eye out.

I'm gonna miss the Elite 4 just hanging around with Mako. Thought they would be cool allies in the future but guess not.

Something bad needs to happen to Satsuki. Theres gotta be a reason why she keeps Ryoko alive. If she wanted the scissor sword or the kamui, she can get it anytime she wants.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That was pretty good. I'm still unconvinced that
Nui was the one that killed Ryokos dad. The silhouette from the flashbacks looked way too different. Then again, he did slash her left eye out.

I'm gonna miss the Elite 4 just hanging around with Mako. Thought they would be cool allies in the future but guess not.

Something bad needs to happen to Satsuki. Theres gotta be a reason why she keeps Ryoko alive. If she wanted the scissor sword or the kamui, she can get it anytime she wants.

Satsuki doesn't kill and indeed leaves Ryuko unbounded because she has found her useful to her plans and it does not look like those have ended.

zeemumu

This whole ordeal reminds a bit of the first Pokemon game.

Congratulations! You beat the elite four! You're now the strongest...or you would be
if your father's killer hadn't just shown up.

Dresden

I didn't like berserk Ryuko - it reminded me of a monstar from Space Jam. Every iteration of her godsuit is uglier than the last.

JOwDFtj.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
I just want there to be some sort of change in the status quo. We're 12 episodes in and it feels the same as when we were 3 episodes in.

kiryogi

Banned
I always felt like the best way to raise the stakes in this particular point of time was "killing off" Senketsu with Ryuko getting caught in the fire, with her life on the line. Mako could do her thing and save her from death. Nui could have also ended up taken over Satsuki's regime, effectively leaving her out of commission. Both the protagonist and presumed antagonist would be left with nothing at this point, except their most loyal friends/subordinates who wouldn't be having any special powers to speak of at that point, leaving the possibility for an eventual team-up out of mutual benefit. Ryuko could take the path in learning how to quell her hot-bloodedness while Satsuki could learn some humility. That's just one of many possible scenarios though and I'm in no means a writer so who knows, maybe what they have will pay off but so far I'm not too hyped.

I think mostly I'm disappointed at just that - we've gone through the halfway period but no stakes have been raised at all. Any such that is brought up in any episode is instantly resolved or downplayed by the end of an episode. Satsuki still takes responsibility for Nui without remorse, leaving Nui as yet another overpowered subordinate character. If there was some sort of "my mom is a bitch" twist, Satsuki should have just laid her cards on the table. Hell in Gurren Lagann we got our first major shakeup by the seventh episode. Now it's all just looking to repeat itself, which is especially a bummer after seeing how great the Elite Four are as characters when not in their uniforms.

This is where I stand, expectations were not met, stakes are not risen. I'm still along for the ride, but I'm rather disappointed now.

I hope that eventually we'll just watch an episode and not go "But by episode X of TTGL Y had happened, so why isn't KLK doing the exact same thing?"

At this point, it's getting to be a bit much. Enjoy (or don't enjoy) the show for what it is.

7Th

Maybe Satsuki fixes her uniform, too? Mako was shown to be very strong, if she got serious, also her cartoon physics make her kinda immortal.

Unless Satsuki drops the social darwinism and world domination ambitions, she and Ryuuko/Mako won't ever team up. The story is pointing in the exact opposite direction.

Something bad needs to happen to Satsuki.

Junketsu is obviously going to take over Satsuki's body the moment she shows one bit of weakness; that's what the story is building up to. I hope it looks nothing like Berserk Ryuuko, tho; the situation should be completely different.

I just want there to be some sort of change in the status quo. We're 12 episodes in and it feels the same as when we were 3 episodes in.

Ryuuko will grow-up (next week [;_;] is definitely the "introspection" episode) and the story will leave Honnouji; there is a clear change in the status-quo.

Jarmel

Banned
I hope that eventually we'll just watch an episode and not go "But by episode X of TTGL Y had happened, so why isn't KLK doing the exact same thing?"

At this point, it's getting to be a bit much. Enjoy (or don't enjoy) the show for what it is.

People say that because the pacing of the first half of TTGL was fantastic. There were expectations going into this and I would say the show hasn't lived up to them. Yes the show is it's own beast but even judging it in isolation, we've been in a circling pattern for a number of episodes.

Chariot

Unless Satsuki drops the social darwinism and world domination ambitions, she and Ryuuko/Mako won't ever team up. The story is pointing in the exact opposite direction.
They don't have to. Satsuki is helping Ryuuko in her own way because it befits her. She saw more than once that Mako is not only important for Ryuuko, but can also keep her in check. She maybe think that she should further strenghen Mako to watch over Ryuuko while she keeps growing.
The big four are also relatively found of Mako. Three may think that she is annoying, but they didn't try to shoo her when she sat between them and did her thing. Gamagoori even respect her in someway.

7Th

For better or worse, Kazuki Nakashima confirmed on Twitter that the next arc is indeed the 襲学旅行 chapter so it's definitely going to involve
Ryuuko traveling to the west to clean up her mess and stop Satsuki's war of conquest.

They don't have to. Satsuki is helping Ryuuko in her own way because it befits her. She saw more than once that Mako is not only important for Ryuuko, but can also keep her in check. She maybe think that she should further strenghen Mako to watch over Ryuuko while she keeps growing.
The big four are also relatively found of Mako. Three may think that she is annoying, but they didn't try to shoo her when she sat between them and did her thing. Gamagoori even respect her in someway.

Yeah, but Ryuuko's motivation in the next episodes should be to specifically thwart Satsuki's plans. It would be dumb for them to pull the "I planned on you defeating my army" card again.

Odrion

Banned
The Elite Four like/tolerate Mako because she is awesome. :v

edit: I really hope the show becomes less about boob-filled action and a little more about the characters, every character in this show is potentially awesome but other than Gamagoori they're all pretty shallow. I think that's why I was predicting/hoping for more of a shakeup.

Top Bottom