• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Chariot

Yeah, but Ryuuko's motivation in the next episodes should be to specifically thwart Satsuki's plans. It would be dumb for them to pull the "I planned on you defeating my army" card again.
I dunno, Datsuki was so eager of provocing Ryuuko and then straight out telling her the next step. She definitly want Ryuuko to interfere. Maybe she want her to be faster then her, crush the schools resistance and then collecting the weakend schools easier.

Odrion

Banned
Maybe Satsuki provoked her and told her of her plans because she's a jerk villain and the plot needed Ryuko and the audience to know what's going to happen next? The real reason why Satsuki toys with Ryuko instead of expelling her or whatever is because she's a non-threat, at best a tool to manipulate to help her and her fascist plans.

Monster Ryuko
is going to haunt my nightmares, thx Trigger
Reminded me of:

birkin_2kzc62.jpg

7Th

I dunno, Datsuki was so eager of provocing Ryuuko and then straight out telling her the next step. She definitly want Ryuuko to interfere. Maybe she want her to be faster then her, crush the schools resistance and then collecting the weakend schools easier.

I think she just doesn't expect Ryuuko to actually be up to the task of beating her improved army; it would be much better for the story if Satsuki's plans were ruined because she counted on Ryuuko remaining holed up in her room depressed. If they've turned Ryuuko into the ultimate underdog is because they're building up to an actual feeling of accomplishent sooner rather than later.

7Th

It all makes sense now. What Kill la Kill has been building up to all along is as clear as day; Satsuki was never Hiter, she was Oda Nobunaga!

tumblr_my51weBEdT1r7c87xo1_1280.jpg

-In episode 5, it is said that only Kansai remains in opposition to Satsuki
-Kansai is home to Osaka, Kobe, and Kyoto, also refered to as “the big three” as they make up the second largest metropolitan area in Japan.
-Satsuki says she is going after “the big three” at the end of episode 12
-The Kansai region is where the warlord Oda Nobunaga was forced to commit Sudoku during the “HONNOUJI tncident”
-Honnouji Temple is in Kyoto

Evilisk

For better or worse, Kazuki Nakashima confirmed on Twitter that the next arc is indeed the 襲学旅行 chapter so it's definitely going to involve
Ryuuko traveling to the west to clean up her mess and stop Satsuki's war of conquest.

Let's hope they make good use of this arc. I'm expecting more world building and more minor characters that aren't just villain of the week material.

At best I'm hoping Ryuuko builds up her own army of delinquents/students and gets her own band of five (maybe one strong rep from each of the big 3 schools Satsuki is targettingz + Maiko or Mako) to oppose Satsuki. At the very very least I'm expecting Maiko to at least return if only for one episode.

If they can't at least get the latter right, I am going to lose all hope for this show's writing.

7Th

Let's hope they make good use of this arc. I'm expecting more world building and more minor characters that aren't just villain of the week material.

At best I'm hoping Ryuuko builds up her own army of delinquents/students and gets her own band of five (maybe one strong rep from each of the big 3 schools Satsuki is targettingz + Maiko or Mako) to oppose Satsuki. At the very very least I'm expecting Maiko to at least return if only for one episode.

If they can't at least get the latter right, I am going to lose all hope for this show's writing.

Maiko has her own page on the official site; there is hope.

cntr

Banned
One thing about Berserk Ryuko that was pointed out to me that I didn't notice before;
her horns are actually her teeth protruding through her skull.

Ninjimbo

So do I, but I would like to give it a shot.
For what it's worth, if you treat KLK with the frivolity of a cartoon, I think you'll find something to like about it. At least to me, it's been enjoyable seeing all the stuff the creators throw at you each week. I've been watching so many serious shows that KLK's silliness is more than welcome.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The last episode was interesting and at least shook up the status quo.

I really wish the place we're at right now took six to eight episodes to get to instead of twelve. There was way too much time spent on pointlessly dragged out, predictable battles. They were fun at times, but the freshness and energy from the beginning of the series was gone.
The Elite Four like/tolerate Mako because she is awesome. :v

edit: I really hope the show becomes less about boob-filled action and a little more about the characters, every character in this show is potentially awesome but other than Gamagoori they're all pretty shallow. I think that's why I was predicting/hoping for more of a shakeup.
Depth of characterisation is not a priority for Imaishi. It looks like it will improve in the next few episodes, but I'm not expecting much.

Akainu

Watched 8 and 9. Was a ok breather episode. But 9 was just crap. It's a shame to cause I like Ira. His fight deserved some justice but it was just lazy.
So do I, but I would like to give it a shot.

You should marathon hunter x hunter. It's better than everything.

TheOGB

Banned
how the hell do you fold a towel/sock/whatever to look like a cock 'n' balls?

45 second OST preview.

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/12503888/

Beautiful. ;-;
Hiroyuki Sawano is so hit AND miss with me. It's weird. When I was following Attack on Titan the soundtrack was fucking phenomenal, everything was creepy and epic and sombre, it just matched the show perfectly. Then I listened to the whole soundtrack by itself and... I still like it, but it seems like there's always one kinda weird aspect about it that makes it less enjoyable on its own.

Listening to these previews the same thing appears to be happening.

This show is terribly over-hyped; Cliched to hell and back. After the MOTW format was seemingly coming to an end I had hoped the real story would present itself, But nope - More costumes.

Not a speck of the greatness TTGL had. :(

kazebyaka

Banned
This show is terribly over-hyped; Cliched to hell and back. After the MOTW format was seemingly coming to an end I had hoped the real story would present itself, But nope - More costumes.

Not a speck of the greatness TTGL had. :(
ttgl was great first 8 episodes, complete bore-fest all others. Sorry, but KLK is just more fun to watch, even if it's not without problems.
If you want something new, fresh and unpredictable, try Samurai Flamenco.

ttgl was great first 8 episodes, complete bore-fest all others. Sorry, but KLK is just more fun to watch, even if it's not without problems.

How is KLK more fun to watch when it's no better than the gazillion other shounen tripe anime out there?

It doesn't do anything in a creative way, Nor does it have any redeeming characters.

At best, KLK should have been 12 episodes and not a dragged out mess. There has been negligible story progress thus far.

Vito

Banned
This is really starting to annoy me. No, Kill la Kill is not Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, big surprise there. Weekly battles? That's one of the show's original concepts.

But hey, keep on bitching, or you know, stop watching the show? It sure as hell isn't flawless but it's a ton of fun which is kinda apparent from most comments.

kazebyaka

Banned
How is KLK more fun to watch when it's no better than the gazillion other shounen tripe anime out there?

It doesn't do anything in a creative way, Nor does it have any redeeming characters.

At best, KLK should have been 12 episodes and not a dragged out mess. There has been negligible story progress thus far.

Anime doesn't have to be better than everything else to be good, you know. It looks interesting, sounds good and battles are amazing. And it's pretty funny. What else do you want?

Jintor

The battles do a lot with very limited animation.

It's kinda funny, you close your eyes and it SOUNDS like an amazing fight, but you open your eyes and it's like a gif's worth of animation

You know, I'm 12 episodes in and I'm committed to the series now, I think it's a riot, but the absolute boobs-out stupidity of the costumes still bothers me. I mean, it's not just that they're incredibly demeaning or whatever and they tried to fob it off with a 'IT JUST SHOWS YOU DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF YOU' excuse. It's that they just look flat-out idiotic. Satsuki's uniform looks fucking baller everywhere except for her goddamn torso and crotch.

//edit, also, assuming the flashback was real, old man Matoi was a BAMF

Evilisk

Anime doesn't have to be better than everything else to be good, you know. It looks interesting, sounds good and battles are amazing. And it's pretty funny. What else do you want?
I really wouldn't say the battles are amazing. Most "fights" in this show are 90% curbstomps with the remaining 10% being Ryuuko suddenly overpowering and one shotting opponents

Even Fairy Tail has better fights, I really can't agree with the fights in this show being a strong point other than some of them being animated well

I kind of agree though I liked seeing Simon's growth and I liked the serial escalation in the second cour

Also yes I second the SamFlam recommendation. That is one ballsy show

This is really starting to annoy me. No, Kill la Kill is not Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, big surprise there. Weekly battles? That's one of the show's original concepts.

But hey, keep on bitching, or you know, stop watching the show? It sure as hell isn't flawless but it's a ton of fun which is kinda apparent from most comments.
KLK isn't TTGL of course. But for a show that shares several minds as well as themes as the latter, you can't NOT draw comparisons

Nachos

The battles do a lot with very limited animation.

It's kinda funny, you close your eyes and it SOUNDS like an amazing fight, but you open your eyes and it's like a gif's worth of animation

You know, I'm 12 episodes in and I'm committed to the series now, I think it's a riot, but the absolute boobs-out stupidity of the costumes still bothers me. I mean, it's not just that they're incredibly demeaning or whatever and they tried to fob it off with a 'IT JUST SHOWS YOU DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF YOU' excuse. It's that they just look flat-out idiotic. Satsuki's uniform looks fucking baller everywhere except for her goddamn torso and crotch.

//edit, also, assuming the flashback was real, old man Matoi was a BAMF

Agreed. I've started to ignore the outfits for what they are, but the chances of the clothes becoming more "fully-formed" dwindle with each passing episode. As for the animation, I knew I should have realized that their options would be more limited due to having comparatively fewer resources, so like you said, I'm impressed with what they can do with so many production roadblocks seemingly in the way.

NotLiquid

TTGL is a fair comparison in my opinion because I know Imaishi can do better, and it's the first time since then he's directing something that actually has a bigger story and lore to it.

Most people got into TTGL because of the promise of completely crazy action, and while it certainly delivered on that because of the Gainax-sized budget, what personally drew me into it was that it wasn't just the action. There was a true sense of character development, dilemmas and a story that added so much context that ended up justifying the insane scenarios. Shit, I'm not even embarrassed to admit that some moments in the series, particularly Episode 26, almost had me shed some tears.

Even if you don't compare it to TTGL I feel like the show has taken too long to develop the characters or just raise any stakes. After the first three episodes you might as well skip ahead to the Fight Club episode and start from there. I like Kill La Kill and I've already accepted a lot of the show's logic, but I honestly feel like it's unfair of you to trivialize complaints as "bitching". I criticize it because I like it and I feel like it could be so much better than what it is, since everything about it shows a truckload of potential. The personalities are what I like best about the show, but they're mostly just that and haven't really changed that much, with Mako ironically being the only one who's really developed throughout these episodes. They do what they can with the limited budget for the action scenes but the setups end up rather predictable.

LeleSocho

Banned
Imho the budget does not limit only the action scenes, i'm sure that if they had more money the episodes would be richer in content in general.
Which is essentially were the problems with this anime are aside with the last episode and ep 3 (or it was 4) that are full of action the other 10 could be easily compressed in 5-6 leaving room for more stuff later.

Somnid

I'm sure if KLK does well they'll be able to split it into 2 movies and have a budget to redo some scenes. Seems like the trend these days.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I have been saying for awhile now that the shadow of Tengan Toppa has been looming too large over this production, but yea, it is absolutely fair to compare and contrast these two, especially when some of the theories out there, like this is the female version of Tengan Toppa.

duckroll

I think the issue is less of people wanting to compare the show with Gurren, but rather that it was an integral part of the entire marketing process. The main reason lots of people were attracted to the show to begin with was because it was "by the creators of Gurren Lagann" and that fact was a huge selling point on the show before it started. Even in the interviews, both the director and writer were happily using their prior project as a example of the sort of characters and "hot blooded action" to expect from the new show.

Can't blame people for associating the two shows with one another when it's basically what the people who made the show did in the first place!

Top Bottom