• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

7Th

The next arc is basically going to be Sengoku Basara with high-schools; that should be pretty Gurren-Lagann-like.

duckroll

The next arc is basically going to be Sengoku Basara with high-schools; that should be pretty Gurren-Lagann-like.

I thought most of the Basara stuff already happened in the background. Isn't this just going to be the endgame of the "conquest"?

7Th

I thought most of the Basara stuff already happened in the background. Isn't this just going to be the endgame of the "conquest"?

The endgame that takes place in Kyoto ends in Oda's ultimate defeat, tho. It should at least feature one relatively large scale battle...
even if I'm sure they will fill with with CG minions.

What the next arc should do is stop dragging out Ryuuko actually meeting-up with Nudist Beach; them having their HQ in Kobe or Osaka would be the perfect way to get them in the story.

LeleSocho

Banned
I think the issue is less of people wanting to compare the show with Gurren, but rather that it was an integral part of the entire marketing process. The main reason lots of people were attracted to the show to begin with was because it was "by the creators of Gurren Lagann" and that fact was a huge selling point on the show before it started. Even in the interviews, both the director and writer were happily using their prior project as a example of the sort of characters and "hot blooded action" to expect from the new show.

Can't blame people for associating the two shows with one another when it's basically what the people who made the show did in the first place!

Yep, it's essentially the only i started watching KLK, nowadays i only watch 2-3 series per year and i was very torn because of the amount of fanservice (in fact i started watching it late) but given the people working on it and the whole "SAVING THE INDUSTRY" people spouted at the beginning at the end i started it and now i'm kind of disappointed :/

Essay

I personally started watching Kill La Kill in spite of disliking Gurren Lagann (or, really, any other anime I've given a chance in recent memory). What makes KLK so enjoyable for me is its cheeky satire of a form that I feel was growing stale and self-indulgent. In my eyes, it's doing the same thing that the equally-episodic Don Quixote did 400 years earlier: lampooning a genre riddled by escapist fantasy by showing up the absurdity of its tropes and techniques—and it's doing it while still bringing something uniquely campy to the table week in and week out. That's at least how it hooked this former anime fan who almost gave up on the "industry".

I personally started watching Kill La Kill in spite of disliking Gurren Lagann (or, really, any other anime I've given a chance in recent memory). What makes KLK so enjoyable for me is its cheeky satire of a form that I feel was growing stale and self-indulgent. In my eyes, it's doing the same thing that the equally-episodic Don Quixote did 400 years earlier: lampooning a genre riddled by escapist fantasy by showing up the absurdity of its tropes and techniques—and it's doing it while still bringing something uniquely campy to the table week in and week out. That's at least how it hooked this former anime fan who almost gave up on the "industry".

Wow never thought someone would compare Kill la Kill to Don Quixote, and here we are. And you know what? you are right on everything.

Although not entirely obvious, this is an amazing comparison.

Cheers mate

Kieli

Even though I knew Mako was coming to save the day, I still fucking hated that it happened.

Mako is annoying as hell, and I certainly don't enjoy her being a deus ex machina.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Even though I knew Mako was coming to save the day, I still fucking hated that it happened.

Mako is annoying as hell, and I certainly don't enjoy her being a deus ex machina.

That was not Deus Ex Machina, that was an affirmation of the bonds forged through the first half of the series being strong enough to stop the rampage, which is fairly common trope on its own.

Kieli

That was not Deus Ex Machina, that was an affirmation of the bonds forged through the first half of the series being strong enough to stop the rampage, which is fairly common trope on its own.

I looked up the definition of deus ex machina, and you are right. I used that term incorrectly.

I still don't like the convenience of Mako being there. I was happy when Nui was about to intervene, until Satsuki stopped her...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I looked up the definition of deus ex machina, and you are right. I used that term incorrectly.

I still don't like the convenience of Mako being there. I was happy when Nui was about to intervene, until Satsuki stopped her...

Not sure if I follow since Mako has always been there unless this is treated to your larger Mako hatred.

TheOGB

Banned
tumblr_my8ftgnUZp1qfigmbo1_1280.jpg
The colors feel so right

Ezalc

I still like TTGL more than this, but this anime is amazing regardless. Next year we have this finishing off, Space Dandy and at one point more Jojo. It's going to be glorious.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

Uh, it was set up two episodes before.

Beowulf28

So I just watched the first three episodes of this show and....I don't know. I dig the action and over the top nature of it but the fanservice just feels sleezy and really takes me out of it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So I just watched the first three episodes of this show and....I don't know. I dig the action and over the top nature of it but the fanservice just feels sleezy and really takes me out of it.

At this point the only resources are to adjust to it or drop the show because the fanservice is not going anywhere.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

It's jarring at first but you eventually get used to it.

how the hell do you fold a towel/sock/whatever to look like a cock 'n' balls?

Hiroyuki Sawano is so hit AND miss with me. It's weird. When I was following Attack on Titan the soundtrack was fucking phenomenal, everything was creepy and epic and sombre, it just matched the show perfectly. Then I listened to the whole soundtrack by itself and... I still like it, but it seems like there's always one kinda weird aspect about it that makes it less enjoyable on its own.

Listening to these previews the same thing appears to be happening.

Same thing here which makes me overly concerned about X's soundtrack lol.

Well, what's done is done. Wondering how the 3-star uniforms would be upgraded.

wonzo

Banned
killlakill12.jpg

The flashback and Mako redeemed this episode. I just wish Nudist Beach would just finally spell shit out to Ryuuko.

For better or worse, Kazuki Nakashima confirmed on Twitter that the next arc is indeed the 襲学旅行 chapter so it's definitely going to involve
Ryuuko traveling to the west to clean up her mess and stop Satsuki's war of conquest.
show saved. rip klk ken

mjontrix

That seems to imply
Mopey Matoi won't last an episode and a half like Sorrowful Simon.

Yep!

And by the looks of it I'm guessing
There's different producers of Ultima/Goku Uniforms by the different schools; all based on some sort of Core design from Revocs Corporation, makes sense since we've learned that there are different family branches.

7Th

The preview pretty much tells you the entire plot of the episode, but I guess it couldn't not be straightforward; it's obviously going to be
Ryuuko starting to fight for selfless reasons rather than selfish reason; after all, she is protecting the kid with the glasses from Satsuki's minions.

And by the looks of it I'm guessing
There's different producers of Ultima/Goku Uniforms by the different schools; all based on some sort of Core design from Revocs Corporation, makes sense since we've learned that there are different family branches.

Nah, I'm sure those guys
are wearing the upgraded versions Satsuki said were just completed.

No, they didn't. They make cryptic comments and expect her to work for them no questions asked.

I don't think they ever asked her to work for them, did they? Needle gun man certainly didn't, and the sexy teacher just keeps warning her about dangers she might not see at first.

Unless i'm forgetting something.

My opinion on this show did a complete 180. The first episode was absolute garbage, and so I decided not to give the rest of the series a chance and deemed it utter crap.

But having given it a chance (now on episode 11), holy fucking shit this show is good. I'm completely over how ridiculously fanservicy Ryuko's outfit is. Also glad that the male characters get some fanservice moments too.

but they actually did spell things out for her, and she didnt even listen

If they have, they must have done it during episode 11 or 12. Because they certainly haven't told her shit in the first 10 fucking episodes.

jman2050

As I've said before, there are two types of people in this world: People who like Mako and all those other losers!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
My opinion on this show did a complete 180. The first episode was absolute garbage, and so I decided not to give the rest of the series a chance and deemed it utter crap.

But having given it a chance (now on episode 11), holy fucking shit this show is good. I'm completely over how ridiculously fanservicy Ryuko's outfit is. Also glad that the male characters get some fanservice moments too.

If they have, they must have done it during episode 11 or 12. Because they certainly haven't told her shit in the first 10 fucking episodes.

stupid sexy sensei said what their plan was and ryuko was like "bullshit tell me the real reason!" and then when she left he commented to himself that he actually did tell her the truth.

7Th

stupid sexy sensei said what their plan was and ryuko was like "bullshit tell me the real reason!" and then when she left he commented to himself that he actually did tell her the truth.

He didn't tell her his plan, he told her his organization was called Nudist Beach. He was lying by saying that Tsumugu going after her was perfectly calculated so she was right to call him on his bullshit.

Top Bottom