• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I got the impression Ryuuko didn't care much for Satsuki's confession; her response was pretty matter of fact-ish and didn't get particularly mad until she realized she had been used. Still, the end of the episode felt a little weird considering the preview for episode 13 specifically mentions that Ryuuko is doubting herself and hesitates to use Senketsu again.

It could be the intervening time in between her reawakening and that conversation with Satsuki, after all, the mentioned it had been a few days transpiration.

Before my body is dry

lwU2311.png

Guess Who

Banned
My favorite part of the OST is the hidden track at the end - it starts out with the Before My Body Is Dry guitar riff, but then there's a ten-minute long jazz flute solo. Then you hear Ryuko and Satsuki arguing about something? And then there's an epic guitar solo battle. The end part is kind of weird though, it's just five minutes of squishy noises and then what sounds like Ryuko and Satsuki orgasming as the track fades out. I don't know what they were going for there...?

Wait, shit, music spoilers sorry guys

sonicmj1

Mako showed a lot of character growth in episode 7 and it was payed off in episode 12, I really do think that the Mako-Ryuko bond has been one of the high points of the series.

I like Mako's relationship with Ryuuko, but (even after all the family-related stuff in 7), I feel like I have a much stronger sense of Mako's investment in the relationship than vice versa. I know why Ryuuko values the familiarity of the Manshoku household, but I wish I had a better sense of how Mako's presence stabilizes her mood.

It feels weird to say this given how much information was usually packed into any given episode, but it still feels like a lot of characters wound up underdeveloped. I think it would have made a big difference if the Elite Four were more strongly defined with their own philosophies and views. Everyone exists in such thrall to Satsuki, and Ryuuko's opposition to her is so simplistic and petty, that it's hard to get texture for them and for our protagonist. Uzu and Gamagoori feel more human than the other two, but their development takes more time because Ryuuko's confrontations with them are just power versus power, arranged more or less arbitrarily.

A strong second half could make these points less meaningful, but I feel like the show squandered some of its potential, especially in the middle stages.

The episode sets up the sophisticated Mako as something unnatural and out or order, though. It's all reversed by the end. I can see what you're saying with that second sentence, but for me, it seemed more of a regression than anything else.

Mako is pretty much the typical anime airhead character; Hardly compelling or interesting. Her friendship with the Ryoki isn't anything to write home about either.

FluxWaveZ

Mako is pretty much the typical anime airhead character; Hardly compelling or interesting. Her friendship with the Ryoki isn't anything to write home about either.

This is why episode 7 was such a great subversion of that trope with her Fight Club transformation. But like everything else, her character returned to the status quo.

Episode 5-7 is where I came around to liking the series, but since then it hasn't been as hot as I wish it had been going from those episodes.

PK Gaming

My favorite part of the OST is the hidden track at the end - it starts out with the Before My Body Is Dry guitar riff, but then there's a ten-minute long jazz flute solo. Then you hear Ryuko and Satsuki arguing about something? And then there's an epic guitar solo battle. The end part is kind of weird though, it's just five minutes of squishy noises and then what sounds like Ryuko and Satsuki orgasming as the track fades out. I don't know what they were going for there...?

Wait, shit, music spoilers sorry guys

HnQbz79.gif

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Wow.... so I walk away from this thread for a day or two and it's filled with weird hate for the series and squishy sex sounds from the OST...

Whelp, I'm still stoked for the second half, so whatever.

Kieli

Wow.... so I walk away from this thread for a day or two and it's filled with weird hate for the series and squishy sex sounds from the OST...

Whelp, I'm still stoked for the second half, so whatever.

I don't think it's so much hate as we are discussing how a good series could be even better.

Moonlight

Banned
This album suffers from the same problem I've noticed for virtually every Sawano soundtrack that I've listened to, and that's tons of the individual songs that feel like two or three other songs clumsily mashed together. Almost structured like a video game soundtrack or something.

Blumenkranz is pretty good, not as good as I was hoping but I guess I should have expected that.

Jarmel

Banned
This album suffers from the same problem I've noticed for virtually every Sawano soundtrack that I've listened to, and that's tons of the individual songs that feel like two or three other songs clumsily mashed together. Almost structured like a video game soundtrack or something.

Pretty much. It's definitely similar to the Shingeki OST in that regard and it's kinda annoying.

Speaking of, I'm finding this a much weaker OST compared to Shingeki.

Hmm, sure. The show can't handle drama, it's poorly paced, and after twelve episodes it's like . . . none of the characters are developed much outside of Satsuki.

You really think Satsuki is developed? There's been a bunch of vague hinting at her motivations prior to ep 12 where we get a better idea, but none of that has really furthered the little we know about her. I would say Ryuko, despite having mostly static development, has cemented herself as much more of a character just by having more screen time, clear motivations and an established personality.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You really think Satsuki is developed? There's been a bunch of vague hinting at her motivations prior to ep 12 where we get a better idea, but none of that has really furthered the little we know about her. I would say Ryuko, despite having mostly static development, has cemented herself as much more of a character just by having more screen, clear motivations and an established personality.

We are lacking insight into the character of Satsuki st this point.

cntr

Banned
I hope the next 2 weeks of no KLK will not be an endless conversation about how the first half could've been better.

Edit: The OST's pretty alright incidentally.

7Th

The thing with Satsuki is that there are only two ways to to properly give her screentime: either stick to the Oda Nobunaga thing to the very end or turn her into Isako from Dennou Coil.

7Th

About the whole "spoilers" in the OST stuff... you can actually read some into the lyrics of two tracks:
15 and 18; 15 sounds like Junketsu's theme and 18 sounds like Senketsu saying goodbye to Ryuuko before dying.

Top Bottom