• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Kinyou

Wha- wha- what is happening

6c27e51ea9ff026ac0de6uvklt.png

They've been doing it with english for all of these years. It's about time another language got the treatment
lol, fair enough

PK Gaming

Speaking of Sanageyama , I love how he uses Satsuki's past self as a baseline for fighting ability.

Ryuko: Hey, how strong am I now?
Sanageyama: You're about as good as Satsuki was 2 years and 3 months into her high school life.
Ryuko: When was that exactly?
Sanageyama: 3 days before she joined the track team, but a week after she got a perfect score on her math midterm.

KidDork

I'm happy with the character of Ryuko because she serves her purpose as being the centre of the show, a solid base from which we can experience this world. She hasn't changed a Iot, granted, but I'm not sure Kill La Kill is a show about character development anymore than a Bugs Bunny cartoon is about character development. I see this show as being about the viewer discovering a world, seeing ridiculous things, moving at stupefying speeds, with characters quickly sketched because they're not really the point. This is Trigger taking us on an amusement park ride.

Just my thoughts.

Finalow

I liked the episode, but the show drags its heels again at the end, tossing all the tension and sense of escalation it had built up out the window.
yep, I felt the same. in the end I was like "come on kill someoneGGGHH". they didn't even use the special bullet.
still, good one, ready for more.

TheOGB

Banned
So I had an interesting random thought earlier and now I'm wondering who would make a good cast for an English dub.

The thought was Chris Sabat Gamagoori

jman2050

All I'll say on the whole "character development" thing is that I feel you only need as much information about the characters as is needed for the narrative to function. Anything more is welcome of course but ultimately superfluous if the story doesn't demand it.

Andrew J.

Me in the morning: Man, these new "Before my Body is Dry" lyrics are dumb.

Me right now: I gotta find out who killed my Da'
I hear the voice of you in my mind~

Dresden

Anything more is welcome of course but ultimately superfluous if the story doesn't demand it.

But that's the thing, right? Ryuko is such a blank that there's nothing to care about regarding her character or her quest. The revenge plot is something the viewer is never invested in and even that has been shuffled aside to set up the school battle trip, where she'll go off and save the other schools or Japan or the fucking world. The motivation for the conflict becomes externalized to include others, and yet there's never any reason to care for them either, just like how the vengeance motive was never more than just window dressing. We've shifted from one goal to another and this second goal is as nebulous and aimless as the first.

tl;dr version: more mako pls

LordCanti

But that's the thing, right? Ryuko is such a blank that there's nothing to care about regarding her character or her quest. The revenge plot is something the viewer is never invested in and even that has been shuffled aside to set up the school battle trip, where she'll go off and save the other schools or Japan or the fucking world. The motivation for the conflict becomes externalized to include others, and yet there's never any reason to care for them either, just like how the vengeance motive was never more than just window dressing. We've shifted from one goal to another and this second goal is as nebulous and aimless as the first.

The one constant is that Ryuko loves her Mako, and Mako loves her Ryuko. That's all you need.

Ryuko needs to die to give the one true protagonist (Mako) a reason to Row Row Fight The Power.

7Th

But that's the thing, right? Ryuko is such a blank that there's nothing to care about regarding her character or her quest.

What? Ryuuko is anything but a blank state; she is so clearly defined it's more predictable than anything else.

The revenge plot is something the viewer is never invested in and even that has been shuffled aside to set up the school battle trip, where she'll go off and save the other schools or Japan or the fucking world. The motivation for the conflict becomes externalized to include others, and yet there's never any reason to care for them either, just like how the vengeance motive was never more than just window dressing.

The goal was never revenge; turning the story into a revenge plot was portrayed as something negative by the story; Ryuuko wasn't even driven by righteous anger, she was relatively apathetic to the whole ordeal and the story pretty clearly addressed her lack of a strong conviction. They just decided to structure her character arc that way; despite everything else, Kill la Kill is still a show about high-school life and Ryuuko is just teenager that hasn't considered what she is going to do with her life or what wearing Senketsu actually implies. Her teenage-ness has been evident since episode 3 when she stated that Satsuki's adult talk about being ambitious pisses her off.

We've shifted from one goal to another and this second goal is as nebulous and aimless as the first.

What's her second goal? I mean, I agree that it's currently nebulous and aimless... because the show hasn't even made it clear it yet. The end of episode 12 hinted at it, but we haven't even shifted to it. Hell, they aren't even jumping straight to the big war, they're reducing Ryuuko to the ultimate underdog by making her doubt if
she even deserves to wear Senketsu.
If we're going to make assumptions, why not make the assumptions that they will spend episodes properly developing Ryuuko's character arc as she starts caring about what is going on around her, confronts Nudist Beach and (inevitably) rematches Sanageyama?

I mean, the scenario they choose makes sense;
her apathy helped Satsuki complete her army and her total disregard for the bigger plot regarding Senketsu turned her into a monster and almost ends with her death. Her flaws are being portrayed as flaws and she is being forced to confront them head on. Maybe it could be argued that used-up a relatively large amount of episodes for the first arc, but other than that...

If the CD is $30, the Blu-Ray set is going to be innnnnnsaneeeeeeeeeeeeee.

That's the standard price for most OSTs in Japan. Have you never imported before? Also, with this being from Aniplex the Blu-rays are going to be quite pricey if we are lucky enough to even get Blu-rays from them.

LordCanti

That's the standard price for most OSTs in Japan. Have you never imported before? Also, with this being from Aniplex the Blu-rays are going to be quite pricey if we are lucky enough to even get Blu-rays from them.

I was mostly making an Aniplex joke.

No Ryuko and Mako under the mistletoe? That is kind of disparaging, anyway, Merry Christmas Kill la Kill.

The fanart seems to focus more on Satsuki jamming things into Gama-chan. The president of the Tennis Club also has this weird following with fan artists imagining what happened to her after her defeat. It's uhh....she's been having a rough go of it.

Man, I would have bought the TTGL blu-ray set if it wasn't, you know, $500.

Dresden

The goal was never revenge;
Uh, okay.
Ryuuko wasn't even driven by righteous anger, she was relatively apathetic to the whole ordeal and the story pretty clearly addressed her lack of a strong conviction.
She was full of 'righteous anger,' it was just in service of her own goals. Her apathy to the ordeal of the masses is going to change, obviously, but if the show fails to develop anything out of a limited cast of characters, a generalized whole as the motivation isn't going to help.
What's her second goal? I mean, I agree that it's currently nebulous and aimless... because the show hasn't even made it clear it yet. The end of episode 12 hinted at it, but we haven't even shifted to it.
It's almost like it's predictable.
If we're going to make assumptions, why not make the assumptions that they will spend episodes properly developing Ryuuko's character arc
We've had 12 episodes. Your defense of the show always ends up revolving around what could be rather than what is. If we're going to make assumptions, my assumption is that it's going to have pacing issues again and there will be a somewhat limp ending to wrap things up. In the end, I'll have fond memories but a lowered opinion of the series as a whole, having enjoyed it, but finding it forgettable.

If you want to continue this conversation, send me a pm. I'm ruining this thread.

LordCanti

The goal was to find out who killed him and to take revenge on that person. That goal never wavers, mostly because Stupid Sexy Sensei won't tell her what the fuck is going on and give her another motivation. I'd hope that changes in the next episode but who knows; Nudist Beach may have decided that she's too dangerous to clue in.

7Th

I answered in PM, I'll just say this: you didn't directly address what I said and the new character is literally called Tears of Truth.

TheOGB

Banned
Blumenkranz is great. goriLLA JaL started off entertaining in one way, then did that weird Sawano thing, then got interesting again (I thought I was listening to a different song). Suck your blood is... wat.

LordCanti

Finally found the OST on Youtube;

Don't Lose Your Way turns into English rap. That'll be interesting if they fit it in the show somewhere.

Alfebit

Banned
Finally found the OST on Youtube;

Don't Lose Your Way turns into English rap. That'll be interesting if they fit it in the show somewhere.

Mind sending me a link? I only found a guy who uploaded tracks 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 10. :/

Edit: oh wait I found it never mind.

Right Stuf is going to be selling the Kill la Kill OST through Aniplex USA.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/cSG-OXC28ZoJpZGX43/browse/item/101035/4/0/0

I felt bad for a second, but considering it probably cost me around $5 more to get it from Amazon Japan shipped, and I'll likely have it in my hand tomorrow as opposed to January (which is still crazy to me that something released in Japan will be delivered that quickly), I don't think I made the wrong call.

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUyBFPGAsGs

God bless America.

#TeamSatsuki should be renamed #TeamSatsookee after this video.

If had the power, I'd rename the thread "Kill La Kill: The Evangelion of Anime" too.

ZoddGutts

Pretty spot on. I only care for is Mako, couldn't care less about Ryuko's whatever revenge plotline.

Track names that need to change to fit in with the rest of the OST.

Before my body is dry → b四 muh boD iz Dr. 目
Blumenkranz → blew men cran ゼット
Suck your blood → サック EUR ブラっ度 
Light your heart up → lite EUR 心↑ 
I want to know → 目want2脳 
Till I die → 散る i 大

Air

Banned
We are lacking insight into the character of Satsuki st this point.

This is correct, but that doesn't remedy the fact that she's been this way for so long. You can easily have her show different emotions in an episode besides two (stern/angry face, maybe a giggle). She's literally a two note character at this point and it's poor story telling that it's lasted so long IMO. I'd love a different emotion from her as I think that's imperative for her character growth, but this is literally the first character I created when I was 12. She has all the answers, is super beautiful, super powerful, everybody likes her, etc. she's not human and it's boring.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This is correct, but that doesn't remedy the fact that she's been this way for so long. You can easily have her show different emotions in an episode besides two (stern/angry face, maybe a giggle). She's literally a two note character at this point and it's poor story telling that it's lasted so long IMO. I'd love a different emotion from her as I think that's imperative for her character growth, but this is literally the first character I created when I was 12. She has all the answers, is super beautiful, super powerful, everybody likes her, etc. she's not human and it's boring.

The big card we need to have played on Satsuki is the why card. We know her motives and goals and how long she has had them but we don't know why she holds the worldview that she does, and I think that is all tied into her parents.

Top Bottom