• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Air

Banned
The big card we need to have played on Satsuki is the why card. We know her motives and goals and how long she has had them but we don't know why she holds the worldview that she does, and I think that is all tied into her parents.

I agree. I hope we can find out sooner rather than later though.

so question:

how was ryuko supposed to support herself when she got to the academy?

why does she like raw lemons?

what are her grades like?

Azure J

FInally posting in Kill La Kill-GAF to say that I really love this series. I just got to hear the OST myself and damn while I'm loving "Before my body turns dry" and the tune for "Blumenkrantz", I really love "Kill a Kill". Harime's intro with that in the background was really good.

As for the series, I'm honestly so surprised at how entertained and engrossed I got in it given how it was being viewed pre-release. It has just the right amount of quirk, self awareness and character to be easy to digest but somehow I feel like every week makes me think "I need the next episode" immediately afterwards.

TCKaos

This video contains content from FOX, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Fair use is so much fun, isn't it?

On that note, not only did I not receive any notification that it has been blocked, but if I'm signed in to my account I can still watch the video.

Huh.

Attempting to fight insomnia last night, I watched the first episode of this on Crunchyroll on my PS4 out of curiosity.

Why is this not a video game yet?

I don't think that Ryuko can pull out beast mode whenever she wants. That seemed like a last ditch effort and it wasn't even on purpose. She didn't even do it when she was fighting Satsuki.

I don't either, but now that she's done it once, the potential is there. We really don't know much about it other than the fact she can do it.

rexor0717

I don't either, but now that she's done it once, the potential is there. We really don't know much about it other than the fact she can do it.

Maybe to unlock the full power of Senketsu she will have to get her blood boiling but not lose herself
her way
to its power.

Giolon

My KLK Scissor paper knife arrived today!

KLKScissor.jpg

I don't think that Ryuko can pull out beast mode whenever she wants. That seemed like a last ditch effort and it wasn't even on purpose. She didn't even do it when she was fighting Satsuki.

Mako being unable to beat Ryuko has nothing to do with beast mode and everything to do with Senketsu absorbing tons of 3 star uniform Banshi. It is getting stronger with every win.

Silky

Banned
tumblr_mwwwvp7S4g1r8haklo1_500.jpg

Rival Schools x KLK made me realize that this entire anime reminds me of Rival Schools.

Maybe it's because Uzu voices Batsu

Kazzy

Seeing as I've been woefully inept at remaining current, I instead decided to postpone my plans to watch this until there was a decent of material to work through. Now's that time, and here are my impressions to go along with it!

---------------------------------

Full of bluster and bombast, there is definitely much that I find enjoyable about the show. Though, having only watched it recently, I find myself removed from the zeitgeist – knowing that this was a show that (initially) carried a great deal of hype, but not quite knowing whether that managed to persist. Now, having watched the first 12 episodes that form the first half of this tale – I find myself satisfied with what I’ve seen, if not entirely besotted.

The, shall we say, more lurid aspects of the presentation certainly rankle with me. There’s no hiding away from the fact that the fanservice is pervasive. Which is a curiousity unto itself, seeing as it is such a core aspect of Kill la Kill’s identity - for better or worse. Flagrant and excessive, even as a narrative crutch, I don't accept it as a conceit that empowers females, no. So long as each of these cuts is permeated by the pervasive leeriness that has been present from the very first episode, it will continue to detract.

Stylistically, it's clearly something that is considered, and in that regard, I can respect the clarity of vision. The narrative - from the action, all the way down to the comedy, is almost exclusively dictated by what (and how much) skin is on show. Traditionally portrayed as a particular character quirk, this mentality instead seems to permeate the entire world view of Kill la Kill. It's not so much if a individual character is overtly sexual or not, but rather how they react to it. The dichotomy of which is relatively one-note within the show. It only ever seems able to flitter between arousal and embarrassment.

The seriousness by which it treats all this is akin to a child opening a thesaurus and seeing how many different ways they can describe the female anatomy, giggling all the while. There’s no nuance, no subtly, but that admittedly isn't the intent of Kill la Kill. But if what you're left with carries some boorish undertones, is really all that admirable?

The style of the show is something which I (obviously) feel conflicted about, and this extends to the animation itself. The ramshackle nature of its presentation is quite charming, but the tendency to lean on the use of sporadic character movement does become a bit too much on times. It veers a later too much into feeling like it's a shortcut (because it is), which begins to pull the curtain back a little more than I'd like. Don’t let me conflate things, because this show does have the ability to look really good – it just seems content to only occasionally remind us of that fact.

A lot of these aspects are supplementary to the overall experience, or at least to a degree that they don't necessarily supplant the more positive aspects. Which I guess brings me to my biggest problem – the characters. It’s not so much the characterization of the cast that I have a problem with, more that they don't really have any to speak of. Even in a show that is ostensibly about the action, you still want that human element to be tangible.

An antagonist should be a foil. Basically something for our protagonist to clash against, but here we have an individual, Satsuki, who is largely ambivalent to the whole affair. The conflict exists as individuals who are on opposing sides, not necessarily a clash of personality, nor ideals (at least, mutually). It very much feels like a situation that exists within the context of being a show. It feels like an obligation - something that each protracted showdown between her and Ryuuko just exacerbates. The conceit of their conflict (and by extension, the whole narrative), ultimately, just doesn't feel all that substantive.

Even as a satellite character, it’s difficult to accept Satsuki’s position. Yes, a lot of her appeal (at least within the narrative) lies within her sheer force of will – and by extension, her power. But that’s conveyed as a simple means to an end, and many of her subordinate’s mention how it’s much more to do with her indomitable personality. The problem being that we aren't ever really privy to any of these aforementioned traits, and so what we are left with is a pretty bland and one-note character. Largely existing as an aloof bystander, I suspect this is a ploy to delay the eventual gratification of knowing exactly what her true role in all of this is. Though, it’s becoming extremely detrimental - particularly as she acts as the centre that all this hinges on. She just isn’t an engaging presence…at all. Perfection is boring, and here’s the proof.

Conversely, Mako is the spasmodic heart of the show, exhibiting all the energy and whimsy that the audience is all too happy to share in. I'm pleased that they seem aware of this, as her presence only seems to grow with each episode.

If I ever needed a reassuring reminder as to why I shouldn’t even entertain the prospect of not finishing the show, it’d be the music. The true joy of Kill la Kill is hearing that crescendo, whenever an enemy is toppled. It’s such a satisfying feeling, that I would be perfectly content if the remaining episodes were simply an attempt in trying to replicate those moments, ad-nauseum.

In light of all this, it'd be only right to assume that I don't really like Kill la Kill? No, on the contrary, I do like it - quite a bit in fact. I just think that it could so much more, so hopefully it becomes more capable of scaling those heights, and with greater frequency.

Jigolo

So I guess it's safe to assume this series won't have a time skip like GL. We're already pretty late in the series and we still don't know much about Nudist Beach and Satsuki's mom's party are all about. Also nothing major plot wise happened until episode 10/11.

I'm happy for no time skip.

So I guess it's safe to assume this series won't have a time skip like GL. We're already pretty late in the series and we still don't know much about Nudist Beach and Satsuki's mom's party are all about. Also nothing major plot wise happened until episode 10/11.

I'm happy for no time skip.

I don't see why it can't happen later. TTGL didn't get its time skip until like episode 15 or something.

Evilisk

I mostly agree with this. Though for me, the music also doesn't really do a whole lot for me, and I don't really care about Mako either. Definitely agreed that I think this show could be a lot more than it currently is and hopefully Trigger can deliver

I don't see why it can't happen later. TTGL didn't get its time skip until like episode 15 or something.

A timeskip in this show is going to feel extremely tacky. TTGL had a lot achieved by episode 15, with KLK, I can't really same say the same

Kazzy

I mostly agree with this. Though for me, the music also doesn't really do a whole lot for me, and I don't really care about Mako either. Definitely agreed that I think this show could be a lot more than it currently is and hopefully Trigger can deliver

I don't care for Mako, rather I enjoy her presence, as there never seems to be any sort of pretence as to what her true role is.

A timeskip in this show is going to feel extremely tacky. TTGL had a lot achieved by episode 15, with KLK, I can't really same say the same

That's another thing that I've come to realize - the main conflict has remained static. There hasn't been any sort of progress on that front, except we've been introduced to the extended student council members. For as much time as Satsuki has had, those flashbacks have taught us absolutely nothing about her character. All we know is that her attitude has been this way for a long time. It makes me wonder about whenever the time comes for that mask to slip, will it even register?

Top Bottom