• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

LordCanti

Yeah, is she afraid or something? All bark no bite that Satsuki.

I think Satsuki's father is dead or something, it's like he doesn't exist.

Ragyo is the head of Revocs, but Satsuki's father (supposed or otherwise) is the head of the Kiryuin family as far as we know.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, is she afraid or something? All bark no bite that Satsuki.

I think Satsuki's father is dead or something, it's like he doesn't exist.
Hey, while we're running with the theory that Senketsu might actually be the reincarnation fo Ryuko's father. Maybe that's the same with Junketsu.

duckroll

The best thing about Revocs scenes is that they always mean more Blumenkranz.

You know, listening to it on the soundtrack doesn't even sound that great tbh. I think what makes the track really stand out is how it's used in the show itself. The chorus kicking it just as the camera cuts to, or pans on Ragyo totally sells those scenes. It feels like the money shot during a fashion show, right as a model stops walking and poses. Sogood.

Kazzy

You know, listening to it on the soundtrack doesn't even sound that great tbh. I think what makes the track really stand out is how it's used in the show itself. The chorus kicking it just as the camera cuts to, or pans on Ragyo totally sells those scenes. It feels like the money shot during a fashion show, right as a model stops walking and poses. Sogood.

I've come to a similar conclusion too. In fact, I was all but saying that the music was the best thing about this show, but now? I'm not so sure. I mean, it does have its moments, but robbed of context, I'm not so sure if it's actually that good.

Which in itself is a strange argument, because you can say much the same for most soundtracks, though I feel the best actually can stand on their own too.

LordCanti

Hey, while we're running with the theory that Senketsu might actually be the reincarnation fo Ryuko's father. Maybe that's the same with Junketsu.

Junketsu and her father are shown together, aren't they? He's all "this will be your wedding dress, Satsuki"

I mean, it could be the case that the Banshi are both of their fathers, but we just don't know that right now. I'd say it's more likely that a guy like Satsuki's father would just force someone else into being the Banshi. If that's true, we don't know who was around to...uhh...install the Banshi in Senketsu after her Dad died. Stupid Sexy Sensei maybe?

Evilisk

Junketsu and her father are shown together, aren't they? He's all "this will be your wedding dress, Satsuki"

I mean, it could be the case that the Banshi are both of their fathers, but we just don't know that right now. I'd say it's more likely that a guy like Satsuki's father would just force someone else into being the Banshi. If that's true, we don't know who was around to...uhh...install the Banshi in Senketsu after her Dad died. Stupid Sexy Sensei maybe?

Nui is Grand Couturier/High Tailor so maybe she was responsible for that. Also, even though Satsuki's dad and Junketsu are shown together, we don't actually see Junketsu active. Maybe at that point it still wasn't complete and was lacking its Banshi and it finally got inserted if/when he died.

Though I don't see any reason why Junketsu would try to devour Satsuki if it really was her father (unless of course there's something we don't know).

Kazzy

Spoiler tag your posts, people!

I'd like to maintain some sort of discussion (as I'm sure others would), but you're making it difficult!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I like how several people spoiler tagged "Nui" as if it made any difference. If people haven't seen the latest episode they can just not open the thread.

Watanabe: Your last spoiler tag is also unnecessary. Part of the problem!

LordCanti

Is this thread "if it's aired, it's fair game" or "spoiler tag all discussion of the most recent episode"? We'd been openly discussing spoilers, so I wasn't sure.

I try to spoilertag my posts if they pertain to the most recent episode, but then people post pictures of Vince McNui and my efforts go down the shitter anyway :p

Not that I'm the best at always remembering to spoilertag, of course.

duckroll

I don't know if it was ever discussed with a consensus reached, but I don't see any harm in following the normal format of spoilers for any TV show OT on GAF. If it's up on Crunchyroll and Daisuki for everyone to watch, I don't think the latest episode needs to be spoilered at all. If people are discussing magazine/interview spoilers or leaks, or watching it as it airs in Japan before it's up on CR, then spoiler tags should be used.

Seems simple enough to me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Have they shown Junketsu speaking with Satsuki? Indeed have they shown anybody speaking with their uniforms? The Senketsu == father theory is mostly because of the conversant relationship has with Ryuko

I can deal with
the Nui stuff,
but
Senketsu not really being gone
is what really gets me. God, just kill
him
off already. Fuck this show if it becomes Cloth Quest.

The back story and world building is still a confusing mess. The underground resistance, Nudist Beach, doesn't care for clothes yet their main opponents, the upper echelons of Revoc, see the clothes as beneath them as well. And there's the thing that the kamui get more powerful the skimpier they are. Ryuko and Satsuki are still messing around with the kamui while Tsumugu and Nui have shown it's not necessary in a fight. Ryuko embarking on a cloth quest is like a samurai trying to repair his shattered sword while his opponent is driving a tank. *blargh*

Is Kill la Kill definitely a one season affair or will they stretch this out further?

NotLiquid

edit: also
It's pretty obvious now that Satsuki wants to team up with Ryuko and take down her creepy mother. Putting Senketsu back into people's clothing is her way of giving the suit back to Ryuko without it being obvious, she knows Ryuko will go and get those pieces back. Why else would she leave her with one piece? Also giving her a blanket, hah.

If this is honestly where the series is going the show is well overdue any actual implications for it.

I'm going to be pretty pissed off if five or so episodes from now
Satsuki will do a "I was secretly good the whole time" twist and still come out on top. The only way this happens is if Ragyo screws her over, which Nui sort of implies that she wants to do.

duckroll

The back story and world building is still a confusing mess. The underground resistance, Nudist Beach, doesn't care for clothes yet their main opponents, the upper echelons of Revoc, see the clothes as beneath them as well. And there's the thing that the kamui get more powerful the skimpier they are. Ryuko and Satsuki are still messing around with the kamui while Tsumugu and Nui have shown it's not necessary in a fight. Ryuko embarking on a cloth quest is like a samurai trying to repair his shattered sword while his opponent is driving a tank. *blargh*

I don't think it's as complicated as that. Seems quite obvious to me that "clothing" in the show is just a euphemism for forbidden technology. Nudist Beach are the insurgents fighting against using what they feel is dangerous for mankind, Revocs is the world order which thrives on their ability to control this power and use it as they see fit. Ryuko is the unlikely hero who stumbles upon her destiny to use that power to disrupt the current social order.

Kazzy

I don't know if it was ever discussed with a consensus reached, but I don't see any harm in following the normal format of spoilers for any TV show OT on GAF. If it's up on Crunchyroll and Daisuki for everyone to watch, I don't think the latest episode needs to be spoilered at all. If people are discussing magazine/interview spoilers or leaks, or watching it as it airs in Japan before it's up on CR, then spoiler tags should be used.

Seems simple enough to me.

Well that's me out.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
My only disappointment was that
Satsuki didn't bitchslap Nui for coming back when she wasn't supposed to. Like "girl I JUST banned you from my school, did I stutter or something?"

I actually got a little too excited at that scene. Thought to myself, "Oooooooo she bout to diiiiiiie"

zeemumu

If I had to guess, I'd say that
each of the Elite 4 will get a piece of Senketsu, and Mako will be used as one of the possible hosts.

But this episode was really out of left field there. Reminds me a bit of Attack on Titan with
Eren dying within the first few episodes.

I think we're going to have to deal with a Windwaker Triforce-esque quest in the next arc.

Or it could be resolved like this.

CLOTHES_cca1dd_747731.jpg

daveo42

Banned
I actually got a little too excited at that scene. Thought to myself, "Oooooooo she bout to diiiiiiie"

That seemed to be the direction it was going and then it just fell flat.
My guess is that Satsuki is way to focused on taking care of the 3 schools that she's not going to waste her time and energy on Nui. Her goal still seems to be her mother, even if she's helping move Revocs along by increasing their marketshare.

It'll happen eventually, though I'm sure Ryuuko will be the one to do it.

NotLiquid

Something I really, really hope happens now that Mako is out there and about is that Gamagoori will be something of a surrogate guardian for her. Satsuki already knows how much Ryuko cares about her and will probably want to make sure that she has some sort of bargaining chip on her hands, and Gamagoori and Mako already had stellar chemistry in the previous episodes. The former is probably the only Elite Four member who actually seems to have an ounce of compassion in his personality due to his occupation.

Ryuko probably won't be able to "save" Mako right off the bat, and this is an interesting opportunity for her and one of the E4 members to get some more development. To be perfectly frank I think at this point that Mako and Gamagoori are the main reasons I still enjoy the show. Hopefully this can be the start of the other E4 members also getting some more development, lest all we're going to get is more rematches for the sake of more video game boss fights.

Kazzy

Episode 13

It still appears as though this show is simply getting by on a promise – one it increasingly looks like it may never (or simply can’t) fulfill. It’s sad really, because in lieu of showing more of the stuff I like about this show (the setting...animation), it seems wholly content to shove to the wayside, for more hackneyed, and pretty disappointing story. The main narrative conflict just isn't really shifting through the gears, even now. I've had enough of vague allusions and ominous starting, things have to actually progress at some point.

In fairness, this episode actually carries some momentum, but why do I always get the feeling that we’re being held at arm’s length? It’s almost as if they’re just waiting to initiate a huge twist to wow everyone with – if so, it’s taking too damn long (
particularly in regards to Satsuki
. Perhaps its expectations, because everyone else seems to still hold (some) excitement, whereas I think mine has just turned into ambivalence.

As for the animation, it’s essentially becoming a slideshow at this point.

daveo42

Banned
Let's be completely honest. Do you think Satsuki can beat Nui in a fight? Much less kill her? Lol.

It could be that Nui is more afraid of what Ragyo would do to her if she were to kill Satsuki in a fight. It would, however, be a lot more impressive than what we've seen between Ryuuko and Nui. Plus Satsuki has that badass sword.

Odrion

Banned
It could be that Nui is more afraid of what Ragyo would do to her if she were to kill Satsuki in a fight.
Nui basically said that Raygo wants to see Satsuki go berzerk in her Junketu, much like Ryuko did. And you can interpret that whole "Well, I'm going to do my own thing now!" thing she said to Raygo as winking and nodding about what they're really up to.

Satsuki and Raygo's conversation seems to show that there's not much of a family bond between them. Satsuki is kept in her position of power because she's a useful dictator that will help push clothing sales, Satsuki's only obedient to Raygo as long as she provides her with the means to be in her position of power. All the meanwhile there seems to be some cloak and dagger scheming between them.

Let's be completely honest. Do you think Satsuki can beat Nui in a fight? Much less kill her? Lol.

Its possible. I don't think we have ever really seen what Satsuki is really capable of. Nui certainly makes it look easy, but she is absolutely useless without the half scissor against a Kamui. She knows how to pull banshi fibers, sure. But when a piece of clothing has multiple banshi fibers, one shouldn't expect her to pull them all out effectively in a fight.

Let's keep in mind here that Matoi's father was able to cut that eye.

Avixph

For some reason,
Senketsu being shredded up & the fact they have to find the pieces now reminds me of the ending of Panty & Stocking. Hell, both happen on episode 13.
Thanks
for reminding me that Panty & Stocking will never air another episode.

daveo42

Banned
Nui basically said that Raygo wants to see Satsuki go berzerk in her Junketu, much like Ryuko did. And you can interpret that whole "Well, I'm going to do my own thing now!" thing she said to Raygo as winking and nodding about what they're really up to.

Satsuki and Raygo's conversation seems to show that there's not much of a family bond between them. Satsuki is kept in her position of power because she's a useful dictator that will help push clothing sales, Satsuki's only obedient to Raygo as long as she provides her with the means to be in her position of power. All the meanwhile there seems to be some cloak and dagger scheming between them.

Regardless, Ragyo needs Satsuki around right now to help push the clothing. Nui will probably end up getting the go ahead to take Satsuki on once Ragyo no longer has any use for her own daughter. Satsuki is essentially playing along right now while trying to work on her own objectives, which is most likely building an army to stage a coup and overthrow her mother.

There is a lot of background stuff going on right now, but I think Nui has to back off a bit until after Satsuki has reigned in and clothed the masses of Japan with Revocs clothing. All about that market share.

Kazzy

Its possible. I don't think we have ever really seen what Satsuki is really capable of. Nui certainly makes it look easy, but she is absolutely useless without the half scissor against a Kamui. She knows how to pull banshi fibers, sure. But when a piece of clothing has multiple banshi fibers, one shouldn't expect her to pull them all out effectively in a fight.

Let's keep in mind here that Matoi's father was able to cut that eye.

Satsuki seems more headstrong than powerful, it's her iron resolve where most of her ability lies - something that we see by her refusing to wear the Kamui for so long. Conversely, I think Nui's ability is belayed by her 'cheery' disposition, which makes her such an intriguing enemy. And without the scissor? You could say much the same about Satsuki if you removed the clothing and the sword.

duckroll

One thing I noticed is that there's a clear distinction between the "world" of Honnoji and the "world" of Revocs on the show. This distinction has also been alluded to in several of the show's motifs.

Satsuki's world is a child's world. She is extremely powerful and capable, but plays in a sandbox. As she grows up, her sandbox gets bigger, and she has more ambitious ideas, but everything is still a game. Her conquest of other schools and her domination of Japan is just a juvenile re-enactment of the Sengoku era, without the fatalities. I don't think she has ever killed anyone, nor has she ordered anyone killed, ever. When battles are lost in this world, people get embarrassed, not killed. When you fail utterly in this world, you get expelled, and that's the "end of the world" for you.

On the other hand, the world of Revocs and Nudist Beach are very clearly an adult's world. It's about business and objectives, not petty games. The stage is the entire world, not just Japan. And people in this world have actually experienced death and consequence. Nui killed Ryuko's father, she didn't just "defeat" him. He cut her eye out, and she lost it for good. Tsumugu's also saw someone he loved killed in a Kamui experiment. The stakes in this world are totally different, and it's clear that Ragyo lets Satsuki continue with her little games because they're of little real consequence and it makes for good training to see if her daughter has what it takes to graduate into the adult world later.

So I really don't think there's a question as to what the outcome of a Satsuki vs Nui battle now would be. Nui exists and works in a world where Satsuki's ambitions are just a grain of sand.

LeleSocho

Banned
One thing I noticed is that there's a clear distinction between the "world" of Honnoji and the "world" of Revocs on the show. This distinction has also been alluded to in several of the show's motifs.

Satsuki's world is a child's world. She is extremely powerful and capable, but plays in a sandbox. As she grows up, her sandbox gets bigger, and she has more ambitious ideas, but everything is still a game. Her conquest of other schools and her domination of Japan is just a juvenile re-enactment of the Sengoku era, without the fatalities. I don't think she has ever killed anyone, nor has she ordered anyone killed, ever. When battles are lost in this world, people get embarrassed, not killed. When you fail utterly in this world, you get expelled, and that's the "end of the world" for you.

On the other hand, the world of Revocs and Nudist Beach are very clearly an adult's world. It's about business and objectives, not petty games. The stage is the entire world, not just Japan. And people in this world have actually experienced death and consequence. Nui killed Ryuko's father, she didn't just "defeat" him. He cut her eye out, and she lost it for good. Tsumugu's also saw someone he loved killed in a Kamui experiment. The stakes in this world are totally different, and it's clear that Ragyo lets Satsuki continue with her little games because they're of little real consequence and it makes for good training to see if her daughter has what it takes to graduate into the adult world later.

So I really don't think there's a question as to what the outcome of a Satsuki vs Nui battle now would be. Nui exists and works in a world where Satsuki's ambitions are just a grain of sand.
Satsuki's ambition isn't child's play it's just that it's the setting she's in (school) that makes it different. I think we all agree that she actually wants to dispose of her mother and become queen (or CEO at this point :p) of the entire company. The no kill thing might be easily addressed to her personality to want to do things the way she wants and not because she's playing in a sandbox.
The whole child-adult distinction doesn't work imho... also because if it was the case why the hell the "adults" should interfere with child's play?

Dresden

The whole child-adult distinction doesn't work imho... also because if it was the case why the hell the "adults" should interfere with child's play?

Amusement, or it's a test/measure of her daughter's abilities. Either way it further highlights the gap between their worlds.

daveo42

Banned
Satsuki's ambition isn't child's play it's just that it's the setting she's in (school) that makes it different. I think we all agree that she actually wants to dispose of her mother and become queen (or CEO at this point :p) of the entire company. The no kill thing might be easily addressed to her personality to want to do things the way she wants and not because she's playing in a sandbox.

The only reason why the adults would become involved (if the above case worked in the series...it does in some aspects and not in others and the allusions to Japanese history are more on point) is for two reasons:

1 - The transition from childhood to adulthood, specifically for Satsuki. Satsuki knows that the world is a much darker place, but she's yet to see just how dark and cold it can truly be. She's seen glimpses as she's aged, but not the full picture seen by those at the top.
2 - The adults are trying to discipline the children for overstepping their bounds. Satsuki and Ryuuko putting on and using the kamui.

Cybran

Neo Member

Dr Matoi was alive after he made Senketsu so maybe giving up their Banshi doesn't automatically mean death.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JS5eaJWuC0

This clip clearly shows that Junketsu and Kiryuin don't communicate and don't have the same bond like Ryuko and Senketsu. That could mean that it's not made from her father's life thread at all.

LeleSocho

Banned
Amusement, or it's a test/measure of her daughter's abilities. Either way it further highlights the gap between their worlds.

Testing her wouldn't imply that Satsuki's action are actually adult-like?
Sorry but i just don't see it like this, for me it more like Satsuki saying "fuck this, i'm going to earn power my own way starting from scratch to show you how better i am than you" that why she doesn't want anyone from the corporation involved in her things.

Dresden

Satsuki is probably a lesbian and is in love with Ryoko, you heard it first from me folks.

i7UJB5f.jpg

Testing her wouldn't imply that Satsuki's action are actually adult-like?
Sorry but i just don't see it like this, for me it more like Satsuki saying "fuck this, i'm going to earn power my own way starting from scratch to show you how better i am than you" that why she doesn't anyone from the corporation involved in her things.

But Satsuki has no problem working within preexisting structure.

daveo42

Banned
But Satsuki has no problem working within preexisting structure.

It suits her needs at the moment and allows her to fly under the radar for the most part. Her mother knows Satsuki is plotting, but isn't really challenging or threatening the power structure yet.

Dresden

Are you talking about her listening about her mother's orders? Because that obviously double-crossing.

No, the point is that regardless of her intentions, she still works within the structure of schools, business world, etc. She doesn't 'start from scratch' and nothing we've seen points to such an intent - everything she possesses outside of her will is due to the power of her mother's company. Her problem with Nui is that she can't control the tailor within what was her world, not because the latter is corporate.

rexor0717

Satsuki is probably a lesbian and is in love with Ryoko, you heard it first from me folks.
I've been saying it all along, all this scissor stuff isn't just about weapons.

No, the point is that regardless of her intentions, she still works within the structure of schools, business world, etc. She doesn't 'start from scratch' and nothing we've seen points to such an intent - everything she possesses outside of her will is due to the power of her mother's company. Her problem with Nui is that she can't control the tailor within what was her world, not because the latter is corporate.
Yeah, in that flashback with Gamagoori saving that kid, Satsuki said that those bullies were just leeches, while what she is doing/planning to do is revolutionary. Or something like that.

LeleSocho

Banned

She does indeed start from scratch, in fact she explicitly say that she doesn't use the power of her parents but that she exploit everything and she's actually the one that controls the power she uses.
Which is also one of the reasons why they show the flashbacks of the Elite Four, to let you know how and when she started to gain the power she has.
Her problem with Nui is that she can't show her cards just yet (even if we know that the mother already know her intentions) but the moment she'll take over Nui will be a goner.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
What was the point of Senketsu absorbing all the banshi too? I guess we may find out later.

And if all his pieces are put into the regular soldier uniforms it'll have a lot of opportunities during the war to gather a whoooole lot of life fibers.

Top Bottom